Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,587 members, 7,812,913 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:16 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (612) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3019456 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) (614) (615) ... (2201) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 1:34pm On Jul 21, 2018
Even Beegeaglesblog seems to buy the idea of using tethered drones.

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by lionel4power(m): 1:44pm On Jul 21, 2018
Xbee007:
Even Beegeaglesblog seems to buy the idea of using tethered drones.
He meant a different thing entirely.

The meaning of Tethering a UAV to sniper and mortar teams is very different from tethered UAV over a base.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 21, 2018
lionel4power:

The meaning of Tethering a UAV to sniper and mortar teams is very different from tethered UAV over a base.

Seriously IMO the guys there r over thinking grin

Teams r better off with hand launched UAVs
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 2:04pm On Jul 21, 2018
bidexiii:

I don't know why the Airforce did not use drone to maximise the kill percentage angry

The UAV May not be readily available. A fast response was needed so an available jet was sent in hit the target.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by allexpensive: 2:06pm On Jul 21, 2018
nemesis8u:

UAV UCAV utility in my opinion is overblown thanks to western media.

I have witnessed sudden temp fluctuations leading to moderate cross winds forcing UAVs to kiss the ground.

UAVs cannot take off if wind conditions r unfavorable etc etc

only high capability high flying UAVs r able to deliver the required performance most of the times and importantly not all the time.

Even minimal optimal Aerodynamic stability in all weather conditions is a big ask for most of the UAVs

Also in real world maintening LOS links with the UAV is like a poker game of sorts . Atmospheric fluctuations more than often plays spoilsport.

UAVs must be utilised but in a complementary role, main emphasis should be on platforms which we can control more effectively and r immune to external uncontrollable factors.

Let us not fall prey to perceptions , real world is a unforgiving place for man and machines

100%
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 2:16pm On Jul 21, 2018
lionel4power:

Can you explain what Tethering drone to a sniper or mortar team means

And abeg add pictures of drone being tethered to snipers and mortar teams that cannot be used for base defense.

I don't know how drone tethered to a sniper in Jilli base would have been more effective than a tethered drone with birds eye view of the base and its environs.

*I think Beegeaglesblog is following this thread.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by lionel4power(m): 2:30pm On Jul 21, 2018
Xbee007:

And abeg add pictures of drone being tethered to snipers and mortar teams that cannot be used for base defense.
Tethering a drone to a ground team means tasking the drone to receive mission information and data from the ground team. And also to furnish them with situational data relevant to the operation at hand.

While tethered drone is a type of uav that receives and transmit information through a wired or wireless link depending on the technology involved.

Number 1) Tethering a drone to a ground team

Number 2)
a tethered drone
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 2:42pm On Jul 21, 2018
Xbee007:

I don't know how drone tethered to a sniper in Jilli base would have been more effective than a tethered drone with birds eye view of the base and its environs.

*I think Beegeaglesblog is following this thread.

Let's do a quiz of sorts grin

What is so contradicting about what beegsblog wrote grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 2:49pm On Jul 21, 2018
lionel4power:

Tethering a drone to a ground team means tasking the drone to receive mission information and data from the ground team. And also to furnish them with situational data relevant to the operation at hand.

While tethered drone is a type of uav that receives and transmit information through a wired or wireless link depending on the technology involved.

Number 1) Tethering a drone to a ground team

Number 2)
a tethered drone

Thanks.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:07pm On Jul 21, 2018
[quote author=Xbee007 post=69580353]

*I think Beegeaglesblog is following this thread.[/quote]

Sure.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidexiii: 3:07pm On Jul 21, 2018
nemesis8u:

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 3:32pm On Jul 21, 2018
bidexiii:
Sure.
I see.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 3:33pm On Jul 21, 2018
nemesis8u:

I can't see it.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jul 21, 2018
Xbee007:

I can't see it.

bidexiii:

The question is not clear ?

Well I will give the answer grin

What's the point in a sniper team having a tethered UAV ?

Is it not contradicting the purpose of the sniper team ie remain incognito

A UAV hovering with a cable running down in the middle of nowhere or a tower or a building is like a big Las Vegas billboard " WANT SOME FUN " grin

Or a fire magnet for enemy snipers.

The snipers teams don't need to have their own tethered UAVs when they can simply access the feed from a offsite high performance high altitude tethered UAV ( out of reach of enemy counter fire ) safely and covertly over wireless or cable links

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by lionel4power(m): 3:58pm On Jul 21, 2018
Xbee007:
Thanks.
you're welcome
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by lionel4power(m): 4:02pm On Jul 21, 2018
nemesis8u:

A UAV hovering with a cable running down in the middle of nowhere or a tower or a building is like a big Las Vegas billboard " WANT SOME FUN " grin

The snipers teams don't need to have their own tethered UAVs when they can simply access the feed from a high performance high altitude tethered UAV ( out of reach of enemy counter fire ) safely and covertly over wireless or cable links

the concept of this "tethered UAV or Tethering a UAV" is just a cool way of saying.... Using a drone on the battlefield, on a tactical level.

Simple.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 21, 2018
It will be fun though to have lots of tethered UAV dummies filled with helium placed all over the base.

grin grin grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 21, 2018
lionel4power:
the concept of this "tethered UAV or Tethering a UAV" is just a cool way of saying.... Using a drone on the battlefield, on a tactical level.

Simple.

grin grin grin

My personal opinion

( using u r words with my insertions)

" tethered UAV or Tethering a UAV is just a cool way of saying.... Using a mast mounted sensor on the battlefield, on a tactical level "

A aerial vehicle ( manned or unmanned ) if tethered is no longer a aerial vehicle perse atleast in operational terms wink

A tethered UAV like a mast mounted sensor offers the advantage of altitude and hence increased LOS
And is more manageable
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 4:43pm On Jul 21, 2018
nemesis8u:

The snipers teams don't need to have their own tethered UAVs when they can simply access the feed from a offsite high performance high altitude tethered UAV ( out of reach of enemy counter fire ) safely and covertly over wireless or cable links

That was what I thought at first. Snipers are supposed to be concealed but Lionel explained that "tethered" here was (as I understood his point) a verb. So a wireless DJI drone could be tethered to a Sniper team or Mortar Team.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by lionel4power(m): 4:48pm On Jul 21, 2018
nemesis8u:

grin grin grin

My personal opinion

( using u r words with my insertions)

" tethered UAV or Tethering a UAV is just a cool way of saying.... Using a mast mounted sensor on the battlefield, on a tactical level "

A aerial vehicle ( manned or unmanned ) if tethered is no longer a aerial vehicle perse atleast in operational terms wink

A tethered UAV like a mast mounted sensor offers the advantage of altitude and hence increased LOS
And is more manageable
Plus cheaper to operate and maintain.

And it can't be shot down cheesy
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jul 21, 2018
lionel4power:

A tethered UAV can be shot down
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Xbee007(m): 4:54pm On Jul 21, 2018
lionel4power:

shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin
What UAV can't be shot down?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jul 21, 2018
Xbee007:

That was what I thought at first. Snipers are supposed to be concealed but Lionel explained that "tethered" here was (as I understood his point) a verb. So a wireless DJI drone could be tethered to a Sniper team or Mortar Team.

To tether a UAV = to have a cable attached to a UAV

It transfers the power to run the UAV from the power source on the ground.

The cable can also transfer the feed back to the operator on ground or if desired the feed can be transferred over wireless link from the UAV itself
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by lionel4power(m): 4:58pm On Jul 21, 2018
Xbee007:

shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin
What UAV can't be shot down?

nemesis8u:

A tethered UAV can be shot down

I was referring to a mast mounted sensor which is way more realistic than a tethered UAV in today's battlefield.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 21, 2018
lionel4power:

I was referring to a mast mounted sensor which is way more realistic than a tethered UAV

Yes, depending on the operational requirements
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by lebuhsi(m): 5:12pm On Jul 21, 2018
off-topic..

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jul 21, 2018
lebuhsi:
off-topic..

Micro tactical nukes grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by lebuhsi(m): 5:33pm On Jul 21, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 5:34pm On Jul 21, 2018
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by ugo4u: 5:36pm On Jul 21, 2018
This is the nature of the treacherous terrain troops face especially during the raining season.
Let's always keep them in prayers.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by BlackBaron: 8:09pm On Jul 21, 2018
nemesis8u:

Yes, depending on the operational requirements
I would have said a tethered blimp but they're not exactly small plus there are bases scattered from town to town I think.
I'm not too clued up on what would not be cost prohibitive that moving becomes expensive or a logistical nightmare. Security radars are possible alternatives.

Another might be via use of cctv poles that can be assembled or disassembled. Our unstable electricity may be a problem. If not that, solar may be used but it has to be properly maintained.

If those systems above are overkill or expensive, perimeter defence should have minimum specs.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jul 21, 2018
BlackBaron:

I would have said a tethered blimp but they're not exactly small plus there are bases scattered from town to town I think.
I'm not too clued up on what would not be cost prohibitive that moving becomes expensive or a logistical nightmare. Security radars are possible alternatives.

Another might be via use of cctv poles that can be assembled or disassembled. Our unstable electricity may be a problem. If not that, solar may be used but it has to be properly maintained.

If those systems above are overkill or expensive, perimeter defence should have minimum specs.

It's simply

Give me ur

1. Operational requirements
2. Budget

I will have the solutions

Eg.

If u have a small base / outpost / observation post
Then

1. Mast mounted radar / EO on a mobile vehicle
Range of sensors 15km

2. Tripod mounted BFSR battlefield surveillance radar short range with optional EO , man portable and < 3 minutes to set up

If u have a battalion sized base in a active zone

1. High altitude Tethered UAV with long range EO pod , preferably mounted on a mobile vehicle along with a dedicated power supply vehicle. Range of sensors 20km. More costly

2. Mast mounted medium range radars / EO on a mobile vehicle . Mast raisable to 30m . Max setup time not more than 15-20 minutes. Range 50 km

In high risk areas solar power is not used , they r mostly used for unattended sensors along borders

Portable rechargeable power pack r used for man portable sensors.

For vehicle mounted systems , a power generation vehicle is used which contains DG sets

Range of detection for different systems varies with the different targets

Eg for tripod BFSR-SR

Crawling Man - 800 m
Walking man - 3 km
Group of people - 8 km
Light vehicles - 10 km
Heavy vehicles - 15 km

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (609) (610) (611) (612) (613) (614) (615) ... (2201) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.