Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,628 members, 7,847,628 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 10:43 PM

Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . - Foreign Affairs (994) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . (3060561 Views)

“If Mugabe Dies, We Will Field His Corpse As A Candidate For Election” - Wife / Photos: What Some Countries Gives Their Soldiers To Eat On The Battle Field. / Video Of Frightened Black Man Forced Into A Coffin By White Man Sparks Outrage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (991) (992) (993) (994) (995) (996) (997) ... (2203) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by AskiaHarem(m): 12:21am On Sep 09, 2019
EVarn:
UNITA's military capacity was actually crushed.

Is that an Islamic terrorist group with connections around the world or just some frustrated ragtags?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EVarn(m): 12:48am On Sep 09, 2019
AskiaHarem:

Is that an Islamic terrorist group with connections around the world or just some frustrated ragtags?
Quite more sophisticated than BH/ISWAP and Al-baghdadi's ISIS put together. At it's prime, it was a conventional military force fully backed and armed by the US, Israel, South Africa, and many neighboring African countries.

3 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by QuietMynd: 3:01am On Sep 09, 2019
Ng

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by keep2silent: 3:39am On Sep 09, 2019
If a man don't know a thing? No shame asking. Life can be simple.

Yes, Angolan Army lots of offensive weaponry crushed UNITA the best equipped insurgent, rebel, strangely conventional but guerrilla like force in Africa, scholars affirm it.

Post-War Angola by
Justin Pearce.

Published by Cambridge University Press, 20th November 2018.

Abstract:

The electoral support manifested by Angolan opposition party UNITA since its defeat as an armed movement in 2002 defies opposition parties prognoses for such rebel movements defeated militarily, who later recast themselves as political parties.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by bidex111: 4:41am On Sep 09, 2019
PRESS RELEASE

TROOPS CLEARS GWOREGE VILLAGE OF TERRORISTS, Recover Arms & Ammunition, many terrorists Lost their Lives

Following credible information from the locals about the presence of terrorists at Gworege village in Dikwa Local Government Area of Borno State, troops of 22 Brigade/Super Camp Dikwa in conjunction with the Civilian Joint Task Force, Local Vigilantes and Hunters, conducted a successful raid and clearance operations to Gworege community to clear the village of the crouching terrorists reportedly hibernating in the area.

The terrorists engaged the troops in a fire fight but had to flee as a result of superior fire power from the troops. Consequently, troops cordoned and searched the village and recovered the following:
a. 6 x AK 47 Rifles
b. 66 x 7.62 MM ammunition
No soldier was killed, wounded or missing in action. Unfortunately, a hunter was wounded, is receiving treatment at the 22 Brigade medical Centre in Dikwa, he has been stabilized and is fast recovering.

Many terrorists reportedly met their waterloo during the encounter, while others escaped with various degrees of injuries.

SAGIR MUSA
Colonel
Acting Director Army Public Relations
08 September 2019

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 7:10am On Sep 09, 2019
EVarn:
See the bolded was never emphasized?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 7:13am On Sep 09, 2019
EVarn:
Quite more sophisticated than BH/ISWAP and Al-baghdadi's ISIS put together. At it's prime, it was a conventional military force fully backed and armed by the US, Israel, South Africa, and many neighboring African countries.
And at that prime was unmatched by anything Angola had (Man & Support). Ugly history nonetheless.

If the dominoes hadn't fallen for UNITA's backers there wouldn't have been any 'crushing'.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Covert1: 8:23am On Sep 09, 2019
Kids know nothing come here and be ranting rubbish. If Boko haram/ISWAP was a traditional conventional/guerrilla force like we've seen with most other rebel groups it would have since been crushed too by the Nigerian Army that has the pedigree of destroying or keeping the peace between such state sponsored rebel armies from the Congo in the 60's to the Biafran Army, the Sierra Leonean Army and its associated insurgent groups, Liberia's Charles Taylor's Army to other sundry rebel organizations like UNITA. The difference here is the ideology. In ISWAP/BHT we have islamafacists terrorists who come to die not necessarily to win the war but to inflict as much pain as possible on the superior military power it fights. UNITA in itself was crushed by Angola with support from many countries like Cuba and Nigeria.

Nigeria especially stood out in the liberation struggle of many African states with material and financial support including in some cases direct clandestine military support by way of military advisers and weapons. So pls when attempting to bash Nigeria stop looking in the wrong places. The Nigerian Military today is better, is still very powerful, highly capable and maintains the necessary deterrence capabilities against contemporary african states including Angola.

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EVarn(m): 8:43am On Sep 09, 2019
Odunayaw:
And at that prime was unmatched by anything Angola had (Man & Support). Ugly history nonetheless.

If the dominoes hadn't fallen for UNITA's backers there wouldn't have been any 'crushing'.
True enough. Though I won't use the word "unmatched". The MPLA had a lot of support from Cuba, USSR and even Nigeria at a point, to the extent that withdrawal of US assistance to UNITA was part of Gorbachev's cold war demands.It was basically an impasse between the two sides.

But I get your point.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 11:16am On Sep 09, 2019
bidex111:
NA soldier with a British Sterling L2A3 (Mark 4) submachine gun

I stopped contributing on this particular thread until i can actually do something positive otherwise i am just making noise.

However, seeing this picture takes me back many many many years ago to my old cadet regiment in the UK ,the sten gun is relic from WW2 that's how old it is, it was one of my first guns i was introduced too. The range is effectively about 100 meters even within that its not great it has very little precision beyond that , considering the lightweight 9mm round it carries.

Shocking is not the right word i am shocked by many things but to give this too combatants i am lost for words.

2 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 11:21am On Sep 09, 2019
Covert1:

Kids know nothing come here and be ranting rubbish. If Boko haram/ISWAP was a traditional conventional/guerrilla force like we've seen with most other rebel groups it would have since been crushed too by the Nigerian Army that has the pedigree of destroying or keeping the peace between such state sponsored rebel armies from the Congo in the 60's to the Biafran Army, the Sierra Leonean Army and its associated insurgent groups, Liberia's Charles Taylor's Army to other sundry rebel organizations like UNITA. The difference here is the ideology. In ISWAP/BHT we have islamafacists terrorists who come to die not necessarily to win the war but to inflict as much pain as possible on the superior military power it fights. UNITA in itself was crushed by Angola with support from many countries like Cuba and Nigeria.

Nigeria especially stood out in the liberation struggle of many African states with material and financial support including in some cases direct clandestine military support by way of military advisers and weapons. So pls when attempting to bash Nigeria stop looking in the wrong places. The Nigerian Military today is better, is still very powerful, highly capable and maintains the necessary deterrence capabilities against contemporary african states including Angola.

To say something is better and or superior quality there is a need for comparison you do not stand in isolation and determine superiority.

So considering our GDP, size and population who are you comparing Nigeria too Togo or Ghana
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 11:39am On Sep 09, 2019
EVarn:
They actually did the crushing........Well until they lost all their foreign backing!
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by seankafor(m): 12:06pm On Sep 09, 2019
komekn:

To say something is better and or superior quality there is a need for comparison you do not stand in isolation and determine superiority.

So considering our GDP, size and population who are you comparing Nigeria too Togo or Ghana
so u carry ur doublesstandard from super eagles thread to this place too?
When it comes to steady power supply and insecurity and the rest, u no go remember say naija population and these small countries ain't the same..
But when it comes to military wise..u now bring your population size bullshiits..

Militarily, Togo and ghana combined cant match Nigeria..sue me to court.

U better go back to ur isolation and never return
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EVarn(m): 12:14pm On Sep 09, 2019
jln115:
They actually did the crushing........Well until they lost all their foreign backing!
It was mostly a back and forth thing, though UNITA has the upper hand in terms of territorial possession for a long time. However, the MPLA was in control of the nation's economy and oil wealth throughout the period.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 12:35pm On Sep 09, 2019
EVarn:
It was mostly a back and forth thing, though UNITA has the upper hand in terms of territorial possession for a long time. However, the MPLA was in control of the nation's economy and oil wealth throughout the period.
Well of course MPLA was in control of the oil and the economy..... They were(still are) the ruling party/government of Angola.
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Bundeswehr: 4:24pm On Sep 09, 2019
bidexiii:
German Luna X 2000 UAV deployed around Ansongo #Mali
#MINUSMA #Bundeswehr .
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by keep2silent: 4:50pm On Sep 09, 2019
Why Angola? Twas former favourite war talk in Nigerian barracks, Angola war was feared more than Liberia. UNITA got huge American help. Angola got foreign help. Nigerian army too gets huge MJNTF help from thousands of Chad, Niger, Cameroon soldiers, SF, fighting deep inside Nigerian towns. All Cuban military withdrew from Angola 1991, but war ended 2002 when Angolan army new offensive crushed UNITA militarily.

Motorized Infantry is the big difference, huge offensive capability of Angolan Army Infantry guns, missiles armed 1,500 AFV IFV that I wish for Nigerian Army Super Camp strategy to flood whole North East, crush BHT, ISWAP much faster than they recruit.
No need argue long stories of the war, face its final conclusion, Cambridge University scholars publication accurately says Angolan army defeated UNITA rebels militarily in 2002. We wish NA crush BHT, as UNITA was crushed. Why argue? undecided

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Covert1: 5:07pm On Sep 09, 2019
keep2silent:
Why Angola? Twas former favourite war talk in Nigerian barracks, Angola war was feared more than Liberia. UNITA got huge American help. Angola got foreign help. Nigerian army too gets huge MJNTF help from thousands of Chad, Niger, Cameroon soldiers, SF, fighting deep inside Nigerian towns. All Cuban military withdrew from Angola 1991, but war ended 2002 when Angolan army new offensive crushed UNITA militarily.

Motorized Infantry is the big difference, huge offensive capability of Angolan Army Infantry guns, missiles armed 1,500 AFV IFV that I wish for Nigerian Army Super Camp strategy to flood whole North East, crush BHT, ISWAP much faster than they recruit.
No need argue long stories of the war, face its final conclusion, Cambridge University scholars publication accurately says Angolan army defeated UNITA rebels militarily in 2002. We wish NA crush BHT, as UNITA was crushed. Why argue? undecided

ISWAP/BHT is not UNITA. The former employs asymmetric means as a strategy of remaining relevant in a war it cannot win - The Nigerian Army is not going anywhere for these are our lands. The UNITA you mentioned fell apart with the opportune death of its leader Jonas Savimbi who was at the wrong place at the wrong time and not any textbook classical military defeat as you insinuate. Your accounts here are all mismatch not true history. The type of kinetic means of warfare you advocate against ISWAP/BHT is not possible as they are not a dug in conventional army with positions to engage. This is CT/COIN warfare with an unseen enemy willing to die for "God". Kapish.

And Nigeria pays for the MNJTF whose rules of engagement allows for cross border operations of which Nigeria bears the bulk of combat responsibility.

4 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 6:39pm On Sep 09, 2019
komekn:

I stopped contributing on this particular thread until i can actually do something positive otherwise i am just making noise.

However, seeing this picture takes me back many many many years ago to my old cadet regiment in the UK ,the sten gun is relic from WW2 that's how old it is, it was one of my first guns i was introduced too. The range is effectively about 100 meters even within that its not great it has very little precision beyond that , considering the lightweight 9mm round it carries.

Shocking is not the right word i am shocked by many things but to give this too combatants i am lost for words.
It'd not be too hard to produce a pic of the famed SAS wielding one in this fading decade

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 6:40pm On Sep 09, 2019
seankafor:
so u carry ur doublesstandard from super eagles thread to this place too?
When it comes to steady power supply and insecurity and the rest, u no go remember say naija population and these small countries ain't the same..
But when it comes to military wise..u now bring your population size bullshiits..

Militarily, Togo and ghana combined cant match Nigeria..sue me to court.

U better go back to ur isolation and never return
grin grin
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Odunayaw(m): 6:48pm On Sep 09, 2019
keep2silent:

Forgive people like us that loves history.

That said, I agree that the war effort should be mobile( not sacrificing armor). More perplexing is how our SF are employed. Reading about the ingenuity of Rhodesian/SADF SF leaves me scratching my head over how the Brass uses them

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 8:00pm On Sep 09, 2019
INS Tarkash visit to Lagos

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 8:07pm On Sep 09, 2019
Odunayaw:

That said, I agree that the war effort should be mobile( not sacrificing armor). More perplexing is how our SF are employed. Reading about the ingenuity of Rhodesian/SADF SF leaves me scratching my head over how the Brass uses them

I hope u heard the news uncle Bob died !

I am going to miss his quotes embarassed
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by seankafor(m): 8:21pm On Sep 09, 2019
nemesis8u:
INS Tarkash visit to Lagos
has the Nigerian navy ships had any sea shore combat experience ?
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by Nobody: 8:28pm On Sep 09, 2019
seankafor:

No idea , am not informed on such matters

Others may know
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EVarn(m): 8:48pm On Sep 09, 2019
seankafor:
Yes, in 1967 during the Biafran war, the Nigerian Navy shocked Colonel Ojukwu when NNS Nigeria and NNS Ogoja cannoned Biafran installations in Bonny and in a spectacular amphibious landing, took over the oil fields in the area. Biafra's flagship BNS Ibadan was also grounded and destroyed while engaging NNS Ogoja off the Bonny coast.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by seankafor(m): 8:50pm On Sep 09, 2019
EVarn:
Yes, in 1967 during the Biafran war, the Nigerian Navy shocked Colonel Ojukwu when NNS Nigeria and NNS Ogoja cannoned Biafran installations in Bonny and in a spectacular amphibious landing, took over the oil fields in the area. Biafra's BNS Ibadan was also grounded and destroyed while engaging NNS Ogoja off the Bonny coast.
thanks for clarification.

That's donkey years thoor
Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 8:52pm On Sep 09, 2019
Odunayaw:
It'd not be too hard to produce a pic of the famed SAS wielding one in this fading decade

I didn't even know the sten gun was still in service by anybody.

One if the things I find very disheartening is the complete and total lack of knowledge of our oversight national legislative committees exercise of compliance and accountability with what's going on in the south East.

1 Like

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by EVarn(m): 9:01pm On Sep 09, 2019
seankafor:
thanks for clarification.

That's donkey years thoor
43 years is a short time when it comes to history, especially in the life of a nation.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by komekn(m): 9:03pm On Sep 09, 2019
Odunayaw:

The very heavy and unacceptable casualty rate of the NA can be explained primarily by the overwhelming use of soft skinned vehicles.

We send our highly prized special forces combatants on very expensive training courses across the globe.

Then when they return we stick them in the back of a soft skinned pick up right in the heart of the kill zone.

I am not sure if the NA has a definitive IFV.

5 Likes

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by LTGEN: 9:07pm On Sep 09, 2019
seankafor:
has the Nigerian navy ships had any seashore combat experience
The NN also saw heavy action during the 1990S They were responsible for the heavy shelling of the presidential palace of LIBERIA also for bringing MEN and EQUIPMENT to both S/Leone AND Liberia.
NN UNITY was also dispatched to GAMBIA armed this also helped convinced GAMBIA strongman to step down.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Battle Field Discussion (picture/video) Of African Military . by keep2silent: 10:02pm On Sep 09, 2019
Covert1:

ISWAP/BHT is not UNITA. The former employs asymmetric means as a strategy of remaining relevant in a war it cannot win - The Nigerian Army is not going anywhere for these are our lands. The UNITA you mentioned fell apart with the opportune death of its leader Jonas Savimbi who was at the wrong place at the wrong time and not any textbook classical military defeat as you insinuate. Your accounts here are all mismatch not true history. The type of kinetic means of warfare you advocate against ISWAP/BHT is not possible as they are not a dug in conventional army with positions to engage. This is CT/COIN warfare with an unseen enemy willing to die for "God". Kapish.

And Nigeria pays for the MNJTF whose rules of engagement allows for cross border operations of which Nigeria bears the bulk of combat responsibility.

I avoided direct argument with you because you are not a soldier from your writings, but I am a soldier, so we are not the same by orientation.

I didn't advocate tactics you strangely name 'kinetic means of warfare', I advocated proper Motorized Infantry AFV, IFV instead of our weaker APC, soft skin Jeep doctrine, for our new Super Camp offensive adopted over defensive formations. You don't get it, NA actually started​ 'kinetic means', but it's called- Combined Arms Offensive.

What I advocated is called ORBAT or OOB not 'kinetic means' as you wrongly called it. There's different between soldier and civilian, but we are all Nigerians. You won't understand depth I had in mind with that wish, it's technically beyond you my fellow countryman. Have a pleasant signal silent night.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (991) (992) (993) (994) (995) (996) (997) ... (2203) (Reply)

Who Has The Strongest Military In Africa? / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread / Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.