Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,280 members, 7,867,745 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 11:10 PM

Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 - Computers (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 (55563 Views)

See The Best Internet Data Plans / Bundles From MTN Etisalat Airtel And Globacom / Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! / Glo-1 Submarine Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 5:14am On Oct 12, 2010
goggs:

Like I once said on this thread, dont hold your breath on Glo. tongue

Meanwhile MTN has slashed internet prices, increase bandwidth allowance, broadened their package offers. cheesy

Awesome! This makes my e-life so much better! I didn't even know about it till I read your post! And even then I somehow forgot to check. It wasn't till I checked how I had left that I realised my limit was extended to 5gigs! SWEET!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tobyy: 11:14am On Oct 13, 2010
For real.I use glomobile for my internet and the connection is fucking fast i mean.So why the hate?I got a very fast internet now and am very happy.They just need to work on the cost of internet in Nigeria.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 8:55pm On Oct 13, 2010
tobyy:

For real.I use glomobile for my internet and the connection is bleeping fast i mean.So why the hate?I got a very fast internet now and am very happy.They just need to work on the cost of internet in Nigeria.

ehn!!!!. . .its fast, post a screenie . . . . letz see ur idea of fast.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tobyy: 12:10am On Oct 14, 2010
well do i need 2 proof anything 2 u?if u want to know if Glo is fast,why don't you try it and you will see.I can now download movies of 1.5gigabyte within 30-35mins.What do you think?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 12:16am On Oct 14, 2010
tobyy:

well do i need 2 proof anything 2 u?if u want to know if Glo is fast,why don't you try it and you will see.I can now download movies of 1.5gigabyte within 30-35mins.What do you think?
guy, if you're not going to post a screenie. . .waka far!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tobyy: 12:24am On Oct 14, 2010
who no b dis obontey wey dey run hin buca cavity?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 12:52am On Oct 14, 2010
you dont come here and mouth off without putting you're screenshots where your mouth is. . .either put up or SHUT UP
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 1:45am On Oct 14, 2010
netotse:

you dont come here and mouth off without putting you're screenshots where your mouth is. . .either put up or SHUT UP

Correct!!!!!!! tongue tongue
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by COMPAQ(m): 10:30am On Oct 14, 2010
Maybe tobyk lives in Lekki. I stayed in Lekki for a few days recently and that's the only place I've seen Glo performing very fast. It was averaging 1.2mbps, but in Festac, PH and Ibadan (the other places i've tried using Glo) it was crap
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tobyy: 10:50am On Oct 14, 2010
Hey,not lekki but Jakande Estate.But the connection is fast.I don't have time for insults.i don't know if u guys have business.If u do,u will not be commenting every minute on this forum
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 11:06am On Oct 14, 2010
tobyy:

For real.I use glomobile for my internet and the connection is bleeping fast i mean.So why the hate?I got a very fast internet now and am very happy.They just need to work on the cost of internet in Nigeria.

I second you, many people make complains without actually testing out 4 themselves, glo is fast but the issue should be reduction in tarrifs. Infact for the past three days mtn has been down in town. i use both glo and mtn and where i am presently glo is faster.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tobyy: 11:15am On Oct 14, 2010
Thanks Jare bro
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by COMPAQ(m): 11:27am On Oct 14, 2010
Well, one man's meat is another man's poison, I guess the bottom line is that these internet services differ considerably depending on where you are, distance to base station, quality of laptop or phone modem and the quality of the 3G network where you are. It's understandable that both networks would pay more attention to Lagos, since its such huge market. Lekki and Jakande estate may have had an upgrade done, while Festac/Ph area might not have, finito!!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 11:48am On Oct 14, 2010
tobyy:

Hey,not lekki but Jakande Estate.But the connection is fast.I don't have time for insults.i don't know if u guys have business.If u do,u will not be commenting every minute on this forum

Talk all U want. . . .but still put up the screenshot.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by zoraro(m): 5:01pm On Oct 14, 2010
puskin:

Talk all U want. . . .but still put up the screenshot.

He's either telling a lie or he doesn't know how to take a screen-shot.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 5:49pm On Oct 14, 2010
glo's service is generally bad in PH now, internet or voice.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 6:41pm On Oct 14, 2010
zoraro:

He's either telling a lie or he doesn't know how to take a screen-shot.

I think its both. undecided
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 9:03pm On Oct 14, 2010
flyuche:

glo's service is generally bad in PH now, internet or voice.

I left PH on the 4th of this month and i'm presently in benin, pls anyone in benin should confirm MTN has been down for a week now and so i presently rocking on glo. I'm staying around Etete GRA.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tobyy: 10:08pm On Oct 14, 2010
And is the Glo fast?Confirm
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 10:57pm On Oct 14, 2010
Djcn:

I second you, many people make complains without actually testing out 4 themselves, glo is fast but the issue should be reduction in tarrifs. Infact for the past three days mtn has been down in town. i use both glo and mtn and where i am presently glo is faster.

The question is do you have access to MTN's HSDPA service? From what I understand Glo still uses EDGE which is supposed to be slower than HSDPA. I know for a fact that when my MTN switches to EDGE it is much slower than their HSDPA service. I have tested also Etisalat which uses EDGE and it is much slower than MTN's HSDPA.

Going by Glo's site they have bumped up to 3.5G (like MTN) and their data limit is also 5gig's ( also similar to MTN though the cost for the Glo is still N10,000). What I want to know is:

1. Does Glo also have an HSDPA network?
2. When Glo is at their best are they as fast as MTN at their best (or possibly faster)?

Maybe I am confused but most people I have come across seem to have a problem with Glo's service. Also while I have not used every ISP in Nigeria, of the ones I have used MTN is easily the fastest and I live in an out of the way area (even if they are not perfectly reliable).

Either way I doubt either Glo or MTN are as fast as they should be compared to what you get on in advanced countries.

Also Tobby I am not trying to insult you but you really need to post a screen shot using speedtest or the results of one of your 1.5gig downloads. If Glo is as fast as you say there really is no need not to post a screenshot.

EDIT: Okay Tobby I just downloaded a 76.5MB file using a download manager which splits the download into many smaller pieces and then downloads them more or less simultaneous with average speeds in excess of 100KB/s (once even hitting the 200MB/s mark). Even with all that it still takes approximately 8-10 minutes to download. I just don't see 1.5 Gigabytes happening in 35 mins on Glo even if were faster than MTN.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Damix007(m): 1:58am On Oct 15, 2010
puskin:

ehn!!!!. . .its fast, post a screenie . . . . letz see your idea of fast.

@Tobyy

Pls do us all a favor n post a screenshot of ur internet speed. U neva knw how many clients u wil get for glo. Guys need a lil bit of convincing. Use printscreen key on your keyboard.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by COMPAQ(m): 7:52am On Oct 15, 2010
Djcn:

I left PH on the 4th of this month and i'm presently in benin, pls anyone in benin should confirm MTN has been down for a week now and so i presently rocking on glo. I'm staying around Etete GRA.

Quite right! MTN, Zain and Glo seem to be down in PH at the moment. I haven't been able to connect to MTN at all for over a week now. Glo has also been problematic for about a week. It connects, but moves between HSDPA, EDGE, GPRS and disconnects every minute or two
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by COMPAQ(m): 7:54am On Oct 15, 2010
Djcn:

Quite right! MTN, Zain and Glo seem to be down in PH at the moment. I haven't been able to connect to MTN at all for over a week now. Glo has also been problematic for about a week. It connects, but moves between HSDPA, EDGE, GPRS  and disconnects every minute or two. I figure a fibre optic backbone that deleivers data to the South East/South South may have been cut somewhere, probably by some construction going on. Funny enough the guys at customer service never seem to have aclue of the technical issues going on iro their network around the country.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tobyy: 3:13pm On Oct 15, 2010
www.speedtest.net/result/991509340.png

http://www.speedtest.net/result/991513579.png

Check yourself.And still not at it peak level.i will paste another tonight.Then u know that Glo is fast
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 7:08pm On Oct 15, 2010
tobyy:

Check yourself.And still not at it peak level.i will paste another tonight.Then u know that Glo is fast

Did Seun forbid U to post a screenie in NL?? undecided undecided

4get all those speedtest nonsense. . . .use ur IDM or BitTorrent to download sumtin and paste the screenshot here for all to see.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 11:00pm On Oct 15, 2010
COMPAQ:

Quite right! MTN, Zain and Glo seem to be down in PH at the moment. I haven't been able to connect to MTN at all for over a week now. Glo has also been problematic for about a week. It connects, but moves between HSDPA, EDGE, GPRS  and disconnects every minute or two. I figure a fibre optic backbone that deleivers data to the South East/South South may have been cut somewhere, probably by some construction going on. Funny enough the guys at customer service never seem to have aclue of the technical issues going on iro their network around the country.

Wow didn't know Glo had HSDPA.

tobyy:

Those speeds are pretty good for Naija. I guess I need to get glo and compare which is faster for myself. That said I don't think I have ever gotten 2Mb/s using MTN.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 1:38am On Oct 16, 2010
lumzi23:

Those speeds are pretty good for Naija. I guess I need to get glo and compare which is faster for myself. That said[b] I don't think I have ever gotten 2Mb/s using MTN.[/b]

huh!!!!. . . . .I have gotten even 3Mb/s using MTN. . . . so no biggie in dat.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Suntemi(m): 9:04am On Oct 16, 2010
O Boi see "speed war" for here o. grin grin grin
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 9:16am On Oct 16, 2010
well the highest for MTN on their HSDPA platform is 3.6Mbps and that speed is shared among all users connected to that cell at any given time t.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 4:24pm On Oct 16, 2010
puskin:

huh!!!!. . . . .I have gotten even 3Mb/s using MTN. . . . so no biggie in dat.

To be clear I meant I have gotten 2Mb/s using speedtest specifically. Speedtest is only reliable as general indicator of speed, I think.

I have gotten more than 2Mb/s quite a few times and I believe I have even hit the 3Mb/s mark a couple of times.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by abhosts(m): 7:00pm On Oct 16, 2010
lumzi23:

To be clear I meant I have gotten 2Mb/s using speedtest specifically. Speedtest is only reliable as general indicator of speed, I think.

I have gotten more than 2Mb/s quite a few times and I believe I have even hit the 3Mb/s mark a couple of times.

2Mb/s is different from 2Mbps. One means Mega Bytes Per Second while the other means Mega Bits Per Second. 8Mbps == 1Mb/s.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (20) (Reply)

Let Me Teach U How To Increase Download Speed Of Utorrent By 1000% / Let's Have Your "Computers Section" Complaints/Suggestions/Observations Here! / NIIT Na Rubbish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.