Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,818 members, 7,862,710 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 12:38 AM

Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 - Computers (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 (55528 Views)

See The Best Internet Data Plans / Bundles From MTN Etisalat Airtel And Globacom / Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! / Glo-1 Submarine Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 7:28pm On Oct 16, 2010
@abhosts I think you mean 8Mbps==1MBps. It's the b/B that differentiates between bits and bytes, so Mbps and Mb/s are the same.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 9:07pm On Oct 16, 2010
abhosts:

2Mb/s is different from 2Mbps. One means Mega Bytes Per Second while the other means Mega Bits Per Second. 8Mbps == 1Mb/s.

You are close but wrong. As jdoss pointed out, M[b]B[/b] means Mega[b]bytes[/b] while M[b]b[/b] means Mega[b]bits[/b]! Big B means bytes while small b means bits.

Anyway it seems that MTN recieved a boost in speed as well the Data limit. I am able to play Halo Reach with reduced lag so that the game actually becomes playable. Infact in the last game I don't think there was any lag at all!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by globalaid(m): 10:21am On Oct 21, 2010
at long last Glo is commisioning its submarine cable today, all the newspaper carry it.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:26pm On Oct 21, 2010
source pls? a link? i cant see that in guardian!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 6:15pm On Oct 21, 2010
4llerbuntu:

source pls? a link? i cant see that in guardian!

It has earlier been said that it will be launched this week. The Nation and thisday reports commissioning event for today.
Glo had actually wanted it for Oct 1st but missed the date, However i'm much interested on the impact the cable will have.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 9:44pm On Oct 21, 2010
You can find the Glo 1 article on ThisdayOnline.com. I would link it but the site doesn't allow for that.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Planbng: 10:51pm On Oct 21, 2010
I have been waiting for this fast Internet service to boost my ebiz!!You can get the info here about the Glo 1 launch:http://allafrica.com/stories/201010210865.html
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 10:55pm On Oct 21, 2010
Planbng:

I have been waiting for this  fast Internet service to boost my ebiz!!You can get the info here about the Glo 1 launch:
http://allafrica.com/stories/201010210865.html

That is the article I was talking about. Linked for ease of use.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 6:31am On Oct 22, 2010
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by crowned(m): 9:29am On Oct 22, 2010
So they have now finally launched it.Any info abt it?Have they advertised new prices?What are we going to gain from it? i'm really tired of this wait.I hope this is the real deal.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by COMPAQ(m): 10:02am On Oct 22, 2010
crowned:

So they have now finally launched it.Any info abt it?Have they advertised new prices?What are we going to gain from it? i'm really tired of this wait.I hope this is the real deal.

Not to sound like a pessimist, but I doubt it! At least for now!! If you want any significant impact we might have to wait a year or so before everything settles into place and it actually begins to impact our daily browsing.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 11:43am On Oct 22, 2010
Ok, the article says 'Glo u[b]nveils[/b] submarine fiber cable' I didn't read anywhere in the article about commercial launch. Remember they said the cable landed and two years down the line, no show. A year ago they said the cable has been launched, one year later no show. Today the  cable has been unveiled. I hope it would be a year before it will be inaugurated, a year after lit, another year activated and a year after that,   grin
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by abhosts(m): 12:17pm On Oct 22, 2010
goggs:

Ok, the article says 'Glo u[b]nveils[/b] submarine fiber cable' I didn't read anywhere in the article about commercial launch. Remember they said the cable landed and two years down the line, no show. A year ago they said the cable has been launched, one year later no show. Today the  cable has been unveiled. I hope it would be a year before it will be inaugurated, a year after lit, another year activated and a year after that,   grin

lol. grin grin grin
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Suntemi(m): 3:07pm On Oct 22, 2010
;d ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 5:29am On Oct 23, 2010
goggs:

Glo 1 international submarine cable was inaugurated Thursday for commercial use.

http://news.idg.no/cw/art.cfm?id=D594AB00-1A64-67EA-E4870E786415AA29
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 12:51pm On Oct 23, 2010
guys Glo-1 is connected since 20/09/10 for 3g and shortly after to adsl,

this is not PR info, a simple tracert or ping can reveal that,

If they are going to reduce prices or not, or if areas other than lagos will see any difference is a different story,

however, whoever is using 3g glo in lagos in a good reception area or even fixed adsl should have seen a huge difference in the d/l speed and browsing speed.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by smanuel: 1:28pm On Oct 23, 2010
tomcat:

guys Glo-1 is connected since 20/09/10 for 3g and shortly after to adsl,

this is not PR info, a simple tracert or ping can reveal that,

If they are going to reduce prices or not, or if areas other than lagos will see any difference is a different story,

however, whoever is using 3g glo in lagos in a good reception area or even fixed adsl should have seen a huge difference in the d/l speed and browsing speed.

True, Currently I have been using Glo WCDMA, 3G, HSDPA since September in Lekki, Its fast (2 Mbps for download and about 300 kbps for upload), even magicjack is as clear as an MTN phone line. and once connected it stays connected till you manually disconnect. Now that brings new problem, download limit. its still 5Gig for 10K, and i finish that in a week. so thats like 40K a month for 20G. Almost $300 a month for internet, not good. I used to pay $50 a month for unlimited bandwidth. Go figure.

NB: If you wanna buy Magicjack or US Sim Card (World SIM), I have it for sale. Call Sean 08130824076
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by ziccoit: 3:35pm On Oct 25, 2010
In my area away from where I am schooling, ZAIN was the first entrant followed in succession by MTN, GLO and last to come was ETISALAT. All of them came with EDGE network except Mr GLO that came with GPRS. Then the network efficiency was as follow ETISALAT,ZAIN,GLO then MTN. But as at this hour Mr GLO still crawling on GPRS while MTN is ruling on EDGE with downloading speed of 40KB/sec on IDM follow by ETISALAT and ZAIN.
Now if Mr GLO is still crawling on GPRS where are the promised cables that criss-cross the whole federation? Glo is more of shouting than action. I would not be surprised when it failled to deliver as promised. For me MTN is the best.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 9:48pm On Oct 25, 2010
In Abuja MTN rules my world. Its miles away from Glo. Glo is all talk (adverts) no show.

Glo sucks BIG time. The speeds i get from MTN are unbelievable sometimes. Just a couple of months back MTN was crap. I guess main one did the trick.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 6:51am On Oct 26, 2010
goggs:

In Abuja MTN rules my world. Its miles away from Glo. Glo is all talk (adverts) no show.

Glo sucks BIG time. The speeds i get from MTN are unbelievable sometimes. Just a couple of months back MTN was crap. I guess main one did the trick.
true. MTN is a technically superior company.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by COMPAQ(m): 11:48am On Oct 27, 2010
goggs:

flyuche:

true. MTN is a technically superior company.

Quite right. All said and done, MTN seems to provide the best service. I'v tried Glo and MTN in lots of locations (PH, Ibadan, Festac, Marlyand, Lekki, Anthony) and all things considered, MTN offers the best speeds and best reliability. Glo is fast sometimes, but is too inconsistent and unreliable. The only place i ever got blazing fast performance from Glo over a reasonable period of time was in Lekki over a 3 day period. MTN indeed appears to be the technically superior company, while Glo is more mouth and less action.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 9:13pm On Oct 27, 2010
Globacom Begins Commercial Services on Glo 1 Cable

http://allafrica.com/stories/201010270411.html

Glo1 puts Nigeria telecom dev on the front burner again

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/glo1-puts-nigeria-telecom-dev-on-the-front-burner-again/

STORY !!! STORY !!! sad sad

In another news, check this article out. I don't how true it is or the technical expertise of the company behind the network. Let's hope the competition keeps bringing down prices.

Mobitel rolls out 4G access

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/oct/27/national-27-10-2010-030.htm
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 9:28pm On Oct 27, 2010
Is it just me? This claim of GLOBACOM of connecting 13 countries in Africa, how true is it? I only know of Ghana, Ivory Coast and Nigeria. Where are the 13 countries coming from? I have never heard of a list in existence. Yet this information is on almost all Glo press releases. www.balancingact-africa.com once debunked that assertion.

Anyway, I will believe glo when my modem gives me reasonable and consistent speeds (no less than than 1Mbps for now. MTN is 1.8Mbps).
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 7:14am On Oct 28, 2010
In another news, check this article out. I don't how true it is or the technical expertise of the company behind the network. Let's hope the competition keeps bringing down prices.

Mobitel rolls out 4G access

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/news/national/2010/oct/27/national-27-10-2010-030.htm
[quote][/quote]

What's 4g here

http://www.mobitel.com.ng/PlansPackages/DataServicePlans.aspx
This is a bunch of craps
20k fo a 5gig data @ 1mbps, truly 4g
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 8:54am On Oct 28, 2010
Wat kind of data plans are these?? shocked shocked

4G indeed. . . . .I think I will be sticking wit my emptyhen afterall.

Very ridiculous plans.

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by COMPAQ(m): 9:00am On Oct 28, 2010
Mobitel must be nuts!!! How on earth is 1Mbps 4G!!! Many networks offer almost 2Mbps on their 3G network.

This same stupidity is what will drive the company under again. Instead of cutting coat according to size, Nigerian companies will promise what they don't have, without realising that it is a sure way to downfall.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:16am On Oct 28, 2010
leave this ones na, shebi dem don see mumu?

we shall see. i only pity the maga(s) who put their stolen money into this business. a fool and his money are soon parted.

how can you put up this kind of packages and be believing you will succeed.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Ifedisky(m): 3:42pm On Oct 28, 2010
Funny scums leveraging on ignorance to advertise falsehood. Ncc should really vet some adverts. 4G my tiny toe!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by salihuali1(m): 4:01pm On Oct 28, 2010
Does any one have an idea of the cost of equipment, installation and tariffs for the Glo1 ADSL or any useful links for such ?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 5:47pm On Oct 28, 2010
salihu_ali:

Does any one have an idea of the cost of equipment, installation and tariffs for the Glo1 ADSL or any useful links for such ?

. . . . . . ur answer lies in Mike Adenuga Towers on Adoela Odeku, V.I grin
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by EvilBrain1(m): 8:15pm On Oct 28, 2010
You guys shouldn't be so hard on Mobitel. The 4g they're claiming is just normal marketing bullshiat and has more to do with the potential top speed of LTE than the actual download rate on their network.
We should be happy that another company is offering consumers more choice. With both MainOne and Glo-1 now active, there's far more bandwidth available but prices are still high. This shows that only more competition can bring the price down to sensible levels. You can bet that MTN and co won't pass any savings on to customers if they can help it. They'll happily charge 10k/month forever if they can.
The more companies there are competing for customers, the sooner one will have to lower prices and the better for us.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 10:37pm On Oct 28, 2010
Evil Brain:

You guys shouldn't be so hard on Mobitel. The 4g they're claiming is just normal marketing bullshiat and has more to do with the potential top speed of LTE than the actual download rate on their network.
We should be happy that another company is offering consumers more choice. With both MainOne and Glo-1 now active, there's far more bandwidth available but prices are still high. This shows that only more competition can bring the price down to sensible levels. You can bet that MTN and co won't pass any savings on to customers if they can help it. They'll happily charge 10k/month forever if they can.
The more companies there are competing for customers, the sooner one will have to lower prices and the better for us.

They are centuries away from the potencial top speed of LTE(IMT Advance) I Gbps is not a daydream

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (20) (Reply)

Let Me Teach U How To Increase Download Speed Of Utorrent By 1000% / Let's Have Your "Computers Section" Complaints/Suggestions/Observations Here! / NIIT Na Rubbish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.