Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,037 members, 7,866,929 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 08:23 AM

B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? (23254 Views)

B.sc Vs Hnd Why The Critics ??? / B.sc Vs B.ed-which One Has More Job Opportunity / B.sc Vs B.tech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by zebra(m): 12:13pm On Sep 11, 2007
@HND-holder
Please help me advice people, especially youths not to go to any polytechnic. if at all they would go they should get only a National Diploma and get out of there; they should not near HND at all.
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by Hndholder(m): 12:36pm On Sep 11, 2007
DEAR ALL,
B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case is not settle o

To avoid future problem please after ND run away from Poly ooooooo

Have I spoken well?
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by zebra(m): 3:39pm On Sep 11, 2007
Hnd-holder:

DEAR ALL,
B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case is not settle o

To avoid future problem please after ND run away from Poly ooooooo

Have I spoken well?

Yes, you have spoken well. i wish they will listen and flee away from polytechnic and HND.
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by Hndholder(m): 8:21am On Sep 12, 2007
Even after HND with a Masters degree or PhD. They still treat you as non Graduate they call it non convoct.

When COREN  was looking for REGISTRAR so manyEnginners applied about 6 had HND,+Msc+ PhD infact 2 were university professors. They were fully registered engineers. Members of so many professional Associations.
They were never shortlisted because they had HND they were said not to be a graduate.
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by hamabra(m): 8:38am On Sep 12, 2007
@ HND-holder, please this case from all look of things will not be resolved except God's intervention,pls i want admission into ant skool that will give me any course for Bsc at 300L, I have HND Upper credit in Goelogical engineering from Kadpoly,pls any course for part-time cos am working already and would quit my job for now pls.waiting to hear frm u
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by Hndholder(m): 2:14pm On Sep 12, 2007
Unless you want Geology or minning Engineering. FUTA Akure can help
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by hamabra(m): 4:14pm On Sep 12, 2007
@HND-Holder
will they offer the course for part-time Bsc, if they will pls how do i go abt it.
thanks
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by Hndholder(m): 4:23pm On Sep 12, 2007
PART-TIME PROGRAMMES IN ENGINEERING NOT ACCEPTABLE TO COREN

The Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN), established by decree 55 of 1970, amended by decree 27 of 1992 and now Engineers (Registration, etc) Act Cap E 11, 2004, has the mandate to regulate and control the practice of Engineering in all its aspects and ramifications.

Within this mandate, COREN regulates, controls, supervises, accredits and approves all Engineering courses in the Nation’s institutions of higher learning, as provided in section 9 (1) of the Act, which says in part “… the Council may approve … (b) any institution either in Nigeria or elsewhere, which the Council considers is properly organized and equipped for conducting the whole or any part of a course of training, approved by the Council…, (c) any qualification which, as a result of examination taken in conjunction with the course of training approved by the Council under this section, is granted to candidates reaching a standard at the examination indicating, in the opinion of the Council, that they have sufficient knowledge and skill to practise engineering as a profession”.

In order to get this approval, the institution among other requirements, must (subsection 6) “…. Submit a syllabus of its programme, content and minimum facilities to the Council for approval before a course approved by the National Universities Commission or the National Board for Technical Education, or any other engineering body, is commenced”.

The Council has further regulated that Engineering programmes must run on full time bases.

In consequence, no institution can run any Engineering course on part-time.

COREN is therefore surprised to see an advertisement placed by the Yaba College of Technology in the Guardian Newspaper of Thursday July 19, 2007, P. 69, calling for admission into part-time Programme at HND level in (i)Civil Engineering (Structure and Transport options), (ii) Electrical Engineering (Power and Electronics options), (iii) Mechanical Engineering with Production, Machine Building and Automobile options, and at ND level; (i) Civil Engineering, (ii) Electrical Engineering, (iii) Industrial Maintenance Engineering and (iv) Mechanical Engineering.

The general public is hereby warned that COREN has not given any approval whatsoever, to Yaba College of Technology to run the afore listed Engineering courses on part-time basis!. These programmes are not recognized by COREN and as such graduates are not registrable.

Council also uses this medium to remind all other institutions of learning that part-time programmes in Engineering are not acceptable to COREN and graduates are not registrable.

Thank you.

http://www.corenng.org/news/part_time_engr.htm

This speaks to answer your question
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by zebra(m): 5:06pm On Sep 12, 2007
@HND-holder
Does COREN have any right to approve or disapprove any course in the polytechnic?? I thought it was NBTE alone that has the power/right to do that? What if Yabatech runs the program, and at the end of the day does n't write "PART TIME" on the certificate they issue; how would COREN know that it was through partime the concerned Technicians/Technologists passed through??
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by hamabra(m): 5:35pm On Sep 12, 2007
@HND Holder
Please am not particular about engineering courses cos i know is vry hard for it 2 run on part-time and the stress of combining with work,please am interest in ANY COURES in ANY UNIVERSITY that u know will accept my HND for 300L ON PART-TIME basis.
thanks
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by trakos(m): 6:47pm On Sep 12, 2007
Hnd-holder:

Unless you want Geology or minning Engineering. FUTA Akure can help

how do u mean by this statement?i was in FUTA last year for a POST-UME but couldnt gain admission to ELECT./ELECT with 53%.i tried to change my course to one of GEOLOGY,GEOPHYSICS,INDUSTRIAL CHEM & INDUSTRIAL MATHS but all my effort was in vain.i scored 254 for this year UME with FUTA again as my 1st choice but MECH. ENGR. dis time because the former is highly competitive.i am expecting the POST-UME result to come out now but i have another option of THE FED. POLY,ILARO(ELECT./ELECT) which is the course that my heart desire.
I need your advice.if the two admission click,which one should i stick to?08058102480
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by Hndholder(m): 8:42am On Sep 13, 2007
@trakos You must know one thing.

What do you want
Skill or Certificate?

Pride or survival ?

To me I went for skill & survival at HND level today I am PhD holder

Today I am an elected officer in an engineering association

All depends on you.
But I suufered a lot of discrimnation which I turn to Gold.
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by ishmael(m): 8:50am On Sep 13, 2007
@HND-holder
Longtime. Please let the guy go for certificate and pride; since that is what Nigerians want. Let him not go for skills and survival and suffer discrimination like we did.

My guy pls hussle to the last till u get admission into any university.
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by Hndholder(m): 10:24am On Sep 13, 2007
He can stay at home when he is 50 years old o.
He will then be an illiterate

Better be discriminated against and move on in life than staying stagnant and getting old waiting for one JAMB.

ABI!
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by Hndholder(m): 10:35am On Sep 13, 2007
@ishmael

long time How are you?
On HND We are back to the same old story o.
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by ishmael(m): 2:29pm On Sep 13, 2007
@HND-holder
so you mean Yar'adua's govt have not said anything concerning the discrimination of HND certificate?? I thought by now that thing would have been history.
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by Hndholder(m): 3:07pm On Sep 13, 2007
The minister of education spoke to us.
what did he say? nothing more than suspension.
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by ishmael(m): 7:01am On Sep 14, 2007
Why is Yar'adua's government always suspending good policies?? That was how they suspended soludo's policy too. I thought this government had focus before o.
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by Hndholder(m): 8:46am On Sep 14, 2007
May be he want his own government diffrent from Obasanjo.
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by ishmael(m): 1:24pm On Oct 20, 2007
@HND-holder

Long time. Has Yar'adua said any thing positive about HND and polytechnics??
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by Hndholder(m): 4:44pm On Oct 24, 2007
A committee was set up by coren/HQ/ET/Vol.1/15 on 25th of september 2007 on the New policy on polytechnic. No new pronouncement the old was not changed either
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by henrijin: 1:06pm On Oct 25, 2007
this disparity btw the bsc and hnd holders really pains me cos the hnd holders are actually better than their bsc counterparts.actually,the polytecnics were established to produce middle-level labour.this middle-level labour as i had heard comprises of the nd holders.so,what the difference since hnd is higher than this middle-level management.if u look at this critically,you will see that before you get an hnd, you must have done a compulsory one-year work experience.with that experience,the hnd is better than the bsc.for me,i hold a hnd in accounting and w]ould not do any bsc programme but would rather go professional.i suggest the govt should take a drastic step if the nation is to develop its technology.
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by ishmael(m): 8:54pm On Oct 25, 2007
henrijin:

this disparity between the bsc and hnd holders really pains me because the hnd holders are actually better than their bsc counterparts.actually,the polytecnics were established to produce middle-level labour.this middle-level labour as i had heard comprises of the nd holders.so,what the difference since hnd is higher than this middle-level management.if u look at this critically,you will see that before you get an hnd, you must have done a compulsory one-year work experience.with that experience,the hnd is better than the bsc.for me,i hold a hnd in accounting and w]ould not do any bsc programme but would rather go professional.i suggest the govt should take a drastic step if the nation is to develop its technology.

That's what they always say that poly graduates are better than uni graduates; but why is it that uni graduates are preferred to poly graduates?? That's the question i' ve been asking.
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by Hndholder(m): 10:04am On Oct 26, 2007
. University education is met to provide the nation with skill managerial position and decision making while the polytechnic education met to provide highly skill technological man power for the nation, As at today, BTEC HND, which is obtained in Britain could be liken to Nigeria ND, is not an equivalent of BSc. Why then the problem of discrimination between Theoretical Professionals (Bsc) and Technological Professionals (HND)?
This act frustrated parents who do not have the ability to send their Children to University as well as the HND holder. Not Every one can pass through University at the same time. HND was just then an alternative. The Authority then does not have option but to change and upgrade HND to B.Tech, and the Polytechnics to University. Former president Obasanjo’s regime already made pronouncements that the HND certificate will remain a legal tender in Nigeria and holders of such certificate will continue to be recognized as the equivalent of first-degree holders without discriminatory remunerations and limit to progression in the work place. Why should we now register as Technologists that bring no changes to our life when we can perform better than the degree holder in technological trades? We can as well be call a Degree holder? We will no longer need polytechnics again; let everybody go to university and get any degree he/she wants. Why should polytechnics exist in Nigeria when they are of no significance?

Pg 6 section 4.0 VIEWS & COMMENTS OF FG ON THE COMMISSION FOR THE REVIEW OF HIGHER EDUCATION IN NIGERIA 1992.
Says, "Polytechnic should concentrate on the training of middle level manpower for direct employment in industry as a support for university high level manpower. The fact that some other countries provide the facility for the award of degrees not reason for Nigeria to review the polytechnic program "
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by Hndholder(m): 10:11am On Oct 26, 2007
Some extracts from my presentations.

Other areas, specifically health care, have already solved the problem of technologists. For example, in a medical laboratory, the distinction between the technician, the technologist and the pathologist is well defined. This is due to two factors. First is a well-defined scope of practice. The responsibilities and authorities are set forth for each level. In case of the Nurses and pharmacist the certification and registration with authority gave them the ace. Each person working within a scope of practice must be certified or registered by an outside body (not like that of COREN with just one regulatory body) to have been trained to that level.
Another example is the relationship between the physician, the registered nurse, the practical nurse and the orderly. Here, for example, the scope of practice mandates that only a physician or nurse can start intravenous fluids or that only a physician can order medications. Areas other than health care use this system.
Educational community, administrators, teachers and paraprofessionals work within defacto scopes of practice that are enforced by certification bodies.
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by Hndholder(m): 10:30am On Oct 26, 2007
Some extracts from my presentations.

In 1977 and 80, there was an attempt by the Federal Government of Nigeria to scrap HND. The intention then was to create a pool of technicians and separate the technicians from the engineers. The mistake government made then was to implement it hurriedly, and then to replace HND with a lower certificate called the National Technical Certificate (NTC) and NND The students resisted it because they applied for HND programme and not NTC, which was believed to be of lower status. The government idea then was good but the approach was wrong. Nigerians need are clear court technicians that could read manuals, building plans, engineering layouts, among others and use them in building and effecting repairs as the case may be.
The idea of scrapping HND will lead to the production of more technicians at the OND. In Nigeria today, the HND system has collapsed because we have a lot of engineers who are job seekers rather than being job creators. This lead to the idea of MAFIA called the University convokes other professions have had similar things but were never marginalized so we took a step to make our members happy.
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by scientist(m): 5:31pm On Oct 27, 2007
angry angry angry DON'T MIND THEM MY BROTHER  angry angry angry IT'S JUST SHEER DISCRIMINATION. IMAGINE A FINAL YEAR COMPUTER SCIENCE GRADUATE COMING TO A YEAR 2 ND STUDENT TO HELP  WITH HIS PROJECT? I JUST HOPE AND PRAY THE ISSUE IS RESOLVED AND WE ARE ACCORDED THE HONOUR WE DESERVE  grin grin grin grin
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by henrijin: 1:23pm On Oct 29, 2007
if they still discriminate,then i suggest they allow hnd graduates who want a bsc (because of the need) to start from the final year in the university.if they start at 300 level,then what is the use of spending 5 years in the polytechnic system?
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by Hndholder(m): 3:18pm On Oct 29, 2007
We must refuse all this cheating called middle level, What is the value of ND if HND is still middle level? I beg go to University even if it means starting from year One
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by henrijin: 12:11pm On Nov 01, 2007
hndholer.that advice is very hard to take o.chai. u want to finish somebody.
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by Hndholder(m): 12:18pm On Nov 01, 2007
What do we do the Polytechnics not wanted so
EVERYBODY go to University
Re: B. Sc. vs HND: An Unsettled Case? by biggerboy(m): 11:52am On Nov 05, 2007
What now is the best way out for an HND holder who wants to obtain Bsc and does not want to spend more than 2 years doing so?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

4 Lead City Students Died In Ibadan Auto Crash Early This Morning / Oluwatoyin Ogundipe Back As UNILAG VC / 20-yr-old Osarieme Omonuwa Bags First-Class In Reading University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.