Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,878 members, 7,821,052 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate (65553 Views)

Senate Committee On Constitution Amendment At Eko Hotels For A Retreat / Reps May Include Age Reduction In Constitution Amendment- Dogara / Obasanjo Finally Replies Jonathan’s Letter On New Foundation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by 989900: 8:03pm On Apr 15, 2015
Done in Buhari's favour.

GEJ is not clueless after all . . . buying himself some goodwill, as 'good-luck' can't last for all times.

3 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by kindredspirit(m): 8:04pm On Apr 15, 2015
In fact, God bless you GEJ. Gosh, what a man! Even at the twilight of his government,he refuses to assent a document that would whittle down the powers of the in-coming government. It would have been easier to just sign it and place some Banana peels for his successor. But not Jonathan. What a man!

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by dasrackhor(m): 8:08pm On Apr 15, 2015
Makamuanwuo:
we don hear una,waiting d outcome of d retreat, change of gvt,change of constitution,change of house. first 2 comment and i dedicate it to my gf,my stupid guys. am feeling d fresh air of change
keep dreaming..FTC ke...wen bados plenty for nairaland...

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by Nobody: 8:16pm On Apr 15, 2015
EdCure:
Does Gej still think those executive powers are meant for him to use? No doubt the clueless one was instructed by his "advisers" against signing it because it was a ploy by the opposition to reduce his presidential powers and "sabotage" his government grin grin

They should send it back to him the next time he gets drunk. grin

Meanwhile, someone please remind him that Nigerians won't require his catastrophic signature on such sensitive documents after May 29th.
You lack common sense! So your low IQ thinks someone leaving office by next month is afraid of impeachment. APC supporters always displaying a very know sense of understanding since 1999.

9 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by Nobody: 8:16pm On Apr 15, 2015
Abayhormy:
[b]Yes, looking @ this man Gej, I just wonder why he allowed over confidence of the PDP ruling party/ power thing to prevent him from being grateful for the love that we showed him in 2011 polls.

I am Yoruba and a Christian, I wholeheartedly and lovingly voted for Jonathan in 2011, Against buhari and all other candidates, I was particularly happy when Atiku lost to him in the PDP primaries; but Alas, his performance especially in the aspect of corruption/impunity made me changed my mind concerning him because I was disappointed. Now I voted against him just like every true lover of our nation's progress will. But what we get from mischievous PDP is inciting our brothers from SS & SE to believe their "brother" was betrayed.

This is unfair for millions of southwesterners and even Northcentral/ Middlebelt Nigerians that truly believed in Gej and was on His side to herald the fact that a South South candidate must be given Nigeria's support to rule Nigeria, and hence voted him(In 2011).

Our South East Brothers especially are really getting it all wrong.

It was never about the West backing a Northern agenda. They argue the West did not criticize Obasanjo.

The level of awareness now in 2015 is different from the level of awareness as at 2003 when Obasanjo contested for second term. The social media was not yet alive then. Facebook was created in 2004, somany of the other blogs and our flexible access to the Internet came latter too.

Even then(2003), so many people dint have access to independent news broadcast like Channels & others. How many people had Dstv then, MAJORITY were all stuck to NTA, and thus cannot be really informed on the wrongs of Obasanjo. I repeat again, the level of awareness now is different from then.

Let's not give the Devil a chance. With proper leadership, we All need each other. One of the biggest Deposit of Iron ore in the world(said to be better than Japan's own) is in Ajaokuta(Kogi state-North central), Somany food items we need and consume are most suitably grown on the savannah soil of the farther North(E.g, Beans, Onions, groundnut, etc), The West has the only suitable land for cocoa, the major survival resource of the largest and most successful French speaking African country- Ivory coast. Oil deposits was discovered in Lagos, but no adequate commitment yet from any of our government to conduct more research and expand our oil deposit base the way US did recently and they stopped needing our oil.

Gold deposit is in Ilesa-South West. Gold is the leading natural resource of South Africa which many of us run to en mass for greener pastures, Tin is in Jos, Coal is in Enugu, Oil is in South South, How many can I mention? We ALL Need Each Other.

I Pray God will give us Unity, and Proper leadership, which we Lack, Need, Which I Crave For, and which informed many Nigerians Political Choice for Change in the recent past elections. May God Almighty Help us. Amen.[/b]

three out of the five eastern states 've oil... .

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by dollarlander: 8:18pm On Apr 15, 2015
Abayhormy:
[b]Yes, looking @ this man Gej, I just wonder why he allowed over confidence of the PDP ruling party/ power thing to prevent him from being grateful for the love that we showed him in 2011 polls.

I am Yoruba and a Christian, I wholeheartedly and lovingly voted for Jonathan in 2011, Against buhari and all other candidates, I was particularly happy when Atiku lost to him in the PDP primaries; but Alas, his performance especially in the aspect of corruption/impunity made me changed my mind concerning him because I was disappointed. Now I voted against him just like every true lover of our nation's progress will. But what we get from mischievous PDP is inciting our brothers from SS & SE to believe their "brother" was betrayed.

This is unfair for millions of southwesterners and even Northcentral/ Middlebelt Nigerians that truly believed in Gej and was on His side to herald the fact that a South South candidate must be given Nigeria's support to rule Nigeria, and hence voted him(In 2011).

It was never about the West backing a Northern agenda. They argue the West did not criticize Obasanjo.

The level of awareness now in 2015 is different from the level of awareness as at 2003 when Obasanjo contested for second term. The social media was not yet alive then. Facebook was created in 2004, somany of the other blogs and our flexible access to the Internet came latter too.

Even then(2003), so many people dint have access to independent news broadcast like Channels & others. How many people had Dstv then, MAJORITY were all stuck to NTA, and thus cannot be really informed on the wrongs of Obasanjo. I repeat again, the level of awareness now is different from then.

Let's not give the Devil a chance. With proper leadership, we All need each other. One of the biggest Deposit of Iron ore in the world(said to be better than Japan's own) is in Ajaokuta(Kogi state-North central), Somany food items we need and consume are most suitably grown on the savannah soil of the farther North(E.g, Beans, Onions, groundnut, etc), The West has the only suitable land for cocoa, the major survival resource of the largest and most successful French speaking African country- Ivory coast. Oil deposits was discovered in Lagos, but no adequate commitment yet from any of our government to conduct more research and expand our oil deposit base the way US did recently and they stopped needing our oil.

Gold deposit is in Ilesa-South West. Gold is the leading natural resource of South Africa which many of us run to en mass for greener pastures, Tin is in Jos, Coal is in Enugu, Oil is in South South, How many can I mention? We ALL Need Each Other.

I Pray God will give us Unity, and Proper leadership, which we Lack, Need, Which I Crave For, and which informed many Nigerians Political Choice for Change in the recent past elections. May God Almighty Help us. Amen.[/b]

Even Nairaland was launched in 2005. Seun was in Obafemi Awolowo University studying Elect/Elect when Obasanjo became Presidet in 2009 and 2003 Seun was in his final year.

The level of awareness that we have today was not there 15 years ago. How many phones can connect to Internet in Nogeria even 8 years ago? But now we have more than 70Million phones connection to the Internet and over 200million computers on the Internet.

I really agree with this poster. God will use this same Internet to foster unity among all the ethnic groups in Nigeria and I believe it is going to happen during Baba Buhari's government. Because most of the things the politicians make us to believe are not possible will be done by baba and the point of discussion will gradually begin to change and we will all be happy with each other again.

But I want to sound one point of warnings to all Non Indigenes living in Rivers state to be very careful, especially the Yorubas. Because I see the Rivers Indigenes wagging war against non Indigenes and asking them to go back to their state. Except the Federal Government intervene it may go out of hands.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by 989900: 8:23pm On Apr 15, 2015
kindredspirit:
In fact, God bless you GEJ. Gosh, what a man! Even at the twilight of his government,he refuses to assent a document that would whittle down the powers of the in-coming government. It would have been easier to just sign it and place some Banana peels for his successor. But not Jonathan. What a man!

If na OBJ . . . 'forgerrit'. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by TeamSimple(m): 8:26pm On Apr 15, 2015
Chine12:
GEJ..Nigerians will need u in 2019
Point of correction,bayelsa will need him in 2019..
Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by san316(m): 8:28pm On Apr 15, 2015
jamael:
jk
Young man. Pipe down.
GEJ used 101% of his political authority in His administration.
Just Like Mark said, try and get a copy of His letter, read it, digest it and see whether it'll be for the good of the vast majority.
Then you'll see that what you posted is just a few marks shy of sentimental prejudice.

The percentage I gave is not based on my imagination. Remember gej said he hasn't used up to 40% of his powers during a media chat. He just realized he could veto a bill right?
Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by sweetgala(m): 8:29pm On Apr 15, 2015
Abayhormy:

Bitumen , I'm sure with the development of fracking places like Lagos, Ogun and osun could become major cracking states

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by yusufbida(m): 8:30pm On Apr 15, 2015
Chine12:
GEJ..Nigerians will need u in 2019
Mai chau nu, keep quite nd stop saying rubish.
Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by roysean(m): 8:31pm On Apr 15, 2015
I guess GEJ rejected this because he doesn't want GMB to think he wants to reduce the power of the president because he's vacating aso rock and so that GMB won't come
after him for the trillions his govt has looted.
Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by sCun: 8:34pm On Apr 15, 2015
ITbomb:
Jona, what are you doing
?

whittle down the powers of Buhari so that he understands that democracy is different from military rule.

C'mon, do this last thing for me
I strongly believe Buhari has a hand in this. They probably have an agreement.
Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by netmillionaires(m): 8:36pm On Apr 15, 2015
Mogidi:

Devolution of power is what I stand for, with GEJ or without GEJ.
Excessive power in the hands of power-drunk dictator like Buhari is dangerous.

GEJ never abused his power like Buhari did in the 80s, jailing anyone that has the temerity to scrutinize his actions or inactions.
haba! U don't compare a military government to a democratic government. It is easier to be a president than to be a head of state. Military leaders need to use force to warn their comrades that they are truly in charge else they will be gone with the wind. While leading the people, you will have to be looking over your shoulder too to be sure that no one is trying to overthrow your government. Although it is not the best form of leadership yet it is necessary for stability. Different strokes for different situation.
Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by toprealman: 8:37pm On Apr 15, 2015
Franzeez:

Is this wretch OK?
REVISING FOR HIS NECO GOVERNMENT PAPER I THINK.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by dodoro(m): 8:37pm On Apr 15, 2015
Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by sCun: 8:39pm On Apr 15, 2015
roysean:
I guess GEJ rejected this because he doesn't want GMB to think he wants to reduce the power of the president because he's vacating aso rock and so that GMB won't come
after him for the trillions his govt has looted.
Exactly!

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by Mogidi: 8:39pm On Apr 15, 2015
netmillionaires:

haba! U don't compare a military government to a democratic government. It is easier to be a president than to be a head of state. Military leaders need to use force to warn their comrades that they are truly in charge else they will be gone with the win. While leader the people, you will have to be looking over your shoulder too to be sure that no one is trying to overthrow your government. Although it is not the best fom of leadership yet it is necessary for stability. Different strokes for different situation.

I already answered the above here.

Don't be silly, Buhari was not the only one that operated using military decrees.
Gowon, Murtala Mohammed, Abdulsalami Abubakar, Obasanjo, Babangida all ruled with decrees but non was more anti criticism than Buhari.
Try checking El-Rufai and Sheikh Gumi's assessment of Buhari as a person. His ideas and intransigences are monolithic, hates advice and any thought of concession, recipe for disaster.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 15, 2015
I'm totally in favor of reducing the enormous powers of the president. I would love to see a law that takes away the president's power of arbitrarily allocating oil blocks to cronies; and giving the National Assembly a little more say in military matters.

On the 2nd point, I'll propose that military bases/divisions can only be created or closed down with the consent of a simple majority in both houses of the NASS.
Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by shellworker: 8:40pm On Apr 15, 2015
You sound intelligent and I respect your write up. Honestly I am one of the many Nigerians who feel president Jonathan was betrayed. But as you intelligently put it, we need each other. Many Nairalanders who rant and spew all sorts of rubbish own to bias, tribalism and bigotry should take a clue from your write up and be matured.

Abayhormy:

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by Nobody: 8:41pm On Apr 15, 2015
GEJ only commmuicating by letters by order of America.
GEJ & his team will not make any speeches or hold any live radio or tv interviews in the next few weeks.

America is stage-managing things at the moment and cannot afford any gaffs from GEJ or his cabinet or spokespersons to ruin the script that would be played out in the coming days or weeks to stop Buhari or APC and replace with a stooge they can trust to oversee the disintegration of Nigeria.

Can we not organise protest asking America to let us be and that nothing must happen to our president elect.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by omolami: 8:45pm On Apr 15, 2015
why is the NASS trying to cajoule Gej to sign into law what they have presented that did not conform with Nigerian 1999 Constitution If the NASS is sincere in their dealings they should awaut President elect to assent his signaature. Or are the members afraid Buhari will not also? They fear Buhari more than Jonathan bec of his posture of being simple. My advise is that the NASS should awaut Buhari to assent to it and not Gej that is outgoing if they are sincere.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by dondo83(m): 8:50pm On Apr 15, 2015
Mogidi:

Devolution of power is what I stand for, with GEJ or without GEJ.
Excessive power in the hands of power-drunk dictator like Buhari is dangerous.

GEJ never abused his power like Buhari did in the 80s, jailing anyone that has the temerity to scrutinize his actions or inactions.

comparing buhari and gej's administration is very wrong , the former was a military leader while the latter is a democratic leader. in fact with so much impunity im gejs administration , he would have been a ghadaafi kind of ruler assuming he was the president in the military dispensation

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by netmillionaires(m): 8:50pm On Apr 15, 2015
Mogidi:

I already answered the above here.

Let me not go about arguing this point. I don't really have much time for argument today. But if U look deeply into their actions u will hardly see any difference. Look at Abacha. even Obasanjo in d present dispensation show what military rule is all about. I will only classify AbdulSallam Abubakar as a custodian. He is just there to put thing in place for formal handover to civillian govt...
A history of military rule will explain better.
Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by HouseT: 9:11pm On Apr 15, 2015
But why at this time?..I can't blame those tearing their party card...mitsweee.
Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by wiseguy(m): 9:12pm On Apr 15, 2015
Abayhormy:

No! Its the South East politicians that got it wrong. And you know why they succeeded? Because the average Igbo man really don't care which is also dangerous. They allowed the politicians to manipulate the process. Forget the vote tally in SE. It was never a true reflection of the voting. See what has happened at the Gubernatorial election. At the end of the day, PDP will only win in 2 SE states because I see Imo going to APC and Abia going to APGA. Anambra is already APGA. So out of 5 states, PDP gets only two. The same way PDP has 2 states in SW. So PDP is not dominating SE. I will like to see SE have a regional party like APGA that will constantly form an alliance with other parties at the center but maintain its foothold in the SE. That is what Tinubu did with APC. Like Tinubu or hate him, I love his foresight and that is what I had expected my self-serving Igbo politicians to do. Igbos do not need to join APC or PDP but have a regional party that can be used as a bargaining chip when necessary. Gov Okorocha understood this point but ex-Gov Peter Obi was busy chasing away flies from GEJ and refused to see beyond his nose and later abandoned the APGA to PDP. Very unfortunate.

Sometimes I wonder the kind of support we Igbos are allegedly giving to GEJ whereas in nearby port harcourt an Igbo man is labelled a non-indigene. You find it difficult to get employment, get contract or even do business in port harcourt as an Igbo man and yet GEJ is supposed to be our brother.

4 Likes

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by mikolo80: 9:26pm On Apr 15, 2015
scribble:

You mean rigged him out. Almajiris like y'all. undecided
Can't rig where you're not popular
Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by naijafresh: 9:27pm On Apr 15, 2015
The only amendment the constitution needs is a repeal of those laws giving 25% of the nations budget to that bunch of criminals called politicians

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by dayodare49o: 9:28pm On Apr 15, 2015
Liars.
Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by SIRICE(m): 9:29pm On Apr 15, 2015
EdCure:

Why do you choose to be among those who lack basic understanding of the difference between the type of govt that Buhari presided over in the 80s and what is obtainable in the current dispensation? It is quite damaging to be willfully ignorant out of convenience.

Even at that, did GEJ not abuse his powers by notoriously haunting, and embarrassing Amaechi and almost setting up a parallel govt in the state?
It's on record that Opposition governors and leaders were placed under surveillance and sometimes had their movements restricted. Or you want to tell me that there was someone else running the government on behalf of GEJ, committing those abuses?

more like justifying a thief cause its a thiefrocracy government. mumu.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 15, 2015
san316:
If he had been doing things the right way from the beginning, I don't think they would be shocked. They are just surprised that he grew balls at the last minute not withstanding the ambiguous reasons for rejecting the bill.

What a president!!!

For six years he was watching terrorist build empires for themselves in the country but suddenly used just six weeks to reduce terrorism by 80%.

For six years, he has been using just 30% of his powers and now that he has just six weeks to leave, he wants to use the remaining 70%.

Yeye. GEJ now trying to man up when he has already been manned down. Too late.

GEJ here is not trying to protect his interest, but that of the incoming govt. Show some respect man.

1 Like

Re: Jonathan’s Letter On Constitution Amendment Shocks Senate by freshdude99(m): 9:54pm On Apr 15, 2015
EdCure:
Does Gej still think those executive powers are meant for him to use? No doubt the clueless one was instructed by his "advisers" against signing it because it was a ploy by the opposition to reduce his presidential powers and "sabotage" his government grin grin

They should send it back to him the next time he gets drunk. grin

Meanwhile, someone please remind him that Nigerians won't require his catastrophic signature on such sensitive documents after May 29th.
Can you just listen to urself and hear how foolish u sound #pathetic ediot

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Rochas Okorocha, Uche Nwosu Organize Protest Against APC (Photos) / Picture Of Buhari And His Men As They Arrive Paris Has Got People Fascinated / Portrait Of The First Lady Aisha Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.