Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? (13010 Views)

5 Reasons Why Christians Dont Receive Answers To Their Prayers / How Effective Is Mountain Prayers ??? / Prophetic Warfare Prayers For Destroying Witchcraft Spiritual Feedings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by faithin9ja: 12:32pm On Apr 19, 2015
[quote author=holyokoto post=32880471]no Matthew 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

[b]Matthew 6:23-34 [/b]And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. ...

I wonder why many churches kept doin this, and is some times boring. I believe 1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons. has it all
[/quote]

Because most Pentecostals and Prayers warriors do NOT believe in Jesus. They will continue to preach and pray with old Jewish mantra from the Old Testament to support their arguments and subsequent long prayers.

You have quoted Jesus response to long prayers, this is totally ignored by my so-called prayer warriors.

See the somebody's answer below,and this person will say he or she is a Christian too?

44. Kei144(m): Quote Post
Everything depends on the extent of your spiritual knowledge and attainment. Long prayer is necessary when the minister of the gospel or child of God is preparing her/himself in solitude. When ministering, or handling a problem, in the public, prayer should be very short. In fact, it should be more of decreeing (Job 22:28). The decree will be done if you built up enough divine power in you while you prepared in solitude.

[b]Ph. 4:13 I [/b]can do everything through him who gives me strength

1 Like

Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by talk2chixy(m): 12:40pm On Apr 19, 2015
kunletiwoo:
IMO... Lack of faith is the reason behind every LONG prayers

***Modified***

Biblical Ref: Matthew 6:7

Very very true. Why do we want to be like the pharasees with long repetitive prayers as if God were a robot. Bible says even before we as, He has answered and while we are still speaking, He has heard. So why lack faith with long prayers?

In fact, we should do much more of speaking in tongues than words we can understand (doing this in private prayer sessions, edifying yourself)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by hamilton62(m): 12:42pm On Apr 19, 2015
AlphaDray:
the FAITH one have in GOD believing ur prayers are Answered
Prayers without faith is just a conversation without interest... Faith brings the result...faith is likened to when a man is asked to sit on a bad chair that he won't fall when your physical eyes and being know that you must fall but you decide to see beyond the physical and believe that you won't... Then you won't (that's you prayers are answered.
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by U2ice(m): 12:47pm On Apr 19, 2015
I tire oo, d worst is wen Pastors shout "pray! Pray!! I can't hear you"..mehn I b like WTF must u hear me?
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by AlphaDray: 12:48pm On Apr 19, 2015
What u guys are forgetting is that this world is not a place u just come to have fun n forget ur purpose here on earth. There are forces we need to fight and conquer forces by force. Before the world came to be, the kindom of God surffered violence, and the violent it by force. Its true some are only being hypocritical when it come to long prayers but there others that genuinely pray this long prayers for a Reason and you can't blame them nor judge them cos its that wear the sheos that knows where it Hurts

1 Like

Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by AlphaDray: 12:50pm On Apr 19, 2015
What u guys are forgetting is that this world is not a place u just come to have fun n forget ur purpose here on earth. There are forces we need to fight and conquer forces by force. Before the world came to be, the kindom of God surffered violence, and the violent it by force. Its true some are only being hypocritical when it come to long prayers but there others that genuinely pray this long prayers for a Reason and you can't blame them nor judge them cos its does that wear the sheo that knows where it Hurts

1 Like

Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by kuzee(m): 1:00pm On Apr 19, 2015
when the spirit lead, you cant ever lost interest
but on the other hand you can talk to your girlfriend all day without getting tired..
it aint a matter of been effective but what is within you..

1 Like

Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by hamilton62(m): 1:01pm On Apr 19, 2015
faithin9ja:
[quote author=holyokoto post=32880471]no Matthew 6:7 But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

[b]Matthew 6:23-34 [/b]And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. ...

I wonder why many churches kept doin this, and is some times boring. I believe 1 Timothy 4:1 Now the Spirit expressly says that in later times some will depart from the faith by devoting themselves to deceitful spirits and teachings of demons. has it all

Because most Pentecostals and Prayers warriors do NOT believe in Jesus. They will continue to preach and pray with old Jewish mantra from the Old Testament to support their arguments and subsequent long prayers.

You have quoted Jesus response to long prayers, this is totally ignored by my so-called prayer warriors.

See the somebody's answer below,and this person will say he or she is a Christian too?

Everything depends on the extent of your spiritual knowledge and attainment. Long prayer is necessary when the minister of the gospel or child of God is preparing her/himself in solitude. When ministering, or handling a problem, in the public, prayer should be very short. In fact, it should be more of decreeing (Job 22:28). The decree will be done if you built up enough divine power in you while you prepared in solitude.

Please, invite the Holy spirit before studying the word of God...
Your level determines how long you last in prayers because it's a supplication and exercise of one's right in christidom depending on the situation...
If you are praying with your consciousness about people around without channelling to God in totality then this part of the bible will come to play and you will use words to appease the listeners.
Not every time long prayers are made but remember, long prayers when made rightly are like reservoirs that you tap from when an emergency situation that will need the service of long prayers but there's no time for it... We prepare sometimes with long prayers but not always because we are not ignorance of the devices of the devil... If long prayer is bad, the you mean there's no relevance for the grace of prayers?
Every Christian programme you attend that's brief has been prepared for with long prayers but in the programme, short prayers were made and most times you see the manifestation of God's presence and you think it was all made for at that time without understanding the pre-long and most times exhausting prayers made.
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by AlphaDray: 1:02pm On Apr 19, 2015
This shouldn't b a discussion we know our bible well.
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by AlphaDray: 1:04pm On Apr 19, 2015
kuzee:
when the spirit lead, you cant ever lost interest
but on the other hand you can talk to your girlfriend all day without getting tired..
it aint a matter of been effective but what is within you..
good point
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by AlphaDray: 1:07pm On Apr 19, 2015
talk2chixy:

Very very true. Why do we want to be like the pharasees with long repetitive prayers as if God were a robot. Bible says even before we as, He has answered and while we are still speaking, He has heard. So why lack faith with long prayers?
In fact, we should do much more of speaking in tongues than words we can understand (doing this in private prayer sessions, edifying yourself)
so u have faith?
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by AlphaDray: 1:10pm On Apr 19, 2015
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by AlphaDray: 1:20pm On Apr 19, 2015
?
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by Okwori12(m): 1:27pm On Apr 19, 2015
Long or shot prayer, what mattes is the heart and motive behind your prayer is what matters.
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Apr 19, 2015
BiHung:
Lol

Christians will never seize to amaze me.

How can you expect people to close their eyes for One Good Hour?

Nna this is wicked o

At some point you start peeping and peeping...chai!

The worst part is when you think the pastor is about to round up the prayer...only for him to say "now i want you to remember our brethren in south africa.."... Nna e..na now prayer just dey start ooo..after 1hour already...wetin?? Wetin? Na we kill jesus?

Loool grin
The one i hate the most is telling me to open my mouth & pray for this,pray for that... When you can just pray at a goal & tell God your problem

1 Like

Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by Nobody: 2:01pm On Apr 19, 2015
Blackchampion:
Bro prayers help a lot... without God ye can do nothing...

1 Like

Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by TOPMAN4LIFE: 2:33pm On Apr 19, 2015
If u form d habit of praying long, God wil begin to talk back to u thru Holy Spirit, stil voice, dream & divine revelation.
U wil not b able to hear God if u want to rush in & out of God prescence in prayer.
In Matthew 26:40, Jesus told Peter & some disciples dt they could not watch with Him in prayer just 4 one hour.
Psalm 55:17 says David prays in d morning, afternoon & night.
It is what l do & it is working 4 me, sometimes I pray 4 four hours. Prayer involves praise& thanksgiving & not only requests.
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by Blackchampion(m): 2:39pm On Apr 19, 2015
crixtex:

Bro prayers help a lot... without God ye can do nothing...
Yea! I know. But those long prayers mehnnnnn
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by Nobody: 2:44pm On Apr 19, 2015
Blackchampion:
Yea! I know. But those long prayers mehnnnnn
Yea its true honestly...

1 Like

Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by queebeediva(f): 3:19pm On Apr 19, 2015
For me praying should be a committment between one and his creatior and wether it is short or long if there is no committment between you and your creator then that prayer is as good as usless . Understand God and practices his words and most expecially be transparent in whatever you do.

1 Like

Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by Hope6289(f): 3:19pm On Apr 19, 2015
It's not about the length, it's about the heart!

1 Like

Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by virunga: 3:25pm On Apr 19, 2015
I think that praying no need too long, but do it regularly to keep our faith on fire smiley
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by izutex007(m): 3:52pm On Apr 19, 2015
ifeness:
Prayers are never effective whether long or short. You are praying to no one. Get up and take action.

Prayer + Action= effective.

PS

never underestimate God
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by Kei144(m): 4:01pm On Apr 19, 2015
faithin9ja:

Your spiritual knowledge is too low. And you are not ashamed to pass judgment on what you do not know.
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by chubbypearl(f): 4:13pm On Apr 19, 2015
Most people that lose interest because a prayer is prolonged mostly just center the prayer amongst themselves and are probably tired of repeating.if you try praying for your family,loved ones,pastor,neighbours,extended family,your church,peace in south africa,the complete healing for the young boy that was sexually molested and as a big butt hole(just read about that),the sick,the oppressed even your enemies etc....i think you will need more than an hour.That aside,if you are not the "prayer"kind of person,find a church that you will not have to time the activities.My Mum left Deeper life for Mfm because she lovessssssss prayer(don't even try telling her to bless a meal,the food will be cold by the time she is through)I,on the other hand,am a word and worship person.give me the undiluted word of God and am stuck,give me mum prayers and fasting and to her,you are heaven bound smiley Like others said,Faith is the answer.All some people need do is say a little prayer,back it up with God's word+their faith=their prayer answered,while some will need long hours of shouting and crying before theirs is answered.Long or Short prayer,as long as you exercise your faith by believing that God will do it,then you will have your answer.
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by thaira(f): 4:52pm On Apr 19, 2015
Heartfelt prayers are the most effective. The Bible in James 5:16 assures us that the prayers of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
Extended prayers should be done at midweek prayer meetings and vigils but pastors know a lot of people come to services with issues on their minds and so many still conduct long prayers at every service.
I don't like repeating myself during prayers and will rather read the Bible in between.
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by holyokoto(m): 5:02pm On Apr 19, 2015
Kei144:

Your spiritual knowledge is too low. And you are not ashamed to pass judgment on what you do not know.

Sorry Bro, not my spiritual knowledge, but the Bible knowledge is too low either
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by femi4: 5:30pm On Apr 19, 2015
UfuomaUN:
One boring thing about church service this days is the long prayers. Don't get me wrong. I'm not against spending time praying to God or stuff like that. I just feel that when prayers get prolonged people loose interest most times especially when they have run out of words.

I remember a certain time I was in a church service and the prayers lasted an hour! Knowing too well that the bible emphasises praying straight to the point and avoiding repetition of words while praying (God is not deaf after all) so why then do people pray for too long?

Are long prayers more effective?
Shallow christian
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by chiedu7: 6:12pm On Apr 19, 2015
Jesus said its faith not long prayers that gets answers

Matthew 17:20
And Jesus said unto them, Because of your unbelief: for verily I say unto you, If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you
Re: Are Long Prayers Usually The Most Effective? by Reference(m): 6:18pm On Apr 19, 2015
The Bible always encourages us to think of our earthly fathers when we find relationship with our heavenly father misunderstood. How does a 'normal' son relate to a 'normal' father in conversation, mannerism and speech. I believe they are quite similar to God's.

Using myself as an example concerning length of time. Very short, affectionate and instructive as a child. Longer, more purposeful and candid as an adult. But fun too.

I have consulted for my dad involving long hours in meetings. I have spent long periods in family based conversations. Apart from that I hardly speak longer than five minutes. We both know wihat to expect. So it is with God Almighty. It really depends on the subject matter. One thing for sure whether it is dad or Jehova, a long conversation will be at their instance not mine. It will be them talking and me listening. I cannot imagine calling up my dad and chatting on and on, about what. That is why I cannot understand when people say they pray for hours or days on end. What are they saying. I think onlookers are mistaken. When people go up to the mountain for a meeting like Moses, like Jesus for long periods believe you me, the bulk of the time is spent listening. In our time to the voice of the spirit. That can take long not our prayers. Forget it. He knows what you say before you even think it. Listening on the other hand is lost on most Christians and they often miss God as a consequence.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Jesus Was Born Years Earlier Than Thought. - Pope / Lack Of Patience Is What Pushes People To Make Money Illegally. / My Prayer For Trinitarians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.