Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,654 members, 7,823,851 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline - Travel (147) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline (806374 Views)

SOWP Applications Via International Students Route Lets Connect Here Please... / Post Your UK Visa Timeline Here! / Joining Me In Canada; Spouse And Child (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (386) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Amicableoga: 10:01am On Sep 24, 2021
Pls l need a guide on how l can start the open work permit application for my hubby.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by amr12: 11:38am On Sep 24, 2021
Help is needed, please!!!

I need urgent medical for my wife and two kids and couldn't book a closer date with Q Life or IOM

Could anyone be kind to swap medical appointment.

Also, can I submit their application without medical?

This is very urgent.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by megastu(m): 11:55am On Sep 24, 2021
You can try Abuja office. I think that is a walk in.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Awas: 12:01pm On Sep 24, 2021
Awas:
Please I need help . I am student visa in Canada , my husband already has a valid visiting visa to Canada . One of my children was born in the US and does not need a visa , while the other one was born in Nigeria. How do I go about her application since she is a minor .

Please Help.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by queenG2020: 4:03pm On Sep 24, 2021
Awas:

Please Help.

Hi Awas,

You can apply for a visit visa for her and submit all required documents.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 6:09pm On Sep 24, 2021
If all other documents are ready AND you feel good about it, please go ahead and submit applications. But also make sure to secure medical appoint dates right away for them. If you receive request for medical exam before that date, then you can always attach it with the proof of appointment to get an emergency appointment within a week I think. If cost is a problem book with IOM so you can at your own convenience ahead of the medical date although I don't know if they have a rule requiring immediate payment nowadays. Best of luck!

amr12:
Help is needed, please!!!

I need urgent medical for my wife and two kids and couldn't book a closer date with Q Life or IOM

Could anyone be kind to swap medical appointment.

Also, can I submit their application without medical?

This is very urgent.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 6:11pm On Sep 24, 2021
BTW, what is earliest Qlife has sent medical exam result to IRCC that anyone knows of? My son completed medical (just basic test for a 2 year old) since September 17th. It is a week already now. When I emailed them 2 days ago, and they replied yesterday, it shows they haven't sent yet. They say it takes between 3 - 10 business days.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Marh: 7:16pm On Sep 24, 2021
Pls is there anyone who applied for SOWP on May 21st 2021? Any update on your application ?
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by amr12: 10:21pm On Sep 24, 2021
Akannitommy:
If all other documents are ready AND you feel good about it, please go ahead and submit applications. But also make sure to secure medical appoint dates right away for them. If you receive request for medical exam before that date, then you can always attach it with the proof of appointment to get an emergency appointment within a week I think. If cost is a problem book with IOM so you can at your own convenience ahead of the medical date although I don't know if they have a rule requiring immediate payment nowadays. Best of luck!

Thanks
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Awas: 2:15am On Sep 25, 2021
queenG2020:

Hi Awas,

You can apply for a visit visa for her and submit all required documents.

please i sent you a mail .
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Yteem: 9:27am On Sep 25, 2021
Akannitommy:
BTW, what is earliest Qlife has sent medical exam result to IRCC that anyone knows of? My son completed medical (just basic test for a 2 year old) since September 17th. It is a week already now. When I emailed them 2 days ago, and they replied yesterday, it shows they haven't sent yet. They say it takes between 3 - 10 business days.

I think you should put a follow up call across to them also.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by mymzo48: 1:51pm On Sep 25, 2021
Please Is it compulsory to authenticate the wedding certificate in Abuja before one uses it to apply for SOWP
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Chisolove3: 3:01pm On Sep 25, 2021
Please can someone just reply...I have some urgent question.
Can my husband apply for SOWP for me whilst still in Nigeria or should he wait when he travels to Canada before applying?
*Does he need to open a separate GCkey for me and my child?
*Do my baby of two years plus need biometrics and medicals?
*Do I need to write ielts?
I work here too....but I don't have enough money in my account... Can only his MBS be enough? And lastly...
*How can we proof home tiles?
Please someone should reply
Akanitommy....I don't know if I spelt that correctly, forgive me. Lianna2021,Awas..
Please
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 5:12pm On Sep 25, 2021
Hi,

NB: Read through earlier posts from page one of this thread and you will be able to piece together all answers to your questions.

I will respond to those questions I have ideas about and maybe provide caveats where necessary as follows;

Yes, your husband can apply for SOWP for you and visitor visa for your two year old baby while still in Nigeria. However, the rule of thumb is to let the student land in Canada, receive their study permit (which is different from Student Visa) as well as their (Social Insurance Number) SIN before applying. But if there is a reason you cannot wait then go ahead and apply then submit other documents when he lands. The risk here is that IRCC may review the application earlier than you expect (I have seen folks get decision in 2 months, in fact someone got decision in 6 weeks lately) so if they review and the application lacks essential document like study permit I cannot comment on the implication. I think you have a better chance of getting approved if you had applied with hubby then now BUT I have also heard of people who got approved even under this circumstance, so there you have it!

I opened a separate GCKEY account for mu spouse then added the kids on that for their application. However I have heard some people say they did using their own GCKEY account. Technically, (assuming the information I had was accurate), either is possible. But personally I used a separate account (just one with Spouse as principal applicant) for the family.

Your two year old (an any applicant below age of majority - 18 years or so - doesn't need to give biometric data. However, your baby needs to give medical - my son of same age got medical request. I think this must be because this is a potentially family reunification route as they can stay for as long as the student is in status. Ordinarily visitors (old or young) don't require medical pre-COVID but maybe things are changing now.

No, you do not need IELTS for SOWP application but if you have it submit - we submitted WES report for my spouse because we had it prior to submitting application.

It doesn't matter whether you have a lot of your own money or not. It is just a smart move to submit your own account statement in addition to the principal applicant. What is important is to show satisfactory POF --- you should research what qualifies as "satisfactory".

Your extend family members - parents and siblings - for you and hubby, investments & stocks, properties, business registrations, proof of current job/employment or own business etc should work as home ties. However, you must be very deliberate in articulating these in your letters. Do not assume just submitting documents will serve as proof --- explain it well.

Best of luck in taking the next steps. It shall end in praises.

Chisolove3:
Please can someone just reply...I have some urgent question.
Can my husband apply for SOWP for me whilst still in Nigeria or should he wait when he travels to Canada before applying?
*Does he need to open a separate GCkey for me and my child?
*Do my baby of two years plus need biometrics and medicals?
*Do I need to write ielts?
I work here too....but I don't have enough money in my account... Can only his MBS be enough? And lastly...
*How can we proof home tiles?
Please someone should reply
Akanitommy....I don't know if I spelt that correctly, forgive me. Lianna2021,Awas..
Please

3 Likes

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 5:14pm On Sep 25, 2021
Thanks. I will ask Wifey to call or go there in-person on Monday --- calling their phone number could be frustrating though.

Yteem:

I think you should put a follow up call across to them also.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by LadyBlaq: 7:17pm On Sep 25, 2021
Hello Lianna of the most high Lianna2020 Lianna2021 could you please reply my PM? embarassed
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Chisolove3: 10:47pm On Sep 25, 2021
[God bless you real good Akannitommy for this reply...I think the best option for us to wait when he gets there ,then he can open a separate GC key for myself and my baby..Thanks once Again And I hope and pray your family visa get approved too with speed

quote author=Akannitommy post=106164651]Hi,

NB: Read through earlier posts from page one of this thread and you will be able to piece together all answers to your questions.

I will respond to those questions I have ideas about and maybe provide caveats where necessary as follows;

Yes, your husband can apply for SOWP for you and visitor visa for your two year old baby while still in Nigeria. However, the rule of thumb is to let the student land in Canada, receive their study permit (which is different from Student Visa) as well as their (Social Insurance Number) SIN before applying. But if there is a reason you cannot wait then go ahead and apply then submit other documents when he lands. The risk here is that IRCC may review the application earlier than you expect (I have seen folks get decision in 2 months, in fact someone got decision in 6 weeks lately) so if they review and the application lacks essential document like study permit I cannot comment on the implication. I think you have a better chance of getting approved if you had applied with hubby then now BUT I have also heard of people who got approved even under this circumstance, so there you have it!

I opened a separate GCKEY account for mu spouse then added the kids on that for their application. However I have heard some people say they did using their own GCKEY account. Technically, (assuming the information I had was accurate), either is possible. But personally I used a separate account (just one with Spouse as principal applicant) for the family.

Your two year old (an any applicant below age of majority - 18 years or so - doesn't need to give biometric data. However, your baby needs to give medical - my son of same age got medical request. I think this must be because this is a potentially family reunification route as they can stay for as long as the student is in status. Ordinarily visitors (old or young) don't require medical pre-COVID but maybe things are changing now.

No, you do not need IELTS for SOWP application but if you have it submit - we submitted WES report for my spouse because we had it prior to submitting application.

It doesn't matter whether you have a lot of your own money or not. It is just a smart move to submit your own account statement in addition to the principal applicant. What is important is to show satisfactory POF --- you should research what qualifies as "satisfactory".

Your extend family members - parents and siblings - for you and hubby, investments & stocks, properties, business registrations, proof of current job/employment or own business etc should work as home ties. However, you must be very deliberate in articulating these in your letters. Do not assume just submitting documents will serve as proof --- explain it well.

Best of luck in taking the next steps. It shall end in praises.

[/quote]
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Yteem: 11:06pm On Sep 25, 2021
Akannitommy:
Thanks. I will ask Wifey to call or go there in-person on Monday --- calling their phone number could be frustrating though.

Good option for her to go there too. Normally they don’t delay with the sending of the results. I’m sure they will also work on sending it.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Yteem: 11:27pm On Sep 25, 2021
mymzo48:
Please Is it compulsory to authenticate the wedding certificate in Abuja before one uses it to apply for SOWP

Don’t know about this, but if it’s the same marriage certificate given in the registry, I don’t think you need to authenticate it.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Yteem: 11:41pm On Sep 25, 2021
Amicableoga:
Pls l need a guide on how l can start the open work permit application for my hubby.

I think if you read from past posts, you will get more insight but off the top of my head

You will need to get documents such as
* Statements showing POF
*Marriage certificate
*Children birth certificate if you have children
*Letter of intent written by your hubby stating his intention to join you
*Support letter written by you
*Your school ID
*Tuition receipts
*Enrolment letter
*Transcripts can be included if you have
*Provincial ID card
*Study Permit -If you are in Canada already
* Family Pictures
*Lease for your accommodation in Canada if you have landed
*Introduction letter from your hubby’s place of work
*Letter of introduction from your school- some school will give you a letter

You should articulate in your letters on the need for your hubby to join you and how it will help the family and even your education.

This list is not exhaustive but you can use this as starters and add as you go along.

I hope this helps in one way or the other.

2 Likes

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 11:49pm On Sep 25, 2021
I don't know about this but also cannot say for sure until we get approved/PPR.

But in our own case, we submitted the only marriage certificate we have which was issued by the officiating minister (Imam) at our wedding then witnessed by all parents and/or their proxies. It also has 50% of content in Arabic - which we didn't translate. So I am not able to comment on its acceptability until after a decision is received.

However, I had used the same document as proof of marriage for 13-years (at some point in the US as international student and got my family dependent visas. I also included it in my successful visitor visa application to Canada a decade ago - just me - and it was part of my positive study permit application earlier in 2020.

But if you can do anything to submit a tighter application document please always do!

mymzo48:
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Erudensi(f): 12:14am On Sep 26, 2021
@ Akannitommy, may God bless you. Your advice has also helped me as I was about summiting SOWP for my hubby while still in Nigeria using my Gckey account. Though we had the intention of leaving together if approved by December. So that means I will have to leave by next month so as to get my study permit and Sin before applying for him cos everything needed is down already.

Thanks once again.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Emmasonic4me: 1:21am On Sep 26, 2021
Erudensi:
@ Akannitommy, may God bless you. Your advice has also helped me as I was about summiting SOWP for my hubby while still in Nigeria using my Gckey account. Though we had the intention of leaving together if approved by December. So that means I will have to leave by next month so as to get my study permit and Sin before applying for him cos everything needed is down already.

Thanks once again.

What resumption date is on your LOA? Or have you started classes online already?
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by mymzo48: 12:17pm On Sep 26, 2021
Akannitommy:
I don't know about this but also cannot say for sure until we get approved/PPR.

But in our own case, we submitted the only marriage certificate we have which was issued by the officiating minister (Imam) at our wedding then witnessed by all parents and/or their proxies. It also has 50% of content in Arabic - which we didn't translate. So I am not able to comment on its acceptability until after a decision is received.

However, I had used the same document as proof of marriage for 13-years (at some point in the US as international student and got my family dependent visas. I also included it in my successful visitor visa application to Canada a decade ago - just me - and it was part of my positive study permit application earlier in 2020.

But if you can do anything to submit a tighter application document please always do!

Thank you so much for your response. Highly appreciated
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by mymzo48: 12:18pm On Sep 26, 2021
Yteem:

Don’t know about this, but if it’s the same marriage certificate given in the registry, I don’t think you need to authenticate it.

Thanks a lot for this
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by ruggedjew: 6:16pm On Sep 26, 2021
mantleouchtele:
What shall we say unto the Lord! All I have to say is thank you, Jesus!!!!!.

PPR don land!

May 27th Applicant. Sowp and study permits for my children. Did upfront medicals

Everyone keep pushing, don't get tired or depressed. If they won't let you sleep, don't let them sleep!. A day before PPR eligibility had not even started.

I did the Travel Authorization too, it seems it expedited the process.

Thank you Frankrobbn1 of fandrglobal.com. God bless you sir

Pls chief, I sent you an e message! Also, how did you do the Travel Authorization?? I just need a tip . Thanks chief
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by bdon123(m): 7:17pm On Sep 26, 2021
lightswitch007:
Big congrats
Congrats to u.My wife student visa was denied a month ago.Am done wit canada wahala,m switching to UK.They claimed no enough proof of funds after taking 6 months to process frm their side.I put in my property survey report as my wife sponsor($80000).showed account balance up to 4mil.Showed employment letter n payslips for a multinational company i hav been working with for 7 years.still this fckers denied my wife visa on grounds of no enough financial proof of fund....Ogun kii dem there.fcking mad
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Stonehenge83: 2:48pm On Sep 27, 2021
Don't give up bro, try again.
bdon123:

Congrats to u.My wife student visa was denied a month ago.Am done wit canada wahala,m switching to UK.They claimed no enough proof of funds after taking 6 months to process frm their side.I put in my property survey report as my wife sponsor($80000).showed account balance up to 4mil.Showed employment letter n payslips for a multinational company i hav been working with for 7 years.still this fckers denied my wife visa on grounds of no enough financial proof of fund....Ogun kii dem there.fcking mad
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 3:21pm On Sep 27, 2021
Hi,

Sorry to hear about this.

If your spouse really prefers Canada then I would also support the advice not to give up. I don't know your complete POF profile but if what you stated was the full picture, I can punch a few holes that you may want to block when your spouse reapply.

In Canadian immigration context, I don't think the property valuation report ($80,000) would serve as POF rather as an home tie. Also, N4m would be adequate for living costs in a year but you didn't mention if your spouse paid tuition already or how she plans to do so; maybe she had a GIC, or received funding from her school?

Finally, because you are a family and probably also serving as home tie (assuming you didn't apply together), then there is also the need to show how those left behind will "survive" financially while your spouse is in Canada. Usually, the logical question is that if the student takes all the family resources abroad to study, what of those left behind since you are a family? This is most critical to prove if the main sponsor is not the primary applicant - say you as the husband for instance showing all the funding required. All things equal, I suspect that if the $80,000 (or equivalence) had been in liquid cash balance it would have been a different outcome.

These are important and I am almost sure if the only reason for refusal is POF then you can easily address this strategically than say purpose of visit for instance.

Best of luck.

bdon123:

2 Likes

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by bdon123(m): 3:50pm On Sep 27, 2021
Akannitommy:
Hi,

Sorry to hear about this.

If your spouse really prefers Canada then I would also support the advice not to give up. I don't know your complete POF profile but if what you stated was the full picture, I can punch a few holes that you may want to block when your spouse reapply.

In Canadian immigration context, I don't think the property valuation report ($80,000) would serve as POF rather as an home tie. Also, N4m would be adequate for living costs in a year but you didn't mention if your spouse paid tuition already or how she plans to do so; maybe she had a GIC, or received funding from her school?

Finally, because you are a family and probably also serving as home tie (assuming you didn't apply together), then there is also the need to show how those left behind will "survive" financially while your spouse is in Canada. Usually, the logical question is that if the student takes all the family resources abroad to study, what of those left behind since you are a family? This is most critical to prove if the main sponsor is not the primary applicant - say you as the husband for instance showing all the funding required. All things equal, I suspect that if the $80,000 (or equivalence) had been in liquid cash balance it would have been a different outcome.

These are important and I am almost sure if the only reason for refusal is POF then you can easily address this strategically than say purpose of visit for instance.

Best of luck.

Apart from d 4mil in bank account,i had my pension managers give an attestation of my current pension balance which was almost 20m.Also,stated was i am eligible to collect 25% as per Nigerian pension law if unemployed for 4 months.Furthermore,it was clear my monthly income could cater for her n baby n still take care of me as i earn in USD.There wasnt any sensible reason to deny her on financial grounds except maybe travel history or something else.we hav switched to UK as we intended using her study to leave this shithole for gud.
Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 4:25pm On Sep 27, 2021
Best wishes in the next steps, It shall end in praises and promptly too.
bdon123:

Apart from d 4mil in bank account,i had my pension managers give an attestation of my current pension balance which was almost 20m.Also,stated was i am eligible to collect 25% as per Nigerian pension law if unemployed for 4 months.Furthermore,it was clear my monthly income could cater for her n baby n still take care of me as i earn in USD.There wasnt any sensible reason to deny her on financial grounds except maybe travel history or something else.we hav switched to UK as we intended using her study to leave this shithole for gud.

1 Like

Re: Canada Spouse Open Work Permit (sowp)timeline by Akannitommy: 4:40pm On Sep 27, 2021
Wifey called Q-life today and they confirmed medical was sent on Saturday 25th. I logged in then saw that the medical for my son was updated to review and passed on 26th - yesterday. We keep trusting and hoping for the best soonest.

Akannitommy:

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (386) (Reply)

DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? / U.S. Non-immigrant Visas: We’re Listening

Viewing this topic: Elfortunato and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.