Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,262 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:51 AM

Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri - Politics (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri (104149 Views)

How Nigerian Soldiers At The Battlefield Communicate With Their Commanders. PICS / The 92 Armed Herdsmen Arrested By Soldiers At Check-points (Photos) / How My Troops Stopped Biafran Soldiers At Ore —col. Iluyomade (rtd) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by omonnakoda: 9:51pm On Apr 26, 2015
IGBOSON1:

^^^This is your retort to my post?......Insults?

I wish your own mum good health! She may have made mistakes with you, but hey....no one's perfect innit! wink
Were you expecting blessings?
Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 26, 2015
you cannot take shot .

all you can do is delete comment's .

you can not with stand comment when is not even directly talking to you .

they are so emotional to call igbo's name will not take negative comments

i mean crying gneneral clan babalawo clowns
Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by sirfemoz(m): 9:52pm On Apr 26, 2015
superstar1:
No wonder over 3million lives were wasted.

How can you face T72 tanks with cassava sticks?

If this is heroism to some people, it is sheer stupidity from the point of view of more rational minds.
When kids talk, it's obvious.. Men with cassava sticks held your Almighty Nigerian Army with T72 tanks for complete 3 years..
Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by tupacshakur(m): 9:52pm On Apr 26, 2015
illiad1:
Being an Igbo man/woman makes one a STAR by default in Nigeria. We are the centre of attraction. The HausaFulanis and their Yorubas slaves can't stop watching their backs even forty years after the war. God simply made us a higher specie. That's why we move like a Train with the speed of light. They can't simply fathom how we do what we do. Its the Lords doing and its marvelous in their eyes.

Doesn't it beat your imagination that forty years after the war and forty years of HausaFulanis ruling and ruining the contraption called nigeria the north remains the poorest region, with half of their population engaged in their best known profession, begging arms with leprosy hands.

Doesn't it beat your imagination that forty years after the war irrespective of all awolowo did to suppress the progress of Ndigbo after the war, Ndigbo lives in better part of lagos and eats well cooked three square meals daily while yorubas live in boys quarters and drink garri all day.

My advice to yorubas is this. If you so hate the Igbo man for being blessed, do what your father awolowo did; HANG YOURSELVES.

grin grin grin

The usual chest-beating!

2 Likes

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by Nobody: 9:52pm On Apr 26, 2015
Hugh "Taffy" Williams was a professional soldier of fortune who served in the Congo with Mike Hoare and 5 Commando Congo as well as a Major in Biafra. Born in Wales, he grew up and received his military training in South Africa.

Noted for his bravery under fire he served two tours of duty with the Biafran Army, rising to the rank of Major and was the last white mercenary to leave the country as secession ended.

Williams found his Biafran troops to be completely different from those whom he commanded in Katanga. "I've seen a lot of Africans at war" he was quoted as saying. "But there's nobody to touch these people. Give me 10,000 Biafrans for six months, and we'll build an army that would be invincible on this continent. I've seen men die in this war who would have won the Victoria Cross in another context".

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by zendy: 9:52pm On Apr 26, 2015
PassingShot:
I doubt if these people holding sticks were military boys.

And if they were, they were deceived or forced into committing suicide by Ojukwu.

They were forced by Ojukwu? That's how some of you castigate Ojukwu without recourse to history. These men willingly chose to fight for their freedom. Ojukwu made a clarion call and men came. Im proud of these men,my father was a Biafran soldier too. These men fought with nothing against the overwhelming might of the Nigerian army but stood firm for almost 3 years. they suffered starvation, areal bombardment,tanks. They fought the Army that had British,Russian,Egyptian and Arab support but they stood firm. What would they have achieved if they had just a quarter of what the Nigerian Army had? They would have chased Gowon out of Nigeria. Im proud of these men because they fought so hard for their freedom. They may have lost, but they can hold their head up for standing up for their right rather than follow others who became cowards because of their fear of the Northern oligarchy. To anyone who has no sense of self determination,these men are fools. But to those who understand that there is no shame in fighting for freedom no matter the cost,these men are heroes

5 Likes

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by chmod777: 9:52pm On Apr 26, 2015
If they are no good then let them.
MosD:
This is what u see when a whole region is being successfully brainwashed by just one self centered man. Eventually succeeded in wasting millions of productive lives though.........Nigerians, being brainwashed since 1914AD
Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by Hman12(m): 9:53pm On Apr 26, 2015
baybeeboi:
they look like underfed Kenyans/Ethiopians.
How this ones wan take win war?

Like seriously underfed

2 Likes

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by ichidodo: 9:53pm On Apr 26, 2015
vickerz:

yemi alade is a bitch, tell me something
Ndigbo is proud of
The question is why the very high incidence of yoruba men marrying igbo women than vice-versa??....Are yoruba women that very ugly and dirty?? or is the yoruba gene becoming so incestuos that one could be unknowingly marrying his own sister since tis common knowledge that yoruba are highly promiscous?
Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by Lifebender(m): 9:53pm On Apr 26, 2015
Billyonaire:
The OP is mischievous, there is no facial resembrance there to depict any of those kids as Igbos or other Biafran soldiers of the SS/SE Biafrans. My Dad was one of the gallant men that navigated the bushes and gave us the hope that we must fight oppressions of all forms. One wonders why I am a fighter in life, its in the DNA. We have conquered Lagos economically, we are conquering Abuja commercially and very soon we will conquer the whole of Africa ..."money-cally". We are talking money and you are talking nonsense.

Learn survival from the Igbos, stop hating on the Biafrans. We are survivors and we are victorious conquerors. We win, and we take your women, your wine and your economy.

This pulled my attention man,Whose wife?Yorubas You funny man...
I cant count the numbers of Ngozi,Chioma,Chidima and Ada i'vw bleeped.Now get that.Talking abt baes,yorubas have no equal.The ground is open for debate grin

2 Likes

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by xtervaganza(m): 9:55pm On Apr 26, 2015
Ifeanyi4491:
4uck you
Nigeria f*cked you and your people already

Ask thus b1tch

1 Like

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by joeyfire(m): 9:55pm On Apr 26, 2015
xtervaganza:
they bled the Nigerian Army so much the whole of south west was clean and safe. The whole of North was safe and the whole east was shambles and bore a picture of a deserted hell hole.

They bled the Nigerian Army so much the biafra warlord bearded terrorist fled and sent his man tails between legs to surrender in shame

What ever makes you sleep

Eyaaa

"On October 4, 1967 Gen. Mohammed ordered Nigerian artillery to begin bombarding Onitsha. Eight days later Gen. Mohammed personally leads a 10-boat armada carrying 5,000 Nigerian soldiers across the Niger River into Onitsha. The Biafran 18th Battalion resisted stubbornly but were forced to retreat in disarray. However, instead of pursuing the retreating Biafrans and occupying the town the Nigerians turned their attention to looting and burning the Onitsha market to the ground. This gave the 18th Battalion time to reorganize and make a counter-attack. The 11th Battalion under Maj. Achuzie made their way up the New Market road while the 18th Battalion under Col. Nsudoh swung down the Old Market road towards Onitsha. Nigerian 2nd Division soldiers stationed in Onitsha were totally routed and most were either killed or taken prisoner. Undaunted, Gen. Mohammed ordered a 5,000 man reserve from Lagos to cross the Niger River into Onitsha but they were once again defeated. Gen. Mohammed ordered troops under Lt. Col. Ipoola Alani Akinrinade to make a third assault on Onitsha but were once again thwarted by the Biafran 11th and 18th Battalions. It was now when Gen. Mohammed realized there was no hope in attacking Onitsha from Asaba and began heading north towards Idah"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Invasion_of_Onitsha

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by iiiyyyk(m): 9:56pm On Apr 26, 2015
What is there to be proud of about nigeria.
47 yrs after the war for freedom, from this evil marriage of hatred and wickedness conducted by lugard and his girl friend.

Lugard and his girl friend right on their bed in 1914, decided the future of 180 million africans. just to make name, yet for more than a hundred years, Nigerias could not restructure this shut, What a shame.
Even after 47 yrs of the world, this is wht majorty of nigerians can celebrate....

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by Lifebender(m): 9:57pm On Apr 26, 2015
ichidodo:
The question is why the very high incidence of yoruba men marrying igbo women than vice-versa??....Are yoruba women that very ugly and dirty?? or is the yoruba gene becoming so incestuos that one could be unknowingly marrying his own sister since tis common knowledge that yoruba are [size=18pt]highly promiscous?[/size]

ReallyTell mii about FFK and bianca.
The issue why yorubas get them is because..They are freely accessible.Case closed.

4 Likes

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by IGBOSON1: 9:58pm On Apr 26, 2015
omonnakoda:
Were you expecting blessings?

^^^From you....no! I was expecting you to address issues i raised in the post you quoted! Still waiting!
Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by ichidodo: 9:58pm On Apr 26, 2015
Lifebender:

This pulled my attention man,Whose wife?Yorubas You funny man...
I cant count the numbers of Ngozi,Chioma,Chidima and Ada i'vw bleeped.Now get that.Talking abt baes,yorubas have no equal.The ground is open for debate grin
An example of a highly promiscous yoruba man....Most consider it a personal achievement to bleep women and if they are igbos? The drums and trumpets come out to celebrate these massive cultural achievement....

3 Likes

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by Nobody: 10:01pm On Apr 26, 2015
Sharrrrappp niggur

And it took yur modaphuckers 3years and with d help of russian and american aid...shame on y'all

SirShymexx:

Boko Haram has held naij for over 4 years now.

Don't take sticks and stones to a gun fight next time.

I guess that was why that war was so one-sided, with Biafra not making any gains, once the Nigerian side started fighting.

You lot are just lucky Nigeria didn't go for the kill.

Be wise next time.

1 Like

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by iiiyyyk(m): 10:01pm On Apr 26, 2015
Nigeria,

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by omonnakoda: 10:02pm On Apr 26, 2015
IGBOSON1:

^^^From you....no! I was expecting you to address issues i raised in the post you quoted! Still waiting!
You raise issues by calling me a bastard? Is that how you and your mother raise issues?

2 Likes

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by vislabraye(m): 10:02pm On Apr 26, 2015
IGBOSON1:

^^^This is a new one!

Let me get you right....you're saying that Gowon and his sidekick Awo could have ended the war in a matter of weeks or months, but decided not to so as to make money? Also, where does the decision to mount a food blockade a few years down the line come into this equation of yours?

Well, l got this from a reliable source. But that doesn't take anything from Biafra.

But what this op posted is rather ridiculous. How can an army fight a modern war with sticks and knife? If this was the case, they wouldn't even last beyond 2 weeks.

1 Like

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by Nobody: 10:03pm On Apr 26, 2015
Results is all that matters... smiley anybody group that tries Seceding again, the Nigeria Army would crush that group...

On November 19, 1967 mercenaries from the Soviet Union and United Arab Republic flying MiG-17s began bombing areas around Onitsha, devastating the civilian population. In December 1967 the Nigerian 2nd Division and 6th Battalion under Gen. Murtala Mohammed crossed the Niger River at Idah and stationed in Enugu.

On January 2, 1968 the Nigerians moved towards Onitsha in a two pronged attack launched from two axes. The 2nd Division rolled through Biafran held territory including numerous towns and cities. On January 19 Nigerian troops attacked and occupied Awka, giving the 2nd Division a direct route to Onitsha. The Biafran 11th Division under Maj. Joseph Achuzie fought fiercely against the Nigerians and managed to hold them off for over 3 months before Abagana was captured on March 20 followed by Onitsha less than 24 hours later.

joeyfire:

Eyaaa

"On October 4, 1967 Gen. Mohammed ordered Nigerian artillery to begin bombarding Onitsha. Eight days later Gen. Mohammed personally leads a 10-boat armada carrying 5,000 Nigerian soldiers across the Niger River into Onitsha. The Biafran 18th Battalion resisted stubbornly but were forced to retreat in disarray. However, instead of pursuing the retreating Biafrans and occupying the town the Nigerians turned their attention to looting and burning the Onitsha market to the ground. This gave the 18th Battalion time to reorganize and make a counter-attack. The 11th Battalion under Maj. Achuzie made their way up the New Market road while the 18th Battalion under Col. Nsudoh swung down the Old Market road towards Onitsha. Nigerian 2nd Division soldiers stationed in Onitsha were totally routed and most were either killed or taken prisoner. Undaunted, Gen. Mohammed ordered a 5,000 man reserve from Lagos to cross the Niger River into Onitsha but they were once again defeated. Gen. Mohammed ordered troops under Lt. Col. Ipoola Alani Akinrinade to make a third assault on Onitsha but were once again thwarted by the Biafran 11th and 18th Battalions. It was now when Gen. Mohammed realized there was no hope in attacking Onitsha from Asaba and began heading north towards Idah"

2 Likes

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by Nobody: 10:03pm On Apr 26, 2015
Gbam!!!!
joeyfire:

Eyaaa

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by xtervaganza(m): 10:04pm On Apr 26, 2015
joeyfire:

Eyaaa

he attacked biafra land on biafra land!

Read what you posted again. He left his territory to attack biafra on their land and you're proud pf that? Lol

1 Like

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by Lifebender(m): 10:04pm On Apr 26, 2015
ichidodo:
An example of a highly promiscous yoruba man....Most consider it a personal achievement to bleep women and if they are igbos? The drums and trumpets come out to celebrate these massive cultural achievement....

Aw!!!playing the victim?Thought u're claiming yoruba girls are cheap and dirty..

Ichidodo,the day u and airforce1 stop hating the yoruba tribe,the day u become wise

2 Likes

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by madamoringo(f): 10:05pm On Apr 26, 2015
ezeagu:
These guys, 'bird chest' and all, held off the Nigerian army for more than two years with sticks and stones. Nigeria should continually thank Britain, Egypt and Russia, if not for them there'd be no Nigeria.

And Baifra should thank Nigeria also for allowing it food and medicine, even 1 grain of food or drop of medication, to be taken into the biyafura to keep people alive just enough to see the next 24 hours.

Next, thank France for giving you weapons, food and most importantly for airing and accepting your propaganda.

Then, thank the churches and aid organizations.

Finally thank Nigeria again and the Yorubas who helped to stop the war and complete annihilation of the Ibos and most importantly returning all your properties and rent collected in Lagos. Till today, you should grovel at their feet for letting you come to their region and states to work and feed your family. This is one of the biggest gifts you have but take for granted, not to mention that the northerners till today are hard pressed to grant you such privileges.

The idea of One Nigeria should not and cannot be interpreted as licence to flood another man's region or states with Ibos, you should at least stay at your home too.

5 Likes

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by EzeUche(m): 10:05pm On Apr 26, 2015
Brave men who fought for what they believed in. I give them honor.

1 Like

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by nworanco(m): 10:05pm On Apr 26, 2015
Halimi24:
we are not discussing my forefathers
If u av notin 2 say
SHUT UP!!!!!!
IRRITANTS!!!!!!!!
So who are we talking about ? were u there during the war ? Anu mpama.

IKEMBA during his own time was far more educated than about 95-98% of the Hausas and yorubas. The first African student drove in his father's CARDILLAC CAR. Hv ur forefathers and u being drove in any CARDILLAC products. Enwe!!!
Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by ichidodo: 10:05pm On Apr 26, 2015
Lifebender:

ReallyTell mii about FFK and bianca.
The issue why yorubas get them is because..They are freely accessible.Case closed.
Yorubas and noisemaking....the closest FFK came close to Bianca was masturbatin to one of her campaign sized ads of her victory at MBGN beauty pageant. FFK is even worse,in his estimation "Masturbating to the picture of an Igbo Beauty Queen is the hieght of cultural achievement in yorubaland"...

2 Likes

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by Nobody: 10:05pm On Apr 26, 2015
ichidodo:
The question is why the very high incidence of yoruba men marrying igbo women than vice-versa??....Are yoruba women that very ugly and dirty?? or is the yoruba gene becoming so incestuos that one could be unknowingly marrying his own sister since tis common knowledge that yoruba are highly promiscous?

bruh please, ur girls are gold diggers, we are doing u a favor by marrying u people,

yoruba girls are hot, unlike ur ugly prostitutes

2 Likes

Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by dapsonlou(m): 10:07pm On Apr 26, 2015
PentiumPro:
Hahaaahaaaaaahaa funny grin
The greatest army in Africa.

You mean the greatest army in your village
Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by Nobody: 10:08pm On Apr 26, 2015
Nnaabros:
Hugh "Taffy" Williams was a professional soldier of fortune who served in the Congo with Mike Hoare and 5 Commando Congo as well as a Major in Biafra. Born in Wales, he grew up and received his military training in South Africa.

Noted for his bravery under fire he served two tours of duty with the Biafran Army, rising to the rank of Major and was the last white mercenary to leave the country as secession ended.

Williams found his Biafran troops to be completely different from those whom he commanded in Katanga. "I've seen a lot of Africans at war" he was quoted as saying. "But there's nobody to touch these people. Give me 10,000 Biafrans for six months, and we'll build an army that would be invincible on this continent. I've seen men die in this war who would have won the Victoria Cross in another context".
Re: Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri by somegirl1: 10:08pm On Apr 26, 2015
Halimi24:
d igbos bad attitude attracts negativity towards dem
If only they can stop being so arrogantly ignorant&stop trying 2 sabotage ngr no one in naija would av issues wit dem
But dis will continue 2 be a pipe dream cos d igbos like u've said in ur post are incapable of humility
If I come 2 ur street&begin 2 play loud music&speak loudly will u like it?
D igbos are IRRITANTS!!!!!!!!

I'm sure you mean well. Your advice would come in handy for groups that want to remain.
You seem to, rather conveniently, keep missing my point.
What you're doing is akin to a man whose wife clearly wants out and has tried unsuccessfully to leave him, telling the wife what to do so that he can let her stay. Makes no sense.
I do not dispute your allegation against Igbos. Let's say they truly are irritants and are unwilling or unable to change.
Shouldn't they be taught a lesson? Shouldn't they be asked to leave Nigeria and to form their own country where they can be irritants by themselves and to themselves?

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (23) (Reply)

Florence Ajimobi And Rauf Olaniyan In Exchange Of Words (video) / Ademola Adeleke's WAEC Result & Testimonial Released By Ede Muslim High School / Abba Kyari And Geoffrey Onyeama In The 70s (Throwback Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.