Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,959 members, 7,835,202 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:59 AM

Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second (4441 Views)

Poll: Which should you put first?

Your tribe: 20% (8 votes)
Your country: 35% (14 votes)
Your race: 10% (4 votes)
Your humanity: 35% (14 votes)
This poll has ended

Are you Nigerian first and tribe second or equally both? / What Should Be Done To Make Our Politicans Put The Country First? / Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Jarus(m): 5:26pm On Feb 05, 2009
asha 80:

Trying to be diplomatic but at the same time dodging the question.
Who's dodging the question?
But if you can't discern the answer from my post, then let me answer it in Yes/No format.
NO.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Jarus(m): 5:33pm On Feb 05, 2009
To strictly answer the thread starter's question, both of them (my tribe and my country) fall on the same scale in my priority but I'll close my eyes and choose my country first.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 5:41pm On Feb 05, 2009
My country has added nothing positive to my live ditto my tribe despite the fact that in my own little way I ve added positive things to both. I would rather align with my family and my religion.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Jarus(m): 5:43pm On Feb 05, 2009
Xavier.:

My country has added nothing positive to my live ditto my tribe despite the fact that in my own little way I ve added positive things to both. I would rather align with my family and my religion.
I thought I was the only in this group
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by naijaking1: 6:06pm On Feb 05, 2009
Jarus:

1, Under no circumstance will I kill my Muslim brother(whether he's Iraqi, American or Ghanaian)
2, Under no circumstance will I kill a Nigerian (Muslim or Christian)

There's no need to diplomatically avoid the question by denying the possibility of the scenerio. The truth is that we have seen muslim countries fight each other, christian countries fight each other, and a combination of the 2 instances.

Despite your pacifist, diplomatic, loving, and anti-war nature, if at the end of the day war breaks out between Nigeria and Islamic republic of XYZ, what side would you support

If you chose your religion and your tribe, etc, like many people have said; that's understandable, because Nigeria is a relatively new creation of the British, but like I said earlier, our true Independence as a nation will come when a majority of us will chose to be Nigerians first before religion and tribe.

Of course there're a million and one reasons why many people today feel that they're not Nigerians first.---wouldn't get into individual cases.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 6:25pm On Feb 05, 2009
Xavier.:

PROBLEM IS NIGERIA DOES NOT PUT ME FIRST.

IT PUTS TREASURY LOOTERS, 419NERS, BLOODY MILITARY RATS BEFORE ME, DESPITE THE FACT THAT I PAY THE TAX THAT HELPS FUND THEIR PAY CHECKS

All these guys living outside naija like mistaking ND oil money/FG allocation for tax. tongue
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by naijaking1: 6:54pm On Feb 05, 2009
Xavier.:

Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country------JFK
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by tpia: 6:58pm On Feb 05, 2009
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 7:14pm On Feb 05, 2009
It's easy to sit in New Zealand and claim patrotrism.

I keep my own bargain of the constitution, but Nigeria has never kept hers, not even once.

The constitution is an agreement between a nation and its citizens. A breach by one party nullifies the other. My right as enshrined in the constitution is daily abused by the entity called Nigeria, yet I try daily to uphold my own bit and u tell me am not adding anything positive. Think it about time, Nigeria starts fulfilling its own bit of the agreement. May a more egalitarian society would be a good starting point.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by tpia: 7:21pm On Feb 05, 2009
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Kobojunkie: 7:21pm On Feb 05, 2009
naijaking1:

Ask not what your country can do for you, but ask what you can do for your country------JFK

The problem with that is that not all subscribe to that ideology. It is not last wisdom because JFK said it ,or is it ?
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by naijaking1: 7:31pm On Feb 05, 2009
Xavier.:

It's easy to sit in New Zealand and claim patrotrism.

I keep my own bargain of the constitution, but Nigeria has never kept hers, not even once.

The constitution is an agreement between a nation and its citizens. A breach by one party nullifies the other. My right as enshrined in the constitution is daily abused by the entity called Nigeria, yet I try daily to uphold my own bit and u tell me am not adding anything positive. Think it about time, Nigeria starts fulfilling its own bit of the agreement. May a more egalitarian society would be a good starting point.

There's nobody who can't remember how his or her country has let him down in one way or another, some people more than others; but at the end of the day, it becomes a question of: is the glass half full or half empty. Awolowo would have told you how the nation disappointed him, so would Zik, Ahmedu Bello--he was even killed, the list of people disappointed by the nation in one way or another is long. The list of people who feel blessed to have a nation(imperfect) they can call their own is longer. On which list do you belong?
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 7:37pm On Feb 05, 2009
Am on the list of those failed by their nation but are trying hard to be true to their nation.

"it's very hard holding the bull by the horn, when someone else is milking it" - MKO
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by naijaking1: 7:48pm On Feb 05, 2009
Xavier.:

Am on the list of those failed by their nation but are trying hard to be true to their nation.

"it's very hard holding the bull by the horn, when someone else is milking it" - MKO

You're not the only one who feels the nation has failed them, but if you live by that philosophy, then you'll understand that the roads leads only to depression or even death.

With due respect to MKO, bulls don't make milk cry
However, I understand the difficulty holding a cow while it's being milked. Ironically, some people will do anything just to be allowed into the farm to hold a cow while it's being milked. Once again, perspective is everything.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by yasminn: 8:18pm On Feb 05, 2009
nigeria is a dump, fullstop.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by tpia: 8:33pm On Feb 05, 2009
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 12:21am On Feb 06, 2009
TPIA

The saying is purely figurative, everyone knows bulls dont gestate. The point is it passes the message across.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by ebogentle(m): 12:34am On Feb 06, 2009
Sectionalism, tribalism, sex differences, religious differences, all these get us nowhere but patriotism could.
By the way , i have a question. Does anyone think products of inter-tribal marriages have more nationalist tendencies than products of intra-tribal marriages?
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by tpia: 1:02am On Feb 06, 2009
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by tpia: 1:03am On Feb 06, 2009
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Naijex: 1:22am On Feb 06, 2009
Humanity first, then my country, follow by my race and then my tribe.

Nigeria is way better united because of the flow of wisdom from other tribes. Forget politic.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by udezue(m): 1:42am On Feb 06, 2009
Eche is simply a dummy and a detriment to our cause. Efulefu Igbos like you should be eradicated. Even an Oron person says people like you should be eradicated. She is not even Igbo but she can see the danger people like you pose to our cause in the East. Tufia.
http://nigeriaworld.com/feature/publication/david-west/101901.html
Igbos were attacked during the invasion of Afghanistan by USA. During their so called protest Hausa ppl killed over 200 Igbos in Kano over the war.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by naijaking1: 1:51am On Feb 06, 2009
ebogentle:

Sectionalism, tribalism, sex differences, religious differences, all these get us nowhere but patriotism could.
By the way , i have a question. Does anyone think products of inter-tribal marriages have more nationalist tendencies than products of intra-tribal marriages?

Inter-tribal marriages just like inter-racial marriages usually ends up influencing the immediate family, but the jury is still out on whether it can change a whole tribe or race.
Remember the Gen. Ike Nwachukwu---- I heard(not 100% sure) that his mother is Hausa, his wife Yoruba; infact he has Hausa and Yoruba middle names, but at the end of the day, he is an Igboman, he was treated as an Igboman, even his Hausa cousines see him as as an Igboman.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 2:15am On Feb 06, 2009
udezue:

Eche is simply a dummy and a detriment to our cause. Efulefu Igbos like you should be eradicated. Even an Oron person says people like you should be eradicated. She is not even Igbo but she can see the danger people like you pose to our cause in the East. Tufia.
http://nigeriaworld.com/feature/publication/david-west/101901.html
Igbos were attacked during the invasion of Afghanistan by USA. During their so called protest Hausa ppl killed over 200 Igbos in Kano over the war.

Lol only 200 igbos died
Thought u would even be happy self,
It didn't hit the thousand mark
ebogentle:

Amen @ patriotism could,
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 2:20am On Feb 06, 2009
Xavie,
So it's ok for u to now be selfish??
@ Why Nigeria doesn't put u first, That's just ridiculous,
naijaking1:

There's nobody who can't remember how his or her country has let him down in one way or another, some people more than others; but at the end of the day, it becomes a question of: is the glass half full or half empty. Awolowo would have told you how the nation disappointed him, so would Zik, Ahmedu Bello--he was even killed, the list of people disappointed by the nation in one way or another is long. The list of people who feel blessed to have a nation(imperfect) they can call their own is longer. On which list do you belong?

Nicely said, @ least we have a country we can call our own,
@ Asha i stronly disagree that naija muslims would support their other muslim counterparts over us, Don't forget that there are yoruba muslims as well
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by udezue(m): 6:06am On Feb 06, 2009
I will personally shoot u if I could for that statement. Are u even Igbo? U are a big disgrace. Stupid gay. Why don't you decide 1st if u like man or woman or both or if u wanna be a girl b4 u start talking about politics. Idiot. U telling I should be happy they didn't kill thousands? I pray that you lose your family members during a religious or ethnic riot and let me see if you will find it funny. Well like for a demonic idiot like you might still find it funny they didn't murder everyone in your family just 5 of them.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by udezue(m): 6:10am On Feb 06, 2009
I will personally shoot u if I could for that statement. Are u even Igbo? U are a big disgrace. Stupid gay. Why don't you decide 1st if u like man or woman or both or if u wanna be a girl b4 u start talking about politics. Idiot. U telling I should be happy they didn't kill thousands? I pray that you lose your family members during a religious or ethnic riot and let me see if you will find it funny. Well like for a demonic idiot like you might still find it funny they didn't murder everyone in your family just 5 of them.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by udezue(m): 6:14am On Feb 06, 2009
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 7:46am On Feb 06, 2009
udezue:

@ least i know if i lost all my fam members, i would not go around havin hatred in my heart for all hausas,
I would do all in my power to find the perperators of such an act and take my hatred out on them,
Dude i've told u, violence is never teh way to go,
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by angelina08(f): 8:46am On Feb 06, 2009
What is wrong putting my country first, from you country the can investgate your tribe, i think you are dreaming.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by asha80(m): 9:28am On Feb 06, 2009
Lol only 200 igbos died
Thought u would even be happy self,
It didn't hit the thousand mark

@enziga

Are you trying to be sarcarstic? Guy better be careful with these stupid statements you are making daily here even though you have not being in nairaland for long.

@udezue

who is this enziga self?there is a difference btw been neutral and been stupid.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by babasegun(m): 12:02pm On Feb 06, 2009
I find this topic very interesting , because I was having a conversation with a friend of mine, who is not Nigerian (but knows alot about Nigeria), and he was asking me about tribal issues in Nigeria, I was trying to convince in that tribalism in Nigeria is not as bad as racism in the western world, and he said how come our politics is tribal base, why cant we have an ibo president and ibo vice-president or in this case any other tribe, I find it very difficult to answer his question.Nevertheless I tried to explain to him how the whole colonization issue affected and shaped Nigeria as a nation, so whether we like it or not, Tribalism will have/has/had a very significant impact in our lives as Nigerians.

To the topic, I think I find myself putting my country first, even though it hasn't offered me much over the years, but ones country will always be home, it doesn't say on my passport whether am yoruba, hausa or ibo, so in this case I think I will put my country first, I think it high time we learnt that we can always claim our tribe for personal identity, but also we should always learn to rise and fall as one nation.when am at home I am yoruba, when am abroad I am Nigerian.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos Insists On Special Status Due To its Large Population / Fuel Subsidy Crisis: Osun Provides Free Train Services To Stranded Passengers / FERMA Targets Zero Potholes In December

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.