Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,938 members, 7,835,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:16 AM

Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second (4440 Views)

Poll: Which should you put first?

Your tribe: 20% (8 votes)
Your country: 35% (14 votes)
Your race: 10% (4 votes)
Your humanity: 35% (14 votes)
This poll has ended

Are you Nigerian first and tribe second or equally both? / What Should Be Done To Make Our Politicans Put The Country First? / Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Jarus(m): 9:50pm On Feb 04, 2009
Sky Blue:

You are entitled to your view but is the part in bold not a contradiction? On the one hand you speak of justice and respect for others who don't share your view then in the next sentence you speak of support for provision of laws which would govern a whole state or area according to your own religous affiliation? So what happens to others living in thesame area that don't hold such a view, should they be made to obey laws they do not in any way support or relate with? What happened to respect for others?
Not a contracdiction, baby. Sharia is highly misunderstood, and pitiably, now politicised. If the case involves non-Muslims, it becomes optional, that is, both parties must agree that the law should be applied, otherwise it is not applicable.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 9:52pm On Feb 04, 2009
Sky Blue:

You are entitled to your view but is the part in bold not a contradiction? On the one hand you speak of justice and respect for others who don't share your view then in the next sentence you speak of support for provision of laws which would govern a whole state or area according to your own religous affiliation? So what happens to others living in thesame area that don't hold such a view, should they be made to obey laws they do not in any way support or relate with? What happened to respect for others?

So, which law is siutable for all the people living in this area as all the groups seem to have differnt laws in mind?
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by vicade(m): 9:57pm On Feb 04, 2009
bawomolo:

The term Yoruba is a relatively new invention of the Eighteenth century. so what does that tell you? Identities change over time.  People should appreciate the diversity in Nigeria rather than trying to create an homogenous entity.  Claiming to be blind to ethnicity won't work.  As for me, the Individual comes first considering there are intra-ethnic rivalries in the groups Nigerians claim to to be loyal to.
I know my roots lie in the Oduduwa Lineage or whatever yoruba was called then. My roots don't lie in a Design/Project made by Lord Luggard and his cohorts in 1914. I am not saying Nigeria is not a good idea and my girl friend is a pretty ibo girl and my best mate is Hausa so i dont see myself better nor tribalistic. However i see[i] mysel[/i]f first as a Yoruba boy and put the Yoruba Pride before the Nigerian Pride at a Personal Level

And just like u said, the individual comes first so i believe that is a Bottom Up Approach which i believe is the best approach and will subsequently put Tribe before country
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by SkyBlue1: 9:58pm On Feb 04, 2009
Jarus:

Not a contracdiction, baby. Sharia is highly misunderstood, and pitiably, now politicised. If the case involves non-Muslims, it becomes optional, that is, both parties must agree that the law should be applied, otherwise it is not applicable.

So are reports of christians in the north who have been affected by laws like not being able to share a taxi with a woman, etc fake and doctored? The little 8 year old boy in iran whose hand was purposedly driven over by a car as a punishment for stealing bread in a market, did he also agree to be judged by such laws? I can post pictures and stories if you want. So all those who lose limbs for stealing a bottle of maltina, did they agree to be judged by sharia? Does being a muslim automatically mean affiliation with sharia and can muslims themselves refuse to be judged by such laws?

nuzo:

So, which law is siutable for all the people living in this area as all the groups seem to have differnt laws in mind?

The law should be guided by the constitution without addition of uneccessary jara (my view).
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 10:04pm On Feb 04, 2009
Sky Blue:

The law should be guided by the constitution without addition of uneccessary jara (my view).

Unfortunately for those who dont practice this religion in those areas, the so-called constitution created a space for this sharia law there.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by bawomolo(m): 10:42pm On Feb 04, 2009
Jarus:

There is nothing misunderstood about Sharia, it's repressive considering modern day standards.  The idea of combining religious laws with state affairs and not expecting it to be politicized is laughable.  Sharia should be as extinct as the sokoto caliphate.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by SkyBlue1: 10:55pm On Feb 04, 2009
bawomolo:

There is nothing misunderstood about Sharia, it's repressive considering modern day standards. The idea of combining religious laws with state affairs and not expecting it to be politicized is laughable. Sharia should as extinct as the sokoto caliphate.

For me the issue is not even wether the laws are viewed as primitive or whatever; but about such a law existing in a country which claims to be secular and a country which has a very significant ammount of non-muslims, to put it lightly. So does this mean that such people are not welcome in northern states and that the north is just for people who can tolerate sharia? How can a country have two differing legal systems? If Nigeria was an islamic country and there was a consensus by the people that they desired such laws then that is their choosing and they can go crazy on the chopping board even if it is chopping of the hands of a 10year old orphan girl who stole a single maggi cube, then that is their business and the way they choose to live. But when such a law is imposed on a country like Nigeria, i don't see how that is not going to cause trouble. Whose bright idea was this?
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 1:33am On Feb 05, 2009
vicade:

I know my roots lie in the Oduduwa Lineage or whatever yoruba was called then. My roots don't lie in a Design/Project made by Lord Luggard and his cohorts in 1914. I am not saying Nigeria is not a good idea and my girl friend is a pretty ibo girl and my best mate is Hausa so i dont see myself better nor tribalistic. However i see[i] mysel[/i]f first as a Yoruba boy and put the Yoruba Pride before the Nigerian Pride at a Personal Level

And just like u said, the individual comes first so i believe that is a Bottom Up Approach which i believe is the best approach and will subsequently put Tribe before country

So how exactly do u think the country will prosper if everyone has the same mindset as you do?? This is the main problem I think is at the root cause of Naija's problems apart from our general cowardice, On a personal/private level your yoruba heritage should mean much to you, but your country shouldn't take second place. You should be able to treat everyone the same. Treat a yoruba man as you would treat an igbo/hausa/tiv man,
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by tpia: 2:04am On Feb 05, 2009
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by udezue(m): 2:28am On Feb 05, 2009
LOL I can see this confused batty boy Eche Emole don carry his fruity ass wahala come Nairalanfd. Useless stupid Igbo boy who hates the fact that he is Igbo. No even take am serious. U gotta love who u are 1st b4 u start loving another name given to in 1914 by a white man from UK.

I AM IGBO 1st. I also got Efik/Ibibio blood. I AM PROUD OF MY KWA IGBO HERITAGE.

My family have also married people from different ethnic nations, Yoruba, Ijaw, Itsekiri,etc. I have Edo best friend, African American best friend, Igbo best friend, Yoruba, Efik friends. I AM still IGBO TILL I DIE.

Biafran, Igbo, Efik are what I identify with. My Eastern neighbors Ijo, Ogoni, Idoma, Efik, etc are the people that I tend to gravitate to. WAS BORN IGBO WILL DIE AS IGBO. When there is trouble, where will I run to for safety? Eastern / Southern region.

BIAFRA kwenu!!! IGBO KWENU!!!. IGBO MMA MMA NU. grin
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by tpia: 2:31am On Feb 05, 2009
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by naijaking1: 2:42am On Feb 05, 2009
Imagine this scenerio:

For those that put religion 1st--- You wake up one day and Nigeria is fighting a war with say Islamic republic of XYZ. Since you're a muslim first before being a Nigeria, would you join other "infidel" Nigerian Christians/pagans to fight your bretheran in the Islamic republic XYZ, or would you join your religious brothers in a foreign Islamic republic to fight your fellow Nigerians? Same scenerio applies to Christian fanatics, but I see it more likely among the muslims.

Nigeria will truely become independent when everybody will become a Nigerian first, and whatever second.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by udezue(m): 2:43am On Feb 05, 2009
LOL na soo my brother but Caltholic no be same level as Igbo, Idoma, Yoruba,etc. But hey na free world. Ur cousin got rights.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 2:52am On Feb 05, 2009
udezue:

LOL I can see this confused batty boy Eche Emole don carry his fruity ass wahala come Nairalanfd. Useless stupid Igbo boy who hates the fact that he is Igbo. No even take am serious. U gotta love who u are 1st b4 u start loving another name given to in 1914 by a white man from UK.

I AM IGBO 1st. I also got Efik/Ibibio blood. I AM PROUD OF MY KWA IGBO HERITAGE.

My family have also married people from different ethnic nations, Yoruba, Ijaw, Itsekiri,etc. I have Edo best friend, African American best friend, Igbo best friend, Yoruba, Efik friends. I AM still IGBO TILL I DIE.

Biafran, Igbo, Efik are what I identify with. My Eastern neighbors Ijo, Ogoni, Idoma, Efik, etc are the people that I tend to gravitate to. WAS BORN IGBO WILL DIE AS IGBO. When there is trouble, where will I run to for safety? Eastern / Southern region.

BIAFRA kwenu!!! IGBO KWENU!!!. IGBO MMA MMA NU. grin

Lol you have coem to start with m dez, I know you will be the only one saying something different, I've been on NL since 2k6 just never participated,
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 2:53am On Feb 05, 2009
naijaking1:

Imagine this scenerio:

For those that put religion 1st--- You wake up one day and Nigeria is fighting a war with say Islamic republic of XYZ. Since you're a muslim first before being a Nigeria, would you join other "infidel" Nigerian Christians/pagans to fight your bretheran in the Islamic republic XYZ, or would you join your religious brothers in a foreign Islamic republic to fight your fellow Nigerians? Same scenerio applies to Christian fanatics, but I see it more likely among the muslims.

Nigeria will truely become independent when everybody will become a Nigerian first, and whatever second.

Thank you my brother for your post, My point exactly, Would you choose arab muslims to sluaghter your Nigerian Brothers/sisters?
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by udezue(m): 2:58am On Feb 05, 2009
Hausa fulani will choose Arab anytime any day over ur dumb black Igbo ass. I dare u to try any nonsense with a Lebanese in Nigeria. They will try you and execute you on the spot. grin
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by IGWEUSA(m): 3:01am On Feb 05, 2009
Ok. I was thinking, what would happen if all nigerians started thinking as Nigeria as being their own personal country, not the nonsense about having your own tribe, your own village etc. For example, in the United States before it became a perfect union, people thought of themselves of being citizens of their respective states not as being citizens of the USA. It was till the constitution was passed that people finally identified with the country as being theirs and theirs alone. What would happen if an Igbo man instead of building a hospital in his own village/state/tribe went to Gombe/Hausaland and built a hospital/school/laid pipe bourne water. It doesn't even have to be an Igbo man, it could be a yoruba man/Hausa man doing the same thing in different parts of the country,
@ poster
                  guud idea but i no work. Igbo men have been building infrastructures in all parts of naija like no mans business, yet some group of idiots are only good in  burning and destroying them. shocked
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Kobojunkie: 3:06am On Feb 05, 2009
naijaking1:

Imagine this scenerio:

Well, since I am a human being who has Christian values first, I will go ahead and give it a go. If Nigeria where in war with a “Christian” country, I would not fight. I would get on my knees and ask GOD for information on how I can better the lives of people in rest of the world, as the two duke it out. Roflmao!!!

For one, the Christian belief does not in any way demand one pledge allegiance to any “Christian” nation, so I would seriously have to question the Christianity of the so called Christian Nation. Roflmao!!

naijaking1:

I still disagree with that idea! It still does not make much sense as we have persons in the country today, and even on Nairaland who claim to be Patriots, yet that country continues to sink.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 3:20am On Feb 05, 2009
IGWE_USA:

Ok. I was thinking, what would happen if all nigerians started thinking as Nigeria as being their own personal country, not the nonsense about having your own tribe, your own village etc. For example, in the United States before it became a perfect union, people thought of themselves of being citizens of their respective states not as being citizens of the USA. It was till the constitution was passed that people finally identified with the country as being theirs and theirs alone. What would happen if an Igbo man instead of building a hospital in his own village/state/tribe went to Gombe/Hausaland and built a hospital/school/laid pipe bourne water. It doesn't even have to be an Igbo man, it could be a yoruba man/Hausa man doing the same thing in different parts of the country,
@ poster
guud idea but i no work. Igbo men have been building infrastructures in all parts of naija like no mans business, yet some group of idiots are only good in burning and destroying them. shocked

Which infrastructures have igbo people been building all over nigeria
Bridges?? Schools? Hospitals? Where is proof?
udezue link=topic=228735.msg3427710#msg3427710 date=1233799110:

Hausa fulani will choose Arab anytime any day over ur dumb black Igbo ass. I dare u to try any nonsense with a Lebanese in Nigeria. They will try you and execute you on the spot. grin

I seriously doubt an hausa man would choose arabs over their fellow nigerians, Dez
Kobojunkie:

Well, since I am a human being who has Christian values first, I will go ahead and give it a go. If Nigeria where in war with a “Christian” country, I would not fight. I would get on my knees and ask GOD for information on how I can better the lives of people in rest of the world, as the two duke it out. Roflmao!!!

For one, the Christian belief does not in any way demand one pledge allegiance to any “Christian” nation, so I would seriously have to question the Christianity of the so called Christian Nation. Roflmao!!
I still disagree with that idea! It still does not make much sense as we have persons in the country today, and even on Nairaland who claim to be Patriots, yet that country continues to sink.

Kobo u got jokes lol,
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 4:57am On Feb 05, 2009
For people to be nationalistic, the people have to be selfless first. People always expect to be rewarded when they do something charitable, but when the reward isn't forthcoming it becomes a tug of war. Change the psyche of the individual and a lot things would change.

You can still be part of a tribe and be nationalistic. cool I don't think I'll go on a fruitless war against Nigeria all because some dude from my tribe is war crazy. As an individual, there's a reason why I have brains to be rational and think things straight.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 7:10am On Feb 05, 2009
stillwater:

For people to be nationalistic, the people have to be selfless first. People always expect to be rewarded when they do something charitable, but when the reward isn't forthcoming it becomes a tug of war. Change the psyche of the individual and a lot things would change.

You can still be part of a tribe and be nationalistic. cool I don't think I'll go on a fruitless war against Nigeria all because some dude from my tribe is war crazy. As an individual, there's a reason why I have brains to be rational and think things straight.

True True,
we need more thinkers like you
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by udezue(m): 7:32am On Feb 05, 2009
Eche, u are not a smart fellow. The ignorance of ur history is appalling. When US invaded Afghanistan Igbo, Efiks, were attacked and killed. When someone in Denmark printed cartoon about Mohamed, Igbos, Efiks, southerners were killed in the North. So what does that tell you. The fulani will kill you in a second in support of Arabs even when u have nothing to do with it.

Dude GET SOME COMMON SENSE.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by asha80(m): 9:25am On Feb 05, 2009
@enziga
Stop displaying your ignorance.It is becoming annoying.

I seriously doubt an hausa man would choose arabs over their fellow nigerians, Dez
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 9:47am On Feb 05, 2009
udezue:

Eche, u are not a smart fellow. The ignorance of ur history is appalling. When US invaded Afghanistan Igbo, Efiks, were attacked and killed. When someone in Denmark printed cartoon about Mohamed, Igbos, Efiks, southerners were killed in the North. So what does that tell you. The fulani will kill you in a second in support of Arabs even when u have nothing to do with it.

Dude GET SOME COMMON SENSE.

Dude u lying much men,
when did igbos get killed for the deaths of the US invadin afghanistan??
how many ppl get killed?? U kidding me,
Please dez stop throwing lies,
asha 80:

@enziga
Stop displaying your ignorance.It is becoming annoying.

Why exactly would an hausa man heed to the command of arabs to kill their own country men?? I know they are big on their religion but for what i've read the black muslims and arab muslims don't exactly love themselves that much
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by asha80(m): 9:55am On Feb 05, 2009
@enziga
Can you give me ONE good reason as to why christians(mainly igbos) were killed in the north because of the cartoon of Mohammed that was drawn in Denmark?A sfor the Afghanistan incident i leave udezue to answer that.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by enziga(m): 10:14am On Feb 05, 2009
asha 80:

@enziga
Can you give me ONE good reason as to why christians(mainly igbos) were killed in the north because of the cartoon of Mohammed that was drawn in Denmark?A sfor the Afghanistan incident i leave udezue to answer that.

Yeah right, my point is fanatical peeps killed those people,
That does not mean every single hausa person is a potential killer,
Afterall there are tons of hausa christians
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by asha80(m): 10:51am On Feb 05, 2009
Yeah right, my point is fanatical peeps killed those people,
That does not mean every single hausa person is a potential killer,
Afterall there are tons of hausa christians

My guy why dodging the question?Why would they do it to their fellow 'countrymen' who know next to nothing about the drawing or even where denmark is?Are there not fanatical igbo christians?Have you lived in the core north before?If you have not then go and sit down.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by naijaking1: 3:43pm On Feb 05, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Your understanding from a Christian perspective is clear, but the 2000 pound gorilla in the room of Nigerian politics is the muslims. I would like a practicing N/L muslim to answer my question: If Nigeria is in a war with an Islamic republic of XYZ, would the Nigeria muslim join forces with non-islamic Nigerians to attack and possibly kill muslims in the opposing country?
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by naijaking1: 3:49pm On Feb 05, 2009
stillwater:

My dear, I know it's easy to sound as idealistic as imaginable, but the reality is that if your country is at war with another nation, and you refuse to support the effort; there is a term for that---- war objector. Many country have ways of dealing with war objectors, and you'll not be the first. Again, proferring an ideal situation is another technique of simply not answering the question on the ground.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Jarus(m): 5:03pm On Feb 05, 2009
naijaking1:

Your understanding from a Christian perspective is clear, but the 2000 pound gorilla in the room of Nigerian politics is the muslims. I would like a practicing N/L muslim to answer my question: If Nigeria is in a war with an Islamic republic of XYZ, would the Nigeria muslim join forces with non-islamic Nigerians to attack and possibly kill muslims in the opposing country?
1, Under no circumstance will I kill my Muslim brother(whether he's Iraqi, American or Ghanaian)
2, Under no circumstance will I kill a Nigerian (Muslim or Christian)
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by asha80(m): 5:11pm On Feb 05, 2009
1, Under no circumstance will I kill my Muslim brother(whether he's Iraqi, American or Ghanaian)
2, Under no circumstance will I kill a Nigerian (Muslim or Christian)

Trying to be diplomatic but at the same time dodging the question.
Re: Putting Your Country First And Your Tribe Second by Nobody: 5:21pm On Feb 05, 2009
PROBLEM IS NIGERIA DOES NOT PUT ME FIRST.

IT PUTS TREASURY LOOTERS, 419NERS, BLOODY MILITARY RATS BEFORE ME, DESPITE THE FACT THAT I PAY THE TAX THAT HELPS FUND THEIR PAY CHECKS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

History Of Air Crashes In Nigeria / Bus Full Of OOU Students Crushed By Loaded Container; All Died (pics) / What Buhari Told Me When I Visited Him ....FFk telling Nnamdi Kanu (watch Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.