Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,417 members, 7,815,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:34 PM

The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived (59476 Views)

11 Most Influential Nigerian Women By Ovoko.com (Photos) / Governance: The 3 Most Unlucky States In Nigeria / 9 Most Influential Nigerian Politicians In 2015 - Takemetonaija.com (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by nosike3(m): 3:13pm On May 08, 2015
Adva45:

Na you post topic, na you dey 'tribalise' the topic.
What was your genuine intention in posting the topic?
I am amazed that you didn't even read in depth what you posted. That is how knowledge passes one by.
I advise you to read the topic once more and other pieces of information that you will definitely come across in future. That will ensure you don't embarrass yourself inadvertently as you just did here. Thankfully this is an online forum. No one knows you. YOU ARE SAFE kiss
you beat me to it!! grin

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Bollinger(m): 3:14pm On May 08, 2015
SeverusSnape:

4.[size=14pt]PATIENCE JONATHAN[/size]

5. NGOZI OKONJO IWEALA

6. ASA

My guy, you need to find better inspirations and mentors.

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by freecocoa(f): 3:15pm On May 08, 2015
It's so nice what feminism has helped achieve.

Beautiful women, who have left their names imprinted in time.

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by jrupa(m): 3:15pm On May 08, 2015
Twaci:
Not by beauty but brains cheesy. These women are remembered till date because they stood for their rights. Intelligence coupled with dillegence paves the way to a successful future. I want to be remembered like them, girls do you?
See as you just dei use intelligent comments take dei win votes. Nufin do you joor..........ride on
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Twaci(f): 3:16pm On May 08, 2015
jrupa:
See as you just dei use intelligent comments take dei win votes. Nufin do you joor..........ride on
Thanks smiley. Have a lovely day cheesy.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by jrupa(m): 3:18pm On May 08, 2015
Twaci:
Thanks smiley. Have a lovely day cheesy.
You too.

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by HeavenShield: 3:18pm On May 08, 2015
yes..add, the late Dora Akunyili, what a powerful woman who sacrificed herlife for Good..
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by nosike3(m): 3:18pm On May 08, 2015
Nowenuse:

Abeg my brother, we know Dora Akunyili had a great influence as a Nigerian woman, but she cannot compete on this list with either of these 3 women.
Funmilayo, Margaret n Ladi all influenced Nigeria's independence one way or the other, but Akunyili who was born in 1954 was just a child as at this time, so pls no basis for comparison.
nigga you're dull as fvvk!!! So age is now an standard for greatness?? Akunyili would hold her ground in the presence of these women!!! I guess you never know how bad counterfeit and substandard drug cabals were She stood her ground and she is a hero in every sense of the word!

2 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Nobody: 3:19pm On May 08, 2015
Nowenuse:
Also, based on the 5 major human geographical divisions we have in Nigeria

The Core-northern part of Nigeria, the Middlebelt part, Eastern, Western & Niger deltan

Let's say Margaret Ekpo represents the Niger deltan region as an Ibibio
Ladi Kwali represents the Middlebelt region as a Gbagyi woman
& Funmilayo Kuti represents the Western (yoruba speaking region)

I'd like to hear from Igbos (easternerns) and the Hausa-fulanis (core-northernerns), who are the most influential Igbo & Hausa-fulani women that ever lived??
Mama Taraba grin grin grin
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by genieluv(f): 3:22pm On May 08, 2015
What did the Igbo nation do to honour or immortalize late Margaret Ekpo of blessed memories? u ppl should not just stop at asserting her igboness because of her paternity.

The airport in Calabar is named after Margaret Ekpo, there are roadways and halls named after Margaret Ekpo in Calabar to show how the Efik people cherish her
What did Igbo people do to remember her? i am asking all the igbos in the house....mtcheww
All u people do is claim!

What the OP has said remains the fact.
Ibibio/Efik influence made Margaret Ekpo who she was. The only part of her that is Igbo is her father's sperm as IanSweet puts it.....LoL

(No offence to my igbo peeps pls), i am also of mixed igbo origin, infact just like Margaret, my own father was a product of his Igbo mother because his own Benue father died early too.

3 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 08, 2015
Nowenuse:

The Core-northern part of Nigeria, the Middlebelt part, Eastern, Western & Niger deltan

I'd like to hear from Igbos (easternerns) and the Hausa-fulanis (core-northernerns), who are the most influential Igbo & Hausa-fulani women that ever lived??

Why do you have to turn this to tribalism? I'm Yoruba myself, and all three of those women were/are Nigerians. That's all that matters!

3 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by acemiliano(m): 3:27pm On May 08, 2015
Nowenuse:

Ok, let's agree that she was of mixed heritage but the fact is that her Efik/ibibio roots speaks far louder than her igbo roots partly due to these reasons

> She was born and bred in Calabar
> Her igbo father died at a very early stage and she grew up with just her mother and her mother's Efik people in Calabar acquiring Efik Culture
> Finally she married an Efik man

This was why she identified as Efik more but although since Efik-ibibio and igbos were one back then in the old eastern region, her works anf agitations were for the whole region.
So we can say she represents the Old eastern region.
So don't you know that the blood of her father,surpasses the afformentioned(Blood is thicker than water).The igbo blood in her paved way to her success.My dad is an igbo and my mom from calabar,but i believes that im fully IGBO young lad,though living in calaber since stone age.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by driand(m): 3:29pm On May 08, 2015
SeverusSnape:
4.[size=14pt]PATIENCE JONATHAN[/size]

5. NGOZI OKONJO IWEALA

6. [size=14pt]ASA[/size]
I always thought you were a stupi.d person, now you prove me right..
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by nosike3(m): 3:29pm On May 08, 2015
meolaniyi:
She is not igbo. attachee by force. Ekpo can never be Igbo. and she will never be Igbo.
you guys should look for your own. Rubbish! how can she be Igbo? she is not Igbo. Fumi, is full Yoruba. Ekpo is not Igbo. before you
know it now they will claim her like they want to claim Lagos. SS people don't allow this covetous people to claim one of your own.

This is getting too much of you people. every thing they want to claim. spit on you people
jesus christ!!! What is wrong with some people shocked her father is igbo!!! Is that so hard Which one is south south in this matter As at the time she dominated politics, South south never existed... they were called easterners!! my daughter whether she's married to a chinco is igbo!! Simple QED!! Dull people everywhere!
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by genieluv(f): 3:32pm On May 08, 2015
nosike3:
nigga you're dull as fvvk!!! So age is now an standard for greatness?? Akunyili would hold her ground in the presence of these women!!! I guess you never know how bad counterfeit and substandard drug cabals were She stood her ground and she is a hero in every sense of the word!

My bro, u must not insult to make a point. As u can see, the OP acknowledged Akunyili's influence but the point he made is very valid.
Margaret Ekpo and Funmilayo Kuti started fighting for the rights of women even before Akunyili was born, both women fought for the relevenace of women in the independent Nigeria while Ladi Kwali's works were presented as Objects of National pride at the internationa centre on Independence day to the extent that she graced our naira note.
Haba my Brother let's be fair to ourselves here. Dora is great, i love her and her legacy, but truly she cannot be in same league with these listed women.

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by nosike3(m): 3:32pm On May 08, 2015
Amefrica:

Why do you have to turn this to tribalism? I'm Yoruba myself, and all three of those women were/are Nigerians. That's all that matters!
well said bro!!! I get tired of this tribalism thing!!! What's with all this competition There's enough room for every bird to perch!! Yet we choose to hold on to our little differences forgetting how much we have in common! Pathetic and sad I must say!
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by NZEGWUAGU(m): 3:34pm On May 08, 2015
Nowenuse:

Don't talk like a stupid person. Ekpo always identified as Ibibio and not Igbo. During her period in the Eastern Parliament, she never represented igbo areas but rather Ibibio.
Are you sure you are not the one being stupid. If Magret Ekpo was a prostitute would you want to claim she was Ibibio because she was married to an Ibibio man. The truth is that she was Igbo married to an Ibibio man and that was why she may have represented Ibibio. Atiku Abubakar's wife is Yoruba. Has marriage changed that? Josephine Anenih is from Anambra and is married to an Edo man. Does that remove her being Igbo?

8 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Lordave: 3:34pm On May 08, 2015
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Lordave: 3:36pm On May 08, 2015
ianSweet:

What makes me who i am is not my dad's sperm or my mum's ova, but rather it is my UPBRINGING.
What about children who are products of rape or those who their fathers denied their mother's pregnancy but they grew up and due to the nurturing of their lovely mothers they later turned out succesful?
So who would the success of such persons be awarded to? The rapist or irresponsible father or the mother?

Margaret Ekpo was brought up by her mother in an Efik society, so she is more of Efik than Igbo.

The only part of Margaret that is Igbo is her paternity, but her personality, her culture and her mentality is Efik!
What about those who their parents have integrity but chose to go astray? How do you tell where they come from?

Do you have any prove to back up your claims of her mentality and personality been Efik alone?

Furthermore, do you care to show me where her success was attributed to the Igbo ethnic group?

Let me ask you, do you think she would've been as successful if her dad wasn't an Igbo? If her dad didn't provide the sperm that fertilised her mother's ova, would she have existed?

Why are you so keen on discrediting the Igbos?

Can you say all these in her paternal home?

If her dad should resurrect now, can you say all these to his face?

You cannot be logical!

5 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by nosike3(m): 3:36pm On May 08, 2015
genieluv:

My bro, u must not insult to make a point. As u can see, the OP acknowledged Akunyili's influence but the point he made is very valid.
Margaret Ekpo and Funmilayo Kuti started fighting for the rights of women even before Akunyili was born, both women fought for the relevenace of women in the independent Nigeria while Ladi Kwali's works were presented as Objects of National pride at the internationa centre on Independence day to the extent that she graced our naira note.
Haba my Brother let's be fair to ourselves here. Dora is great, i love her and her legacy, but truly she cannot be in same league with these listed women.
I choose to disagree!!! The crisis of their time( i.e ransome Kuti et al) is nothing compared to what we face at present!!! I lost an uncle to fake diuretic drugs, I grew up in a society where chalk was served as antibiotics!! You might not appreciate what she did because you're not in the line of business that I belong to but Akunyili brought sanity,dignity and ethics to a dead and decaying pharmaceutical and health sector!

4 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by davidsonkuti: 3:44pm On May 08, 2015
Hmmmm these are women of valor who stood 4 great ideals n what dey believe 2 b right. May God bless dem wherever dey are
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by redcliff: 3:49pm On May 08, 2015
Nowenuse:

Una don start. You use your hand create meaningful thread, you use the same hand wan put tribal bigotry inside
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by PreciousBro: 3:50pm On May 08, 2015
Why are some uneducated kids in the house talking so recklessly and vehemently trying to remove Margaret Ekpo's paternity influence(which is naturally her identity) ?

I'm really tired of you bigoted un enlightened fools always harsh towards the igbos. What is it? Fear? Envy?

In the bid to discredit and sideline the influence of her igbo- genes you all failed at biology.

Stupid lots.

2 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by havennie(f): 3:54pm On May 08, 2015
Wow! am very proud to be a Gbagyi girl
Ladi Doseyi Kwali, God bless ur soul wherever u are for representing the Gbagyi nation, the whole middlebelt region and Nigerian women at large. U are more than an inspiration to me.

Can u imagine how far one can go in life just with a simple handwork?

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Nobody: 3:56pm On May 08, 2015
nosike3:
well said bro!!! I get tired of this tribalism thing!!! What's with all this competition There's enough room for every bird to perch!! Yet we choose to hold on to our little differences forgetting how much we have in common! Pathetic and sad I must say!

As in eh. Smh! Nice words you got there.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by somegirl1: 3:57pm On May 08, 2015
genieluv:
What did the Igbo nation do to honour or immortalize late Margaret Ekpo of blessed memories? u ppl should not just stop at asserting her igboness because of her paternity.

The airport in Calabar is named after Margaret Ekpo, there are roadways and halls named after Margaret Ekpo in Calabar to show how the Efik people cherish her
What did Igbo people do to remember her? i am asking all the igbos in the house....mtcheww
All u people do is claim!

What the OP has said remains the fact.
Ibibio/Efik influence made Margaret Ekpo who she was. The only part of her that is Igbo is her father's sperm as IanSweet puts it.....LoL

(No offence to my igbo peeps pls), i am also of mixed igbo origin, infact just like Margaret, my own father was a product of his Igbo mother because his own Benue father died early too.

Nowenuse:

In 2001, the Calabar airport was named after her. Her name graces the Ekpo Refectory at the University of Nigeria, Nsukka.

Not that it matters who "cherishes" her more. You can't wish away her Igbo side.

3 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by robosky02(m): 4:01pm On May 08, 2015
i am looking for ten elder state men (or women) in nigeria pls name any here

click

https://www.nairaland.com/2302001/nigerias-elder-statesmen#down
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Springz(f): 4:03pm On May 08, 2015
The write up was quite educating but reading through the thread i see the op was just using this thread as an avenue to be tribalistic. Any means to be tribalistic on nairaland these days.

1 Like

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by havennie(f): 4:04pm On May 08, 2015
PreciousBro:
Why are some uneducated kids in the house talking so recklessly and vehemently trying to remove Margaret Ekpo's paternity influence(which is naturally her identity) ?

I'm really tired of you bigoted un enlightened fools always harsh towards the igbos. What is it? Fear? Envy?

In the bid to discredit and sidelined the influence of her igbo- genes you all fail at biology.

Stupid lots.

Hey, take it easy. U are the one over reacting here.
Nobody is trying to take away Margaret Ekpo's paternity away from her, all they are stating is the obvious.
Your paternity is not what determines who u are in life. Your upbringing, your maternity and your spouse (marriage) affects u just as your paternity affects u. So it's 3 odds against one

Margaret Ekpo's upbringing - Efik-Ibibio
Her Maternity - Efik-Ibibio
Her marriage. - Efik-Ibibio
Her native language/mother's tongue. - Efik
Her Paternity. - Igbo

4 against 1, so Ibibio-Efik wins. LoL *winks*
(just pulling your legs)

4 Likes

Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by kaura5000: 4:07pm On May 08, 2015
Guy wetin be middlebelt? Despite this election your eyes never shine? I bet you hausas and gbagyi have more in common than you berom cannibals... whats the thing in common between an ibb a gbagyi and jonah jang a berom.. you guys are taken this middle belt thing toofar..middlebelt start and end with plateau benue parts of taraba,,..and lastly ladi kwali represents northern nigeria which she is proud of.. stop this attachee.. berom cannibals and gwari are not brothers
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by Springz(f): 4:07pm On May 08, 2015
Amefrica:

Nairaland is the home of tribalism.
Re: The 3 Most Influential Nigerian Women That Ever Lived by seyiadara(m): 4:13pm On May 08, 2015
Nowenuse:

Must you take this issue through this dimension? We are here celebrating Nigerians, you are talking about tribes.
That's just another problem we're facing in this country. Let's live above the ethnic barriers.abeg

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Will Eko Atlantic City Be The Most Beautiful City In Africa After Completion? / Nigerians React To Amaechi's Christmas Outfit (Photo) / Asari Dokubo's Wife Reacts To Buhari's Planned Probe Of Missing $20bn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.