Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,778 members, 7,813,573 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:16 PM

If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? (17695 Views)

Like Ethiopia, Like Nigeria: How China Helped Ethiopia Economy. / You’re The Real Saboteur, Go To Hell With Your Massob–okorocha Blasts Uwazuruike / Use First 100 Days To Tackle Corruption, Revenue Leakages, NBA Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Whynotthetruth(m): 2:55pm On May 09, 2015
Borrussia:
Saraki is not a corrupt politician, if you put him behind bars, that'd be because of sentiment and not to eradicate corruption.

It is either you are a biased hypocrite or you don't reside in this planet earth to have made the above statement...

2 Likes

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by temitemi1(m): 2:57pm On May 09, 2015
If u see saraki as an holy man,then Nigeria is totally free from corruption! Go n ask abt saraki in kwara state!
Borrussia:
Saraki is not a corrupt politician, if you put him behind bars, that'd be because of sentiment and not to eradicate corruption.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Whynotthetruth(m): 2:57pm On May 09, 2015
Kolade354:
In China if you are guilty of corruption they will kill you...........So Simple like A.B.C

grincheesy kids are much here...why is it that death sentence hasn't stopped drug trafficking?...Why has imprisonment and execution not stopped armed robbery and kidnapping...
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by temitemi1(m): 3:00pm On May 09, 2015
Can u imagine such statement my brother!
Whynotthetruth:

It is either you are a biased hypocrite or you don't reside in this planet earth to have made the above statement...
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Ezenwammadu(m): 3:00pm On May 09, 2015
Borrussia:

Sarki is as corrupt as corruption himself.lf l have a corrupt hit list he will be number 4
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Ezenwammadu(m): 3:00pm On May 09, 2015
Borrussia:

Sarki is as corrupt as corruption himself.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Kolade354(m): 3:02pm On May 09, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

grincheesy kids are much here...why is it that death sentence hasn't stopped drug trafficking?...Why has imprisonment and execution not stopped armed robbery and kidnapping...
then use technology lyk ur president.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Whynotthetruth(m): 3:02pm On May 09, 2015
Borrussia:
Peoples like temitemi1, Barcanista, ichidodo, mizmycoli, seun, truckpusher.

Your attention is neededembarassed

As for me, corruption is mostly based in the oil sector and that's what I'm gonna tackle, I might also find a way to get rid of peoples like obasanjo and Tinubu from all form of government.

Corruption is in all facets of Nigeria life in unimaginable quantum...not mostly oil sector alone...thanks

2 Likes

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 3:02pm On May 09, 2015
MizMyColi:
Corruption damages and in no small way, undermines and maligns our civil, moral, social and institutional fabric as a nation.

To tackle this issue, you and I, starting from our smallest unit (The Family) and our circles of influence must realize that, to achieve wholistic changes as it relates to tackling corruption, we must first achieve atomistic changes and uprightness.

Simply put, the change Nigeria needs begins with You and I.

That said, whether it's you or I in that seat of power tomorrow, let's remember that He who Comes into Equity, Must Come With Clean Hands
If you have not dealt with your personal vices of greed and avarice...no matter how much you want to change the country, it is not not rocket science....You Can't.

While I agree that we may not fully defeat corruption, based in the fundamental anomaly of the human nature, I reckon that it can be brought to a pretty much manageable level.

On an executive level, I'd tackle corruption by;

*Paying Our Workers Well And On Time Too!angry

*Ensuring that accountability is the order of the day. Openness and Sincerity of purpose would be the mantra of my government (as long as it is safe for public consumption)

*I will discard and bury all the laws and programs that promote corruption.
I personally don't support bureaucracy.

*Technological Advancement/Application!
We've seen the current administration achieve more with the application of technology in the agricultural sector.
Who says it can't be done wholistically.
Impossible is nothing.

I might add more as they come to mind.

This your statement reminds me of an occurrence wherein there were groups if peoples, say like 7/8 participating in a monthly contribution thingy, they kept the money with the only female member among them and she went ahead to embezzle the money on her birthday party, this was during the election period. She constructed a lame lie saying the money got stolen but the other members kept mum about the issue, despite it being very obvious that she used the money for her party.

One man was walking past our area in a sunny afternoon, speaking with his friends about corruption in the oil sector and how the politicians embezzle funds, na so this girl come put mouth for the matter condemning the politician, grin chai! Come see bashing, she was very unlucky cos the other members if the contribution thingy were there, she nearly cried. They told her that she had the guts to spend other peoples money on her birthday stuff, lying that it got stolen and she even had the rights to call other peoples a thief, I mean what the hell is she if the politicians are thieves?

4 Likes

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 3:04pm On May 09, 2015
MizMyColi:

Lmao
You need a crash course in Sarcasm101 brogringringrin
Lol. You got me there.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by AhmedMustapha(m): 3:04pm On May 09, 2015
slimfit1:
I will expand and secure the prisons first, then I will start with the police first train the once that need training and inform them of their duties and responsibilities as a police officer. I don't think Nigerian police know what they are doing. Create a department that will police the police themselves a watch dog.

In a sane country, the police are the most feared, even soldiers can't try the police. The police can arrest anybody even in the barracks.
Even soldiers can't try the police
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Whynotthetruth(m): 3:05pm On May 09, 2015
temitemi1:
Can u imagine such statement my brother!

grin seriously I am left to wonder the age & mental capacity of some of the posters here...
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 3:10pm On May 09, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Hmm! I have no idea he is, I just asked from a friend if mine and he said he is. So I deserve to be called an hypocrite.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by temitemi1(m): 3:13pm On May 09, 2015
All these can begin with me grin grin
MizMyColi:

Noooo
gringringrin

You can't jail them!
Including the likes of IBB and OBJ.
If anything, start preparing to pay ya homagewink

They are the specially made and bred sacred cows of this country browink
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by kinglekan: 3:13pm On May 09, 2015
Corruption would definitely be an herculean task for any government to tackle. But if I was the president one of the major things I would use to my advantage would be technology.

I don't see any reason why we do not have proper data management and records. I would ensure that there is a central database (a large data center)that links data of persons from banks, telecoms, immigration, registry, Registration of births and deaths, population census, Etc. We should be able to have finger print records too to aid combating crime.

This could be gotten from the INEC database. Ofcause it would take a long time to build such data center with access to such records and also implement proper security measures to safe guard these data.

If these can be implemented then I think we would be able to solve issues such as ghost workers, money laundering, embezzlement, crime, just to mention a few.

www.nairaland.com/twaci
Profile Overview: www.nairaland.com/2299475/miss-nairaland-contest-2015-campaign/132#33571529
www.nairaland.com/attachments/2388096_coollogocom5062531_gifdbb2fefbdd9e975d8678c04d0a1169c1

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Whynotthetruth(m): 3:15pm On May 09, 2015
Kolade354:
then use technology lyk ur president.

gringrincheesy this statement shows that you're a crude illiterate...why not shut up when you know nothing about an issue than making statements that show how empty you're...Why not take time to study about corruption fight and elimination in New Zealand if you're schooled...

1 Like

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by MizMyColi(f): 3:17pm On May 09, 2015
temitemi1:
All these can begin with me grin grin

No Bro.
I still like you.
Because the Koboko God will use to flog those folks is still warming up in hot Ata-Rodo ati Ata-Gungun inside boiling red oyel.
grin

1 Like

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Whynotthetruth(m): 3:19pm On May 09, 2015
Borrussia:
Hmm! I have no idea he is, I just asked from a friend if mine and he said he is. So I deserve to be called an hypocrite.

Good to know...but it will be better for you to arm yourself with some facts before opening a thread so that you can respond intelligently to posts on your thread...thanks
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Kolade354(m): 3:22pm On May 09, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

gringrincheesy this statement shows that you're a crude illiterate...why not shut up when you know nothing about an issue than making statements that show how empty you're...Why not take time to study about corruption fight and elimination in New Zealand if you're schooled...
So because i dont knw hw they fight corruption in New Zealand dat make me an illiteriate ryt..........Professor pls tell us how they fight corruption in Newzealand.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 09, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

Good to know...but it will be better for you to arm yourself with some facts before opening a thread so that you can respond intelligently to posts on your thread...thanks
Very well then.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 09, 2015
1.) Make corruption a capital offence.
Everyday we hear of people who are prosecuted but end up being given ridiculous fines and let off easily. One solution is to enact an act that deals specifically with corruption under which people can generally be charged. Make the offence itself to be a capital offence subject to hanging while proof of conspiracy should be punishable by not less than 21yrs imprisonment. Then just like Indonesia, make sure all those who are convicted are killed after exhausting all possible channels of appeal. There will be international outcry but stand firm against it and kill them.

2) Establish distinct courts to tackle corruption cases.
Just like election petitions, corruption can be made to be sui generis. One big problem we have is that corruption cases take too long in our regular courts. Establish corruption tribunals to handle cases expeditiously and accord corruption cases accelerated hearing on appeal

3) Overhaul Efcc and ICPC.
Employ motivated lawyers and staff to work there and send them on trainings frequently. Corrupt people often engage SANs to represent them in court so you need committed lawyers to prosecute successfully. Increase the pay of those working in those organizations subject to attainment of periodic targets. Bode George had his conviction overturned by the supreme court due to a shoddy trial by the lawyer. That should stop.

4) Education of the young ones.
The kids of today are tomorrow's corrupt leaders. Lets start teaching them about the ills of corruption from a young age.

2 Likes

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Whynotthetruth(m): 3:30pm On May 09, 2015
Kolade354:
So because i dont knw hw they fight corruption in New Zealand dat make me an illiteriate ryt..........Professor pls tell us how they fight corruption in Newzealand.

Sorry if you feel offended but why implicitly denigrate Jonathan especially when you aren't informed about his system which has proved effective in other countries like New Zealand...why yours hasn't been successful anywhere at all...Denigrating our president especially unintelligently makes you a candidate for insult and ridicule ...
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by temitemi1(m): 3:36pm On May 09, 2015
grin grin grin
MizMyColi:

No Bro.
I still like you.
Because the Koboko God will use to flog those folks is still warming up in hot Ata-Rodo ati Ata-Gungun inside boiling red oyel.
grin
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 3:44pm On May 09, 2015
Honestly, I have no single idea....
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by mulattoclaro(m): 3:44pm On May 09, 2015
Simple. By wiping out the Hausa/Fulanis, Yorubas and the yeebos. They're the problem we have. Especially igbos and yorubas.

2 Likes

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by drnairalov: 3:47pm On May 09, 2015
I woul sell nigeria to INDONESIa
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 09, 2015
socialmediaman:
Tackling corruption is not a one man show, it needs policies, constitutional laws and reforms in various sectors. Here are some insights:

1. Reform The Judiciary: Carry out a serious judicial reform. First of all, get qualified people with exceptional records to lead the reforms. Laws don't make sense if they're not implemented. Find these patriots, they are there in our systems. Grant accelerated hearing on corruption cases and expand the courts. Part of these reforms will ensure civil matters do not bug the judicial system by getting as far as the supreme courts. Establish small courts for small offenses, if you've watched the popular "Judge Judy" you'll understand my point. In fact, a reform would be focused on accelerating speed of judgement delivery, fraud reduction to the barest minimum and elimination of bottlenecks...

2. Empower the EFCC: The EFCC should not be another government arm where Nigerians go to submit CVs and get recruited. These guys should have exceptional educational records and must be trained periodically. Train them on how to dig up evidence and prosecute offenders, and promote them based on how many cases they are able to dig up and prosecute successfully, not based on number of years put into idle service. Expand the EFCC into every state. Get the system interconnected with technology to ensure that all cases are properly documented

3. Reform The Police: Police officers should stop being promoted based on number of years in service but on merit. Based on number of high profile offenders and arrests you carry out and solve, you are promoted. If you like, stay idle while your mates are working, till you get disengaged for lack of performance. Ensure that every police station is connected to a central 911 system and all telephone lines must be active 24hrs with consequences of non-compliance, so that all calls made from the public are recorded and later cross checked by a central system to see if they were followed up by the police unit in charge. Strip the police of every power of brutality or torture and ensure they are trained on ways of digging up evidence and prosecuting crime. Ensure that every police unit records the thumbprint and image and record of every individual arrested for an offense connected to a central database and demand that every unit give a concrete explanation for an individual detained for more than 24hrs at the station - with consequences. Alert the public to write to a central system if any of their wards are detained for more than 24hrs and they are denied access to bail the person for any reason. Install communication and recording gadgets and communication equipment at all police stations.

4. Whistle blower act: this should in fact be at the top list of government priorities in fighting corruption. Enact that act and protect whistleblowers who can come up with evidence about any fraud cases at work, in the public, or even in suspected cases of bribery or fraud against their bosses, public officers etc. this includes whistleblowing against suspected cases of activities like job recruitments and contract awards

5. Technology: in this modern age, you cannot fight crime without technology. Ensure that all government projects and activities are no longer paper based. Build databases for all government agencies and employ database administrators, software developers and IT Professionals across the country to manage these systems. Train and retrain these professionals periodically abroad to meet international standards and practices.

6. Internal Audits: Employ internal auditors in all government institutions who are promoted based on successful whistleblowing of fraud and fraud cases, keep them renewable contracts instead of permanent employment, so that if they do not perform, you terminate their contracts. Agencies like NPA, NNPC, Customs will need many of these, not just 1. In fact, all government agencies. Transfer these auditors periodically. Someone will definitely blow the whistle for a probe or external audit.

So many more. I could give a lecture or offer consulting on this.

This is a long procedure. Whatever china did to become the second largest economy in less than 40 years is what you should spend your time researching on !
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by philfrey08: 3:47pm On May 09, 2015
Becoming the President of this country.
I will fight corruption the way Jonathan "intended" to fight it. Politics in Nigeria is crooked and as a Christian its best to keep off evil track or threats from corrupt politicians.
I would make it DIFFICULT for people to come and steal and when you do its soooo obvious that noone except God can save you. That was his intent considering his background. He was trying to save himself and avoid stepping toes. It didn't work
Lets see Buhari's approach
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Cutehector(m): 3:48pm On May 09, 2015
Make jack bauer my minister of defence!
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by lion042(m): 3:49pm On May 09, 2015
I will steal my own money first before jailing OBJ,Amaechi,Tinubu, then i will make Jonathan EFCC chairman
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by jascon1(m): 3:49pm On May 09, 2015
I'll tackle it the way Indonesia tackles drugs
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Michaelgates(m): 3:50pm On May 09, 2015
Simple. Jail them for life with hard labour

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Presidency: Warn Buhari Against Rigging Election – PDP Begs Prince Charles / I Love The Results Coming From South West / Enugu Opens Lion Busiess Park, NEPZA, NOTAP Applaud Decision Behind It

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.