Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,741 members, 7,813,430 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:14 PM

If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? (17692 Views)

Like Ethiopia, Like Nigeria: How China Helped Ethiopia Economy. / You’re The Real Saboteur, Go To Hell With Your Massob–okorocha Blasts Uwazuruike / Use First 100 Days To Tackle Corruption, Revenue Leakages, NBA Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Fianze93(m): 4:09pm On May 09, 2015
Borrussia:
Huh! I actually winced and recoil at your statement, though I'm an APC supporter, I can boldly say your the first person that has ever wished either tinubu and obj remain in power amongst all the peoples I've encountered.
Do you know the meaning of the word 'satire'?
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Idrismusty97(m): 4:10pm On May 09, 2015
No need for all these long story, Granting the EFCC autonomy would be more than enough... Which is exactly what buhari will do anyway smiley.

GMB my hero!
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by socialmediaman: 4:12pm On May 09, 2015
deniyor:

Excellent points.
EFCC and the police can be under one item but we need to promote based on merit in the entire civil service. Same should apply to hiring in the first place.
I found it crazy that people still push papers in the civil service in this day and age. We need to digitalize our civil service.

Thanks bro. I just hope and believe the Buhari government enlists the help of goal-oriented "think thanks" and reformers because we have so much money leaking, so many professionals wasting, and so much impunity taking advantage of the system inadequacies
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 4:12pm On May 09, 2015
My plan will be to exterminate every single 150million nigerians and grow new humans...corruption runs even in that nigerian child that was born today...nigeria is the most corrupt country in the world...I unequivocally just said that...

sad

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by egobetatoday: 4:14pm On May 09, 2015
Borrussia:
[img]http://www..ng/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/3a1.jpg[/img]

Reading Thousands of Comments
here on Nairaland, Some Users
sound like a Messiah and tend to
end corruption if they emerge as
the President of Nigeria.

Corruption is Nigeria’s biggest
problem, I guess you all know that
also? …. but wait! What if you were
given the Chance to become the
President of Nigeria, How will you
fight corruption and put a stop to
it?

Drop your Comment.

hehehehe this Op wants us to give GMB expo on the topic
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by teemy(m): 4:14pm On May 09, 2015
Using the mobile phone industry to solve it.

This is how

Since virtuslly all nigerians have access to mibile phones all that is needed is provide a database of numbers that the government would have to tackle each issue with all seriousness. Every govt agency has a monitoring/disciplinary unit but these ones have been the ones that have made the system as it should be. They wait till an issue becomes a major national headline before performing their duties.

If you had to report a crime that happened right in front of you you would probably feel like calling 911 but you know that won't work here in nigeria but if you knew that there was a phone number you could easily have called and that would reduce the chances of that criminal of hurting another citizen you certainly would make that call.

Public access numbers should be made available for every ministry/commision of the government and those at the receiving end would have the power to carry out/assign investigations towards solving the issue. Every house should takecare of itself. Of course since sim registration was done everyone knows prank calls would be traced and due punishment metted out on pranksters.

It is not enough to just say people should report issues on the news but going a step further to mention which website address or phone number they have to make such reports to. These monitoring unit already exist but they themselves need to be put under scrutiny by the public and if their work is lacking they should be seriously dealt with.

e.g If I notice a policeman/woman abuse power or break the IGP's directive
https://www.nairaland.com/2303574/dont-pay-bail-againpolice-ig
Again, the Acting Inspector General of Police, Solomon Arase, has stated that it is improper for police officers to request for money from suspects for bail. Arase warned that he will no longer accept such from his men because his administration will have zero tolerance for corruption.
I just need to visit the govt/police website that should have the number or email of the disciplinary unit of the police and make a complaint. I mean stick it right in their faces to ensure there is no reason not to complain.

If I notice an assigned road project would end up being a deathtrap because the construction is not being done well I should have a number to make an immediate complaint to. If I notice that the filling station in my area is selling above the pump price I should have a task force number to call. If these units are being pesterred with calls they would act and if they don't (because of bribes or lackadaisical attitudes) there should be an higher unit like Servicom that would handle those complaints that passed through and firstly the monitoring units would be disciplined even before the culprit. If Servicom fails there should be a unit that reports to the presidency any complaint thst passes over Servicom.

Agencies like the Public Defence Commission and National Orientation Agency need to have dedicated airtime and publicity awareness programmes to let people know their rights and answer enquiries. Do you even know that using the police to arrest a debtor is illegal without a court warrant. The police is not a debt collection agency. I even wonder why some lawyers could be broke when the police is there for the picking. NOA should be funded as should be to let people know what the people should expect from their government.

A grace of just 12hrs of instant correction is what is required for each monitoring unit needs to attend to an complaint and if they fail within that period the complainant is justified to go higher. With this, the level of nigeria's corruption would drop in less than a week as people love their jobs.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 4:15pm On May 09, 2015
How to fight corruption in these easy steps.

1.Fix the light situation (no light in FCT for two nights now...sigh). Then we would have industries, and jobs...and less reliance on oil money everywhere.

Because...once states are forced to rely on industries and less on oil money...they will do all in their power to make sure that the industries work...or no money for the state treasury. Hence...corruption goes down.

2.Draconian punishments for corrupt people...and not just corrupt pols. Corrupt policemen, civil servants, teachers, etc...must spend 30 years in jail. Or we adopt the Chinese solution.

2 Likes

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by assana: 4:17pm On May 09, 2015
Hummmmmmmm 9ja don too spoil,can't b tackle undecided
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 4:17pm On May 09, 2015
Hand over to buhari and let him taKe on from there,,,THAT'S ALL grin grin
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by brandmix: 4:19pm On May 09, 2015
@ op. my answer to this question got me my current job with a multinational firm

*nostalgia *

was asked this question by the head of function in my final interview (after crossing like 6 stages).

#take note!!
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Reference(m): 4:20pm On May 09, 2015
Borrussia:

it?

Drop your Comment.

Corruption is not Nigeria's biggest problem. Find out what it is then we can start.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Ayanko(m): 4:21pm On May 09, 2015
Just improve on welfare package of the civil servant. That is all.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Transformium: 4:21pm On May 09, 2015
Twaci:
Corruption can never be erased, neither by military rule nor democracy.

The realization and acceptance of this fact is a step forward for all of us.

IMO.

Kindly vote me for Miss. Nairaland 2015. Thanks smiley.

No one is talking about erasing corruption. That's an effort in futility. But we can keep it on the low and that would be on the mind of any well meaning and thinking government.

What's this Miss Nairaland thing all about?
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 4:22pm On May 09, 2015
She was being sarcastic!
Borrussia:
Huh! I actually winced and recoil at your statement, though I'm an APC supporter, I can boldly say your the first person that has ever wished either tinubu and obj remain in power amongst all the peoples I've encountered.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by dotna(m): 4:23pm On May 09, 2015
Solidify the army n police to protect the law of the land, anything lower than that u cannot win, then get quality contract for my godfathers n sponsors and make sure their they deliver world class jobs that is of international standard
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by free2ryhme: 4:23pm On May 09, 2015
Borrussia:

it?

Drop your Comment.

Death Sentence for Corruption individuals
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Reference(m): 4:23pm On May 09, 2015
IwillLaff:
Hand over to buhari and let him taKe on from there,,,THAT'S ALL grin grin

He has been there in a more powerful role with a 300 pound alsatian called Idiagbon by his side, he couldn't even scratch the surface. Under dose and the malaria came back worse.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by ammyluv2002(f): 4:24pm On May 09, 2015
socialmediaman:
Tackling corruption is not a one man show, it needs policies, constitutional laws and reforms in various sectors. Here are some insights:

1. Reform The Judiciary: Carry out a serious judicial reform. First of all, get qualified people with exceptional records to lead the reforms. Laws don't make sense if they're not implemented. Find these patriots, they are there in our systems. Grant accelerated hearing on corruption cases and expand the courts. Part of these reforms will ensure civil matters do not bug the judicial system by getting as far as the supreme courts. Establish small courts for small offenses, if you've watched the popular "Judge Judy" you'll understand my point. In fact, a reform would be focused on accelerating speed of judgement delivery, fraud reduction to the barest minimum and elimination of bottlenecks...

2. Empower the EFCC: The EFCC should not be another government arm where Nigerians go to submit CVs and get recruited. These guys should have exceptional educational records and must be trained periodically. Train them on how to dig up evidence and prosecute offenders, and promote them based on how many cases they are able to dig up and prosecute successfully, not based on number of years put into idle service. Expand the EFCC into every state. Get the system interconnected with technology to ensure that all cases are properly documented

3. Reform The Police: Police officers should stop being promoted based on number of years in service but on merit. Based on number of high profile offenders and arrests you carry out and solve, you are promoted. If you like, stay idle while your mates are working, till you get disengaged for lack of performance. Ensure that every police station is connected to a central 911 system and all telephone lines must be active 24hrs with consequences of non-compliance, so that all calls made from the public are recorded and later cross checked by a central system to see if they were followed up by the police unit in charge. Strip the police of every power of brutality or torture and ensure they are trained on ways of digging up evidence and prosecuting crime. Ensure that every police unit records the thumbprint and image and record of every individual arrested for an offense connected to a central database and demand that every unit give a concrete explanation for an individual detained for more than 24hrs at the station - with consequences. Alert the public to write to a central system if any of their wards are detained for more than 24hrs and they are denied access to bail the person for any reason. Install communication and recording gadgets and communication equipment at all police stations.

4. Whistle blower act: this should in fact be at the top list of government priorities in fighting corruption. Enact that act and protect whistleblowers who can come up with evidence about any fraud cases at work, in the public, or even in suspected cases of bribery or fraud against their bosses, public officers etc. this includes whistleblowing against suspected cases of activities like job recruitments and contract awards

5. Technology: in this modern age, you cannot fight crime without technology. Ensure that all government projects and activities are no longer paper based. Build databases for all government agencies and employ database administrators, software developers and IT Professionals across the country to manage these systems. Train and retrain these professionals periodically abroad to meet international standards and practices.

6. Internal Audits: Employ internal auditors in all government institutions who are promoted based on successful whistleblowing of fraud and fraud cases, keep them renewable contracts instead of permanent employment, so that if they do not perform, you terminate their contracts. Agencies like NPA, NNPC, Customs will need many of these, not just 1. In fact, all government agencies. Transfer these auditors periodically. Someone will definitely blow the whistle for a probe or external audit.

So many more. I could give a lecture or offer consulting on this.
Seriously, you just made my evening.
1,000 likes from me and my unborn children plus all my grand kids too

1 Like

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by kollinpowel(m): 4:27pm On May 09, 2015
temitemi1:
By putting pple like tinubu,atiku, bukola saraki,madueke, behind bar! GEJ my HERO! FAYOSE my ROLE MODEL!!
And ur mentors flexing around abi Robot temitemi u need flashing
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by deniyor: 4:27pm On May 09, 2015
socialmediaman:

Thanks bro. I just hope and believe the Buhari government enlists the help of goal-oriented "think thanks" and reformers because we have so much money leaking, so many professionals wasting, and so much impunity taking advantage of the system inadequacies

Lets hope so.
I do strongly believe that we Nigerians can eradicate corruption ourselves. We just need to fight and end corruption within ourselves, and also hold our leaders responsible to higher standards than we currently do. Our government can only put some checks in place.

As it stands, we only have to have one corrupt leader leave, just to fill the slot with just another corrupt one. If replace a good one with a corrupt leader. If we are the leaders of tomorrow, then we ourselves better be able to stand the test of time.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by socialmediaman: 4:28pm On May 09, 2015
peppyluv02:
Good one. I learnt from this. But it wouldn't be so easy to implement in a country where there are die hard criminals who don't want this country to progress because doing so will leave them bankrupt.

You're right but with time people will get used to the fact that you can longer loot public funds just like that. If you want license to run businesses that thrive based on government policies, like waste recycle companies, defense and engineering companies etc, that's ok, but not taking public funds for nothing...
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Caleycash(m): 4:30pm On May 09, 2015
I WILL DIVIDE THE COUNTRY INTO 4...IF POSSIBLE 10 WE VE TOO MUCH DIVERSITY THATS OUR MAJOR PROBLEM; IF NOT NIGERIA WILL CONTINUE BEING A MENACE!!!
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Twaci(f): 4:31pm On May 09, 2015
Transformium:

No one is talking about erasing corruption. That's an effort in futility. But we can keep it on the low and that would be on the mind of any well meaning and thinking government.

What's this Miss Nairaland thing all about?

You can get more info here: https://www.nairaland.com/2299475/miss-nairaland-contest-2015-campaign

Thanks for your opinion though.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by socialmediaman: 4:32pm On May 09, 2015
ammyluv2002:
Seriously, you just made my evening.
1,000 likes from me and my unborn children plus all my grand kids too

Wow I'm so glad, thank you so much...
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 4:33pm On May 09, 2015
Caleycash:
I WILL DIVIDE THE COUNTRY INTO 4...IF POSSIBLE 10 WE VE TOO MUCH DIVERSITY THATS OUR MAJOR PROBLEM; IF NOT NIGERIA WILL CONTINUE BEING A MENACE!!!

You will just end up with 4 corrupt and resource dependent nations...who will promptly fight for resources to chop.

Division works when the various potential new nations a re self sufficient. That is why it has never worked in Africa....unless there has been a long and brutal war...and with UN troops to guarantee the peace.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by deletrue: 4:34pm On May 09, 2015
socialmediaman:
Tackling corruption is not a one man show, it needs policies, constitutional laws and reforms in various sectors. Here are some insights:

1. Reform The Judiciary: Carry out a serious judicial reform. First of all, get qualified people with exceptional records to lead the reforms. Laws don't make sense if they're not implemented. Find these patriots, they are there in our systems. Grant accelerated hearing on corruption cases and expand the courts. Part of these reforms will ensure civil matters do not bug the judicial system by getting as far as the supreme courts. Establish small courts for small offenses, if you've watched the popular "Judge Judy" you'll understand my point. In fact, a reform would be focused on accelerating speed of judgement delivery, fraud reduction to the barest minimum and elimination of bottlenecks...

2. Empower the EFCC: The EFCC should not be another government arm where Nigerians go to submit CVs and get recruited. These guys should have exceptional educational records and must be trained periodically. Train them on how to dig up evidence and prosecute offenders, and promote them based on how many cases they are able to dig up and prosecute successfully, not based on number of years put into idle service. Expand the EFCC into every state. Get the system interconnected with technology to ensure that all cases are properly documented

3. Reform The Police: Police officers should stop being promoted based on number of years in service but on merit. Based on number of high profile offenders and arrests you carry out and solve, you are promoted. If you like, stay idle while your mates are working, till you get disengaged for lack of performance. Ensure that every police station is connected to a central 911 system and all telephone lines must be active 24hrs with consequences of non-compliance, so that all calls made from the public are recorded and later cross checked by a central system to see if they were followed up by the police unit in charge. Strip the police of every power of brutality or torture and ensure they are trained on ways of digging up evidence and prosecuting crime. Ensure that every police unit records the thumbprint and image and record of every individual arrested for an offense connected to a central database and demand that every unit give a concrete explanation for an individual detained for more than 24hrs at the station - with consequences. Alert the public to write to a central system if any of their wards are detained for more than 24hrs and they are denied access to bail the person for any reason. Install communication and recording gadgets and communication equipment at all police stations.

4. Whistle blower act: this should in fact be at the top list of government priorities in fighting corruption. Enact that act and protect whistleblowers who can come up with evidence about any fraud cases at work, in the public, or even in suspected cases of bribery or fraud against their bosses, public officers etc. this includes whistleblowing against suspected cases of activities like job recruitments and contract awards

5. Technology: in this modern age, you cannot fight crime without technology. Ensure that all government projects and activities are no longer paper based. Build databases for all government agencies and employ database administrators, software developers and IT Professionals across the country to manage these systems. Train and retrain these professionals periodically abroad to meet international standards and practices.

6. Internal Audits: Employ internal auditors in all government institutions who are promoted based on successful whistleblowing of fraud and fraud cases, keep them renewable contracts instead of permanent employment, so that if they do not perform, you terminate their contracts. Agencies like NPA, NNPC, Customs will need many of these, not just 1. In fact, all government agencies. Transfer these auditors periodically. Someone will definitely blow the whistle for a probe or external audit.

So many more. I could give a lecture or offer consulting on this.
You are nearer to the actual ways to fight corruption but all those facts cannot work any more in this country. Why are many people still having hope that this country is still correctable. What we have now is to frustrate each other's plans especially the sincere ones. You may not agree with me but that is the frank truth, that there is serious hate and dislike for each other. This has increased especially becaus of this GEJ government and the election that followed it. I can categorically tell you that even a Saint can NEVER satisfy some Nigerians any more, except the people of the same region. Ok, take me for example, there is nothing Buhari will do that will earn my praise. I will only go for the fullest blast using the social media, I am for the blame only. Because this is the time for pay back. Unless you are among those who pretends, there is serious devide among Nigerians along tribal, religion among others lines. I beg make I stop for here jor.

1 Like

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Transformium: 4:35pm On May 09, 2015
Twaci:

You can get more info here: https://www.nairaland.com/2299475/miss-nairaland-contest-2015-campaign

Thanks for your opinion though.

Ok

1 Like

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 09, 2015
Very simple! i will employ people who share similar ideology in terms of fighting corruption and enforce accountability! in addition, i would have a law passed that makes any form of corruption especially in governance an offense punishable by 50 years prison sentence and forfeiture of all owned property to the state! I think the idea is to make corruption less enticing!
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Caleycash(m): 4:36pm On May 09, 2015
bushdoc9919:

You will just end up with 4 corrupt and resource dependent nations...who will promptly fight for resources to chop.

Division works when the various potential new nations a re self sufficient. That is why it has never worked in Africa....unless there has been a long and brutal war...and with UN troops to guarantee the peace.
that one na your own idea...I don table my own and God knows if I smell dat sit na to divide that zoo called Nigeria @all cost!!!
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Mcowubaba: 4:37pm On May 09, 2015
I WIILL REDUCE THE SALARIES AND ALLOWANCES OF ALL THE FEDERAL EXECUTIVE MEMEBERS (INCLUDING MYSELF grin). LEGISLATURES, JUDICIARY..
I WILL MERGE ICPC AND EFCC.....THEN EMPOWER THEM VERY WELL (LOGISTICS, FINANCE, TECHNOLOGY E.T.C) AND GIVE THEM TARGET (AS BANK THE GIVE MARKETERS TARGET wink)
I WILL EMPOWER THE JUDICIARY, AND WORK TOGETHER TO ESTABLISH MORE LAWS AND BILLS THAT WILL BE APPLICABLE TO OFFENDERS
I WILL DO MASS MOBILIZATION, CAMPAIGNS, ADVERTISMENT ABOUT ANTI-CORRUPTION AND THE PUNISHMENT (FIRING SQUAD LIKE INDONESIAgrin)
THATS ALL......
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by chigoizie7(m): 4:46pm On May 09, 2015
Borrussia:

it?

Drop your Comment.

I will pick a pen and paper, I will write down all the names of all corrupt officials from grade level 4 officers of both state and federal civil servants, politicians and law enforcement inclusive to the last level,even my v.p sef, den I will get a special H.I.T squad, under 1yrs,all of dem will be assassinated then I will conduct another election, with a new law that anyone found guilty of any corrupt practices will die by firing squad or food poisoning,then igo come wait and see who go be corrupt again, my tenure will record the highest number of H.I.T in the whole world.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by chaberry(m): 4:46pm On May 09, 2015
Twaci:
Corruption can never be erased, neither by military rule nor democracy.

The realization and acceptance of this fact is a step forward for all of us.

IMO.

Kindly vote me for Miss. Nairaland 2015. Thanks smiley.
Just this your dumb answer have cost you my vote

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Don’t Have Constitutional Powers To Create Cattle Colonies – Buhari / Ogwashiukwu Indigene Debunks Buhari's Claim Of Completed Dam / Nigerians Abroad Protest Against Kaduna Killings, Task U.S., Others On Cessation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.