Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,700 members, 7,813,295 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:30 AM

If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? (17687 Views)

Like Ethiopia, Like Nigeria: How China Helped Ethiopia Economy. / You’re The Real Saboteur, Go To Hell With Your Massob–okorocha Blasts Uwazuruike / Use First 100 Days To Tackle Corruption, Revenue Leakages, NBA Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Bollinger(m): 4:47pm On May 09, 2015
Where do i begin. I am very passionate about this topic and will try to do due diligence to it. The main reason corruption and crime thrives in Nigeria is because of this warm and fuzzy feeling criminals get that there is little or no chance that they will ever get caught. Remove that doubt in the mind of a criminal and you will reduce crime in the country.

Adjudication and persecution; Why is jungle justice so rampant? Because the average Nigerian believes that a criminal will not be persecuted to the full weight of the law if he/she can pay of the police or afford a high priced lawyer.

Technology; In America, let's assume you are wanted for a crime. More often than not the police won't go all out to chase you down. You'll eventually come to them. Every car is registered to a owner and every owners drivers license is in the system which is accessed by a computer in his/her police vehicle. They understand statistics and the law of averages very well. They know that at some point you will have a busted tail light, make a turn without signaling, run a red light, not stopping completely at a stop sign, over speeding e.t.c when that happens there will be a cop somewhere who will pull you over. The first thing they do after pulling you over is to run your plates and if you have a record or you are wanted for any reason a red flag pops up and you are done for. In Nigeria, we need to know who has what and where they are to make it easy for the authorities to do their jobs.

Better infrastructure; How many times have we seen criminals escape on foot into the woods, or jump on a bike, or jump into a speed boat to escape apprehension? In normal societies, you might decide to use a copter as a means of escape and that will not help you. Our cities need better planning. Wooded areas need to be cleared, better connecting roads need to be built to assist the police in their apprehension of criminals.

I could go on and on.

I know that i kinda digressed a little but corruption alone is not the issue. Crime in it's entirety is.

1 Like

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Reference(m): 4:48pm On May 09, 2015
free2ryhme:

Death Sentence for Corruption individuals

And who will execute them, the corrupt. Mr. Man. There is a law in the animal kingdom. Species donot hunt and eat their kind.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Sunnymatey(m): 4:52pm On May 09, 2015
If am elected Nigeria President today, 1 year jail term for every 1naira stolen. No mercy.

1 Like

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Kay17: 4:59pm On May 09, 2015
Probably, corruption is a decline in faith of God or in Nigeria or in the State. Probably it is inevitable.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Karleb(m): 5:05pm On May 09, 2015
It's simple. I'll employ foreign auditors to audit all account in 6 months interval and I'll leave the rest to the law.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by jaey(m): 5:07pm On May 09, 2015
First things first, na to gather all dem old politicians (wey the call demselves youth @ hrt) put them for one room BOMB them throwey becos na dem be the main corruption wey dey.

Only den can the saying 'the youths are the leaders of tomorrow' become evident in our country.

BTW, I no mention ant names o, nuh i know u know wat i mean. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by chigoizie7(m): 5:07pm On May 09, 2015
These people are talking of stealing and looting,

* any shi shi that is mismanaged under ur care, oga u re gone, ur own. Is finished.

*any other form of corruption ranging from lying to killing, bros,what u will go tru, if devil see u for hell, him go reject u,
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by cromz(m): 5:11pm On May 09, 2015
Am going decrease the public office holders salaries and allowances and make a high criteria for memebers of my cabinet there would be an award for the most honest and incorruptible public office holder and I will uphold discipline and make sure anybody who steals will be stoned to death either by arms or corruption.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 5:13pm On May 09, 2015
socialmediaman:
Tackling corruption is not a one man show, it needs policies, constitutional laws and reforms in various sectors. Here are some insights:

1. Reform The Judiciary: Carry out a serious judicial reform. First of all, get qualified people with exceptional records to lead the reforms. Laws don't make sense if they're not implemented. Find these patriots, they are there in our systems. Grant accelerated hearing on corruption cases and expand the courts. Part of these reforms will ensure civil matters do not bug the judicial system by getting as far as the supreme courts. Establish small courts for small offenses, if you've watched the popular "Judge Judy" you'll understand my point. In fact, a reform would be focused on accelerating speed of judgement delivery, fraud reduction to the barest minimum and elimination of bottlenecks...

2. Empower the EFCC: The EFCC should not be another government arm where Nigerians go to submit CVs and get recruited. These guys should have exceptional educational records and must be trained periodically. Train them on how to dig up evidence and prosecute offenders, and promote them based on how many cases they are able to dig up and prosecute successfully, not based on number of years put into idle service. Expand the EFCC into every state. Get the system interconnected with technology to ensure that all cases are properly documented

3. Reform The Police: Police officers should stop being promoted based on number of years in service but on merit. Based on number of high profile offenders and arrests you carry out and solve, you are promoted. If you like, stay idle while your mates are working, till you get disengaged for lack of performance. Ensure that every police station is connected to a central 911 system and all telephone lines must be active 24hrs with consequences of non-compliance, so that all calls made from the public are recorded and later cross checked by a central system to see if they were followed up by the police unit in charge. Strip the police of every power of brutality or torture and ensure they are trained on ways of digging up evidence and prosecuting crime. Ensure that every police unit records the thumbprint and image and record of every individual arrested for an offense connected to a central database and demand that every unit give a concrete explanation for an individual detained for more than 24hrs at the station - with consequences. Alert the public to write to a central system if any of their wards are detained for more than 24hrs and they are denied access to bail the person for any reason. Install communication and recording gadgets and communication equipment at all police stations.

4. Whistle blower act: this should in fact be at the top list of government priorities in fighting corruption. Enact that act and protect whistleblowers who can come up with evidence about any fraud cases at work, in the public, or even in suspected cases of bribery or fraud against their bosses, public officers etc. this includes whistleblowing against suspected cases of activities like job recruitments and contract awards

5. Technology: in this modern age, you cannot fight crime without technology. Ensure that all government projects and activities are no longer paper based. Build databases for all government agencies and employ database administrators, software developers and IT Professionals across the country to manage these systems. Train and retrain these professionals periodically abroad to meet international standards and practices.

6. Internal Audits: Employ internal auditors in all government institutions who are promoted based on successful whistleblowing of fraud and fraud cases, keep them renewable contracts instead of permanent employment, so that if they do not perform, you terminate their contracts. Agencies like NPA, NNPC, Customs will need many of these, not just 1. In fact, all government agencies. Transfer these auditors periodically. Someone will definitely blow the whistle for a probe or external audit.

So many more. I could give a lecture or offer consulting on this.

Edit: someone asked me to provide a contact information based on this comment, you may use: itpromanager@yahoo.com

A pet coke with socialmediaman for this post.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by dejol88: 5:14pm On May 09, 2015
I shall fight kworoption in a two way approach, first one wud b a short term measure then the second one would be long term approach.

short term approach, i shall get a trusted nigerian to head the EFCC, then set aside a special court for quick dispensation of justice. with the the initial mandate of ridding out all forms of kworoption from all ministries and MDA's.(Cant type all the strategies in achieving this mandate)

Second one would be total anti corruption campaign, which will cut across all strata of our society .Education is number one tool.I shall take the campaign to schools , which must be included in our curriculum from nursery school till university . cant type all the strategies here.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 5:19pm On May 09, 2015
mulattoclaro:
Simple. By wiping out the Hausa/Fulanis, Yorubas and the yeebos. They're the problem we have. Especially igbos and yorubas.
Going by your point of view, if Hausa, Igbo and Yoruba were to be wiped out, what or which tribe will represent Nigeria.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Octaves(m): 5:20pm On May 09, 2015
This
socialmediaman:
Tackling corruption is not a one man show, it needs policies, constitutional laws and reforms in various sectors. Here are some insights:

1. Reform The Judiciary: Carry out a serious judicial reform. First of all, get qualified people with exceptional records to lead the reforms. Laws don't make sense if they're not implemented. Find these patriots, they are there in our systems. Grant accelerated hearing on corruption cases and expand the courts. Part of these reforms will ensure civil matters do not bug the judicial system by getting as far as the supreme courts. Establish small courts for small offenses, if you've watched the popular "Judge Judy" you'll understand my point. In fact, a reform would be focused on accelerating speed of judgement delivery, fraud reduction to the barest minimum and elimination of bottlenecks...

2. Empower the EFCC: The EFCC should not be another government arm where Nigerians go to submit CVs and get recruited. These guys should have exceptional educational records and must be trained periodically. Train them on how to dig up evidence and prosecute offenders, and promote them based on how many cases they are able to dig up and prosecute successfully, not based on number of years put into idle service. Expand the EFCC into every state. Get the system interconnected with technology to ensure that all cases are properly documented

3. Reform The Police: Police officers should stop being promoted based on number of years in service but on merit. Based on number of high profile offenders and arrests you carry out and solve, you are promoted. If you like, stay idle while your mates are working, till you get disengaged for lack of performance. Ensure that every police station is connected to a central 911 system and all telephone lines must be active 24hrs with consequences of non-compliance, so that all calls made from the public are recorded and later cross checked by a central system to see if they were followed up by the police unit in charge. Strip the police of every power of brutality or torture and ensure they are trained on ways of digging up evidence and prosecuting crime. Ensure that every police unit records the thumbprint and image and record of every individual arrested for an offense connected to a central database and demand that every unit give a concrete explanation for an individual detained for more than 24hrs at the station - with consequences. Alert the public to write to a central system if any of their wards are detained for more than 24hrs and they are denied access to bail the person for any reason. Install communication and recording gadgets and communication equipment at all police stations.

4. Whistle blower act: this should in fact be at the top list of government priorities in fighting corruption. Enact that act and protect whistleblowers who can come up with evidence about any fraud cases at work, in the public, or even in suspected cases of bribery or fraud against their bosses, public officers etc. this includes whistleblowing against suspected cases of activities like job recruitments and contract awards

5. Technology: in this modern age, you cannot fight crime without technology. Ensure that all government projects and activities are no longer paper based. Build databases for all government agencies and employ database administrators, software developers and IT Professionals across the country to manage these systems. Train and retrain these professionals periodically abroad to meet international standards and practices.

6. Internal Audits: Employ internal auditors in all government institutions who are promoted based on successful whistleblowing of fraud and fraud cases, keep them renewable contracts instead of permanent employment, so that if they do not perform, you terminate their contracts. Agencies like NPA, NNPC, Customs will need many of these, not just 1. In fact, all government agencies. Transfer these auditors periodically. Someone will definitely blow the whistle for a probe or external audit.

Edit: someone asked me to provide a contact information based on this comment, you may use: itpromanager@yahoo.com
people keep acting like fighting corruption is rocket science where there are straight forward steps that can be used to ensure accountability
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Hobat(m): 5:22pm On May 09, 2015
Ok....
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Octaves(m): 5:23pm On May 09, 2015
Twaci:
Corruption can never be erased, neither by military rule nor democracy.

The realization and acceptance of this fact is a step forward for all of us.

IMO.

Kindly vote me for Miss. Nairaland 2015. Thanks smiley.
with this view, you want to be voted. So Nairaland will be liquidated
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 5:24pm On May 09, 2015
I would only comment on corporate corruption:

1. Banned items are banned. No corporate org shall import or produced under whatever pretext in the country. Any commodity found in the market shall be traced and all officials from licensing to the factory shall be sacked and prosecuted.

2. License fees: all license fees or operational fees shall be paid with exclusion or negotiation to the purse of government in dedicated accounts in the bank. No cash or renegotiation whatsoever.

3. Taxes: all taxes on goods produced and others should be remitted without negotiations to the purse of the government. Any tax collector found to be involved in undercutting taxes shall be prosecuted.

The Op can PM for more...thanks
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by socialmediaman: 5:28pm On May 09, 2015
Keneking:

A pet coke with socialmediaman for this post.

Thanks bro smiley
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by martin558(m): 5:30pm On May 09, 2015
I will fist kill all d Corruption politicians in Nigeria

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by socialmediaman: 5:31pm On May 09, 2015
Octaves:
This people keep acting like fighting corruption is rocket science where there are straight forward steps that can be used to ensure accountability

Institutions outlive those who build them, but people based systems die with them

1 Like

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by free2ryhme: 5:32pm On May 09, 2015
Reference:

And who will execute them, the corrupt. Mr. Man. There is a law in the animal kingdom. Species donot hunt and eat their kind.

And it worked in china

Don't try it there oo. Na gone too soon go be your next screenname
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by blackmaine: 5:34pm On May 09, 2015
I wil impliment a very strict law to guide our so called political post so if u dont serve the people very well u wil be persecuted
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by ZanyABC(m): 5:37pm On May 09, 2015
Kolade354:
In China if you are guilty of corruption they will kill you...........So Simple like A.B.C
Even not all ABC are simple, u don try the china version?
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by sneak3(m): 5:37pm On May 09, 2015
Borrussia:
[img]http://www..ng/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/3a1.jpg[/img]

Reading Thousands of Comments
here on Nairaland, Some Users
sound like a Messiah and tend to
end corruption if they emerge as
the President of Nigeria.

Corruption is Nigeria’s biggest
problem, I guess you all know that
also? …. but wait! What if you were
given the Chance to become the
President of Nigeria, How will you
fight corruption and put a stop to
it?

Drop your Comment.

Simple, I mean very simple.. just make corruption a capital offence that attracts capital purnishment ranging from a minimum of 25yrs jail sentence to death by hanging depending on the enormity..

Tough sanctions as listed above should be dished out to ANY one proven beyond reasonable doubt to have indulged or aid corrupt act either by an act of omission or commission...

These stiff purnishment will restore sanity into d system and ensure corrupt free society because Nigerians value their llves so much.. even those with no hope or guaranteed one square meal per day..
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by socialmediaman: 5:40pm On May 09, 2015
deletrue:
You are nearer to the actual ways to fight corruption but all those facts cannot work any more in this country. Why are many people still having hope that this country is still correctable. What we have now is to frustrate each other's plans especially the sincere ones. You may not agree with me but that is the frank truth, that there is serious hate and dislike for each other. This has increased especially becaus of this GEJ government and the election that followed it. I can categorically tell you that even a Saint can NEVER satisfy some Nigerians any more, except the people of the same region. Ok, take me for example, there is nothing Buhari will do that will earn my praise. I will only go for the fullest blast using the social media, I am for the blame only. Because this is the time for pay back. Unless you are among those who pretends, there is serious devide among Nigerians along tribal, religion among others lines. I beg make I stop for here jor.

Well this could be a topic for another day or thread. There are political and structural divisions everywhere, whites against blacks, north against south, conservatives against reformists etc, but we need to get systems working for Nigerians, because whatever happens to this country affects all of us, whether pro or against government.

1 Like

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 09, 2015
Kolade354:
In China if you are guilty of corruption they will kill you...........So Simple like A.B.C

In Nigeria, how do you ensure the process of establishing or proving guilt is not flawed or corruptly influenced to indict and eventually execute the innocent?
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by oluwasegun007(m): 5:49pm On May 09, 2015
Every public officials (especially sensitive post) must swear by OGUN...lol
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by rabbuy(m): 6:03pm On May 09, 2015
Easy... Arrest all current politicians ..... Kill em by firing squad for those wey get jazz I go make dem die by bomb blast..
Then I will ammend the constitution and enforce a salary of 200k for all senators and 500K for presido all in naira and the rest of the money used for making Nigeria a paradise
I will privatized all the sectors neccessary make sure unibersities are lower than polytechnics so as too boost graduates that can DO something with what they learnt ... That's why we re behing in engeering university cert is al what majority of engeering frims are after which is not right....
That done I will ipmprt solar roofs for all who are ready to ditch Nepa which will be heavily subsidized.. And electric cars so crude oil would be as water... I will make top notch enginneers from all parts of the world come down here to teach my people the field efficiently and effectively... Scholarships will be the other of the day.. Agriculture will improve.. I will encourage urbanization for the rural states so as to depopuate lagos.. Then boost the rail system making sure it is more welcomed than buses... Infrasturcture will also enjoy transformation I wil make underground tunnels yeah I Ike it... This is just 1/4 of what I will do by the tie four years elapse Nigeria wil vote me in again ten times over... Amen!
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 09, 2015
I wish somebody somwhere will see this and have it fully implemented! Wow!
socialmediaman:

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by socialmediaman: 6:22pm On May 09, 2015
mctolspell:
I wish somebody somwhere will see this and have it fully implemented! Wow!

Thanks man!
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Amazo: 6:22pm On May 09, 2015
Borrussia:
[img]http://www..ng/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/3a1.jpg[/img]

Reading Thousands of Comments
here on Nairaland, Some Users
sound like a Messiah and tend to
end corruption if they emerge as
the President of Nigeria.

Corruption is Nigeria’s biggest
problem, I guess you all know that
also? …. but wait! What if you were
given the Chance to become the
President of Nigeria, How will you
fight corruption and put a stop to
it?

Drop your Comment.

The Nigerian government is the most expensive government to run in Africa, and relative to its level of economic, political and social development and the overall living standards of the citizenry, it's arguably the most expensive government to run in the world. This is a great starting point if we as a nation want to eliminate government corruption.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by NZAN(m): 6:35pm On May 09, 2015
Twaci:

IMO.

With this kind of pessimistic mindset, you still think you deserve a vote?
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by CyberWolf: 6:43pm On May 09, 2015
Socialmediaman has said it all..create a strong institution and integrate this institutions with Information Technology...In addition, enact a more severe punishment for those found guilty of corruption ..
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by CyberWolf: 6:46pm On May 09, 2015
Twaci:

IMO.

with this kinder comment, how can you win miss Nairaland The earlier you start making meaningful contribution to topic under discuss, the more your chances of winning the competition angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

I Usually Helped Badeh Convert N558m From Staff Salaries To Dollars, Witness / Saraki’s Ally, Baraje Attacks APC / PDP Convention: How Wike Mobilised Governors To Endorse Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.