Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,721 members, 7,813,382 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:36 AM

If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? (17689 Views)

Like Ethiopia, Like Nigeria: How China Helped Ethiopia Economy. / You’re The Real Saboteur, Go To Hell With Your Massob–okorocha Blasts Uwazuruike / Use First 100 Days To Tackle Corruption, Revenue Leakages, NBA Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Johneyhaz: 3:50pm On May 09, 2015
K
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by chibas: 3:50pm On May 09, 2015
I think i will adopt the chinese style
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Jossyroyal1: 3:50pm On May 09, 2015
By setting relevant rules and regulations that clearly set out commensurate punishments to every defaulters....
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Jossyroyal1: 3:51pm On May 09, 2015
By empowering the 3 arms of govt and setting relevant rules and regulations that clearly set out commensurate punishments to every defaulters....
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by philfrey08: 3:51pm On May 09, 2015
Borrussia:
Peoples like temitemi1, Barcanista, ichidodo, mizmycoli, seun, truckpusher.

Your attention is neededembarassed

As for me, corruption is mostly based in the oil sector and that's what I'm gonna tackle, I might also find a way to get rid of peoples like obasanjo and Tinubu from all form of government.

What do u understand by corruption? Unless you are being specific. Corruption is far more than what happens in politics
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by deniyor: 3:53pm On May 09, 2015
socialmediaman:
Tackling corruption is not a one man show, it needs policies, constitutional laws and reforms in various sectors. Here are some insights:

1. Reform The Judiciary: Carry out a serious judicial reform. First of all, get qualified people with exceptional records to lead the reforms. Laws don't make sense if they're not implemented. Find these patriots, they are there in our systems. Grant accelerated hearing on corruption cases and expand the courts. Part of these reforms will ensure civil matters do not bug the judicial system by getting as far as the supreme courts. Establish small courts for small offenses, if you've watched the popular "Judge Judy" you'll understand my point. In fact, a reform would be focused on accelerating speed of judgement delivery, fraud reduction to the barest minimum and elimination of bottlenecks...

2. Empower the EFCC: The EFCC should not be another government arm where Nigerians go to submit CVs and get recruited. These guys should have exceptional educational records and must be trained periodically. Train them on how to dig up evidence and prosecute offenders, and promote them based on how many cases they are able to dig up and prosecute successfully, not based on number of years put into idle service. Expand the EFCC into every state. Get the system interconnected with technology to ensure that all cases are properly documented

3. Reform The Police: Police officers should stop being promoted based on number of years in service but on merit. Based on number of high profile offenders and arrests you carry out and solve, you are promoted. If you like, stay idle while your mates are working, till you get disengaged for lack of performance. Ensure that every police station is connected to a central 911 system and all telephone lines must be active 24hrs with consequences of non-compliance, so that all calls made from the public are recorded and later cross checked by a central system to see if they were followed up by the police unit in charge. Strip the police of every power of brutality or torture and ensure they are trained on ways of digging up evidence and prosecuting crime. Ensure that every police unit records the thumbprint and image and record of every individual arrested for an offense connected to a central database and demand that every unit give a concrete explanation for an individual detained for more than 24hrs at the station - with consequences. Alert the public to write to a central system if any of their wards are detained for more than 24hrs and they are denied access to bail the person for any reason. Install communication and recording gadgets and communication equipment at all police stations.

4. Whistle blower act: this should in fact be at the top list of government priorities in fighting corruption. Enact that act and protect whistleblowers who can come up with evidence about any fraud cases at work, in the public, or even in suspected cases of bribery or fraud against their bosses, public officers etc. this includes whistleblowing against suspected cases of activities like job recruitments and contract awards

5. Technology: in this modern age, you cannot fight crime without technology. Ensure that all government projects and activities are no longer paper based. Build databases for all government agencies and employ database administrators, software developers and IT Professionals across the country to manage these systems. Train and retrain these professionals periodically abroad to meet international standards and practices.

6. Internal Audits: Employ internal auditors in all government institutions who are promoted based on successful whistleblowing of fraud and fraud cases, keep them renewable contracts instead of permanent employment, so that if they do not perform, you terminate their contracts. Agencies like NPA, NNPC, Customs will need many of these, not just 1. In fact, all government agencies. Transfer these auditors periodically. Someone will definitely blow the whistle for a probe or external audit.

So many more. I could give a lecture or offer consulting on this.
Excellent points.
EFCC and the police can be under one item but we need to promote based on merit in the entire civil service. Same should apply to hiring in the first place.
I found it crazy that people still push papers in the civil service in this day and age. We need to digitalize our civil service.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by kay29000(m): 3:53pm On May 09, 2015
I will use technology. lol! No, I am naturally an anti-curruption guy by nature (nothing has to be put in place to make me do the right thing), so I would find pple like me and put them in all the top positions. But ofcos, that won't be enough...I'll also put a heavy penalty (heavy jail time) in place for pple that are found corrupt. That would definitely do it. Anyway,if you have problem lastinglong in bed, hit me up on BBM- 7C22F6EC.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 3:54pm On May 09, 2015
By killing some people cheesy

She's imperfect, but the best!

Tohpahz for Miss Nairaland!!

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2390781_votefortoh23110_gifb2a7f0f297118e2d3115315d97f80c2b

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by ElekeNtioba: 3:54pm On May 09, 2015
Borrussia:
I go against that, since petty thieves are being killed why can't the same punishment go to our politicians? Very simple, they have what it takes to buy themselves outta such predicament.

dats why GEJ said "stealing is not corruption". A petty thief steals out of desperation or as a last resort to feed himself or family while a politician embezzles public funds simply out of greed. They are not in the same category.

Petty thieves are only killed (according to the law) if they engage in "armed robbery". I dont see hw a politician can buy himself out of court decision.

Capital punishment is the only way if we want to be serious abt tackling corruption. Its too endemic in our society.

3 Likes

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by anwo247: 3:54pm On May 09, 2015
Lubbish
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by chibas: 3:54pm On May 09, 2015
Twaci:
Corruption can never be erased, neither by military rule nor democracy.

The realization and acceptance of this fact is a step forward for all of us.

IMO.

Kindly vote me for Miss. Nairaland 2015. Thanks smiley.
china case is worst compare to nigeria but now they are fighting it, so what stops nigeria
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 3:55pm On May 09, 2015
I think making death penalty the punishment for corruption is enough to help fight it.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by deniyor: 3:55pm On May 09, 2015
Twaci:
Corruption can never be erased, neither by military rule nor democracy.

The realization and acceptance of this fact is a step forward for all of us.

IMO.

Kindly vote me for Miss. Nairaland 2015. Thanks smiley.

Absolutely disagree. Corruption can be eradicated. The percentage of corrupt Nigerians is extraordinarily high. Thats why we have underachieved so far.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by ITbomb(m): 3:57pm On May 09, 2015
slimfit1:

In a sane country, the police are the most feared, even soldiers can't try the police. The police can arrest anybody even in the barracks.
In a sane country, police are feared by the criminals and respected by the innocent .
In Nigeria, police are respected by criminals and feared by the innocent.

1 Like

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by chamboy(m): 3:57pm On May 09, 2015
D solution is in the hands of we youths
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by tohpahz(f): 3:58pm On May 09, 2015
Lemme think..
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by sanniabiola(m): 3:58pm On May 09, 2015
There's nothing like tackling corruption, instead of tackling corruption, why not handle attitudinal greed in the society. It's as simple as stop financing state owned Agency that generate revenue, privatize state owned companies, institute a price regulatory body comprising of professionals from government institutions. Recognize patriotism and statesmanship than Titles and affluence. Impose adequate taxing system on wealthy individuals and confiscate everything owned by anyone allegedly involve in any corrupt practices and deny his relatives state opportunity such as free education and health, also ensure such person profile is disregarded internationally and place trade ban on any nation that deals with such individual. I can go on and on because it's not the politicians that are corrupt, it's those managing the system mostly. To cap it all, there should be an unwritten law to combat corruption cases such that council of jury mainly from among the citizens decide the fate of anyone indicted. Within a decade, Nigerians will take pride in contentment and those that would seek political offices would leverage on there clean social status.

1 Like

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by deniyor: 3:58pm On May 09, 2015
Borrussia:
Peoples like temitemi1, Barcanista, ichidodo, mizmycoli, seun, truckpusher.

Your attention is neededembarassed

As for me, corruption is mostly based in the oil sector and that's what I'm gonna tackle, I might also find a way to get rid of peoples like obasanjo and Tinubu from all form of government.

Corruption is in every section of Nigeria. Not just oil sector. It's ingrained in our every day lives. You can point at politicians like Obasanjo or Tinubu, but you need to look at yourself too. How corrupt are you in your every day activities. I'm sure if we bring a microscope to your personal life, work etc we might need to get rid of you too.

1 Like

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by niceguy7(m): 4:00pm On May 09, 2015
Menh this question is very sensitive oo!
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by 3ace(m): 4:00pm On May 09, 2015
One area we often don't look at when corruption is discussed is the Civil service. Corruption is so endemic in the civil service that it might even take God Himself to personally come down and sanitize it. Since most of them have been working there for 20, 30 years, they know all the loopholes to appropriate money to themselves. Infact, I'm even inclined to believe that they play a great role in the fraudulent excessiveness of our politicians. But to an extent, I won't blame them though. This is because this is a country where you serve your country with your productive years and after retirement, they dump you and refuse to carry out their obligation in the form of pension. So many of these pensioners have died trying to claim what was theirs. Those that are not dead are suffering in silence with no hope for them and their families. Now, the younger ones in the civil service know this and you expect them not to feather their nest and protect their future? No way! Thus, I will firstly revisit pending cases of pension thieves and convict anybody found guilty. This is to show that I mean business and to also serve as a deterrent to others. I will employ strong and reliable mechanism to protect pension fund from theft. Finally, I will review the rigorous procedures these people are subjected to all in the name of screening out impostors. I believe the exercise can be stress-free and still achieve same objective.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by deniyor: 4:00pm On May 09, 2015
slimfit1:
I will expand and secure the prisons first, then I will start with the police first train the once that need training and inform them of their duties and responsibilities as a police officer. I don't think Nigerian police know what they are doing. Create a department that will police the police themselves a watch dog.

In a sane country, the police are the most feared, even soldiers can't try the police. The police can arrest anybody even in the barracks.
Soldier over reach in the powers and duties. This is exaggerated by the incompetence of the police.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by kayusbrown(m): 4:01pm On May 09, 2015
Very simple. All public officers must take oath of office with Ogun, Sango or Ayelala. That's all!
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by onosprince(m): 4:02pm On May 09, 2015
[size=20pt]I will first of all take my 50% and also sort my oga at the top... then in my second tenure i will tackle kworuption.[/size]
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by deniyor: 4:02pm On May 09, 2015
Ezenwammadu:
Since our judiciary is broken and will take years to amend l will simply build my own death squad to eliminate all corrupt morons then bully the hell out of the family to bring back the stolen money if they resist my men will take them out and bully the next of kin.

Be sure to start the killings with you and your family. Most nigerians are being hypocritical in thinking they are not corrupt in their every day lives. Quick to blame politicians and others as being corrupt. Dude, look at yourself and your family first.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by deniyor: 4:04pm On May 09, 2015
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by ohenhen1: 4:06pm On May 09, 2015
1. Address both chambers of the house of the Assembly that corruption will not be tollerated.
2. Direct the House of Assembly to remove immunity for law makers, and government officials.
3. Use the media as a tool. Announce the cases to the public. Announce details of the trials to the media.
4. Use technology to stop corruption.
5. Tougher penalties for the people caught. In addition to the fines, all properties will be seized and auctioned off for restitution payments. Right now if you steal 1 billion Naira, you can pay about 7 million Naira fine to avoid jail. You get to keep the remaining loot.
6. Work with the International community. We need countries to ban Nigerians from having International bank accounts if they are not working or living in a foreign country.

7. Better cooperation with Interpol to investigate the flow of money overseas. Also to investigate rogue accounts.
8. Conduct secret investigations on all government and private institutions.
9. Strengthen all institutions.
10. Empower the auditor general to investigate every level of government.
11. Independent EFCC and attorney general.
12. Strengthen whistle blower laws
13. Better witness protection program

2 Likes

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nihilist: 4:06pm On May 09, 2015
Corruption is a symptom and not a disease.

Tackling the main source of corruption which is gross inequality will greatly reduce but not totally eradicate corruption...

1 Like

Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 4:07pm On May 09, 2015
temitemi1:
By putting pple like tinubu,atiku, bukola saraki,madueke, behind bar! GEJ my HERO! FAYOSE my ROLE MODEL!!
grin grin..but u dey craze oo
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by ademega(m): 4:08pm On May 09, 2015
I will not be corrupt and I will show transparence in all dealings . by example first!
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by Nobody: 4:08pm On May 09, 2015
Good one. I learnt from this. But it wouldn't be so easy to implement in a country where there are die hard criminals who don't want this country to progress because doing so will leave them bankrupt.
socialmediaman:
Tackling corruption is not a one man show, it needs policies, constitutional laws and reforms in various sectors. Here are some insights:

1. Reform The Judiciary: Carry out a serious judicial reform. First of all, get qualified people with exceptional records to lead the reforms. Laws don't make sense if they're not implemented. Find these patriots, they are there in our systems. Grant accelerated hearing on corruption cases and expand the courts. Part of these reforms will ensure civil matters do not bug the judicial system by getting as far as the supreme courts. Establish small courts for small offenses, if you've watched the popular "Judge Judy" you'll understand my point. In fact, a reform would be focused on accelerating speed of judgement delivery, fraud reduction to the barest minimum and elimination of bottlenecks...

2. Empower the EFCC: The EFCC should not be another government arm where Nigerians go to submit CVs and get recruited. These guys should have exceptional educational records and must be trained periodically. Train them on how to dig up evidence and prosecute offenders, and promote them based on how many cases they are able to dig up and prosecute successfully, not based on number of years put into idle service. Expand the EFCC into every state. Get the system interconnected with technology to ensure that all cases are properly documented

3. Reform The Police: Police officers should stop being promoted based on number of years in service but on merit. Based on number of high profile offenders and arrests you carry out and solve, you are promoted. If you like, stay idle while your mates are working, till you get disengaged for lack of performance. Ensure that every police station is connected to a central 911 system and all telephone lines must be active 24hrs with consequences of non-compliance, so that all calls made from the public are recorded and later cross checked by a central system to see if they were followed up by the police unit in charge. Strip the police of every power of brutality or torture and ensure they are trained on ways of digging up evidence and prosecuting crime. Ensure that every police unit records the thumbprint and image and record of every individual arrested for an offense connected to a central database and demand that every unit give a concrete explanation for an individual detained for more than 24hrs at the station - with consequences. Alert the public to write to a central system if any of their wards are detained for more than 24hrs and they are denied access to bail the person for any reason. Install communication and recording gadgets and communication equipment at all police stations.

4. Whistle blower act: this should in fact be at the top list of government priorities in fighting corruption. Enact that act and protect whistleblowers who can come up with evidence about any fraud cases at work, in the public, or even in suspected cases of bribery or fraud against their bosses, public officers etc. this includes whistleblowing against suspected cases of activities like job recruitments and contract awards

5. Technology: in this modern age, you cannot fight crime without technology. Ensure that all government projects and activities are no longer paper based. Build databases for all government agencies and employ database administrators, software developers and IT Professionals across the country to manage these systems. Train and retrain these professionals periodically abroad to meet international standards and practices.

6. Internal Audits: Employ internal auditors in all government institutions who are promoted based on successful whistleblowing of fraud and fraud cases, keep them renewable contracts instead of permanent employment, so that if they do not perform, you terminate their contracts. Agencies like NPA, NNPC, Customs will need many of these, not just 1. In fact, all government agencies. Transfer these auditors periodically. Someone will definitely blow the whistle for a probe or external audit.

So many more. I could give a lecture or offer consulting on this.
Re: If You’re The President Of Nigeria, How Will You Tackle Corruption? by timilehing(m): 4:09pm On May 09, 2015
I'll give them the chance to return 50% of their loot and also ban their family members till 3rd generation from political posts. Failure to comply will leads to execution of all names on your stolen properties if you lose your trail

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

President Buhari’s Christmas Message To Nigerians (must Read) / It’s The Turn Of North-central To Produce President — Saraki / Takeover Of Buhari’s Campaign Office In Katsina Signals Collapse Of APC - PDP

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.