Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past (69130 Views)

Pictures From The Boat Regatta Held For Lagos@50 / Pictures From Obodoukwu Festival Held In Imo State / Pictures From Omabe Festival In Nsukka, Enugu State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by robosky02(m): 2:12pm On May 14, 2015
Mary Mitchell Slessor, (1848-1915) and family in calabar

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by donkunzman: 2:15pm On May 14, 2015
So wasteful. See cloth in the floor. Why stress the boy if you're going to drag the cloth anyways?
Lilimax:
Okiotie Eboh the first Nigeria Minister of Finance with his wife sad

7 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by rhythyson: 2:15pm On May 14, 2015
Demdem:

But i thought the buffon asked us to call him a bastard undecided

Yes we have started calling him nah grin

4 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by abbeymighty(m): 2:15pm On May 14, 2015
Idunmota in Lagos island in early 70's. standing below in the side is lagos tower clock

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by MzJackBaueress(f): 2:15pm On May 14, 2015
Chief K.O. Mbadiwe posing with Italian businessmen in 1965.

4 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Ishilove: 2:15pm On May 14, 2015
KingTom:
You think thats hot, check out Ibrahim Babangida and his wife Maryam grin
Nah.IBB's nose is like pumping machine. I prefer the young Abacha cheesy

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Asuokaa: 2:16pm On May 14, 2015
NaijirianKing:
The Original Dangote. It's crazy to think that Igbos have been hustling at this level since the 1800's. I'm amazed, respect.

i thought jaja of opobo was ijaw niger delta does that make him ibo...no offense and no insults just a question

9 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Pataki: 2:16pm On May 14, 2015
These pictures bring me sadness, to just imagine where Nigeria would have been right now. Compared to the state of no fuel, no electricity across the nation today.

These pictures brings back memories......and a drop of tears to my eyes.

3 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by 9jatatafo(m): 2:17pm On May 14, 2015
OP love this and that Lagos bus looking like funky molue (abole kaja tinz). Love that Enugu building.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 2:17pm On May 14, 2015
What is so special about these pics? Nigeria was very underdeveloped when all those pics were taken. Most people were malnourished, lived in neglected villages with no electricity or running water. Cars were only for the super rich. Roads were virtually non existent. Illiteracy was the order of the day. Op please stop romanticising misery and deprivation. LIFE IS MUCH BETTER TODAY FOR NIGERIANS.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by zaiinneeii(f): 2:18pm On May 14, 2015
Lilimax:
Okiotie Eboh the first Nigeria Minister of Finance with his wife sad

Op, abeg wetin sup wit okiotie dress, is dat suppose to be a train. Y is it on the young 's man nick?

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Lagusta(m): 2:18pm On May 14, 2015
abbeymighty:
Idunmota in Lagos island in early 70's. standing below in the side is lagos tower clock

Is that clock still working embarassed

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 14, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Asaba- Onitsha crossing in 1959.
This was before the famous Niger bridge was built se? That should have been a boundary between Nigeria and "Biafra".

4 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by 2n2k(m): 2:19pm On May 14, 2015
robosky02:

so liberty square was change to tinubu square

hope would not change eagle square to .........

The Tinubu in that square is not Bola ooo, it refers to Madam Efuntoye Tinubu

3 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by KingTom(m): 2:20pm On May 14, 2015
President Yar'adua and his wife Turai at her graduation
Cc: Ishilove grin grin grin

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Lagusta(m): 2:20pm On May 14, 2015
ROSSIKE:
LIFE IS MUCH BETTER TODAY FOR NIGERIANS.

Speak for yourself....

4 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by iamrealdeji(m): 2:20pm On May 14, 2015
May God bless you Op,ose aunty mi,i really enjoyed myself watching and saving These pics
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by PhockPhockMan: 2:21pm On May 14, 2015
Lagusta:

King jaja was not an Igbo man bruv.....

@mzjackbaueress nice thread, following, please more pics please

Sharrraaaaap.

Jaja was from Igbo extraction. He was believed to have been born in Amaigbo in the present day Imo state of Nigeria. He was later enslaved during the slave trade era and ended up in Bonny in the Niger Delta area. Although he was a slave, he became a member of the Anna Pepple House. Anna Pepple House was a political cum economic structure where some group of individuals within Bonny established a common understanding towards advancing their common business goals and interest. He was able to work up the ladder in the Anna Pepple House because of his well known and dynamic trading capability.
He later became the head of the House. Under Jaja, the Anna Pepple House became very wealthy. This growing prosperity became a thing of envy from the rivals. To avoid and conflict because of the envy, Jaja pulled out in of the Bonny area in 1869 taking with him more than half of the components of the Anna Pepple House. He found a new coastal settlement named Opobo not too far from Bonny.

http://www.africablast.com/2013/05/king-jaja-of-opobo-and-his-relationship.html?m=1

15 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 2:22pm On May 14, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
For those of us who used Lacombes text book. grin
I remember seeing this textbook with my father's sister;I was still small then.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 2:22pm On May 14, 2015
Pataki:
These pictures bring me sadness, to just imagine where Nigeria would have been right now. Compared to the state of no fuel, no electricity across the nation today.

You are ignorant. What fuel? What electricity? It is actually today you have those things in far greater abundance. In the 1950s power generation stood at 270mw. Rural areas were in total darkness. There was no fuel issue because the majority used bicycles not cars. If you had grown up then you'd likely be an illiterate because litetacy rate was less than 10% at independence, compared to 74% today.

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by 9jatatafo(m): 2:22pm On May 14, 2015
Pataki:

Way back then corruption, greed, stealing was almost zero. every man and woman was his or her neighbour's keeper but not anymore. I weep for this country. Just in the early nineties here, N20 was enough for me to go to school from Monday to Friday while in secondary school.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by MzJackBaueress(f): 2:22pm On May 14, 2015
Sir Hugh Charles Clifford. Governor General of Nigeria. 1919-1925

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by johnbosco97(m): 2:22pm On May 14, 2015
Asuokaa:

i thought jaja of opobo was ijaw niger delta does that make him ibo...no offense and no insults just a question

You are wrong. He was Igbo man in fresh, blood and spirit. His descendants see themselves as Igbo.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by KingTom(m): 2:23pm On May 14, 2015
Ishilove:

Nah.IBB's nose is like pumping machine. I prefer the young Abacha cheesy
grin grin grin
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by MzJackBaueress(f): 2:23pm On May 14, 2015
Late Senator Uche Chukwumerije in 1970

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by ozodigboo(m): 2:23pm On May 14, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
Lord Lugard and other colonial masters with Emir of katsina(wearing black turban) and sarkin katsina, Mohammed Dikko in katasina 1903
There are 2 people wearing black turban in that pic.
Nice pics sha........well done.
Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by sigain: 2:24pm On May 14, 2015
Nnamdi Azikiwe Street Idumota along with Carter Bridge in 1959

2 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by robosky02(m): 2:24pm On May 14, 2015
Oloibiri: The site were the first oil-well was drilled in Nigeria.
at Oloibiri, in Ogbia, Bayelsa State, in 1956

7 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Nobody: 2:25pm On May 14, 2015
MzJackBaueress:
The Tinubu Square erected in 1960. It was formerly called "THE FOUNTAIN OF LIBERTY".

The picture was taken in 1965
Tinubu square was beautiful then,now market everywhere.

4 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Pebcak: 2:26pm On May 14, 2015

6 Likes

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by kelvine(m): 2:26pm On May 14, 2015
Please sir, did you read to get this information or you are old enough to have witnessed the sequence as a youth ? Either way my respect sir, thanks to all refreshing our minds with history. Someday I will pretend to my kids I know so much too grin grin grin.

StOla:

Doyin Okupe is no prince since his father was not a King, but a popular industrialist that started the Agbonmagbe bank (Wema bank). The kings in the Okupe-Agbonmagbe family was Doyin's grand father and succeeded by his father's older brother (Doyin's uncle). After that, the stool of the Alaperu of Iperu-Remo moved to another ruling house.

At best, Doyin's Father was a prince and brother to a king. Therefore Doyin is Iperu-Remo nobility but no prince.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Pictures From Nigeria's Past by Pataki: 2:26pm On May 14, 2015
ROSSIKE:
You are ignorant. What fuel? What electricity? It is actually today you have those things in far greater abundance. In the 1950s power generation stood at 270mw. Rural areas were in total darkness. There was no fuel issue because the majority used bicycles not cars.

If not that you are a very daft useless nuisance, I would have responded to you like a normal human being. Your way of reasoning is non-different from an agama lizard. Hopeless entity.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Facts About The Yoruba Enclave In The Heart Of Aniocha In Delta State / BBC's Documentary On The 'Bronze Cast Head Of The Ife King' / Oba Elegushi’s 2nd Wife, Hadiza Steps Into The Palace 6 Months After Wedding

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.