Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,703 members, 7,831,197 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? - Romance (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? (52560 Views)

Question Of The Day: Can You Date Without Sex? / Can You Really Date Someone With A Disability? / Can You Date Someone 12 Years Older Or Younger Than You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by holicalpha(m): 6:05pm On May 14, 2015
Summer1:
Now I realize that NL has very few matureminded people..see all of you consenting to date people who cannot speak well..unbelievable.
matured-minded,madamme.
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by Prettydiamond(f): 6:06pm On May 14, 2015
Acidosis:

I hereby change your name to: Her Royal Majesty Prettydiamond. Could you please honour my pm with a response? *winks*
dats funny coz I'm a princess already...winkz
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by Kingsasian(m): 6:08pm On May 14, 2015
AnneMomoh:
Love is what matters, Together we can polish the English
you are the best.
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by kinibigdeal(m): 6:08pm On May 14, 2015
vizkiz:
I think you need to work better on your contsruction. Too many comas(,) and you should know when to use fullstop(.) undecided

Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by masqot(m): 6:09pm On May 14, 2015
Bad command of English language could be a turn off; particularly when a lady has raised my hope in that respect. However, it's not on the top of my priority if pride will not overshadow her readiness to improve (like OP) as you need to be good impress me. I love intelligent ladies instead.
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by dunkem21(m): 6:10pm On May 14, 2015
..anybody see mizmycolicyclopaedia grin
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 14, 2015
BlissB:
My brother...i don't understand o...maybe he wanted to say he can't percieve or something and he said its disturbin his perseverance or is dere anything like percieverance in d English dictionary pls tell me maybe am not aware of it
After taking a meticulous scrutiny on your erroneous comment,it's evidently ostensible you're a typical paradigm of "acute illiteracy at its zenith".to be honest with you,take a look at your postulate,it's full of faux pas or probably parapraxis because I can't conclude immaculately that you're not mentally and intellectually derailed.cease showcasing your wackness and stop portraying yourself as an irksome archetype of gargantuan foolhardiness.who even knows,probably you made up the story just to publicise your abysmal illiteracy disdainfully.I can pinpoint a mendacious text when I see one.last bullet:you're nothing but a liar.wacko.

1 Like

Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by Tirham1: 6:11pm On May 14, 2015
No I can't.
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by Acidosis(m): 6:11pm On May 14, 2015
Prettydiamond:
dats funny coz I'm a princess already...winkz
...you don't mean it?! cheesy Can we then start preparations for a royal wedding?
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by tonero230(m): 6:13pm On May 14, 2015
Summer1:
Now I realize that NL has very few matureminded people..see all of you consenting to date people who cannot speak well..unbelievable.

What if someone speaks well without a good character?
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by Nobody: 6:13pm On May 14, 2015
BlissB:
For ur information, dat last part i used pidgin.....just accept the fact dat ur fellow bro was wrong and even you can't type one complete sentence all d time....ewe
Lol. Pained?? grin
Can't type one complete sentence all the time.....Really?? Humour me! cheesy

Just so you know, I know what that last word means. Smh.
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by Toks2008(m): 6:15pm On May 14, 2015
BlissB:
My brother...i don't understand o...maybe he wanted to say he can't percieve or something and he said its disturbin his perseverance or is dere anything like percieverance in d English dictionary pls tell me maybe am not aware of it

Lol i guess its a hindi language..

But honestly i have come to realize that its not the inability to speak English fluently that is the problem but it is in the arrogance of the people who can't.

Look at patience Jonathan,we are not concerned about her inability to speak but the arrogance displayed because she could easily hire a translator or speak in pidgin and we will understand.

Ok look at this guy or instance, would you have known how awkward he is if he said something like"omo this catar won kill me o, the thing no allow me focus"

The problem of people with bad command of English is not really the inability to speak but it is in vomiting what they are not even sure of. At least do some self improvements and when in a gathering that warrants you contributing, simply apologize before hand that you are not too sound and then continue speaking the simple ones you know and avoid big grammar.
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by Nobody: 6:15pm On May 14, 2015
babyosisi:

Exactly!!
No matter how good a man is ,if he can't string two words together and come up with correct sentences,he automatically scores a zero
The other thing I am learning to overlook with maturity are the men that have the h factor defect
Oh,that thing irritates me badly
You see a handsome man ,tall,well dressed with a presence and he opens his mouth to speak and he will be adding h where there is none and removing them where they ought to be.
I tune off
Even in Church,when a man a man of God begins to say " this his ow God will elp us in this hour"
Pronouncing the h in hour
Honor and you hear this heavy h sound preceding the pronunciation of honor,I just lose interest in his message.
Ow are you? Hai ope you are good

1 Like

Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by iamrealdeji(m): 6:16pm On May 14, 2015
fruqsy:

"with a poor usage of English",this is syntactically and semantically correct but grammatically,the performance is not there "with poor usage of English" is the correct grammatical form.
My opinion:dating someone with a superb and fluent well organised grammatical understanding and delivering of English language is a plus because it makes her more presentable but it shouldn't be a yardstick to date someone. As some girls would say "na English we want chop"
what happens to speaking it to her constantly to mold her for good,believe me,constant reading of novel and speaking of English is what brings about eloquence,i love reading novels a lot and love listening to foreign songs and encourage people to do the same,not to polish my grammar,but to entertain myself,the end result is always great,i'm a yoruba guy but people do find it hard to believe I can speak yoruba if I'm talking. But I don't see it as anything at all,eloquence ain't a goddamn achievement,it ain't nothing to me at all,matter of fact,i do admire people that can speak yoruba very well,as in people that know those proverbs

1 Like

Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by Mrblaze06: 6:16pm On May 14, 2015
Another bashing thread...
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by twosquare(m): 6:16pm On May 14, 2015
Summer1:

U have ur kind of virtues u look out for in women..I have mine and as sure as hell, a poor command of English is not a virtue..u know that too even if u don't want to accept it, its a huge turn off
English is just a language 98% of Chinese don't understand, billionaires don't speak it but communicate in Mandarin. It is edee Geesi to be precise, virtue is beyond being fluent like odidere (parrot), even though such a man or lady doesn't have okro on top im head.....#team_decolonizing_the_mind
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by Prettydiamond(f): 6:17pm On May 14, 2015
Acidosis:

...you don't mean it?! cheesy Can we then start preparations for a royal wedding?
Clears throat
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by iamrealdeji(m): 6:20pm On May 14, 2015
Mzdivacious:
ma nigga u kinda just lied
PS I'm Yoruba
I lied about what pretty girl?
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by BlissB(f): 6:20pm On May 14, 2015
Toks2008:

Lol i guess its a hindi language..

But honestly i have come to realize that its not the inability to speak English fluently that is the problem but it is in the arrogance of the people who can't.

Look at patience Jonathan,we are not concerned about her inability to speak but the arrogance displayed because she could easily hire a translator or speak in pidgin and we will understand.

Ok look at this guy or instance, would you have known how awkward he is if he said something like"omo this catar won kill me o, the thing no allow me focus"

The problem of people with bad command of English is not really the inability to speak but it is in vomiting what they are not even sure of. At least do some self improvements and when in a gathering that warrants you contributing, simply apologize before hand that you are not too sound and then continue speaking the simple ones you know and avoid big grammar.
My dear thks..u r on point!
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by BlissB(f): 6:23pm On May 14, 2015
iAmCharis:
Lol. Pained?? grin
Can't type one complete sentence all the time.....Really?? Humour me! cheesy

Just so you know, I know what that last word means. Smh.
Wups!....thkGod u knw...
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by Acidosis(m): 6:23pm On May 14, 2015
Prettydiamond:
Clears throat
*Smiles *
Conversation continues...
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by femi4: 6:23pm On May 14, 2015
tohpahz:

So because i can't cope with bad English u won't vote for me..
Lolzz.
Mehnnn.. people can be funny oo
Alright, since you are putting on Chelsea jersey.....you are back in the game
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by Nobody: 6:27pm On May 14, 2015
CFCfan:

Ow are you? Hai ope you are good

* waka* grin
Hi ham not earing you
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by BlissB(f): 6:28pm On May 14, 2015
IZANAMI:

After taking a meticulous scrutiny on your erroneous comment,it's evidently ostensible you're a typical paradigm of "acute illiteracy at its zenith".to be honest with you,take a look at your postulate,it's full of faux pas or probably parapraxis because I can't conclude immaculately that you're not mentally and intellectually derailed.cease showcasing your wackness and stop portraying yourself as an irksome archetype of gargantuan foolhardiness.who even knows,probably you made up the story just to publicise your abysmal illiteracy disdainfully.I can pinpoint a mendacious text when I see one.last bullet:you're nothing but a liar.wacko.
Okay...............peace
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by Kingsasian(m): 6:28pm On May 14, 2015
preetyb:

So true because some of us did not have the priviledge to practice english at home after being thought at school. some of our parents too did not help matter as they dont care if u speak good english or not because they are also not learned in english language. Our friends too did not help in any way because theirs' was to mock some of us that made the attempt to practice good english at home. But these does not mean that some of us can not write down good english to a great extent , we only cant speak fluently because we did not get much opportunity to practice it orally. All the same speaking good or bad english boils dwn to the people we associated with while growing up, enviroment, backgroud nd parental encouragement.

Feel free to correct my grammatical blunders.
hmmmm! Excellent!
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by AXYZ: 6:28pm On May 14, 2015
vizkiz:
I think you need to work better on your contsruction. Too many comas(,) and you should know when to use fullstop(.) undecided

you're undoubtedly right! I copied this post below from one of her threads:

"Guys eehn, we don't even know what u guys want again.. If we do, una go say we too do, if we don't, u tag us immature and inexperienced.

Few months ago, this guy asked me out and after some time, I accepted his toast and started going out with him. Few months into the relationship, he said he wanted to tell me something very crucial, guess what he said, I quote "we re matured, no need to beat about the bush, I'm not cool with virgins, if u know u re, u go find something to do abt it".. and the funniest thing is all dis while we've never even discussed anything related to my being a virgin or not.. He just came out plain.. My question is, what does he mean by, "go find something to do about it? "
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by Kingsasian(m): 6:29pm On May 14, 2015
tosyne2much:
I will murder the eeeediooot

Sometimes you have to come out of your GENTLEMAN shell and give those eeeediots what they deserve cheesy
You've already murdered him.
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by staymore: 6:34pm On May 14, 2015
Summer1:

I understand u got pissed at the topic but its quite unfortunate I can't take it back.. Tell ur male friends with a poor usage of English to upgrade..it's for their own good

You were earlier advised to take note of comas(,) and full stop(.).

Your comment here also ended without full stop. undecided undecided
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by subbieD(f): 6:34pm On May 14, 2015

1 Like

Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by loomer: 6:36pm On May 14, 2015
U de find guy with polished English no be say ur own polish self
Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by Nobody: 6:36pm On May 14, 2015
lai lai eno fit happen.. I speak English flawlessly Dating or marrying someone who instead. of saying "Who told you" end up saying "who spoke you so" will be pestilential.

1 Like

Re: Can You Date Someone Whose English Is Very Poor?? by subbieD(f): 6:36pm On May 14, 2015
To me, I think English is not everything....

Imagine ds;

Man A- English No Money

Man B- Money No English ..... I will Def go for Man B nd get a Gud teacher 4 him Wc settles d whole fin....... wink wink wink

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (21) (Reply)

I Am Scared My Girlfriend Could Be A Lesbian / Pre-Wedding Photos Of A Naval Officer And His Plus-Sized Fiancée / At What Age Did You Have Your First Kiss? Where?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.