Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,466 members, 7,864,952 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 10:00 AM

Three Arguments For God's Existence - Religion (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Three Arguments For God's Existence (100914 Views)

What Christians Say When They Are Losing Arguments (For Atheists) / How Did Demons Come Into Existence? Who Created Them? / 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (48) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by dalaman: 9:31pm On Jul 21, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Again ... You are not serious . So you would say its photoshop ? Bring that guy to Lagos or forget it !

It will be somebody I know. So no need to panic. It can not be forged.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by davodyguy: 8:16am On Jul 22, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Nice one ! Maybe this could help dalaman understand the role of science and religion in life .

And do you think there is life outside earth ? I believe God has other plans for the universe as regards to intelligent life outside man . What do you think ?
It is very possible. The ways of God are mysterious and unsearchable for men.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by thehomer: 4:26pm On Jul 22, 2015
davodyguy:
How?

It suggests that plants existed before the sun. And that it is appropriate for people to be enslaved.

davodyguy:

No

What does it mean?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by davodyguy: 4:38pm On Jul 22, 2015
thehomer:

It suggests that plants existed before the sun.
But was there Light before the sun?

thehomer:

And that it is appropriate for people to be enslaved.
I don't think (if at all such happened) it was causeless

thehomer:

What does it mean?
That the bible doesn't necessarily have to be explained by modern scientific thought
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by thehomer: 4:43pm On Jul 22, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

First, red blood cells need DNA at the first stage of their life cycle. Clearly, you are ignorant of this. If your DNA disappears, a significant amount of your red blood cells will malfunction or die.

I know that but as I said, red blood cells function for months without DNA. By significant do you mean up to 40% or what? Do you think that the cells stop functioning immediately?

AllNaijaBlogger:

Secondly, radiation/cancer messes up your DNA, if the damage is so much that your DNA fails to repair itself properly. Now imagine if the dna disappears totally. Imagine if most of your organs were malfunctioning because its cells have all lost DNA. Multiple organ failure is death within seconds or minutes, especially if the organs that fail are 3 or more. In this case, your brain, kidney, liver, skin etc will all be affected.

And how long does it take to die from radiation poisoning or cancer? DNA disappearing doesn't mean the cells stop functioning immediately. That is the fact that you've still failed to understand. Multiple organ failure is not death within seconds or minutes. These are the sorts of basic errors that you keep making that just shows your profound ignorance on this issue. As you can see from that article, it occurs in stages and isn't instantaneous.

AllNaijaBlogger:

Yes, just make empty declarations. Please don't waste my time with your feeble attempts at dodging the facts. I did not misuse the word and I gave a dictionary definition with examples. Please.

I simply stated the fact that you misused the word. You gave a dictionary definition that didn't work.

AllNaijaBlogger:

@ bold- what a marvelous strawman!

Common sense should tell you two things

First, you cannot as a Nigerian, claim to know English more than English people and their dictionaries. I gave a common example of a phrase used in UK/US and you are now claiming that they are wrong. Not only that, I backed it up with a dictionary definition. Mr Homer, please learn to humble yourself before your humiliate yourself.

But common sense didn't show you anything apparently. That example shows the flaw in your thinking. The dictionary definition you gave didn't help your point. The word "literally" was being used in that sentence in a non-figurative manner and it is that fact that keeps eluding you.

AllNaijaBlogger:

Secondly, a normally healthy person could die anytime within one second to 70 years. Death with such a person cannot be said to be imminent. However, a person with terminal cancer will die in the nearest future. Death is both certain and imminent. There is a vast difference.

But you said the person with cancer was literally a dead man walking not that he was figuratively a dead man walking. It is simply becoming clear to me and anyone else reading this that the language is difficult for you.

AllNaijaBlogger:

What is wrong with you?

Nothing.

AllNaijaBlogger:

Does your husband/wife give you raw garri to eat with soup? Or can you mould raw garri into a bowl shape?

You can add water to garri or eba and eat it with soup. You can add water to raw garri or raw eba and it will achieve the shape.

AllNaijaBlogger:

Please, think before you type

Clearly you didn't think before you typed.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by thehomer: 4:44pm On Jul 22, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Because they are correct , what makes you think scientific answers are correct ?

Religious answers are correct because they're correct? I guess that means Zoroastrianism is correct.

Scientific answers are correct because they match the real world.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by thehomer: 4:45pm On Jul 22, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

What are your hands made of ?

Please answer the question. What were God's hands made of? Flesh and bone.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by thehomer: 4:46pm On Jul 22, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Where are your hands today ?

Please answer my question.

My hands are attached to my body.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by thehomer: 4:47pm On Jul 22, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:
@ thehomer : What is the universe ? Define universe ...

What is the point of this question?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:49pm On Jul 22, 2015
thehomer:

Please answer the question. What were God's hands made of? Flesh and bone.

Obviously not flesh and bone ... No one has seen God - Yaweh ... But He can communicate to man in different forms
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:49pm On Jul 22, 2015
thehomer:

Please answer my question.

My hands are attached to my body.

God's hands are attached to his body
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:59pm On Jul 22, 2015
thehomer:

Religious answers are correct because they're correct? I guess that means Zoroastrianism is correct.

Scientific answers are correct because they match the real world.

So show me using science

1. The initial conditions of the big bang
2. How life came from the non-living
3. How the DNA arose naturally
4. The ancestry line of monkeys using evolution
5. Reincarnation (This has already been verified )
6. Dreams
7. Why other animals are not as intelligent as man

Just deal with these ones first
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:00pm On Jul 22, 2015
thehomer:

What is the point of this question?

You seem not to understand what "universe" is
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:08pm On Jul 22, 2015
thehomer:

I know that but as I said, red blood cells function for months without DNA. By significant do you mean up to 40% or what? Do you think that the cells stop functioning immediately?

I see that you are ignorant about the fact that 2 million red blood cells are produced per second- all of them starting with DNA. Yes some of the red blood cells will stop functioning- those ones still in the early life cycle.

thehomer:

And how long does it take to die from radiation poisoning or cancer? DNA disappearing doesn't mean the cells stop functioning immediately. That is the fact that you've still failed to understand. Multiple organ failure is not death within seconds or minutes. These are the sorts of basic errors that you keep making that just shows your profound ignorance on this issue. As you can see from that article, it occurs in stages and isn't instantaneous.

Radiation poisoning or cancer doesn't kill all your DNA at once, does it?

Wikipedia shouldn't be the backbone of your logic. You should know that multiple organ failure is a general name. If your heart, lungs and brain failed, you'd be dead within seconds. If your liver and kidney failed you could survive for hours.

Common sense is not common.

What you fail to understand is that without DNA, your cells are as good as dead. They will malfunction and such a malfunction across one's whole body will cause death.

thehomer:

I simply stated the fact that you misused the word. You gave a dictionary definition that didn't work.

A dictionary definition that doesnt work? Oxymoronic

In the context, it works.

thehomer:

But common sense didn't show you anything apparently. That example shows the flaw in your thinking. The dictionary definition you gave didn't help your point. The word "literally" was being used in that sentence in a non-figurative manner and it is that fact that keeps eluding you.

thehomer:

But you said the person with cancer was literally a dead man walking not that he was figuratively a dead man walking. It is simply becoming clear to me and anyone else reading this that the language is difficult for you.

Figurative as in metaphorical?

Guess what? The end of the universe is also a metaphor for death. However, the end of the universe literally means death of all life.

Cancer (terminal) too is a metaphor for death. But having terminal cancer will literally kill you.

What? Did I just blow your mind?

thehomer:

[size=18pt]You can add water to garri or eba and eat it with soup. You can add water to raw garri or raw eba and it will achieve the shape.[/size]

Don't mind the huge text, I just want everyone to see the liar you are wink
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by UyiIredia(m): 1:29pm On Jul 23, 2015
thehomer:

Yes amino acids are present in living things.

This doesn't help your case as you've not stated what is responsible for living things using only L amino acid isomers.

thehomer:
Yes and have you rectified that problem?

It's your problem if you deny the facts not mine.

thehomer:
That isn't being deceptive, that is being factual. Evolved systems are different from objects designed by humans. Making that analogy will always fail because it a poor one. You've not shown how intelligence can even exist without a material substrate i.e a brain.

No, it's being deceptive. The fact is that there are similarities between human designs and living things. The fact is that some human designs are biological.

thehomer:
It is an argument from ignorance because whether or not I prove you wrong doesn't make you right. You still have to show your God.

And if you can't prove me wrong how can you say I'm not right ? It doesn't make sense. Not to mention that this is doesn't show how my argument is based on ignorance.

thehomer:
No it isn't because firstly intelligence needs a material substrate. In the case of humans, we have the brain. Does your God have a physical substrate that you can show for you to even begin to make the comparison?

If he has a physical substrate he would be contingent and as such his existence would require an explanation.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by UyiIredia(m): 1:51pm On Jul 23, 2015
thehomer:

What would you say is the function of legs?

Movement and support.

thehomer:
That isn't the only line of evidence. Recall that there are other lines of evidence. Using your example of Java, is it not the case that native applications generally run better and faster than Java programs?

This is about the best evidence and the reasoning behind it. If similarity is all you can point to then your case is weak. I don't know if native applications are faster, my point is that Java is deployed across multiple devices is an example of common design.

thehomer:
Bad design is evidence of a bad designer thus cannot be the work of a perfect person. God shouldn't have any constraints should he?

But there are better designs available so why should humans and other organisms along that lineage have that similarity? That is bad design or even malicious design when we know that there are better designs available.

And those constraints are there because the organism evolved. A good designer won't take the circuitous route.

I talked about whale leg bones. Again, the fact that they've been repurposed isn't why they're vestigial in the biological sense.

So what?

Again, so what?

It is foolishly dense and ignorant to assert organisms that evolved over millions of years were designed by an intelligent person. It is also buffoonish to say that one cannot point out bad design when we've seen good design.

If you want to remain wilfully ignorant feel free. In the meantime, it's clear you did not read the articles I posted since they make nonsense of the rubbish up there. Any designer, God inclusive, has to design a system with certain parameters which are constraints: this doesn't make God less perfect or powerful no more than the laws of logic do.

thehomer:
It is neither.

Good. If consciousness is neither one of them it's clear that the chemical processes in the brain aren't sufficient to account for consciousness, since as anyone knows chemical reactions usually limited to producing chemical compounds
and a release/use of energy.

thehomer:
Just make your point or a summary of what you're trying to get at.

I made my point earlier. Complex and specific information require minds. We don't know of natural processes making them. I described CSI initially.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by texanomaly(f): 2:29pm On Jul 23, 2015
Finally an interesting debate here in the religion section again. undecided
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:51pm On Jul 23, 2015
Someone wont escape this ...
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:09pm On Jul 23, 2015
grin grin grin grin
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by davodyguy: 10:11am On Jul 24, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

I think only A mad man would add water to made Eba after it has transformed from the mixture of garri+water to a meal.

I cant imagine adding water on top of Eba (May be if the eba is too hard, you can use water to soften it) and still call it Eba, as well as eating with stew/soup.

I guess thehomer was just joking with that response grin
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:17am On Jul 24, 2015
davodyguy:

I think only A mad man would add water to made Eba after it has transformed from the mixture of garri+water to a meal.

I cant image adding water on top of Eba (May be if the eba is too hard, you can use water to soften it) and still call it Eba, as well as eating with stew/soup.

I guess thehomer was just joking with that response grin

I think otherwise- TheHomer was just trying to escape the implications of his contradictions.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Kay17: 1:37pm On Jul 24, 2015
UyiIredia:

Movement and support.

As thehomer pointed out, such function in whales are redundant.

This is about the best evidence and the reasoning behind it. If similarity is all you can point to then your case is weak. I don't know if native applications are faster, my point is that Java is deployed across multiple devices is an example of common design.

If you want to remain wilfully ignorant feel free. In the meantime, it's clear you did not read the articles I posted since they make nonsense of the rubbish up there. Any designer, God inclusive, has to design a system with certain parameters which are constraints: this doesn't make God less perfect or powerful no more than the laws of logic do.

So you consider design within the framework of constraints as well? A framework which in your own words have no immediate causal link.

Good. If consciousness is neither one of them it's clear that the chemical processes in the brain aren't sufficient to account for consciousness, since as anyone knows chemical reactions usually limited to producing chemical compounds

If chemical processes are limited to producing chemical compounds, why is there an added result of intoxication affecting human senses and consciousness? Your statement is clearly untrue and a result of lazy research. For you to make a misguided conclusions of a hotly debated topic as consciousness with lazy arguments. You earlier admitted the brain had a pivotal role in consciousness, this statement contradicts it.

I made my point earlier. Complex and specific information require minds. We don't know of natural processes making them. I described CSI initially.

Data passing through a mind or a processor become information. 7 to my mind is a number, and the sum of 4 and 3. It is also an odd number. If squared, would result to 49. The mind creates a context for which data is read. But I did not create the number 7, the data is independent but lent to interpretation by the mind, which creates the context. It is deceptive to portray information standing on its own in nature.

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Kay17: 2:17pm On Jul 24, 2015
UyiIredia:

No, it's being deceptive. The fact is that there are similarities between human designs and living things. The fact is that some human designs are biological.

But you dont allow thehomer argument that complex systems analogous with human designs and despite found in natural are naturally caused.

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by thehomer: 1:55pm On Jul 27, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

Obviously not flesh and bone ... No one has seen God - Yaweh ... But He can communicate to man in different forms

Well what are they made of?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by thehomer: 1:56pm On Jul 27, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

God's hands are attached to his body

And what is his body made of?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by thehomer: 1:58pm On Jul 27, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

So show me using science

1. The initial conditions of the big bang
2. How life came from the non-living
3. How the DNA arose naturally
4. The ancestry line of monkeys using evolution
5. Reincarnation (This has already been verified )
6. Dreams
7. Why other animals are not as intelligent as man

Just deal with these ones first

Lots of these questions are vague and useless. Others you can look up. Reincarnation has not been verified so could you please verify that?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by thehomer: 1:58pm On Jul 27, 2015
KingEbukasBlog:

You seem not to understand what "universe" is

Can you use a dictionary or google? If you can, why have you asked me that pointless question?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by thehomer: 2:06pm On Jul 27, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

I see that you are ignorant about the fact that 2 million red blood cells are produced per second- all of them starting with DNA. Yes some of the red blood cells will stop functioning- those ones still in the early life cycle.

You have trillions of red blood cells functioning for months without DNA so what is your point? Do they work without DNA or not?

AllNaijaBlogger:

Radiation poisoning or cancer doesn't kill all your DNA at once, does it?

I didn't say it did. That was one of my points.

AllNaijaBlogger:

Wikipedia shouldn't be the backbone of your logic. You should know that multiple organ failure is a general name. If your heart, lungs and brain failed, you'd be dead within seconds. If your liver and kidney failed you could survive for hours.

You're still saying rubbish and trying to rescue your ignorant speculation. How on earth is what you've said equivalent to the sudden disappearance of DNA from cells?

AllNaijaBlogger:

Common sense is not common.

Obviously it isn't and you're proof of it.

AllNaijaBlogger:

What you fail to understand is that without DNA, your cells are as good as dead. They will malfunction and such a malfunction across one's whole body will cause death.

I didn't say the cell would live forever, I said the person won't die immediately as if e.g the person got decapitated.

AllNaijaBlogger:

A dictionary definition that doesnt work? Oxymoronic

In the context, it works.

A misused definition doesn't help you.

AllNaijaBlogger:

Figurative as in metaphorical?

Guess what? The end of the universe is also a metaphor for death. However, the end of the universe literally means death of all life.

Cancer (terminal) too is a metaphor for death. But having terminal cancer will literally kill you.

What? Did I just blow your mind?

You just amaze me with your profound ignorant ramble.

AllNaijaBlogger:

Yet to actually show the lie.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by thehomer: 2:18pm On Jul 27, 2015
UyiIredia:

This doesn't help your case as you've not stated what is responsible for living things using only L amino acid isomers.

I already told you that it was due to the conformation of the enzymes.

UyiIredia:

It's your problem if you deny the facts not mine.

The creator you've introduced isn't a fact.

UyiIredia:

The similarities aren't in structure or in how they emerge. You've also not shown that intelligence can exist without a material substrate.

UyiIredia:

And if you can't prove me wrong how can you say I'm not right ? It doesn't make sense. Not to mention that this is doesn't show how my argument is based on ignorance.

The fact that you think I have to prove you wrong shows that you're making an argument from ignorance. That is the meaning of making an argument from ignorance. As I said, whether or not I can prove you wrong doesn't make your argument good.

UyiIredia:

If he has a physical substrate he would be contingent and as such his existence would require an explanation.

Of course your God requires an explanation doesn't he? Or are we to just assume he is out there because you really want it to be so?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by thehomer: 2:29pm On Jul 27, 2015
UyiIredia:

Movement and support.

What are legs supposed to support?

UyiIredia:

It isn't some random similarity or planned similarity, but similarity that we've observed that is coherent with the greater structure of things.

UyiIredia:

Actually, it does since he could have chosen to ignore those parameters or constraints. Your God isn't a perfect designer. Even worse, you've not shown he's out there. What part of the article explains why a good designer would design things badly? Do you have a quote?

UyiIredia:

So what?

UyiIredia:

Evolution produces them.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by UyiIredia(m): 7:14pm On Jul 27, 2015
thehomer:

I already told you that it was due to the conformation of the enzymes.

This is circular reasoning. 'the conformation of the enzymes' is what L amino acids are, that usage requires an explanation.

thehomer:
The creator you've introduced isn't a fact.

That's your opinion. You have failed to show why it's true.

thehomer:
The similarities aren't in structure or in how they emerge. You've also not shown that intelligence can exist without a material substrate.

There are similarities in structure. The said intelligence is inferred from facts I've explained earlier; I can't reveal its existence but I certainly can explain how its existence is inferred.

thehomer:
The fact that you think I have to prove you wrong shows that you're making an argument from ignorance. That is the meaning of making an argument from ignorance. As I said, whether or not I can prove you wrong doesn't make your argument good.

Post the definition of 'argument from ignorance' on Wikipedia and show that what I've done fits it.

thehomer:
Of course your God requires an explanation doesn't he? Or are we to just assume he is out there because you really want it to be so?

The same applies even moreso to your stance, should we just assume that the universe exists uncaused ?

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by UyiIredia(m): 7:30pm On Jul 27, 2015
thehomer:

What are legs supposed to support?

A body.

thehomer:
It isn't some random similarity or planned similarity, but similarity that we've observed that is coherent with the greater structure of things.

2 questions. What is this 'greater structure of things' ? Why must the similarity coherent with this 'greater structure of things' suggest evolution of all life from a common ancestor ?

thehomer:
Actually, it does since he could have chosen to ignore those parameters or constraints. Your God isn't a perfect designer. Even worse, you've not shown he's out there. What part of the article explains why a good designer would design things badly? Do you have a quote?

Once again, the links I posted make nonsense of your claims of bad design. Furthermore, there's no way God could work around such constraints, these constraints are pre-requisites for design. For example, the physical laws of the natural world God made which are necessary for life to exist but would constrain the design of living things.

One thing I say is that perfection is a state of mind. One wonders what a perfect design would have to be like.

thehomer:
So what?

That's the best response you have undecided Maybe it's because you don't have a case at all.

thehomer:
Evolution produces them.

There's no evidence for this. The so-called overwhelming evidence amount to nothing when their premises are analysed.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (48) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo Dedicates Winners' Chapel VGC, Lagos, Built By A Single Member / Is Catholic Church Of The Transfiguration Most Beautiful Church In Nigeria? / TB Joshua's Simple Sitting Room (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.