Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,333 members, 7,815,657 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

Three Arguments For God's Existence - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Three Arguments For God's Existence (99800 Views)

What Christians Say When They Are Losing Arguments (For Atheists) / How Did Demons Come Into Existence? Who Created Them? / 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (48) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Nobody: 10:03pm On Jun 06, 2015
UyiIredia:

No elaborations. I'm arguing for God as generally understood: the Creator of all reality.

So you believe that consciousness can survive death. I don't know any atheist that holds that belief. Are you an atheist ?

I don't listen to quantum physics mumbo-jumbo. The universe is no illusion. It's real and exists whether or not we know it when we're unconscious.

Your arguments here have failed to show that this is true.

I like the way you stylishly evaded all concrete points I made. Anyway good luck with getting to understand your God.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by undercat: 11:39pm On Jun 06, 2015
UyiIredia:
No, you aren't.

Lucky me.

So, what accounts for the universe existence. Itself ? Or God ?

I'm assuming that there are things that can't be accounted for, mainly because assuming otherwise leads to the infamous infinite regress. As we demand for an account of existence we have to keep in mind that there might simply be no account. That being said, I don't know what accounts for the existence of the universe.

Actually a lawless universe cannot possibly look like ours. It's taking any form means it won't adhere to a given configuration or set of laws as our universe does.

Being lawless entails permissibility, or a lack of prohibitions (I actually doubt that there is a tidy definition of randomness or lawlessness). Also, randomness implies unpredictability. If you know what to expect from a random universe, is it truly a random universe?

Actually, codes are laws themselves. They are rules which determine how a given physical system can represent another. For example the word 'water' representing a given thing.

If codes are laws, then they are similar to the natural laws. What is the basis of distinguishing them from any other natural law?

How can that be possible when consciousness is immaterial ?

Given that consciousness is strictly always found in material or physical things, it is preemptive to label it immaterial.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Kay17: 12:58am On Jun 07, 2015
UyiIredia:

What makes codes special is the fact that they represent something else, not their order. Why doesn't it make sense of a conscious God to have caused conscious beings ?

Regardless, the basic form of all codes is order. It is impossible to say that a code lacking order and coherence and then say it is a form of language.

The issue in contention is the cause of consciousness not just in humans.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by MrAnony1(m): 5:11am On Jun 07, 2015
UyiIredia:
I made the same arguments on another site and couldn't convince atheists there. Maybe I'll have better luck here . . . OR NOT !

1) The existence of the universe demands an explanation. The order of the physical universe which ensures it adheres to laws which can be inferred suggests an intelligence behind the universe.

2) The genetic code in living organisms precludes the possibility they arose naturally. Natural processes CAN'T give rise to codes which don't follow natural laws. As humans, we know that codes are always made by conscious effort so the presence of codes in living things is grounds to infer that God exists.

3) Consciousness in man is not explainable by materialistic means. Emergence can't explain consciousness since typically it deals with new physical properties that arise due to complex interactions. But the consciousness isn't physical and so can't be explained by purely material means moreso since physical things lack consciousness. This is good grounds to believe that a God that effects consciousness exists.

Dear Uyi,

The fact of God is as obvious as reality itself. Interestingly what I have never heard are reason's to doubt God's existence. It is wearisome to argue with people who have no reasons for their positions but would rather argue for the sake of arguing and not for the sake of arriving at truth.

4 Likes

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 6:41am On Jun 07, 2015
MrAnony1:

Dear Uyi,

The fact of God is as obvious as reality itself. Interestingly what I have never heard are reason's to doubt God's existence. It is wearisome to argue with people who have no reasons for their positions but would rather argue for the sake of arguing and not for the sake of arriving at truth.
Reasons to doubt god's existence?
1. Never been seen with a naked eye.
2. Never been heard from.
3. Never been seen in a microscope nor a telescope.
4. Never observed or measured any gravitational perturbations in any planetary body that can be attributable to a supernatural entity.

Are the above not enough to doubt god's existence, and then ask for proof.

Even if god was a theory, it would still need to have Predictable attributes that 250,000 years of human life would have easily acknowledged.

The fact that we debating it with you in this post-enlightenment eba is proof that he doesn't exist.

You are on record here as stating that you believe in God, Jesus and the bible by faith.
You are a man of faith. Are you not?
Since when did faith require proof?
Why does faith always need to revalidate itself?

The universe outside your faith infused mind operates by the laws of physics, mathematical relationships,.. not faith.

6 Likes

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by MrAnony1(m): 7:02am On Jun 07, 2015
plaetton:

Reasons to doubt god's existence?

1. Never been seen with a naked eye.
Are all things that exist seen?

2. Never been heard from.
Are all things that exist heard from?

3. Never been seen in a microscope nor a telescope.
Are all things that exist seen in a microscope?

4. Never observed or measured any gravitational perturbations in any planetary body that can be attributable to a supernatural entity.
Do all things that exist give off gravitational perturbations in planets?

If your answer is yes to all of the above then I will provide you with things that don't meet your criteria which you must deny their existence

If your answer on the other hand is no for any of them, then you haven't provided me with sufficient reason to deny God's existence.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 12:53pm On Jun 07, 2015
Lol.
Here you come again.

The issue here, Anony1, in case you have quickly forgotten, is Doubting gods existence, not proving it.
All my four points, added together, provide great DOUBTS about the existence of what is supposed to have been a self-evident, omnipresent, omnipotent and all- pervasive entity that affects every single entity and activity in the universe.
Do you understand that point?

We don't debate the existence of gravity, x-rays and gamma rays even though we cant see, hear, and neither see them in microscopes nor telescopes . Do we?
I wonder why.

We can debate whether quarks, tachions, anti-matter, dark-matter, glueons and higgs-boson particles really exists or are just theoretical extrapolations. We can use all sorts of instrumentations to search and test for these, and even if dont capture or isolate these evasive enigmatic subatomic particles, we can see and measure their footprints, trails, or residues.
Can the same be said of god.?

The existence of god does not even qualify as a theory, because it cannot ever tested.
It is simply a creation from the lymbic system, the most primitive part of the brain. Ironically, it is also where fear and all other primitive instincts reside.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Kay17: 6:35pm On Jun 07, 2015
MrAnony1, HOW DO YOU FIND A METAPHYSICAL BEING?!
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by MrAnony1(m): 5:05am On Jun 08, 2015
plaetton:
Lol.
Here you come again.

The issue here, Anony1, in case you have quickly forgotten, is Doubting gods existence, not proving it.
This statement doesn't make any sense at all. Unless the reason you doubt God's existence is NOT because you can't find proof acceptable to you. If not, then they are the exactly the same issue.

All my four points, added together, provide great DOUBTS about the existence of what is supposed to have been a self-evident, omnipresent, omnipotent and all- pervasive entity that affects every single entity and activity in the universe.
Do you understand that point?
I do. Do you?

We don't debate the existence of gravity, x-rays and gamma rays even though we cant see, hear, and neither see them in microscopes nor telescopes . Do we?
I wonder why.

I see, so the same things that provide "great doubts" for you when it comes to the existence of God now suddenly don't provide any doubts at all for the existence of gamma rays, x-rays, gravity e.t.c. I wonder why.

We can debate whether quarks, tachions, anti-matter, dark-matter, glueons and higgs-boson particles really exists or are just theoretical extrapolations. We can use all sorts of instrumentations to search and test for these, and even if dont capture or isolate these evasive enigmatic subatomic particles, we can see and measure their footprints, trails, or residues.
Can the same be said of god.?
Yes the same can be said for God. And these "footprints" have been pointed out by Uyi in the OP. So why do you still doubt?

So far, you haven't given me any reason to doubt God. It seems to me that judging from all the other things you believe in without doubt, you don't have any reason to doubt God either but are merely suppressing your belief in God.

4 Likes

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by MrAnony1(m): 5:06am On Jun 08, 2015
Kay17:
MrAnony1, HOW DO YOU FIND A METAPHYSICAL BEING?!
I don't understand your question. The very nature of being is metaphysical. What exactly are you asking me?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 10:28am On Jun 08, 2015
Plaetton - - - - I say this very carefully, and please listen to it very carefully. I do not mean to insult you, so please take no insult.
What an old man sees sitting down, a young man cannot see standing on top of a tree.

Anony is younger than you - much younger actually - and the words he has spoken above deal such a devastating blow to your perception of anything, and show up your mind to be incredibly little and ungrown. Even unschooled.

However as I said, I do not mean to insult you, so I will not go any further.
I just hope that one day, in your old age, you will come back to see the wisdom in the few words this young man has said above.

And I know that you will kick yourself for it.
But it will take time.

Just calm down.

One day soon, you will get it.
It's simple.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 10:31am On Jun 08, 2015
MrAnony1:

Dear Uyi,

My dear brother. You have no idea how delighted I am to see you here again. How have you been?
You are truly wise beyond your years, you are a lesson to much older men, you are a beauty of God, and a truly special mind.

2 Likes

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 10:40am On Jun 08, 2015
MrAnony1:

I don't understand your question. The very nature of being is metaphysical. What exactly are you asking me?

GBAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Kay17: 12:04pm On Jun 08, 2015
MrAnony1:

Reality beyond our experience and our capability.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 1:05pm On Jun 08, 2015
DeepSight:

GBAM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Baloney.
Why not Say that the nature of being is magic?
Why not say god is magic, the universe is magic?
Case closed.

Magical thinkers.
Mschew!
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 1:31pm On Jun 08, 2015
DeepSight:

Plaetton - - - - I say this very carefully, and please listen to it very carefully. I do not mean to insult you, so please take no insult.
What an old man sees sitting down, a young man cannot see standing on top of a tree.

Anony is younger than you - much younger actually - and the words he has spoken above deal such a devastating blow to your perception of anything, and show up your mind to be incredibly little and ungrown. Even unschooled.

I just hope that one day, in your old age, you will come back to see the wisdom in the few words this young man has said above.

But it will take time.

Just calm down.

It's simple.

BS.
You made no point here, except, of course, insult. Yes, that was the only intention here. But don't worry, you will get your spanking when due.
After reading this post, I expected to see a bomshell from Anony1, but quite dissapointed that it was the same circular illogical arguments that we are used to seeing. Asking atheists to prove the non existence of god.
Big laugh.

However sir, you seem to have fallen. You hardly make any coherent arguments these days. Your intellect seem to have been overtaken by the word, the CREATING WORD, your own words.
undecided
The Word has gotten the better of you.
The Word has become your Frankenstein.
The Word of Deepsight has become vacuous, full of nothing but empty platitudes.

And yes, I look forward to gradually evolving to a wiser old age.
Funny. The problem with folks like you who have it figured out is that you spend the rest of your life in fear, fighting an unending silent battle with nagging doubts.

Facts are stubborn things. Scientific Facts will always gnaw away, bit by bit, at your sacred beliefs.

3 Likes

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by malvisguy212: 2:31pm On Jun 08, 2015
DeepSight:

But it will take time.

Just calm down.

It's simple.
True talk bro.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 6:15pm On Jun 08, 2015
MrAnony1:

Dear Uyi,

The fact of God is as obvious as reality itself.
BOO HOO.

You contradict yourself sir.
You are on record on this very forum, as stating that it believing in God and in the bible is a matter of faith, and that this is what you have :Faith.

Kindly Google the definition of faith.

When faith interfaces with reality, the consequences have often been dissasterous.

That is why we are having this argument.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 6:22pm On Jun 08, 2015
MrAnony1:

This statement doesn't make any sense at all. Unless the reason you doubt God's existence is NOT because you can't find proof acceptable to you. If not, then they are the exactly the same issue.

I do. Do you?

I see, so the same things that provide "great doubts" for you when it comes to the existence of God now suddenly don't provide any doubts at all for the existence of gamma rays, x-rays, gravity e.t.c. I wonder why.

Yes the same can be said for God. And these "footprints" have been pointed out by Uyi in the OP. So why do you still doubt?

So far, you haven't given me any reason to doubt God. It seems to me that judging from all the other things you believe in without doubt, you don't have any reason to doubt God either but are merely suppressing your belief in God.

Anony1, Deepsight.
Circular arguments make me dizzy.

Lets try something different.

Anony1, you used the word God at least 6 times in your post above.
Now, pls kindly substitute the word God with the word Toothfairy, and lets see how similar, different, Truer, wiser or otherwise your most brilliant post appears to Deepsight.
Pls try it.

You get my gist?
Thank you .
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by KingEbukasBlog(m): 6:29pm On Jun 08, 2015
The day plaetton died ....

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 6:56pm On Jun 08, 2015
DeepSight:

My dear brother. You have no idea how delighted I am to see you here again. How have you been?
You are truly wise beyond your years, you are a lesson to much older men, you are a beauty of God, and a truly special mind.

Uyi,
Disregard this flattery.
He could only be mocking you.

The best teachers that touch our lives are not the ones that praise us, but are the ones that discipline and Correct us.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 7:04pm On Jun 08, 2015
UyiIredia:

No elaborations. I'm arguing for God as generally understood: the Creator of all reality.

So you believe that consciousness can survive death. I don't know any atheist that holds that belief. Are you an atheist ?

I don't listen to quantum physics mumbo-jumbo. The universe is no illusion. It's real and exists whether or not we know it when we're unconscious.

Your arguments here have failed to show that this is true.

Within this post lies a most profound fact that I ignored the first time I read.
This self evident fact exposes sooo much, contradicts and mocks every word and posts of the op as well as shaming the unthinking few who are cheerleading him to intellectual perdition.

In my usual generousity, I will allow the op to reread this post, and decide if he would like to erase everything written on this thread.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 7:51pm On Jun 08, 2015
plaetton:

Within this post lies a most profound fact that I ignored the first time I read.
This self evident fact exposes sooo much, contradicts and mocks every word and posts of the op as well as shaming the unthinking few who are cheerleading him to intellectual perdition.

In my usually generousity, I will allow the op to reread this post, and decide if he would like to erase everything written on this thread.

Point it out.
I challenge you to do so.

Lets see who is talking nonsense.
Go ahead.

No hiding, no ducking, no running.
Just point it out.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 8:47pm On Jun 08, 2015
DeepSight:

Point it out.
I challenge you to do so.

Lets see who is talking nonsense.
Go ahead.

No hiding, no ducking, no running.
Just point it out.

Lol.
Not yet.
Let me give you all a little more time to use your intellect.
Spot the BOO BOO.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 9:36pm On Jun 08, 2015
plaetton:

Lol.
Not yet.
Let me give you all a little more time to use your intellect.
Spot the BOO BOO.

This is stark n.aked cowardice.
Shameful and unmanly.

It really shows you up for the little man you are.
I am not afraid.

Stop being so lily livered.

Man up.
My challenge stands.

Point it out.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 9:45pm On Jun 08, 2015
DeepSight:

It really shows you up for the little man you are.

undecided undecided undecided

Them are Fighting words, wordy sire.

Is that the best we can do today?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 9:51pm On Jun 08, 2015
plaetton:

undecided undecided undecided

Them are Fighting words, wordy sire.

Is that the best we can do today?

Look i am tired of this shameful cowardice, this disgusting ducking and hiding.

Point it out, or just leave it.
Goodnight.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 10:19pm On Jun 08, 2015
DeepSight:

Look i am tired of this shameful cowardice, this disgusting ducking and hiding.

Point it out, or just leave it.
Goodnight.

Lol.
Who is this?
The Master of the Creating Word, or a bottle of Whiskey? shocked

Mock Mock ! anybody home?

Will the real Deoardo pls come out.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 10:56pm On Jun 08, 2015
plaetton:

Lol.
Who is this?
The Master of the Creating Word, or a bottle of Whiskey? shocked

Mock Mock ! anybody home?

Will the real Deoardo pls come out.

What a coward.
All talk and no substance.

I see you are not up to the challenge.
The simple challenge of mentioning a contradiction that you claim you saw.

I suspected so.

Listen, i am a man, and i am not afraid to tell you that i have balls. I have confidence, and i have audacity.

You clearly dont.

Enjoy.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 5:03am On Jun 09, 2015
Something is truly missing here. It seems that people here know themselves and personal beefs are getting in the way of an interesting discussion.

As for me, I believe in God. Why? Because looking at the universe, it had to come from somewhere or something.

The atheist might believe that the universe is eternal but I believe that God is eternal.

See? My points were easily stated without calling someone a "coward" or indirectly referring to the person as an "intellectual midget"
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by MrAnony1(m): 5:11am On Jun 09, 2015
Kay17:

Reality beyond our experience and our capability.
That is not what metaphysical means. So again and for the last time, what question exactly are you asking me?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by MrAnony1(m): 5:23am On Jun 09, 2015
plaetton:

Anony1, Deepsight.
Circular arguments make me dizzy.
Lets try something different.
Anony1, you used the word God at least 6 times in your post above.
Now, pls kindly substitute the word God with the word Toothfairy, and lets see how similar, different, Truer, wiser or otherwise your most brilliant post appears to Deepsight.
Pls try it.
You get my gist?
Thank you .
Well, God and the toothfairy are not at all in the same category. To suggest such a substitution demonstrates that you lack any understanding of God as a concept at the very least.

plaetton:

BOO HOO.

You contradict yourself sir.
You are on record on this very forum, as stating that it believing in God and in the bible is a matter of faith, and that this is what you have :Faith.

Kindly Google the definition of faith.

When faith interfaces with reality, the consequences have often been dissasterous.

That is why we are having this argument.
Well you are wrong. The fact that I have faith in the ability of the chair I am sitting on to carry me does not make the chair or it's ability to carry me any less real.

It seems to me that in addition to your demonstrated lack of understanding of God, you equally demonstrate a lack an understanding of what faith means.

Anyway, the reason I engaged with you in the first place was because I had hoped you would give me reasons for your position as Uyi gave reasons for his. You failed to do this and hence our brief exchange comes to an end.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (48) (Reply)

Pastor Anita Oyakhilome Absent From Sharon's Wedding? (Photos) / Did you know that Pull Out Game Is Sinful? / Ada Jesus Suffers Stroke, Brought To Odumeje & Rita Edochie, They Rejected Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.