Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,050 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:52 AM

Three Arguments For God's Existence - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Three Arguments For God's Existence (99662 Views)

What Christians Say When They Are Losing Arguments (For Atheists) / How Did Demons Come Into Existence? Who Created Them? / 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (48) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 5:29am On Jun 09, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:
Something is truly missing here. It seems that people here know themselves and personal beefs are getting in the way of an interesting discussion.

As for me, I believe in God. Why? Because looking at the universe, it had to come from somewhere or something.

The atheist might believe that the universe is eternal but I believe that God is eternal.

See? My points were easily stated without calling someone a "coward" or indirectly referring to the person as an "intellectual midget"

Go back and read properly my friend.
See where the gentleman made the very unseemly (and presumptuous) boast about giving others "time to use their intellect."

When called out to be bold enough to point out the contradiction he claimed, the gentleman withdraws.
I am sorry, but that is cowardly.

Especially after an empty boast at people of faith.

I hope you understand me, but if you don't there is nothing I can do about that.
Good morning.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by MrAnony1(m): 5:29am On Jun 09, 2015
DeepSight:

My dear brother. You have no idea how delighted I am to see you here again. How have you been?
You are truly wise beyond your years, you are a lesson to much older men, you are a beauty of God, and a truly special mind.

Brother, you flatter me. How have you been? I've been back in Nigeria for sometime now, perhaps we could meet up at some point. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I think I've still got your number.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 5:31am On Jun 09, 2015
MrAnony1:

Brother, you flatter me. How have you been? I've been back in Nigeria for sometime now, perhaps we could meet up at some point. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I think I've still got your number.

Hit me up straight away.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 5:31am On Jun 09, 2015
DeepSight:

Go back and read properly my friend.
See where the gentleman made the very unseemly (and presumptuous) boast about giving others "time to use their intellect."

When called out to be bold enough to point out the contradiction he claimed, the gentleman withdraws.
I am sorry, but that is cowardly.

Especially after an empty boast at people of faith.

I hope you understand me, but if you don't there is nothing I can do about that.
Good morning.

Interesting.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Kay17: 9:00am On Jun 09, 2015
MrAnony1:

That is not what metaphysical means. So again and for the last time, what question exactly are you asking me?

Metaphysics deals with the nature of reality and form etc. In the case of the divine, it is said to be of an alternate reality. Hence by metaphysics, I didn't mean our reality but the ultimate reality.

My question, is how do you find this ultimate reality obvious when you do not have the senses nor the experience to capture it?

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by ihedinobi2: 9:37am On Jun 09, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:
Something is truly missing here. It seems that people here know themselves and personal beefs are getting in the way of an interesting discussion.

As for me, I believe in God. Why? Because looking at the universe, it had to come from somewhere or something.

The atheist might believe that the universe is eternal but I believe that God is eternal.

See? My points were easily stated without calling someone a "coward" or indirectly referring to the person as an "intellectual midget"

Oh, don't worry. The novelty will wear off and you'll get used to all this. It's been this way since before I entered the fray in 2012. That's why you see me like a "shooting star". I don't always have the energy these days (and I sometimes wish I do - like now that my twin's back in the fight for, well, as long as we see him this time, lol) for the in-depth rigmarole that's really a thousand repetitions of the very same statements.

As for your argument, per Uyi's definition in the op, you simply said that the atheists think the universe is God.

It's actually an argument I've made before. I essentially said in that argument that all of us believe that all reality either has a source or is a source. Thus we all believe in God. We just disagree on what his or its identity is. The atheists twisted and turned on that thread in so many contortions that even then I knew I had no hope of remembering the curious things they were saying then.

Oh, and, btw, there are no real beefs here. It's all part of the fun. Everyone is someone else's idiót here or favorite person depending on the argument and time of day. smiley

Er, officially, welcome to the, erm, club, I guess. grin

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:42am On Jun 09, 2015
ihedinobi2:

Oh, don't worry. The novelty will wear off and you'll get used to all this. It's been this way since before I entered the fray in 2012. That's why you see me like a "shooting star". I don't always have the energy these days (and I sometimes wish I do - like now that my twin's back in the fight for, well, as long as we see him this time, lol) for the in-depth rigmarole that's really a thousand repetitions of the very same statements.

As for your argument, per Uyi's definition in the op, you simply said that the atheists think the universe is God.

It's actually an argument I've made before. I essentially said in that argument that all of us believe that all reality either has a source or is a source. Thus we all believe in God. We just disagree on what his or its identity is. The atheists twisted and turned on that thread in so many contortions that even then I knew I had no hope of remembering the curious things they were saying then.

Oh, and, btw, there are no real beefs here. It's all part of the fun. Everyone is someone else's idiót here or favorite person depending on the argument and time of day. smiley

Er, officially, welcome to the, erm, club, I guess. grin

You guys are funny! So this has been going on for some time?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by ihedinobi2: 10:02am On Jun 09, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

You guys are funny! So this has been going on for some time?

Lol. It would be pretty condescending to go, "what, are you kidding? Did you think all this started just when you decided to walk in?" grin There's that temptation, of course. All oldbies have to deal with it when a newbie shows up...generally one with an attitude too, lol.

When I told you I was like you once, I really was not trying to insult you or be condescending. When I started here I was really like that. Didn't know I walked in on a generational feud that's been going so long most every strike and counter-strike is automatic. If you came back here after a year or two of total absence, you'd meet the very same arguments by almost exactly the same people. It's fun, never forget that, a testosterone battle some of the time. Those who take it seriously weary of it soon enough. Others enjoy chasing their tail because it's really a cool pastime. And I'm not kidding. If you peer at the soul of the universe hard enough, you'll get hooked like that and life just won't look the same to you anymore.

So, yeah, this has been going on for a while. It's always going on. The players change sometimes, the arguments don't really. Sometimes, the arguments wear different words and emotions but.in the end, it's really the same things said over and over by the same people. The good thing about it is that it keeps one important question on the front burner for all human minds: "Who is God?" smiley

You see, the answer to that totally defines everything about us.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 1:20pm On Jun 09, 2015
ihedinobi2:

Lol. It would be pretty condescending to go, "what, are you kidding? Did you think all this started just when you decided to walk in?" grin There's that temptation, of course. All oldbies have to deal with it when a newbie shows up...generally one with an attitude too, lol.

When I told you I was like you once, I really was not trying to insult you or be condescending. When I started here I was really like that. Didn't know I walked in on a generational feud that's been going so long most every strike and counter-strike is automatic. If you came back here after a year or two of total absence, you'd meet the very same arguments by almost exactly the same people. It's fun, never forget that, a testosterone battle some of the time. Those who take it seriously weary of it soon enough. Others enjoy chasing their tail because it's really a cool pastime. And I'm not kidding. If you peer at the soul of the universe hard enough, you'll get hooked like that and life just won't look the same to you anymore.

So, yeah, this has been going on for a while. It's always going on. The players change sometimes, the arguments don't really. Sometimes, the arguments wear different words and emotions but.in the end, it's really the same things said over and over by the same people. The good thing about it is that it keeps one important question on the front burner for all human minds: "Who is God?" smiley

You see, the answer to that totally defines everything about us.

Ten thumbs up. . . . .
But Plaetton is still a coward, lol. A comical one at that.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Kay17: 1:40pm On Jun 09, 2015
What does cowardice have to do with esoteric religious beliefs?! The insults are unnecessary. If you can not stand your ground then leave the thread.

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by cyrexx: 1:51pm On Jun 09, 2015
Hmmmm. Interesting.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 3:14pm On Jun 09, 2015
MrAnony1:

Well, God and the toothfairy are not at all in the same category. To suggest such a substitution demonstrates that you lack any understanding of God as a concept at the very least.

Well you are wrong. The fact that I have faith in the ability of the chair I am sitting on to carry me does not make the chair or it's ability to carry me any less real.

It seems to me that in addition to your demonstrated lack of understanding of God, you equally demonstrate a lack an understanding of what faith means.

Anyway, the reason I engaged with you in the first place was because I had hoped you would give me reasons for your position as Uyi gave reasons for his. You failed to do this and hence our brief exchange comes to an end.

Just look at you and your arrogance, stating arrogantly that god and the toothfairy are not in same category.
Says who?
Can you please give us 4 differences between God and the toothfairy.

This is very interesting.
So You can actually say that with a straight face while continuing to make your arguments for god.?
Truly amazing.

Maybe you are right, sir, I may never understand faith, your faith.
I may never understand cognitive dissonance in its totality.

2 Likes

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 3:26pm On Jun 09, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Interesting.

Don't mind this fella.
He is a mental liliputian polluting the landscape with his stale wordsalads.
By beef with him here is that he is sponsoring, promoting and cheerleading intellectual mediocrity on this thread.
He is leading young people with good potentials to perdition with his intellectual sculduddery.

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 3:59pm On Jun 09, 2015
plaetton:

Don't mind this fella.
He is a mental liliputian polluting the landscape with his stale wordsalads.
By beef with him here is that he is sponsoring, promoting and cheerleading intellectual mediocrity on this thread.
He is leading young people with good potentials to perdition with his intellectual sculduddery.

My, my! What big words you have there. Yet, you accuse people of "wordsalads".

What do you find mediocre? A belief in God?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Ranchhoddas: 4:32pm On Jun 09, 2015
cyrexx:
Hmmmm. Interesting.
I remember this moniker.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 4:47pm On Jun 09, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

What do you find mediocre? A belief in God?
No.
If one believes in god by faith, then there isn't much to argue about.
Having faith, a religious faith, means having a belief that is not based on rationally graspable set of facts.
It puzzles me why anyone would always Attempt to use faith to argue against and deny known facts, against scientific propositions.

The op has made some astonishingly ignorant and dumb statements on this thread, but rather than Correct him pubkicly or privately, they are egging him on, thereby promoting complex ignorance and intellectual mediocrity.

I will elaborate in great length on this later on when I have time.

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by ihedinobi2: 5:08pm On Jun 09, 2015
DeepSight:

Ten thumbs up. . . . . But Plaetton is still a coward, lol. A comical one at that.
Thanks, Deep Sight. smiley
Plaetton does enjoy his run-around's.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by ihedinobi2: 5:09pm On Jun 09, 2015
cyrexx:
Hmmmm. Interesting.
Cyrexx! Great to see you, bro. How have you been? smiley
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 5:20pm On Jun 09, 2015
plaetton:

No.
If one believes in god by faith, then there isn't much to argue about.
Having faith, a religious faith, means having a belief that is not based on rationally graspable set of facts.
It puzzles me why anyone would always Attempt to use faith to argue against and deny known facts, against scientific propositions.

The op has made some astonishingly ignorant and dumb statements on this thread, but rather than Correct him pubkicly or privately, they are egging him on, thereby promoting complex ignorance and intellectual mediocrity.

I will elaborate in great length on this later on when I have time.

I understand you. Yes, some christians twist things to make christianity more "scientific".

However, belief in God is also logical.

Life comes from life. That much we know. That original life is God.

Now, you would ask "who gave God life".

The answer is simple. God is eternal. If we are to believe that existence in the future will be eternal (there will always be something, even a remnant of the universe in the future), we should also believe that there is an eternal being.

This is what I believe
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 5:30pm On Jun 09, 2015
ihedinobi2:

Thanks, Deep Sight. smiley

Plaetton does enjoy his run-around's.
You shouldn't have accepted that endorsement.
He is teacher who doesn't care whether you pass or fail your jamb.
I do care. That's why I am hard on you and your friends,.to make you task your intellects the more.
One day in the distant future, you will remember and Thank that harsh teacher who pushed you to hard.
grin
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 5:33pm On Jun 09, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

I understand you. Yes, some christians twist things to make christianity more "scientific".

However, belief in God is also logical.

Life comes from life. That much we know. That original life is God.

Now, you would ask "who gave God life".

The answer is simple. God is eternal. If we are to believe that existence in the future will be eternal (there will always be something, even a remnant of the universe in the future), we should also believe that there is an eternal being.

This is what I believe

Your last statement says it all.
This is what you believe, and that normal and quite OK.
But, and it's a big But, believing something doesn't make it true.
Once you are honest about that, then we are all Fine.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by ihedinobi2: 5:57pm On Jun 09, 2015
plaetton:

You shouldn't have accepted that endorsement.
He is teacher who doesn't care whether you pass or fail your jamb.
I do care. That's why I am hard on you and your friends,.to make you task your intellects the more.
One day in the distant future, you will remember and Thank that harsh teacher who pushed you to hard.
grin

Lol. No doubt.

I'm not sure what hard questions you have asked though that have pushed my intellect that hard.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by ihedinobi2: 6:00pm On Jun 09, 2015
plaetton:

Agreed. In the same vein, disbelieving something does not make it untrue. Once you are honest about that, then we are all fine.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 6:05pm On Jun 09, 2015
ihedinobi2:

Lol. No doubt.

I'm not sure what hard questions you have asked though that have pushed my intellect that hard.

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Honestly!

Human beings!

Hard questions indeed! Hard teacher indeed!
A man who cannot state what he claims is a contradiction. Some real hard teacher.

A man riveted with stark and glaring fear.
Some hard teacher indeed!

Well, the whole thread is there for anyone to read. . . . .
I just can't stop shaking my head at the pedantic emptiness of that which he imagines is "hard teaching" . . . . God and the Tooth Fairy, lol.

What an unschooled little boy.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 6:08pm On Jun 09, 2015
Kay17:
What does cowardice have to do with esoteric religious beliefs?! The insults are unnecessary. If you can not stand your ground then leave the thread.

My friend, if you read the thread, you will see the dumbfounding cowardice (and hypocrisy) yourself.
And you will also see that it is no insult for me to call a spade a spade in stating the man to be a staggering little coward in this instance.
For that is plain and simply exactly what he is in this instance and I make no apologies for saying so.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:08pm On Jun 09, 2015
DeepSight:

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Honestly!

Human beings!

Hard questions indeed! Hard teacher indeed!
A man who cannot state what he claims is a contradiction. Some real hard teacher.

A man riveted with stark and glaring fear.
Some hard teacher indeed!

Well, the whole thread is there for anyone to read. . . . .
I just can't stop shaking my head at the pedantic emptiness of that which he imagines is "hard teaching" . . . . God and the Tooth Fairy, lol.

What an unschooled little boy.

undecided undecided

That's not necessary.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:10pm On Jun 09, 2015
plaetton:

Disbelieving something doesnt make it false either.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 6:17pm On Jun 09, 2015
plaetton:

Within this post lies a most profound fact that I ignored the first time I read.
This self evident fact exposes sooo much, contradicts and mocks every word and posts of the op as well as shaming the unthinking few who are cheerleading him to intellectual perdition.

In my usual generousity, I will allow the op to reread this post, and decide if he would like to erase everything written on this thread.

That in red above is exactly what our gentleman has developed cold feet about pointing out - preferring instead to make many divergent and irrelevant posts to distract attention from the question.

My challenge to him stands.
Whenever he is ready, we will surely see who exactly is speaking out of the ill lit aperture between his legs.

I doubt though, that he will ever have the nerve to address me on this.
Scaredy catty. . . . cool
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 6:20pm On Jun 09, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

undecided undecided

That's not necessary.

It the truth though.
It is the height of unschooled pedantic nonsense to have a philosophical discussion around comparing the essential conceptualization of that which is referred to as God - with the tooth fairy.

I will go further - that is plain st.upid. Infantile even.

The person has no education or brains and I will not countenance such a d.olt strutting about and attempting to tell others that they lack what he so evidently lacks - grey matter.

Nope, I will not stand for it.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 6:44pm On Jun 09, 2015
DeepSight:

That in red above is exactly what our gentleman has developed cold feet about pointing out - preferring instead to make many divergent and irrelevant posts to distract attention from the question.

My challenge to him stands.
Whenever he is ready, we will surely see who exactly is speaking out of the ill lit aperture between his legs.

I doubt though, that he will ever have the nerve to address me on this.
Scaredy catty. . . . cool
Oh please,
prof D. S Olodo.
Do you really think that I would run away from my statements?
I am actually enjoying watching you pant in fearful anticipation.
Lol.
I it requires a lot of writing, cutting and pasting, which is best done on pc, not while on the road. I was too tired last night to do it after drinking palm wine.

So, wait longer, and let fear gnaw at you A little longer.
Lol.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 6:53pm On Jun 09, 2015
DeepSight:

It the truth though.
It is the height of unschooled pedantic nonsense to have a philosophical discussion around comparing the essential conceptualization of that which is referred to as God - with the tooth fairy.

I will go further - that is plain st.upid. Infantile even.

The person has no education or brains and I will not countenance such a d.olt strutting about and attempting to tell others that they lack what he so evidently lacks - grey matter.

Nope, I will not stand for it.

Think about this wordsalad from the world famous wordsalad mill :

.. Essential conceptualization of that which is referred to as God "

And we are still having this argument?
Simply amazing.

And how about this for a word salad?

".. The Essential conceptualization of that which is referred to as the toothfairy. "

Now, compare and contrast.
That is your homework for tonight.

Now run along.
wink
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by johnydon22(m): 8:57pm On Jun 09, 2015
this deepsight is not even arguing or mustering any meaningful defence for the op, just attacking plaetton and trying to maneuver other people to his side.

This thread is seriously ruined, the guy steered the thread off from what it should be and pushed it into a word exchange back to back combat..

Its just a sandwich of ad hominems and unrelated words to the op. deepsight i think if you need an argument with plaetton (seems that you don't tho, just want to banter words) Just open a thread on the topic and invite him, we would all be delighted to seat and watch and sure enough call out anytime any of you tries using personal words.

from what i see here, its not an argument just some letting off irked feelings...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (48) (Reply)

2014 Prophecies By Pastor Adeboye (RCCG) / Pastor Anita Oyakhilome Absent From Sharon's Wedding? (Photos) / Did you know that Pull Out Game Is Sinful?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.