Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,320 members, 7,815,613 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:17 PM

Three Arguments For God's Existence - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Three Arguments For God's Existence (99797 Views)

What Christians Say When They Are Losing Arguments (For Atheists) / How Did Demons Come Into Existence? Who Created Them? / 20 Arguments For The Existence Of GOD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (48) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Kay17: 8:58pm On Jun 09, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

I understand you. Yes, some christians twist things to make christianity more "scientific".

However, belief in God is also logical.

Life comes from life. That much we know. That original life is God.

Now, you would ask "who gave God life".

The answer is simple. God is eternal. If we are to believe that existence in the future will be eternal (there will always be something, even a remnant of the universe in the future), we should also believe that there is an eternal being.

This is what I believe

Can you substantiate "God is eternal", because I can easily say the multiverse or the Universe is eternal.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 9:06pm On Jun 09, 2015
johnydon22:
this deepsight is not even arguing or mustering any meaningful defence for the op, just attacking plaetton and trying to maneuver other people to his side.

This thread is seriously ruined, the guy steered the thread off from what it should be and pushed it into a word exchange back to back combat..

Its just a sandwich of ad hominems and unrelated words to the op. deepsight i think if you need an argument with plaetton (seems that you don't tho, just want to banter words) Just open a thread on the topic and invite him, we would all be delighted to seat and watch and sure enough call out anytime any of you tries using personal words.

from what i see here, its not an argument just some letting off irked feelings...
On the contrary dear friend, Deepsight (more like Deep Sigh) And I are buddies.

However, I cannot allow him stray too far into an alternate universe, which he does from time to time.

From time to time I need to whack him on the head with the rod of finely measured reason.
For me, it's like a Game of Whack-A-MOLE.

You know what they say, " spare the rod and spoil the child".
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 9:21pm On Jun 09, 2015
^^^ Lol. Meaningless.
I give up.

When you are ready to man up, i will address you.
Until then.

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 9:32pm On Jun 09, 2015
johnydon22:
this deepsight is not even arguing or mustering any meaningful defence for the op, just attacking plaetton and trying to maneuver other people to his side.

This thread is seriously ruined, the guy steered the thread off from what it should be and pushed it into a word exchange back to back combat..

Its just a sandwich of ad hominems and unrelated words to the op. deepsight i think if you need an argument with plaetton (seems that you don't tho, just want to banter words) Just open a thread on the topic and invite him, we would all be delighted to seat and watch and sure enough call out anytime any of you tries using personal words.

from what i see here, its not an argument just some letting off irked feelings...

You are funny. I doubt you have read the whole of this thread.

You really expect me to go off and open a thread specially only to have this fellow shadow box and refuse to say anything whatsoever all over again?

Just to watch him make repeated vacuous boasts about how he is a hard teacher and forcing people to use their intellects - when the truth is that he has nothing to say?

This man knows that if he opens his mouth, he will simply embarrass himself. I shit you not when i say he is scared. Just watch and see.

Open a thread.....Only to have him make cheap excuses while all the time running away.?

You are funny. Really funny.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by ihedinobi2: 9:36pm On Jun 09, 2015
DeepSight:

undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

Honestly!

Human beings!

Hard questions indeed! Hard teacher indeed!
A man who cannot state what he claims is a contradiction. Some real hard teacher.

A man riveted with stark and glaring fear.
Some hard teacher indeed!

Well, the whole thread is there for anyone to read. . . . .
I just can't stop shaking my head at the pedantic emptiness of that which he imagines is "hard teaching" . . . . God and the Tooth Fairy, lol.

What an unschooled little boy.

Kai, Oga DeepSight, sofri abeg. grin grin
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by MrAnony1(m): 5:51am On Jun 10, 2015
Kay17:

Metaphysics deals with the nature of reality and form etc. In the case of the divine, it is said to be of an alternate reality. Hence by metaphysics, I didn't mean our reality but the ultimate reality.

My question, is how do you find this ultimate reality obvious when you do not have the senses nor the experience to capture it?

1. Your reality (if it is indeed real) is part of the ultimate reality and not something other than it.

2. You are confusing ultimate reality with alternate reality, they don't mean the same thing.

3. Alternate realities like your dream reality and computer generated virtual realities are just as perceivable as your physical reality. So what makes you think that the ultimate reality/an alternate reality is necessarily beyond perception?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by MrAnony1(m): 6:01am On Jun 10, 2015
DeepSight:

Hit me up straight away.
Check your facebook
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by MrAnony1(m): 6:01am On Jun 10, 2015
cyrexx:
Hmmmm. Interesting.
Hi Cyrexx
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 6:14am On Jun 10, 2015
Kay17:

Can you substantiate "God is eternal", because I can easily say the multiverse or the Universe is eternal.

Therein lies the difference between the atheist and the theist. You see the universe as eternal while I see God as separate from the universe and eternal.

Why is God eternal?

Think about it. The universe had to come from somewhere. Something predates it. But to avoid going into an infinite regress of predating the universe, we have to come to a point where there is something that nothing predates. That point is God.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 9:48am On Jun 10, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Therein lies the difference between the atheist and the theist. You see the universe as eternal while I see God as separate from the universe and eternal.

Why is God eternal?

Think about it. The universe had to come from somewhere. Something predates it. But to avoid going into an infinite regress of predating the universe, we have to come to a point where there is something that nothing predates. That point is God.

Thank you. Let me try to build on this a little, since the Atheists here will offer nothing sensible in return.

That above is fair enough logic which should be simple to see. However many may still have somewhat fair objections to it.

In simple terms what I prefer to say is that at all events -

~ Something exists

~ Something cannot come from nothing

~ For anything to exist therefore, something or the other always existed

~ Therefore something or the other must be self-existent

~ The choices would be between a self existent transcendent and a self existent universe

~ The universe does not have self existent properties/ In the past I have explained that self existent properties must of necessity include -

* Intangibility

* Immutability

* Eternal in the past

* Immanent properties of existence

~ The Universe is therefore not a self existent thing: indeed, by this test - no matter at all can be self existent

~ The logic thus presents us with an inescapable conclusion in favour of a self existent transcendent, intangible eternal element: which element is what God is so called.

Not the Tooth Fairy. And not Santa Claus - as some "hard teachers" helping us "push our intellects" here, would like to discuss - whilst accusing others of "Sunday School" level reasoning.

Now the 2nd premise above is something that a lot of atheists (and scientists - via quantum physics) have attempted to disprove - namely to show that indeed something may even pop out of absolute nothingness. Some have gone so far as to ascribe properties and quantities to nothingness, which is of course nonsense on a philosophical level of existentialist discourse, however they may pretend it to be otherwise in any other sense. All of these psuedo scientific attempts to rubbish the second premise above have squarely fallen flat and shown the discussants to be embarrassingly ignorant of their own sciences or even arguments.

There is nothing like nothingness anywhere in existence because nothingness refers to "no - thing" and as such cannot logically exist, much less be referred to as the source of anything beginning to exist.

The 5th and 6th premises above are also argued against but they stand firm. The 6th premise in particular is sometimes argued against in terms of the permanence of change, the multiverse theory, cyclical universes and the like. None of these may be wrong, but the persons who so discuss along that line always fail to grasp the simple reasoning behind the properties of a self existent thing which I listed following the 6th premise. I have discussed those properties at length on this forum. No self existent thing can be matter.

Anyhow, thank you for your thoughts above, and this is just to return to you a hint of where I believe the discussion should lie - - - and certainly not with tooth fairies.

IN PARTICULAR - the point on consciousness which the OP raised is a separate and most powerful point and you can then begin to slightly understand me when I say that Plaetton's kettle of grilled insects offered up as a meal in response to it is simply disgraceful and beyond disappointing.

Good morning.

2 Likes

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 1:05pm On Jun 10, 2015
DeepSight:

Thank you. Let me try to build on this a little, since the Atheists here will offer nothing sensible in return.

That above is fair enough logic which should be simple to see. However many may still have somewhat fair objections to it.

~ Something exists

~ The choices would be between a self existent transcendent and a self existent universe

~ The universe does not have self existent properties/ In the past I have explained that self existent properties must of necessity include -

* Intangibility

* Immutability

* Eternal in the past

~ The Universe is therefore not a self existent thing: indeed, by this test - no matter at all can be self existent

~ The logic thus presents us with an inescapable conclusion in favour of a self existent transcendent, intangible eternal element: which element is what God is so called.

Not the Tooth Fairy. And not Santa Claus - as some "hard teachers" helping us "push our intellects" here, would like to discuss - whilst accusing others of "Sunday School" level reasoning.

Now the 2nd premise above is something that a lot of atheists (and scientists - via quantum physics) have attempted to disprove - namely to show that indeed something may even pop out of absolute nothingness. Some have gone so far as to ascribe properties and quantities to nothingness, which is of course nonsense on a philosophical level of existentialist discourse, however they may pretend it to be otherwise in any other sense. All of these psuedo scientific attempts to rubbish the second premise above have squarely fallen flat and shown the discussants to be embarrassingly ignorant of their own sciences or even arguments.

There is nothing like nothingness anywhere in existence because nothingness refers to "no - thing" and as such cannot logically exist, much less be referred to as the source of anything beginning to exist.

The 5th and 6th premises above are also argued against but they stand firm. The 6th premise in particular is sometimes argued against in terms of the permanence of change, the multiverse theory, cyclical universes and the like. None of these may be wrong, but the persons who so discuss along that line always fail to grasp the simple reasoning behind the properties of a self existent thing which I listed following the 6th premise. I have discussed those properties at length on this forum. No self existent thing can be matter.

Anyhow, thank you for your thoughts above, and this is just to return to you a hint of where I believe the discussion should lie - - - and certainly not with tooth fairies.

IN PARTICULAR - the point on consciousness which the OP raised is a separate and most powerful point and you can then begin to slightly understand me when I say that Plaetton's kettle of grilled insects offered up as a meal in response to it is simply disgraceful and beyond disappointing.

Good morning.
@ AllNaijaBlogger
See.
There he goes again, creating his own alternate universe with mere words, his own words.

Jokes apart, this is the delusion he suffers : trying to interface his own personally created universe with the real one.
Our universe is real, with real observable mathematical characteristics. It is not mishmash of fancy words strung together by a self-confessed mad man. grin

You can see from the above how he has arrogantly dictated his own personal set of laws to govern the universe.

Dear friend,
Given the amount of knowledge we have gradually accumulated over the last 300yrs, can you see the sheer level of folly, ignorance and hubris that it takes to make bold absolute statements about what the universe is or isn't?

I have said many many times on this forum, and will repeat it again.
" It is better to start with DOUBTS and then strive to arrive at CERTAINTY, rather than starting with CERTAINTY and then having to grapple and battled with DOUBTS later.

This is the trap that Deepsight and others fall into when they strap themselves to their homemade truths and absolutes.

The idea that the universe might be self-existent is not scientifically farfetched at all.
This theory is out there in the scientific community.
The proof of concept is out there.

https://www.nairaland.com/2140751/newsflash-forget-bigbang-forget-creationism

I opened a thread on it a while ago. I didn't see Deepsight on that thread. Maybe he didn't see the thread, or that he simply ignored it because it represented a thread to his worldview, his dogma.

This tendency to ignore modern scientific ideas and findings is what betrays these folks for what they really are.

The study of natural sciences has given us sooo much over the centuries.
We should continue to depend on it to open new vistas of knowledge and opportunities to know more about our universe.
This is where I stand : That only science, the scientific system is the final arbiter, able to probe and discover, if ever there is, a supreme alpha of all existence.
And at the end, it might just be a TOOTHFAIRY.

3 Likes

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 1:21pm On Jun 10, 2015
@ Deepsight
One simple, but very powerful word to counter all that you have strung up above.

The word is "Toothfairy".

It stares you in the face.
Look back at it, think about it, meditate upon it.

It might help you come to a recognition of some sublime truths.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 1:28pm On Jun 10, 2015
plaetton:

@ AllNaijaBlogger
See.
There he goes again, creating his own alternate universe with mere words, his own words.

Jokes apart, this is the delusion he suffers : trying to interface his own personally created universe with the real one.
Our universe is real, with real observable characteristics. It is not mishmash of fancy words strung together by a self-confessed mad man. grin

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 1:30pm On Jun 10, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

grin

I am laughing with you bros.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 2:03pm On Jun 10, 2015
^^^
The funny thing about these people, Deepsight, Anony1, Uyi, kingebukasblog, Ihedinobi2, Davidylsn, etc. In fact, every single one of them, is that when the chips are down, when they hit the brick wall of reason and scientific facts, the they reach into their pockets and INVOKE the FAITH AMENDMENT.

The Faith Amendment is a sort of get-out-of-jail card that theists of all shades carry in their pockets whenever the wall of reason and facts begin to close in on them.

The Faith Amendment protects the believer from Accepting or conceding to any or all truths and facts that might incriminate his/chosen set of beliefs.
The hilarious thing here is that all the people mentioned above, have , at one or several times in the paste, reached into their pockets to invoke the Faith Amendment.

Selective Amnesia.

Selective Amnesia allows them to choose what to remember and what to forget, what is to believe by faith and what to believe by facts, which scientific ideas to accept and which to reject, what is metaphysical and what is the toothfairy.

I find it amazing and quite hilarious that one person can scoff at the Toothfairy in one instance, and then wax metaphysical in another instance.
Cognitive dissonance?
Multiple personality Syndrome?
Or just plain hubris?

6 Likes

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Kay17: 2:09pm On Jun 10, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Why is God eternal?

I do not actually think the Universe had always existed and will always be here forever. Because I cannot substantiate it and it can only be a floating assumption. But that aside.

The immediate cause of the Universe is a question of fact and can only be satisfied with empirical evidence. The infinite regress which is the cornerstone of your argument, is an example of stretching reason beyond its limits. And it can be used to achieve an absurd conclusion that the Universe or even our Solar System are eternal.

For example:

Assuming we cannot see beyond our solar system, your crowd (theists) could say the solar system requires a cause since it is not eternal, therefore due to infinite regress God is the immediate cause of the Solar System.

The use of Infinite Regress might give us a faint idea about an ultimate cause probably. Who knows. Again infinite regress undermines our assumptions on the question of Being. Is our idea of a non eternal Universe due to our empirical observations or philosophical conception of Being? If our idea of the Universe is a philosophical conception of Being, then we are suggesting that Being in itself is a temporary notion and that extends to God.

2 Likes

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Kay17: 2:17pm On Jun 10, 2015
MrAnony1:

1. Your reality (if it is indeed real) is part of the ultimate reality and not something other than it.

2. You are confusing ultimate reality with alternate reality, they don't mean the same thing.

3. Alternate realities like your dream reality and computer generated virtual realities are just as perceivable as your physical reality. So what makes you think that the ultimate reality/an alternate reality is necessarily beyond perception?

Between our reality and the ultimate reality is a chasm of illusion. We could find out at the end of the day that our reality was just an illusion. Hence the ultimate reality is still an alternate reality even though our own reality is rooted in it. Just as virtual realities despite being rooted in our reality are alternate. Do you get it?

Why is the ultimate reality necessarily beyond perception. Because our senses, empirical devices and reason cannot be justified by any other foundation other than themselves. 'How am I sure I see a stone or a building' there is just no way our senses can penetrate beyond our reality even if there is an ultimate reality.

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 2:23pm On Jun 10, 2015
Kay17:

I do not actually think the Universe had always existed and will always be here forever. Because I cannot substantiate it and it can only be a floating assumption. But that aside.

The immediate cause of the Universe is a question of fact and can only be satisfied with empirical evidence. The infinite regress which is the cornerstone of your argument, is an example of stretching reason beyond its limits. And it can be used to achieve an absurd conclusion that the Universe or even our Solar System are eternal.

For example:

Assuming we cannot see beyond our solar system, your crowd (theists) could say the solar system requires a cause since it is not eternal, therefore due to infinite regress God is the immediate cause of the Solar System.

The use of Infinite Regress might give us a faint idea about an ultimate cause probably. Who knows. Again infinite regress undermines our assumptions on the question of Being. Is our idea of a non eternal Universe due to our empirical observations or philosophical conception of Being? If our idea of the Universe is a philosophical conception of Being, then we are suggesting that Being in itself is a temporary notion and that extends to God.

It all boils down to accepting or rejecting the assumption that there is something bigger than the universe.....and that something is a being.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 2:48pm On Jun 10, 2015
And you have found yet more time to write without pointing out the contradiction you were on about - or even addressing anything said.
More's the pity.

Still on about the toothfairy, lol. If that is the height of your philosophical speculation, I wish you well. Do enjoy your illiteracy.

Ride on.
Clearly: as I repeatedly said - you simply have nothing to say.

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Kay17: 3:11pm On Jun 10, 2015
DeepSight:

~ Something exists

* Intangibility

* Immutability

* Eternal in the past

Mr Deepsight,

If you could remember that since nothing could not have brought forth the Universe, then the Universe must have come forth from this Something -- God. Doesn't that contradict the unchanging quality of God?

Also, why is the Universe of a different even contradicting character from God. Why isn't the Universe transcendental as well.

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 3:12pm On Jun 10, 2015
quote author=AllNaijaBlogger post=34625411]

It all boils down to accepting or rejecting the assumption that there is something bigger than the universe.....and that something is a being.
[/quote]

Again, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with Accepting or rejecting any assumptions. Nothing wrong with holding a worldview. After all, we are all individual and seperate worldviews.

The problem is about the superimposition of one worldview over another without a universal benchmark of testing and evaluation.

The issue is how we evolve a reliable, universal, predictable and consistent Method of evaluating and updating our worldviews.

We have evolved and do have such a system. It is the scientific Method. It has proven itself over the last few centuries.

Anything that is beyond the reach of the scientific Method, beyond mathematical proof or extrapolation can only be deemed as purely conceptual abstracts at best or just speculation at the least. This is where the idea, concept of god lies.

Its funny that both Anony1 and Deepsight have both used the words "concept and conceptual" in their descriptions of god, without even being cognizant of the implications of those words and how it contradicts their arguments and worldview.

If God is an abstract concept, then what exactly are we arguing over?

Where are abstract concepts formulated?

Your guess is as good as mine?

They are arguing against themselves without even knowing it.

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Kay17: 3:28pm On Jun 10, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

I can. Provided it is not mere abstract speculation.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 3:51pm On Jun 10, 2015
Kay17:

Mr Deepsight,

If you could remember that since nothing could not have brought forth the Universe, then the Universe must have come forth from this Something -- God. Doesn't that contradict the unchanging quality of God?

Thank you for your comments.

May I ask exactly how such a thing would contradict the unchanging quality of God?

Would such a thing for example change God's eternity, self-existence, transcendence? Not at all sir - you can see that that does not follow. Indeed it does not follow anymore than you breathing in and breathing out changes the quality or nature of your being.

In this regard, there is the idea of Yugas of the Divine - (just as an analogy to address your comment) - you can vizualize this in terms of the Hindu concept of Yugas -

Whereat, every cycle of existence may be akin to Divinity breathing outwards and thus bringing universes, epochs and times into existence - and breathing inwards, and thus collapsing the existence of the universe for a new cycle to begin.

Yuga (Devanāgari: युग) in Hindu philosophy is the name of an epoch or era within a four age cycle. According to Hindu cosmology, life in the universe is created and destroyed once every 4.1 to 8.2 billion years,[1][2] which is one full day and night for Brahma. The lifetime of Brahma himself believed to be 311 trillion and 40 billion years as per Hindu cosmology.[3] The cycles are said to repeat like the seasons, waxing and waning within a greater time-cycle of the creation and destruction of our universe. Like Summer, Spring, Winter and Autumn, each yuga involves stages or gradual changes which the earth and the consciousness of mankind goes through as a whole. A complete Yuga cycle from a high Golden Age, called the Satya Yuga to a Dark Age, Kali Yuga and back again is said to be caused by the solar system's motion around another star.[4]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuga

I write this to you by way of analogy: it should be clear therefore that the coming into being or cessation of a universe - and cycles of universes even - certainly does not mean that the being or element eternally bringing this into being (for example - the expansion of a universe from the point of a singularity) and causing same to collapse (such as the collapse of a universe) - does not change in essence by reason of so doing.

Indeed, if anything, the very fact that such a cycle is possible shows exactly that that element causing same is unchanged - if it continues to cause such.

I hope you understand the analogy set forth.

Also, why is the Universe of a different even contradicting character from God. Why isn't the Universe transcendental as well.

Let us stick with the analogy above to answer this question: it would be the same way a single breath from lungs is not of the same nature as the lungs itself. It would be the same way that single breath does not transcend either itself or the being that exudes it.

To use another analogy to help - it would be the same way Light from the Sun is not necessarily the fullness of the body of the sun itself. And in this same way, even if Light rays may move or be emitted away from the sun, this does not mean that the sun has changed in essential nature or substance. This is a mere analogy.

However, aside from the two analogies above, the simple answer to your question is that the universe is not known to be something outside of itself or beyond itself, and we thus cannot call it transcendental. The idea that something beyond the universe caused the universe informs our reference to that cause as transcendental.

Now, let me say one more thing - although for the purposes of this discussion, it might be a step to far. But I will say it nonetheless: and maybe we will take it up some other day in the future when we have allowed one another to discuss and interact up to that level. And here it is: there is no reason to say that God created this universe directly.

However please note that that is a very remote discussion for another day. It has been discussed extensively on this board, and if you are interested, I could look for the discussion for you. Be warned though, that it is a discussion among Theists.

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 3:52pm On Jun 10, 2015
plaetton:
quote author=AllNaijaBlogger post=34625411]

Again, there is nothing intrinsically wrong with Accepting or rejecting any assumptions. Nothing wrong with holding a worldview. After all, we are all individual and seperate worldviews.

The problem is about the superimposition of one worldview over another without a universal benchmark of testing and evaluation.

The issue is how we evolve a reliable, universal, predictable and consistent Method of evaluating and updating our worldviews.

We have evolved and do have such a system. It is the scientific Method. It has proven itself over the last few centuries.

Anything that is beyond the reach of the scientific Method, beyond mathematical proof or extrapolation can only be deemed as purely conceptual abstracts at best or just speculation at the least. This is where the idea, concept of god lies.

Its funny that both Anony1 and Deepsight have both used the words "concept and conceptual" in their descriptions of god, without even being cognizant of the implications of those words and how it contradicts their arguments and worldview.

If God is an abstract concept, then what exactly are we arguing over?

Where are abstract concepts formulated?

Your guess is as good as mine?

They are arguing against themselves without even knowing it.

You mean you have been busy writing irrelevant epistles without addressing that which you promised - even vowed to address?
Have you no sense of personal honour?

Just look at the many extensive posts you have out up today without even once addressing that which you were challenged to address: that which you in fact boasted about? ? ? ? ? ?

Chai.
Some people.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by plaetton: 4:31pm On Jun 10, 2015
DeepSight:

You mean you have been busy writing irrelevant epistles without addressing that which you promised - even vowed to address?
Have you no sense of personal honour?

Just look at the many extensive posts you have out up today without even once addressing that which you were challenged to address: that which you in fact boasted about? ? ? ? ? ?

Chai.
Some people.
C'mon Depardo,
Can you not see that I am enjoying watching you sweat in anticipation of imminent emasculation?
Waiting to be chopped up piece by piece is already eating you up. Lol

I am A saddist in this very case.

And by the way, big lol to " kettle of insects".
You certainly need more humor in your word salad recipes. grin

But, literally and figuratively, a kettle of insects are more proteinacous, healthy and life - giving than stale wordsalads.

After all, John the Baptist lived exclusively on insects, locusts, not wordsalads.
grin
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Kay17: 5:06pm On Jun 10, 2015
DeepSight:

Thank you for your comments.

May I ask exactly how such a thing would contradict the unchanging quality of God?

Would such a thing for example change God's eternity, self-existence, transcendence? Not at all sir - you can see that that does not follow. Indeed it does not follow anymore than you breathing in and breathing out changes the quality or nature of your being.

But you said the quality of self-existence is due to the immutability and unchanging nature of God, therefore if God passes from one state to another, God is in a flux as a result and he can not be said to be self-existent. The emergence of the Universe as a piece of God is a flux. Breathing in and out is an example of change/motion (which technically could change who I am, from living to dead. But that aside)

Let us stick with the analogy above to answer this question: it would be the same way a single breath from lungs is not of the same nature as the lungs itself. It would be the same way that single breath does not transcend either itself or the being that exudes it.

To use another analogy to help - it would be the same way Light from the Sun is not necessarily the fullness of the body of the sun itself. And in this same way, even if Light rays may move or be emitted away from the sun, this does not mean that the sun has changed in essential nature or substance. This is a mere analogy.

I will try employing your analogy as an explanatory device. Light emanating from the Sun does not carry the Sun with it, but contains heat which it carries from the Sun, The heat is like a marker and an inheritance from the Sun. That is the kind of substance I'm talking about. Comparing the Universe to God, they are at opposing poles of reality like light and darkness.

However, aside from the two analogies above, the simple answer to your question is that the universe is not known to be something outside of itself or beyond itself, and we thus cannot call it transcendental. The idea that something beyond the universe caused the universe informs our reference to that cause as transcendental.

You have turned the Universe into the reference point and lens through everything is defined. Transcendence ought not be defined in reference to the Universe, rather to itself.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by KingEbukasBlog(m): 5:54pm On Jun 10, 2015
plaetton:
^^^
The funny thing about these people, Deepsight, Anony1, Uyi, kingebukasblog, Ihedinobi2, Davidylsn, etc. In fact, every single one of them, is that when the chips are down, when they hit the brick wall of reason and scientific facts, the they reach into their pockets and INVOKE the FAITH AMENDMENT.

The Faith Amendment is a sort of get-out-of-jail card that theists of all shades carry in their pockets whenever the wall of reason and facts begin to close in on them.

The Faith Amendment protects the believer from Accepting or conceding to any or all truths and facts that might incriminate his/chosen set of beliefs.
The hilarious thing here is that all the people mentioned above, have , at one or several times in the paste, reached into their pockets to invoke the Faith Amendment.

Selective Amnesia.

Selective Amnesia allows them to choose what to remember and what to forget, what is to believe by faith and what to believe by facts, which scientific ideas to accept and which to reject, what is metaphycial and what is the toothfairy.

I find it amazing and quite hilarious that one person can scoff at the Toothfairy in one instance, and then wax metaphycial in another instance.
Cognitive dissonance?
Multiple personality Syndrome?
Or just plain hubris?

Lol ... oh plaetton ... am sure you had big bang and evol. theories at the back of your mind while typing this- some Christians believe in them though .

But ask yourself these questions

1. Why God does not need/have to exist
2. What's the reason for our existence

I'd love to see your response
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 6:19pm On Jun 10, 2015
plaetton:

C'mon Depardo,
Can you not see that I am enjoying watching you sweat in anticipation of imminent emasculation?
Waiting to be chopped up piece by piece is already eating you up. Lol

I am A saddist in this very case.

And by the way, big lol to " kettle of insects".
You certainly need more humor in your word salad recipes. grin

But, literally and figuratively, a kettle of insects are more proteinacous, healthy and life - giving than stale wordsalads.

After all, John the Baptist lived exclusively on insects, locusts, not wordsalads.
grin

Sweat, lol.

You should know your man much better my friend.
I am not interested in what you have to say - for two reasons - the first is that you have nothing to say and we both know this.
The second reason, I will have to water down - namely, we both know you are not up to scratch for articulating anything anyway.

My only interest, from the minute you made that vacuous boast - was simply to show up the fact that it was exactly that - vacuous. Utterly empty.

As far as I am concerned, I have conclusively shown that already.
Maybe you don't understand a thing about psychology.

Your talk was empty dribble. . . . and that has been clearly demonstrated here.

The best you can do is to pretend to be holding back your statements - while you write epistles on distractions, lol.
Kid's play.
Period.
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by DeepSight(m): 6:32pm On Jun 10, 2015
Kay17:

But you said the quality of self-existence is due to the immutability and unchanging nature of God, therefore if God passes from one state to another, God is in a flux as a result and he can not be said to be self-existent. The emergence of the Universe as a piece of God is a flux. Breathing in and out is an example of change/motion (which technically could change who I am, from living to dead. But that aside)

It is not said that God is passing from one state to another, but that God's emissions are.
The Universe is not here said to be a piece of God, but a consequence of God.

This is no more than your breath is a consequence of you - and not a piece of you. In reality it is just a consequence of your body and its connection to life, but no matter.

The analogy of the Yugas simply shows the universe to be perhaps a consequence of the contant "breath" (if you like) of God. This does not mean that the nature of God changes.

In this, please also bear in mind a very core argument I made here once:

Someone contended that since change is constant, then God must change, i.e - be mutable.

I responded stating that if the fact that change is constant never changes, then what do you say? Do you get that?
If something is eternally subject to change and change is its core nature - then its nature as something that always changes never changes. That nature is immutable.

Nevertheless that was a simple revert to show that argument as not thorough enough.
In simple terms, the beating of a heart does not thereby change the essential nature of a heart - especially if like God - the beating heart is taken to beat eternally.

Every beat would be a moment of change to its external environment without changing the core nature of the heart.
Is this clear to you?

And in all of this you must yet bear at the back of your mind that which I said about the universe not being a direct creation of God.

I will try employing your analogy as an explanatory device. Light emanating from the Sun does not carry the Sun with it, but contains heat which it carries from the Sun, The heat is like a marker and an inheritance from the Sun. That is the kind of substance I'm talking about. Comparing the Universe to God, they are at opposing poles of reality like light and darkness.

I see little to contradict in the above and it does not detract from that which I am saying.

You have turned the Universe into the reference point and lens through everything is defined. Transcendence ought not be defined in reference to the Universe, rather to itself.

No actually: I only make reference to it to discuss with the materialist. Everyone should know anyway, as Anony has said, that the nature of reality is metaphysical.

In truth, the entire universe and material world that you see is nothing but a sort of holographic projection - a temporary illusion into which we are projected and from which we are extracted at death.

That is the real truth, but I see that you are not ready to take the discussion that far, so let us continue for now where we are.

Besides, the word "transcendent" has a dictionary definition which should suffice for this purpose.

1 Like

Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Kay17: 7:56pm On Jun 10, 2015
DeepSight:

It is not said that God is passing from one state to another, but that God's emissions are.
The Universe is not here said to be a piece of God, but a consequence of God.
This is no more than your breath is a consequence of you - and not a piece of you. In reality it is just a consequence of your body and its connection to life, but no matter.
The analogy of the Yugas simply shows the universe to be perhaps a consequence of the contant "breath" (if you like) of God. This does not mean that the nature of God changes.
In this, please also bear in mind a very core argument I made here once:
Someone contended that since change is constant, then God must change, i.e - be mutable.
I responded stating that if the fact that change is constant never changes, then what do you say? Do you get that?
If something is eternally subject to change and change is its core nature - then its nature as something that always changes never changes. That nature is immutable.

Nevertheless that was a simple revert to show that argument as not thorough enough.
In simple terms, the beating of a heart does not thereby change the essential nature of a heart - especially if like God - the beating heart is taken to beat eternally.
Every beat would be a moment of change to its external environment without changing the core nature of the heart.
Is this clear to you?
And in all of this you must yet bear at the back of your mind that which I said about the universe not being a direct creation of God.
I see little to contradict in the above and it does not detract from that which I am saying.
No actually: I only make reference to it to discuss with the materialist. Everyone should know anyway, as Anony has said, that the nature of reality is metaphysical.
In truth, the entire universe and material world that you see is nothing but a sort of holographic projection - a temporary illusion into which we are projected and from which we are extracted at death.
That is the real truth, but I see that you are not ready to take the discussion that far, so let us continue for now where we are.
Besides, the word "transcendent" has a dictionary definition which should suffice for this purpose.

For clarity, can there be parts of God despite He is a singularity?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Ancientx(m): 8:06pm On Jun 10, 2015
A simple question. Can something come out of nothing?
Re: Three Arguments For God's Existence by Weah96: 2:57am On Jun 11, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Think about it. The universe had to come from somewhere. Something predates it. But to avoid going into an infinite regress of predating the universe, we have to come to a point where there is something that nothing predates. [size=32pt]That point is God.[/size]

OK. I agree. Let's use the word God to refer to the point where there is something that nothing predates. In fact, the word serves as an excellent replacement because this something is actually a special something for it to simply pop out of nowhere.

I'm willing to concede to all of the above. But your claim is way BIGGER than that. You say that this something communicated with Jews and instructed them to write a book. That's the lie. How do we get from talking about the first something to the holy book? The first something was alive?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (48) (Reply)

Pastor Anita Oyakhilome Absent From Sharon's Wedding? (Photos) / Did you know that Pull Out Game Is Sinful? / Ada Jesus Suffers Stroke, Brought To Odumeje & Rita Edochie, They Rejected Her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 149
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.