Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,465 members, 7,816,089 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) (62252 Views)

The Beauty Of Yoruba Women / White Students Of Yoruba Language At Wisconsin University (Photo) / Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jun 12, 2015
Pasuma unko? grin

What of the man that sang, Baby mi, show colour re, ka jo ma roki. baby mi, show colour re, ka jo ma roki...lols.

You mean that man no pass your criteria ?

1 Like

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Chukwutobi: 5:28pm On Jun 12, 2015
OP, are you sure you know what you are saying?

I am not an expert in music history but I am very sure that you have omitted some vital musicians like Haruna Ishola.

1 Like

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Missfavourblog(f): 5:29pm On Jun 12, 2015
Good one op

2 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by snazzy5050(m): 5:29pm On Jun 12, 2015
Dbanj!
Wah bouh wizzy undecided
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by ajepako(f): 5:29pm On Jun 12, 2015
what of late Ayinde Barrister, Kollinton, Remmy Lawson, Bobby Benson, Adeolu Akinsanya, Orlando Owoh, Salawa Abeni, Adijat Alaragbo, Ligali Mukaiba, Haruna Ishola, Yusuf Olatunji, Saka Laigbade?

Abeg, do your research well and stop misinforming the youths..

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jun 12, 2015
Proudly Yoruba!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Sunny4Gold: 5:31pm On Jun 12, 2015
kinibigdeal:
Dbanj undecided
What about
Orlando Owoh
Sikiru Ayinde Barrister
Kollington Ayinla

4 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by ribbit: 5:31pm On Jun 12, 2015
Nice compilation

I like the fact that you compiled all those who didn't deny their Yorubahood like the likes of tayo Cruise, Chamillionaire etc

Although you omitted wale.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jun 12, 2015
Where's Ayinla Omowura

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by adexsimply(m): 5:31pm On Jun 12, 2015
Why did you spoil that list with dbanj?

4 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by denedene(m): 5:31pm On Jun 12, 2015
waht about the rapper WALE undecided

3 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by farmer99: 5:32pm On Jun 12, 2015
asa ko awodi ni. my own list 1. sikiru ayinde barrister, kollington, ayinde wasiu, obesere, osupa saheed, pasuma alabi, adisa owala, iya aladuke etc

4 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by daddynasa: 5:33pm On Jun 12, 2015
softnipples:
Please let's all celebrate them as Nigerians and not extraction from some tribe grin
You guyz here on nairaland are very good at inciting tribalism.
Nice thread thou
ur username b as e get o

1 Like

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by absoluteSuccess: 5:34pm On Jun 12, 2015
There use to be a lovely tower alone on the sea. You've become a light on the dark part on me. Life's remain a drug and its high amount on me...

3 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Ishilove: 5:34pm On Jun 12, 2015
Oh what a feeling

Coming over me

I cannot help myself

Baby I wanna love you

4 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Spells(m): 5:35pm On Jun 12, 2015
What abt me and dele giwa(elephant) lwkmd.....
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Rumpelstiltskin(m): 5:35pm On Jun 12, 2015
*in Kas' voice* Omo yoruba ni mi oooo.......swagger!!!!

3 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by ribbit: 5:35pm On Jun 12, 2015
ajepako:
what of late Ayinde Barrister, Kollinton, Remmy Lawson, Bobby Benson, Adeolu Akinsanya, Orlando Owoh, Salawa Abeni, Adijat Alaragbo, Ligali Mukaiba, Haruna Ishola, Yusuf Olatunji, Saka Laigbade?

These people didn't make much impact the n international level except for may be Orlando and BobbybBenson which op didn't mention
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by fxskye: 5:36pm On Jun 12, 2015
teetee123:
The Yorubas are one of the largest African ethnic groups south of the Sahara Desert. They are, in fact, not a single group, but rather a collection of diverse people bound together by a common language, history, and culture. The Yoruba homeland is located in West Africa. It stretches from a savanna (grassland) region in the north to a region of tropical rain forests in the south. Most Yoruba live in Nigeria. However there are also some scattered groups in Benin and Togo. During the four centuries of the slave trade, Yoruba territory was known as the Slave Coast. Uncounted numbers of Yoruba were carried to the Americas. Their descendants preserved Yoruba traditions. In several parts of the Caribbean and South America, Yoruba religion has been combined with Christianity. There are also many Yoruba descents/ diaspora who are living in North America and Europe.

Music is part of the Yoruba's culture and tradition. Many musicians of Yoruba heritage had made their mark on the world stage. Although some of them did not sing in Yoruba but they all acknowledged their heritage. The following 15 artistes were selected based on the following inclusion criteria:
a. Yoruba parentage (either father or mother)
b. Nominees or recipients of major global or African musical awards
c. Performing on the global stage
d. Being on US or European top charts
e. Popular beyond Africa

1. Fela Anikulapo Kuti
2. Tunde Baiyewu (Formerly of Lighthouse family)
3. Angelique Kidjo
4. Sade
5. Ayo
6. Asa
7. Seal
8. Lagbaja
9. King Sunny Ade
10. Ebenezer Obey
11. Femi Kuti
12. IK Dairo
13. Beautiful Nubia
14. D'Banj
15. Orlando Julius

However there are many other musicians who are of Yoruba heritage but these 15 are the ones acknowledged as the most popular ones outside Nigeria and Africa. Some are already subject of Masters and PhD dissertations in universities around the world.

And Dr. Sikiru Ayinde Barrister, Kollinghton, Salawa, K1 etc doesn't form part of your list?

1 Like

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by ajepako(f): 5:37pm On Jun 12, 2015
ribbit:
These people didn't make much impact the n international level except for may be Orlando and ik dairy which op didn't mention

Alhaji Agba didnt make impact? Bobby Benson didnt make impart? or Remy Lawson?

Well, you werent born then, so you wouldnt know

So always stick to facts you know

No offense

2 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by RaeMystix: 5:38pm On Jun 12, 2015
I think Seal is the most famous of them all.

1 Like

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by chokovirus: 5:39pm On Jun 12, 2015
f
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by omodapson(m): 5:40pm On Jun 12, 2015
holyokoto:
Apart from Sade Adu, Angelique Kijo, all of them are YOLOBA

What do you mean? Please educate me further.

1 Like

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by chokovirus: 5:42pm On Jun 12, 2015
daddynasa:
ur username b as e get o
angry grin E get as the uername dey do u?
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Funjosh(m): 5:43pm On Jun 12, 2015
Missfavourblog:
Good one op

Bad one OP tongue
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by ribbit: 5:44pm On Jun 12, 2015
ajepako:

Alhaji Agba didnt make impact? Bobby Benson didnt make impart? or Remy Lawson?

Well, you werent born then, so you wouldnt know

So always stick to facts you know

No offense

sorry I meant Bobby Benson. I have edited that post.... Sorry o Mr born then... It's not an achievement... Do you want to compare the likes of obey, ik dairo, fela, or king sunny ade to Barrister... Barrister was a star no doubt, he was able to shoot couple of videos abroad but not many people on the international scene recognised him like the people I mentioned above. Barrister and Salawa Abeni kinda have same level of recognition at a time

Can you say, because pasuma and obesere have performed quite well home and abroad, they should be mentioned alongside the people op mentioned?

1 Like

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Richiez(m): 5:45pm On Jun 12, 2015
If all yorubas could post useful information like this OP instead of hating on their igbo friends, then nairaland will be a better place...yorubas are good at doing music....big ups!

5 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by tiger28: 5:46pm On Jun 12, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
Pasuma unko? grin

What of the man that sang, Baby mi, show colour re, ka jo ma roki. baby mi, show colour re, ka jo ma roki...lols.

You mean that man no pass your criteria ?
did everyone forget what OP said? INTERNATIONAL! !!!!
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by ribbit: 5:48pm On Jun 12, 2015
Richiez:
If all yorubas could post useful information like this OP instead of hating on their igbo friends, then nairaland will be a better place...yorubas are good at doing music....big ups!
If ibos learn to respect other people, may be there won't be time for that... Or have you seen Yoruba write anything negative about Hausa or any other tribe in Nigeria?

13 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by tomzman: 5:49pm On Jun 12, 2015
Proud Yoruba boy any day. Omo Yoruba lemi o.

6 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Funjosh(m): 5:50pm On Jun 12, 2015
Ishilove:
Oh what a feeling

Coming over me

I cannot help myself

Baby I wanna love you

Ishilove I wanna Love kiss
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Nobody: 5:50pm On Jun 12, 2015
ajepako:

The list us about artist who make their mark internationally not necessarily among the YouTube speaking nation

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Wife & Daughter Of Ooni Adeyeye Enitan-Ogunwusi / Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Becomes Emir, Drops Title / Olori Chanel Chin: Why I Recorded Oluwo's Atrocities Inside The Palace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.