Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,405 members, 7,815,880 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:14 PM

15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) (62239 Views)

The Beauty Of Yoruba Women / White Students Of Yoruba Language At Wisconsin University (Photo) / Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by olabolawasiu(m): 6:46pm On Jun 12, 2015
God bless you for not being tribalistic. Nigeria is ours.
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Ishilove: 6:55pm On Jun 12, 2015
mainman7:

Uhn o ma ba e lo ni o ah oh ah
Uhn o ma ba e lo..
Uhn o ma be o lo ni o ah oh ah
Uhn o ma ba e lo..
Uhn o ma ba e lo ni ooooo
Uhn o ma ba e lo!

A truly classic Nigerian Musician of international standard. I love Beautiful Nubian's personality and meaningful melodic songs.
He makes music, not the trash they sing nowadays
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by devour129: 7:01pm On Jun 12, 2015
Ishilove:

upon am Igbo , his songs made me homesick back when I was schooling at ife . I still love the guy that introduced me to his music .(pass the calabash )

2 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Swagk101(m): 7:09pm On Jun 12, 2015
Dat Kidjo's pic tho...I sight d n*pple saying hi 2 me grin
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by SurePresident: 7:12pm On Jun 12, 2015
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by klax(m): 7:13pm On Jun 12, 2015
Uncompleted list. Where is Wasiu, Ola made, Panama, Ayuba, Victor Olaiya, Ayoade Barrister, Sheet, Sir Shina Peter 777 is the number the names are endless they are very cute tribe and a pure music ambassadors tribe honestly im not Yoruba but I hail them and I also hail other tribes as well Nigeria as a nation we are great people. God bless my nation too proudly Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Chukwutobi: 7:17pm On Jun 12, 2015
samueld0:

HarunA Ishola was not Internationaly known
The musicians on the list are the one kown and recorgnised internationaly

Have you ever listened to any of his songs?
from there you will know whether he is internationally known or not
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by mainman7(m): 7:17pm On Jun 12, 2015
Ishilove:

Sadly true. Hope those upcoming musicians going through this thread would realize that sensible music are timeless, and consequently make songs that would be much appreciated by all generations.
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Ishilove: 7:22pm On Jun 12, 2015
mainman7:

Sadly true. Hope those upcoming musicians going through this thread would realize that sensible music are timeless, and consequently make songs that would be much appreciated by all generations.
I was listening to Asa yesterday, and I realised music she released several years ago is still relevant and enjoyable till date. That's real music. Ever listened to Obey? I love most of his songs even though we're produced years before I was born. THAT is the beauty of evergreen music

3 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Ishilove: 7:24pm On Jun 12, 2015
devour129:
upon am Igbo , his songs made me homesick back when I was schooling at ife . I still love the guy that introduced me to his music .(pass the calabash )
Me too o. I especially love 'African Boy' and 'I Wanna Love You'
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Niyinficient(m): 7:26pm On Jun 12, 2015
teetee123:
JULIUS ORLANDO
Born in 1943 in Ikole-Ekiti in Ondo State, Nigeria, Orlando Julius Ekemode (“Orlando was really a nickname, taken from the Nigerian actor, Orlando Martins“) had started in music from an early age, becoming the school drummer and learning flute, bugle and other instruments at St Peters Anglican School in Ikole-Ekiti.

O.J. and the Modern Aces embarked on a series of landmark 45s for Phillips / Polydor. Their first single, ‘Jagua Nana’, released in ’64, became an instant hit and catapulted the previously little known band into the Lagos limelight. Further hits followed – ‘Topless’ (which briefly earned Orlando the nickname ‘The Topless Man’), ‘Ololufe’ and ‘E Se Rere’. 1966, four years before Fela Kuti would unleash his formidable ‘afrobeat’ sound on the world, Orlando Julius had revolutionised the sound of Lagos with his fusion of highlife and American soul on the groundbreaking debut album “Super Afro Soul”.

UK label Strut reissued ’Super Afro Soul’ before other labels including Soundway and Vampi Soul began releasing his Afro Sounders recordings, all spreading the word on OJ’s pioneering role in Nigerian music.

Because of problems with Nigerian electricity through NEPA which would often cause his studio equipment to blow as well as equipment losses through theft, Orlando moved to Ghana in 2003 after playing live at Panafest (the long-running Pan-African Historical Theatre Project). He set up a studio in Accra and recorded his most recent album there, ’Longevity & Reclamation’. He moved back to Nigeria in 2008 and still lives in the outskirts of Lagos.

Other recent projects have included recordings with Hot Casa signing Setanta including a cover of his classic ’Ijo Soul’ and sessions with young musicians in Nigeria for a British Council project in association with Soundthread. At the time of writing, he is planning an all-new album with UK super-group The Heliocentrics for release on Strut in April 2014. He also performed his first ever gig in the UK in September 2013 for Afri-Kokoa at London’s Rich Mix.

Nice one bt ikole-Ekiti is in Ekiti state and not Ondo state! Thank you! Omo elekole obalayaso! Ikole r'oun m'aso se, e t'alab' ose! Proud of my root!

2 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by dckng16(m): 7:32pm On Jun 12, 2015
I read some people asking to include Olamide. That dude is becoming Noise maker nowadays. His song is too noisy and razz for my liking.
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by seunmsg(m): 7:35pm On Jun 12, 2015
holyokoto:
Apart from Sade Adu, Angelique Kijo, all of them are YOLOBA

Sade Adu is Yoruba from Ikere Ekiti in Ekiti state.

1 Like

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by naptu2: 7:43pm On Jun 12, 2015
You left out two Grammy Award winners (and master drummers).

Babatunde Olatunji
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babatunde_Olatunji

and

Sikiru Adepoju.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikiru_Adepoju
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by omaji53jeremiah: 7:49pm On Jun 12, 2015
yoruba u 2 much ooooo
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by JayJustus(m): 7:50pm On Jun 12, 2015
you forgot about Ledisi the lady that sang pieces of me...hian... OP
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by stabillo(m): 7:55pm On Jun 12, 2015
naptu2:
You left out two Grammy Award winners (and master drummers).

Babatunde Olatunji
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babatunde_Olatunji

and

Sikiru Adepoju.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikiru_Adepoju
I think they're drummers

2 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by kenoz(m): 8:02pm On Jun 12, 2015
Good to know.
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Fundango: 8:07pm On Jun 12, 2015
Rainmaker69:
Funmi Adams
No Funmi in that lists is like no Nairaland
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by naptu2: 8:07pm On Jun 12, 2015
stabillo:
I think they're drummers

Yes, drummers and singers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51O2ymTtsR8

1 Like

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Fundango: 8:12pm On Jun 12, 2015
Rainmaker69:
Funmi Adams
No Funmi in that lists is like no Nairaland .ops i mean INA GISO YEKE KE YARA ,INA GISO YEKE KAWO SHI NAN; in YANFULO voice!!

1 Like

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Fundango: 8:19pm On Jun 12, 2015
seunmsg:

Sade Adu is Yoruba from Ikere Ekiti in Ekiti state.
and her parents are desendant of fulani hermantic people of za garin dabo@kano or katsinawar.
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by grin88(m): 8:37pm On Jun 12, 2015
mainman7:
Yeah, Nas' full name is Nasiru Oludare Jones.
oludara and not oludare
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by toygod2: 8:42pm On Jun 12, 2015
OHOHOH
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Menace2Society(m): 8:43pm On Jun 12, 2015
Nice one!but where is my Akeem Kareem(Blackman)?love oldies mehn they too sweet!wetin be are u gonna dance o if I show u my money undecided
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by mikron(m): 8:48pm On Jun 12, 2015
No KWAM 1 and PASUMA?
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by saydmaryam(m): 8:53pm On Jun 12, 2015
ribbit:
These people didn't make much impact the n international level except for may be Orlando and BobbybBenson which op didn't mention
Dr Sikiru Ayinde Barrister shld be mentioned coz he was also honoured by the then Secretary General of Commonwealth of nation as AIMA
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by omokab: 8:58pm On Jun 12, 2015
You mean sikiru ayinde barrister,wasiu ayinde and pasuma alabi will not make this list.Na complete ojoro. Most of the names you mentioned is not well known by yorubas not to talk of more popular than those I have mentioned.All the same good job for promoting yoruba culture.
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Panelbeater(m): 8:59pm On Jun 12, 2015
What of Lulu Falemara
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by goalburner(m): 9:13pm On Jun 12, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
Pasuma unko? grin

What of the man that sang, Baby mi, show colour re, ka jo ma roki. baby mi, show colour re, ka jo ma roki...lols.

You mean that man no pass your criteria ?
you are surely a babe dat was born and grown up in Ibadan
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Ayus34(m): 9:19pm On Jun 12, 2015
raphok1:
I'm igbo (a proud one) but one good thing i knw about the Yorubas is that they hav a very beautiful and rich culture, and I'm also proud to exist in the same country them.
you touch my heart bro.....and the yoruba race appreciate this statement....God bless you.....God bless igbo land because of you........and bless nigeria because of all tribes that build the country!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Wife & Daughter Of Ooni Adeyeye Enitan-Ogunwusi / Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Becomes Emir, Drops Title / Olori Chanel Chin: Why I Recorded Oluwo's Atrocities Inside The Palace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.