Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,065 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:53 AM

15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) (62244 Views)

The Beauty Of Yoruba Women / White Students Of Yoruba Language At Wisconsin University (Photo) / Top Rated Musicians Of Igbo Nigerian Descent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by wasiudvd(m): 5:50pm On Jun 12, 2015
Nice compilation OP, but Alhaji Agba should have make the list.
And for those asking why D'banj, is he from West Germany? Or he has not done enough home and abroad?

5 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by semitunde: 5:52pm On Jun 12, 2015
Informative. Nice. Front page material.

I loved ASA's first album. Can't really place what she's singing now though. The people advising her had better tell her to go back to the " ojumo ti mo" cool groove. That song was 10/10.

5 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by raphok1(m): 5:53pm On Jun 12, 2015
I'm igbo (a proud one) but one good thing i knw about the Yorubas is that they hav a very beautiful and rich culture, and I'm also proud to exist in the same country them.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by CzarRex: 5:53pm On Jun 12, 2015
I'm definitely waitin 4 a counter thread from my Igbo Ni.ggaz on NL
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Nobody: 5:56pm On Jun 12, 2015
Add Tunde Nightingale and Victor Olaiya to your list

5 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by semitunde: 5:56pm On Jun 12, 2015
Sunny4Gold:

What about
Orlando Owoh
Sikiru Ayinde Barrister
Kollington Ayinla

Even Shina Peters. I'd rate him higher than dbanj any day.

2 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Ilekeh(f): 5:59pm On Jun 12, 2015
I love Yoruba music and musicians grin

3 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by semitunde: 5:59pm On Jun 12, 2015
ribbit:
Nice compilation

I like the fact that you compiled all those who didn't deny their Yorubahood like the likes of tayo Cruise, Chamillionaire etc

Although you omitted wale.

Well seal had quite a relationship with his dad I hear. He didn't want to have anything to do with the family in Nigeria afterwards.

As for Taio Cruz. Give him time. Desmond Elliot is now surulere rep. Lol.
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by vivypretty(f): 5:59pm On Jun 12, 2015
some of them I don't know talk more of their music
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Angelou(m): 6:02pm On Jun 12, 2015
Beautiful nubia is my best indigenous musician *modified*
awaiting front page!!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by superstar3: 6:03pm On Jun 12, 2015
ajepako:
what of late Ayinde Barrister, Kollinton, Remmy Lawson, Bobby Benson, Adeolu Akinsanya, Orlando Owoh, Salawa Abeni, Adijat Alaragbo, Ligali Mukaiba, Haruna Ishola, Yusuf Olatunji, Saka Laigbade?

Abeg, do your research well and stop misinforming the youths..

You are right. Many youths of today may not know name of these great singers.

3 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by dolafunmi(f): 6:04pm On Jun 12, 2015
teetee123:
SEAL
Henry Olusegun Adeola Samuel[1] (born 19 February 1963), better known by the pseudonym Seal, is a British soul and R&B singer and songwriter.[2][3] He has sold more than 30 million albums worldwide[4] and is known for his numerous international hits, including "Kiss from a Rose", which appeared on the soundtrack to the 1995 film Batman Forever. He was a coach on The Voice Australia in 2012 and 2013.[5]

Seal has won numerous music awards throughout his career, including three Brit Awards—winning Best British Male in 1992, four Grammy Awards, and an MTV Video Music Award.[6][7] As a songwriter, he received the British Academy's Ivor Novello Award, for Best Song Musically and Lyrically, in consecutive years for "Killer" (1990) and "Crazy" (1991)

Seal was born Olusegun Olumide Adeola Samuel[9] on 19 February 1963 in Paddington, London, England, to a Nigerian mother, Adebisi Ogundeji, and a Brazilian father, Francis Samuel.[10][11][12] Seal's first and middle names are in the Yoruba language.[13] Olusegun means "God is victorious", Olumide means "my Lord has arrived", and Adeola means either "rich crown" or "a crown of wealth". He was raised in the City of Westminster in inner London by his foster family. He received a two-year diploma, or associate degree, in architecture and worked in various jobs in the London area.[14]

Although there have long been rumours as to the cause of the scars on his face, they are the result of a type of lupus called discoid lupus erythematosus – a condition that specifically affects the skin above the neck.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seal_%28musician%29
Heard he came about them while trying to erase his tribalmarks.
How true?
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by lanreokoro(m): 6:06pm On Jun 12, 2015
teetee123:
JULIUS ORLANDO
Born in 1943 in Ikole-Ekiti in Ondo State, Nigeria, Orlando Julius Ekemode (“Orlando was really a nickname, taken from the Nigerian actor, Orlando Martins“) had started in music from an early age, becoming the school drummer and learning flute, bugle and other instruments at St Peters Anglican School in Ikole-Ekiti.

O.J. and the Modern Aces embarked on a series of landmark 45s for Phillips / Polydor. Their first single, ‘Jagua Nana’, released in ’64, became an instant hit and catapulted the previously little known band into the Lagos limelight. Further hits followed – ‘Topless’ (which briefly earned Orlando the nickname ‘The Topless Man’), ‘Ololufe’ and ‘E Se Rere’. 1966, four years before Fela Kuti would unleash his formidable ‘afrobeat’ sound on the world, Orlando Julius had revolutionised the sound of Lagos with his fusion of highlife and American soul on the groundbreaking debut album “Super Afro Soul”.

UK label Strut reissued ’Super Afro Soul’ before other labels including Soundway and Vampi Soul began releasing his Afro Sounders recordings, all spreading the word on OJ’s pioneering role in Nigerian music.

Because of problems with Nigerian electricity through NEPA which would often cause his studio equipment to blow as well as equipment losses through theft, Orlando moved to Ghana in 2003 after playing live at Panafest (the long-running Pan-African Historical Theatre Project). He set up a studio in Accra and recorded his most recent album there, ’Longevity & Reclamation’. He moved back to Nigeria in 2008 and still lives in the outskirts of Lagos.

Other recent projects have included recordings with Hot Casa signing Setanta including a cover of his classic ’Ijo Soul’ and sessions with young musicians in Nigeria for a British Council project in association with Soundthread. At the time of writing, he is planning an all-new album with UK super-group The Heliocentrics for release on Strut in April 2014. He also performed his first ever gig in the UK in September 2013 for Afri-Kokoa at London’s Rich Mix.

What about Orlando owoh

3 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by chamboy(m): 6:06pm On Jun 12, 2015
When it comes to music, u have to give it to Yoruba

Warning; This No Tribal shit

3 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Nobody: 6:09pm On Jun 12, 2015
1. Fela Anikulapo Kuti
2. Tunde Baiyewu (Formerly of Lighthouse family)
3. Angelique Kidjo
4. Sade
5. Ayo Tony Allen
6. Asa
7. Seal
8. Lagbaja Seun Kuti
9. King Sunny Ade
10. Ebenezer Obey
11. Femi Kuti
12. IK Dairo
13. Beautiful Nubia
14. D'Banj Chamillionaire
15. Orlando Julius
cool

3 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Bifwoli: 6:10pm On Jun 12, 2015
Yorubbish musicians ,they've got nothing on the great line of Igbo cultural ambassadors.
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by fredoooooo: 6:10pm On Jun 12, 2015
Where is the fuji creator himself ? Father before father , African international music ambassador
Dr Sikiru Ayinde barrister .

7 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Realdeals(m): 6:15pm On Jun 12, 2015
@OP a list without Sikiru Ayinde Barrister is Wrong

3 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by hannysur8(m): 6:16pm On Jun 12, 2015
This list is incomplete without Dr Sikiru Ayinde Barrister
SIKIRU AYINDE BARRISTER PROFILE
One of Nigeria's best-known singer/songwriters, Chief Doctor Sikiru Ayinde Barrister (born: Sikiru Ayinde) has played an essential role in the evolution of the music of his homeland. The leader of a 25- piece band, the Supreme Fuji Commanders, and a smaller group, the Africa Musical International Ambassadors, Barrister has continued to be one of the leading purveyors of fuji, an exciting, amplified dance music combining juju, apala, and traditional Yoruban blues that he introduced in the late-'70s. Barrister has been singing most of his life. By the age of ten, he had mastered a complex, Yoruban vocal style that was traditionally performed during the holy month of Ramadan. Although he briefly attended a Muslim school, Yaba Polytechnic, in 1961, financial difficulties prevented him from continuing. Leaving school, he found employment as a stenographer. During the Civil War that swept through Nigeria between 1967 and 1970, he served in the Army. Signed by the Nigeria-based Africa Songs, Ltd. label, Barrister recorded many groundbreaking singles during the 1970s and '80s. With his heartfelt vocals set to a rhythmic mix of talking drums, claves, bells, shekere, drum set, and Hawaiian-style guitar, he laid the foundation for fuji, which he named after Mt. Fuji, the Japanese mountain of love. The style has been described as "juju without the guitars" and a "percussion conversation." The website www.rootsandrhythm.com described it as a "high speed assault by 12 wild percussionists." Barrister renamed the musical style "Fuji garbage" in 2000. ↓

6 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Shymm3x: 6:18pm On Jun 12, 2015
Multi-platinum rapper, Wale, should be on that list.

He has sold more albums than a lot of these folks, and he has a solid and loyal fan base.

7 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by RunnaRunna(m): 6:19pm On Jun 12, 2015
Whatever the op intended wit this is dead on arrival

1 Like

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Nobody: 6:19pm On Jun 12, 2015
Since seal is Thére,i think you should add NAS

5 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by mainman7(m): 6:27pm On Jun 12, 2015
Ipledge2:
Since seal is Thére,i think you should add NAS
Yeah, Nas' full name is Nasiru Oludare Jones.

4 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by stabillo(m): 6:27pm On Jun 12, 2015
Good list OP, I like the fact that AYO was added, the lady is a good singer
Since Angelina Kidjou was added to the list, I expect you to add the very talented Cuban twins IBEYI to your list cos they're Carribean Yoruba

Ibeyi is a French-Cuban musical duo
consisting of twin sisters, Lisa-Kaindé Diaz
and Naomi Diaz. [1] The duo sings in
English and Yoruba ,[2] — a Nigerian
language their ancestors spoke before
being brought to Cuba by the Spanish to be
made slaves in the 1700s — though Lisa’s
is the lead voice. Naomi plays traditional
Cuban percussion instruments cajón and
Batá drum, while Lisa also plays piano.[3]
Ibeyi is pronounced ee-bey-ee. In the
Yoruba language this translates as "twins".
Their music has elements of Yoruba,
French, and Afro-Cuban and fuses jazz with
beats, samples with traditional
instruments.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibeyi

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Shymm3x: 6:30pm On Jun 12, 2015
I think you should make it 20 - I don't know a lot of them, but there should be space for Sir Shina Peters there.

My childhood isn't complete without his tunes - the naija party days.

Big ups to King Sunny Ade and the great Fela Kuti though - legends.

And Sade Adu - greatness! She has the most loyal fan base ever, with that masculine and sultry voice!

4 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by samueld0(m): 6:31pm On Jun 12, 2015
Chukwutobi:
OP, are you sure you know what you are saying?

I am not an expert in music history but I am very sure that you have omitted some vital musicians like Haruna Ishola.

HarunA Ishola was not Internationaly known
The musicians on the list are the one kown and recorgnised internationaly
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by devour129: 6:34pm On Jun 12, 2015
Beautiful Nubia always takes me back to my OAU days . Oh what am feeling is killing me alive , I can't help myself baby I wanna love ya .

5 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:34pm On Jun 12, 2015
StarFlux:
How many of these actually sing in Yoruba though, apart from the obvious ones?

Olamide should be in this list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiQpc5dWsjg
what, its not yet time.
Olamide has not merited it.
Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by zimoni(f): 6:35pm On Jun 12, 2015
Adewale Ayuba Mr Johnson nko?

I too like Mr Johnson, been following him since Bubble.

3 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by mainman7(m): 6:38pm On Jun 12, 2015
Ishilove:
Oh what a feeling

Coming over me

I cannot help myself

Baby I wanna love you

Uhn o ma ba e lo ni o ah oh ah
Uhn o ma ba e lo..
Uhn o ma be o lo ni o ah oh ah
Uhn o ma ba e lo..
Uhn o ma ba e lo ni ooooo
Uhn o ma ba e lo!

A truly classic Nigerian Musician of international standard. I love Beautiful Nubian's personality and meaningful melodic songs.

4 Likes

Re: 15 Top Rated International Musicians Of Yoruba Descent (Old and Contemporary) by Ibsgal(f): 6:43pm On Jun 12, 2015
Taio Cruz should be on the list smiley

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The Wife & Daughter Of Ooni Adeyeye Enitan-Ogunwusi / Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Becomes Emir, Drops Title / Olori Chanel Chin: Why I Recorded Oluwo's Atrocities Inside The Palace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.