Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:37 AM

Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu (28570 Views)

Reno Omokri Responds To Wole Soyinka On Invasion Of Privacy / Betty Anyanwu Akeredolu And Her 4 Children (Photos) / I Was Sidelined In Disbursement Of Campaign Funds- Chris Anyanwu. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by kwaraguy(m): 11:33am On Jun 15, 2015
Booked
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by kwaraguy(m): 11:34am On Jun 15, 2015
Lemme read 1st
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by enuguwatch: 11:42am On Jun 15, 2015
Ugochukwu John Ani, a notorious fraudster of residence 14 Odionyenfe Close, Beside Kings High School, City Layout, New Heaven Extension Enugu of Phone number 08133685346 who built a 2 storey building in the mentioned address has been scamming a lot of innocent citizens both foreigners and locals. This short heighted innocent looking man even murdered one of his victims in Turkey recently. Through our sources, it has been gathered that he is planning a big hit with his old father to defraud an elderly Yoruba woman of Millions and this crime is currently on-going.
EFCC & Nigerian Police take note!
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by musicwriter(m): 11:43am On Jun 15, 2015
Well, I stopped reading when Yerima who's a well known pedophile was insinuated as being a champion for children rights. That speak volumes. Soyinka was right after all!.

6 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by AnneMomoh: 11:47am On Jun 15, 2015
DjHypno:
H

Hassan?
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by spenca: 11:49am On Jun 15, 2015
undecided undecided, the bills should be released to the press then we can avoid all these rofo rofo
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:49am On Jun 15, 2015
Mogidi:

Soyinka should have read the bill before commenting, at 80yrs plus, I hope the great playwright is not waning.
If you think this is APC vs PDP, you are of all saTANoids the most däft.

2 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by queensmith: 11:51am On Jun 15, 2015
If he is soo sure the bill has been misquoted why didn't he state the exact wording of the bill in the letter?

that way we can see?? Would have put this issue to bed quickly
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by DjHypno(m): 11:51am On Jun 15, 2015
AnneMomoh:

Hassan?
Naughty girl.
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by zicoraads: 11:53am On Jun 15, 2015
AnneMomoh:

Hassan?
Are you the Police of Nairaland? Wetin concern you if dem book space? Noticed you have taken it upon yourself to quote people who book spaces.

I haven't read the original copy of the bill, so I wouldn't know what to say. But, I wouldn't think majority of our Senators would pass a bill that would make it 'legal' to defile an 11 year old child.
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by stinggy(m): 11:53am On Jun 15, 2015
Chris Anyanwu needs to re-read WS's release. He asked that the Bill be re-visited so as to punish pedophiles like Yerima who has penchant for violating small girls under the guise of child marriage which we all know is allowed for in Islam.
Under the new Bill Anyanwu is boasting of, to defile a minor still comes easy. Marry her at even 5 yrs, and she's achieved the status of 'adult' and can be fvcked anyhow you deem fit.
These Senators need to revisit that Bill and include that no one is allowed to marry any girl below 18 under any religion allowance as the laws of Nigeria supersedes any.

3 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by esere826: 12:03pm On Jun 15, 2015
ricsman:
......let me state that the bill makes
no such linkages as you erroneously stated. I
think it may be fear of Senator Yerima that is at
play here.
For your information, Senator Yerima and all
other Senators who participated in the debate,
the two times the bill came up on the floor,
supported it as a vehicle for instituting a
stringent law barring all ranges of sexual

It is said that the pathway to hell is full of good intentions

madam,
you see Yerima dey support your bill, fear suppose catch you nawwww

It's like a Christian championing a bill against amputating people based on religious ethics
and then Yerima supports it
The right thing for the Christian to do is to reassess the bill to see its weak parts that is causing amputee advocates to support it.

Yerima was probably excited because he knew he could insert some little ink somewhere into the bill to make it pleasing to him and his fellow baby hunters

2 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by Shymm3x: 12:03pm On Jun 15, 2015
TheOtherview:

How do you know he did not read the bill, Mr Attention Seeker? Have you taken the time to review it yourself?

Source

Sir, you have got time to waste on these roasted brain cells having illiterates. I have never seen a bill more ambiguous than the useless bill passed by those pedos.

Once you understand legal terms - their intentions are as clear as daylight.

8 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by Fidelis776(m): 12:09pm On Jun 15, 2015
Please let's pass the bill and save our women both younge and aged.
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by Nobody: 12:09pm On Jun 15, 2015
I think we have to be sincere with ourselves. That bill is a disservice to the children of Nigeria. I think Chris Anyanwu should take a second look at his bill as passed by the Senate.

I endorse its veto!
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by queensmith: 12:12pm On Jun 15, 2015
[b]Ok so ive stubbornly abandoned the work I’m meant to be doing cheesy to try and figure this out.
It seems Chris Anyawu herself? has made the first error – Soyinka does not assume anywhere in his article that the Bill proposes it be legal to defile 11 year olds. Soyinka doesn’t actually mention age at all, his statements seem to be focused more on ‘children’ the age is coming directly from the articles and are not a part of his statements. (when will Nigerians be able to tell the difference) this is like the Buhari tv interview all over again!
Again Chris stated that he alluded the bill redefined adult status, apparently this has already been done by the Nigerian constitution, all Soyinka stated is that the bill re-enforces this absurd law and gives protection to abusers. If the bill is passed in current form, coupled with what is already within the constitution he will be correct. She is fully aware that he references a different piece of legislation and seems to be intentionally using this to commit folly.
Fear of Senator Yerima is the beginning of wisdom and I find it quite shocking this person has gone on to defend his intentions. Ridiculous. The rest is nonsense and dribble.
It’s also worthwhile to note that Soyinka himself admitted he is no expert in the subject (though I’m more than sure he probably is, since his mastery of the English language is unrivalled, you’re much welcome Oxford University) he duly invited experts to weigh in on his opinion. It sounds like Falana heeded the call since he was quick to whip them into shape (gotta love this guy!)
[/b]

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by justmenoni: 12:13pm On Jun 15, 2015
Nigeria nawa ooo, I read it here on Nairaland dat d Senate did pass a bill for 11 year's to start having sex and if not for this write up ehn the hatred I hv for our legislators would keep growing day by day

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by queensmith: 12:14pm On Jun 15, 2015
TheOtherview:

The statement given by a SAN is quoted verbatim, so you can stick your thinly disguised persecution complex - the one induced by an amorphous "Lagos-Ibadan Media Axis" - where the sun don't shine.

i'm actually in love grin grin grin are you married? considering a 2nd or 3rd wife?

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by BuddhaPalm(m): 12:18pm On Jun 15, 2015
Although Senator Chris was respectful in an exemplary manner, she missed Wole Soyinka's point ENTIRELY.

First, no where in Soyinka's article was 11 years mentioned.

Secondly, Soyinka's point is that Senator Anyanwu's bill is essentially window dressing IF a prior bill, sponsored by Yerima, which defines any child that gets married as an adult, still stands.

Here's his full article:

Dear Friends and Comrades,

Regretfully, I am unable to be with you tomorrow morning. However, I extend a warm embrace to you in your resolve to keep within Nigeria’s short memory the events that have been central to the attainment of our democracy – warts and all – enjoyed today by you and me. June 12 remains the true Democracy Day despite the unprincipled efforts of some prime beneficiaries of that struggle to expunge it from a people’s chronicle.

If I had been able to join you, I would most certainly have asked you for help. It has to do with the nation’s latest alleged legislative stance against sexual abuse – molestation, rape, paedophilia etc etc. I am only a layman, not a “learned brother”, so any help from the learned is earnestly solicited. The question on my mind is this: is that legislative reinforcement not merely a case of rubbing vaseline on leprosy?

In this supposedly progressive bill, sponsored by the respected Senator Chris Anyanwu. I could not help but notice a reiteration – as if to ensure that there is no ambiguity – of the word “child”, near superfluously. Well, we understand “child” as defined in most dictionaries. There is however also child as defined by the Nigerian legislature. This definition is contained in a prior Bill, sponsored, no less, by a notorious serial paedophile and cross-border sex trafficker, yet lawmaker – one Ahmed Yerima.

Does Yerima’s Bill, gleefully assented to by his peers, not simply vitiate this latter, supposedly humane concern for the protection of the child? Again, I confess to being only a ‘bloody layman’ in such matters. However, reading both bills, it strikes me that all the new bill does is empower the clique of paedophiles. All you need do is “marry” even a six-year old under any local laws, and do whatever you want with her. Through marriage, she is already an “adult”. Her “defiler” is now fully protected by this law. She is not. The current Bill is the ancient story of locking the stable door after the horse has bolted. End of story? Yerimah and his fellow perverts are having the last laugh.

This issue of child protection looms large all over the world – including bills passed or under debate. It is one that defines us in our own estimation and in global view as worthy to be counted among humanity, or as the basest kind of living species that exist solely for their sensual gratification, even at the cost of the emotional and physiological well-being of the weak and vulnerable of society. Our lawmakers have betrayed our children.

This latest addition of insult to social injury was tucked within a last-minute avalanche of bills that were passed at lightning speed during the tail-end of the last legislative assemblage – 47 bills in under 3 hours – surely one for the Guinness Book of Records. An accident? Or by design? This bill, subjected to wrong arguments, merely consolidates the reduction of female minors to sex objects. As long as you can afford a bag of rice or – as in the case of cross-border tastes such as Ahmed Yerima’s – ten thousand dollars, you are free To Molest a child to death. This, surely cannot pretend to represent the will of a people who care. Once you re-define female adulthood as marital status, all subsequent protection bills for the girl-child are worthless, cynical.

Neither culture nor religion is at issue here. It is, quite starkly, an issue of science, the science of the human body, one that demonstrably instructs us when the female human body is still at risk from conjugal rites. We should therefore call upon the Medical Association to take the lead on this, a human issue that affects all men and women of conscience. A nation should not be founded on the sexual exploitation of the fragile, and innocent. The debate must remain open.

President Buhari – and here I make my first imposition on his presidency – should never place his assent on such a nefarious distraction. Its implications doom the victim to afflictions that churn the stomach even to think of the human toll. Perhaps those legislators think that vaginal fistula is something thought up arm-chair critics with nothing better to occupy their minds. No matter, let those who profess a genuine concern declare their stand on this. On my part, I find unacceptable any effort to build a nation on perversions that merely minister to man’s sexual appetites. This is a sordid appeasement of a minority who actually require psychiatric help. President Buhari should not give his assent to the Bill without amendments that address the earlier Yerima gift to the nation. It’s a trap!

Let us learn from the heroes of June 12. Few people have done more for the cause of liberation than the Hero of this day. M.K.O.Abiola was an open polygamist. None of his wives was ever found to be below the only age of consent that is now needlessly under contention – the scientific. We cannot substitute science and observation for any spurious alibis that sacrifice the child to private lust!
The debate must remain open until resolved in favour of the child.

–Wole Soyinka

5 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by chinae(m): 12:20pm On Jun 15, 2015
REMMEI:
Has the president gone through these said bills?.. undecided
When? he is still busy filling up his international passport.

5 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by Balkan(m): 12:22pm On Jun 15, 2015
Soyinka should have sponsored a bill to stop secret cult he started in the university or face his drama writing work.

Yeye man

3 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by BuddhaPalm(m): 12:22pm On Jun 15, 2015
esere826:

It is said that the pathway to hell is full of good intentions

madam,
you see Yerima dey support your bill, fear suppose catch you nawwww

It's like a Christian championing a bill against amputating people based on religious ethics
and then Yerima supports it
The right thing for the Christian to do is to reassess the bill to see its weak parts that is causing amputee advocates to support it.

Yerima was probably excited because he knew he could insert some little ink somewhere into the bill to make it pleasing to him and his fellow baby hunters

Lol, dude has a legal loophole, so isn't concerned at all.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by queensmith: 12:23pm On Jun 15, 2015
BuddhaPalm:
Although Senator Chris was respectful in an exemplary manner, she missed Wole Soyinka's point ENTIRELY.

First, no where in Soyinka's article was 11 years mentioned.

Secondly, Soyinka's point is that Senator Anyanwu's bill is essentially window dressing IF a prior bill, sponsored by Yerima, which defines any child that gets married as an adult, still stands.

Here's his full article:

she did it intentionally - her mistake was addressing Soyinka instead of the media outlets she suggests are 'spreading tales' if she's very unlucky. Soyinka will respond

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by Jetjacky(m): 12:23pm On Jun 15, 2015
the sentence is too harsh. where is the chance for those people to change? this is where Nigeria is different from Foreign continents. even 30years in a 9ja cell is the same as eternity. beside I'm not sure Nigeria has rehabilitation centers, that would take this people in and teach them a new way of life. that way they have more people out there working with a corrected mindset, than a full prison all the time. Can someone tell me that they also treat their offenders to lifetime jail??

Quote if you have something useful to say, or back off. those male and female offenders are humans too, they're someone's close one. if they be yours someday, though you want them to suffer, would like to not see them for ever? would you, if he or she was your only son or daughter? if he or she was wrongly convicted?

we should all think like human beings, people make mistakes everyday, and each day people get accused for crimes they did not commit. that's life.

yes we should punish them, but life imprisonment is too hash
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jun 15, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

If you think this is APC vs PDP, you are of all saTANoids the most däft.

No, to him anything to tarnish any yoruba is good enough, even if he is the victim.
Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by Shymm3x: 12:26pm On Jun 15, 2015
Maxymilliano:

I'm not under any obligation to rebut any arguements or whatsoever from Falana, the post is a rejoinder by Senator Chris Anyawu to Wole Soyinka's article.

An advice to you: don't ever "rebut" anything from a legal practitioner, especially, if at your age you can't spell "argument" correctly. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by queensmith: 12:28pm On Jun 15, 2015
Shymm3x:

An advice to you: don't ever "rebut" anything from a legal practitioner, especially, if at your age you can't spell "argument" correctly. undecided

lool you're such a clown! lmfao

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by Shymm3x: 12:29pm On Jun 15, 2015
BackDatAssUp:

In legal parlance, especially when dealing with criminal or penal legislation, the term "liable" is used because the final interpretation, judgement and conviction rests on proving beyond reasonable doubt that a crime was committed and that the accused was found guilty.

"Liable" in this instance is thus the recommended sentence or punishment.

Remember all accused remain innocent until proven guilty.

The term "shall" usually precedes that of "liable".

For example, any body convicted of first degree murder shall be liable to a minimum sentence of life imprisonment to a maximum of death.

The Appellant and/or Supreme court may set aside a sentence but still uphold a conviction.

This is why the penal code is open ended in every piece of criminal legislation since a sentence may be reduced by a higher court unless where a minimum sentence is prescribed in the statute book.

Also a pardon may be granted setting aside both a conviction and sentence

ODB/GhostFaceKillah/etc. the legendary troll, in as much as your argument is flawed - I'm quite impressed with this delivery. It seems you have stepped it up a bit.

Peace to the Gods, my favourite troll. grin

2 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by Maxymilliano(m): 12:30pm On Jun 15, 2015
Shymm3x:

So you can't smell a typo if you see one ?

Anyway, goodluck to you.

1 Like

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by hansad: 12:33pm On Jun 15, 2015
Mogidi:

Soyinka should have read the bill before commenting, at 80yrs plus, I hope the great playwright is not waning.

After Anyanwu's long letter, she did not state the most important thing: did her bill stipulate at what age a girl shall reach so that any man who had sexual relations with her below that age has committed a punishable offence?

So far, is there any official age stipulated in the bill?

In the Western World, it is usually stipulated in black and white: 18 years. If a girl is below 18 years in the Western world, anybody caught having sex with her is punished by law.

4 Likes

Re: Open Letter To Prof. Wole Soyinka On Sexual Bill. By Chris Anyanwu by Adeboyefa(f): 12:33pm On Jun 15, 2015
Soyinka, Falana,etc are right. Anyanwu and her colleagues should accept correction and amend the law. Why were the age groups separated and valuable time and space wasted since the punishment is the same for defiling girls aged 0-11, 12-15 and 16-18?She is only exonerating herself of complicity in the deletion of the clauses punishing the defilement of girls aged 11-18. See below:

Anyanwu explained further that clause 6 of the bill provides that; “A person who commits an offence that causes penetration with a child is guilty of an offence called defilement.”

She also said provisions of the bill included that; “A person who commits and offence of defilement with a child aged 11 years or less upon conviction shall be sentenced to imprisonment for life.”

“A person who commits an offence of defilement with a child between 12 and 15 years old shall upon conviction be sentence to imprisonment for life.”
“A person who commits an offence of defilement with a child between age 16 and 18 years old shall upon conviction be sentenced to imprisonment for life.”
She explained that the succeeding provisions were deleted at the committee level in the senate, because there is no disparity in the punishment for the offence, irrespective of age difference.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/falana-to-challenge-legality-of-sexual-offences-bill/212064/.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

FG Moves To Cut Power Utilisation By 85% / Defections: APC Expresses Confidence In Dogara / Aminu Kano Patriots Drum Support For Obi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.