Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:43 AM

Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? (20154 Views)

Man Slammed Online For Saving Mother Instead Of Wife; Who Would You Have Saved? / Nigeria:a Nation Of Wife Beaters? / Wife-beaters -understanding Your Wife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by thorpido(m): 8:40am On Jun 17, 2015
Daresh:

The fact that it doesn't happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen to others. The world doesn't revolve around you. And don't go vouching for other people, you don't know what happens in their homes. I was surprised to find out many so called loving relationships are battered homes.
Your title is wrong.How many marriages do you know where the husband beats the wife to conclude Nigeria is a nation of wife beaters?Perhaps you don't understand the title.
Yes,there are incidences of wife beating but how many compared with the general population?MarvellousGod spoke about her family.It's the same story with mine too,so where is the basis to conclude it's a nation of wife beaters?

You can't just use your immediate environment to judge all marriages.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by SAMBARRY: 8:42am On Jun 17, 2015
They will tie their gele and make up heavily in church lifting up holy hands feigning spirit filled woman while the husband feigns shepherd of the home and when they get home their LORD, MASTER AND DELIVERER aka olowo ori aka Mr husband that saved them from spinsterhood will beat them like there's no tomorrow grin

I have no pity with women who use their vaginas to think. They can be beaten to death for all I care grin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by rolled: 8:45am On Jun 17, 2015
MarvellousGod:
I don't know about Nigeria being a nation of wife beaters but I do know my dad never beat my mum, my Father-in-law never beat his wife, my brothers-in-law don't beat their wives and most importantly my husband doesn't beat me..
so as I already said I don't know about Nigeria being a nation of wife beaters undecided

I didn't read your write up though. ..
Do you live with your brother in law or you lived with your father in law
Say what you are very sure of

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by 5minsmadness: 8:47am On Jun 17, 2015
Onegai:

Thanks for this. I hope your sample data consisted of marriages you know well. I know of more cases of Spousal Abuse, but because it happened before my time, I was told only in passing and that was the only thing I ever heard of the marriage, chose to keep it out of my data.

I have to readjust my figures then.
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by SAMBARRY: 8:47am On Jun 17, 2015
And the wife beaters storm the thread to exempt themselves and pretend that it's not majority of marriages in Nigeria where the mr husband is the alpha and omega the beginning and end the ed of the house grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by coogar: 8:48am On Jun 17, 2015
Onegai:

Sorry but Verbal Abuse is NOT considered on the same scale as Physical Abuse. Ask any pyschologist, one damages your pysche over time, another takes your life faster. So the phrase "dying in my marriage" here will refer to people whom are physically buried or treating actual wound, not pyschological scars. Gender is not to be mentioned until we can divine the actual figures of Domestic Violence cases. Then we look at which gender is more prevalent.

only an illiterate would type the bolded statement. verbal abuse is actually the worst form of abuse. the exposure it gets is minimal but it's conveniently the worst.

Please I will not reply any other posts attempting to derail this thread, we are speaking ratios and numbers purely. Thanks.

you are the one derailing the thread. the OP did not ask anyone to become a statistician. it was just an article to read & digest.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by coogar: 8:53am On Jun 17, 2015
thorpido:
Your title is wrong.How many marriages do you know where the husband beats the wife to conclude Nigeria is a nation of wife beaters?Perhaps you don't understand the title.
Yes,there are incidences of wife beating but how many compared with the general population?MarvellousGod spoke about her family.It's the same story with mine too,so where is the basis to conclude it's a nation of wife beaters?

there's nothing wrong with the title, if the stats is as high as 50%, then one can conclude its a nation of wife beaters - especially when nothing is being done by the law to curb the menace.

police rarely get involved in domestic violence. the churches usually ask the victims to persevere and stay in the marriage. this is not good enough. steps should be taken to punish the culprits.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by thorpido(m): 8:56am On Jun 17, 2015
coogar:

there's nothing wrong with the title, if the stats is as high as 50%, then one can conclude its a nation of wife beaters - especially when nothing is being done by the law to curb the menace.

police rarely get involved in domestic violence. the churches usually ask the victims to persevere and stay in the marriage. this is not good enough. steps should be taken to punish the culprits.
How do we know it's up to 50%?
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 8:56am On Jun 17, 2015
thorpido:
Yes,there are incidences of wife beating but how many compared with the general population?Marvellous.God spoke about her family.It's the same story with mine too,so where is the basis to conclude it's a nation of wife beaters?

You understand exactly what I was trying to say but they all read my comment with a negative mind...

The article makes sense though but the title. ....

rolled:

Do you live with your brother in law or you lived with your father in law
Say what you are very sure of
Really? undecided

That means every comment on this thread becomes invalid since I can't talk for my relatives, how much more those talking about friends?

Eehh, If I had said they all beat their wives, will you ask me same question? Learn to be more positive ohh?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by 5minsmadness: 8:57am On Jun 17, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Did you read my comment at all?? undecided undecided.. I only talked about what happens in MY OWN family. . undecided

Y'all are quoting me because I said no violence in my home, had it been the other way round, like saying yeah my dad beats my mum, my husband beats me et al nobody will doubt it or try to be negative about the comment.. And I didn't make the comment to present my family as all perfect and stuffs, so y'all quit quoting me biko...

Also, I made that comment without reading the write up, I read just the title.. but now, having read the article I think it actually makes sense, the writer has a good motive...

Meanwhile, onegai's analysis calls for concern. . 1 in every 3 marriages she knows has some form of violence. . Violence is really a cause for concern in Nigeria indeed..
Hehehe.
You finally bowed to pressure.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by coogar: 8:57am On Jun 17, 2015
thorpido:
How do we know it's up to 50%?

it would be close to 80%
if you consider verbal, physical, emotional, etc. our laws don't even have any form of punishment for marital räpe. can you beat that?
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by thorpido(m): 9:02am On Jun 17, 2015
MarvellousGod:
You understand exactly what I was trying to say but they all read my comment with a negative mind...

The article makes sense though but the title. ....

Really? undecided

That means every comment on this thread becomes invalid since I can't talk for my relatives, how much more those talking about friends?

Eehh, If I had said they all beat their wives, will you ask me same question? Learn to be more positive ohh?
I agree too that the article is objective and seeks to reduce cases of domestic violence but to say Nigeria is a nation of wife beaters is like saying Nigeria is a nation of drug pushers or online fraudsters.
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 9:04am On Jun 17, 2015
coogar:

it would be close to 80%
if you consider verbal, physical, emotional, etc. our laws don't even have any form of punishment for marital räpe. can you beat that?

I seriously doubt the prevalence of marital rape and physical abuse. These things are scarce. What we have may be a particular person being a serial/prolific abuser. But to say 50% of the population is reaching.

As for verbal and emotional abuse, can't really tell on that score.
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by coogar: 9:06am On Jun 17, 2015
Timbuktou:

I seriously doubt the prevalence of marital rape and physical abuse. These things are scarce. What we have may be a particular person being a serial/prolific abuser. But to say 50% of the population is reaching.

As for verbal and emotional abuse, can't really tell on that score.

everyone uses their mouth to fight in nigeria - that's standard procedure. marital rapê would not even be exposed as it's not even seen as a crime.
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 9:07am On Jun 17, 2015
I don't find the article objective. For instance, what has women trying to look sexy got to do with Nigeria being a country of wife-beaters? Are the Nigerian women the only ones who try to be sexy? Are Nigerian women even the world's sexiest? We know how much American women spend on cosmetics, is that an indicator of the US being a country of wife-beaters too, as in, the American society encourages wife battery?
Someone please help me out here.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 9:09am On Jun 17, 2015
coogar:

everyone uses their mouth to fight in nigeria - that's standard procedure. marital rapê would not even be exposed as it's not even seen as a crime.

I don't know of anyone who rapes their wife, if anything, touching their wives no longer has any appeal. Most men would just get a girlfriend or an olosho.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by thorpido(m): 9:10am On Jun 17, 2015
coogar:

it would be close to 80%
Nah,I don't agree with that figure.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 9:10am On Jun 17, 2015
5minsmadness:

Hehehe.
You finally bowed to pressure.
How? undecided.. Have I contradicted myself?

You expect me to say the article doesn't make sense? I don't understand y'all in this section..
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by coogar: 9:15am On Jun 17, 2015
Timbuktou:

I don't know of anyone who rapes their wife, if anything, touching their wives no longer has any appeal. Most men would just get a girlfriend or an olosho.

you would never know this cos it's not even considered as räpe. husband has the right to demand for sex from his wife & she must surrender her body regardless of her readiness or unreadiness. she doesn't even she's being raped. grin
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by babygirlfl: 9:21am On Jun 17, 2015
The common good of the nation is much better than the common good of one family. The article is talking about Nigeria as a whole and not one family. What we as a nation should be doing is fighting against domestic violence even when it's not happening in our homes. As far as somebody is suffering from domestic violence, something should be done about it.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by SAMBARRY: 9:24am On Jun 17, 2015
coogar:

you would never know this cos it's not even considered as räpe. husband has the right to demand for sex from his wife & she must surrender her body regardless of her readiness or unreadiness. she doesn't even she's being raped. grin

eww are you for real lipsrsealed

spits in disgust. Tufiaaaaaaaaa

so you will happily be thrusting in and out of a dry and unlubricated vqgyn@

Tufiaaaaaaaaa undecided
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 9:27am On Jun 17, 2015
coogar:

But if she surrenders it's no longer rape. Do you know how many times I've had to pound because I was requested to and not be I was interested? I consider it doing my duties, Mr. Coogar. I woke up one night to find my babe helpng herself to my manhood, I just lay there and let her have her fill. I didn't and don't consider myself raped. If she took out my car would that be theft?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by coogar: 9:27am On Jun 17, 2015
SAMBARRY:

Tufiaaaaaaaaa undecided

are you suffering from dyslexia?
which sentence in the comment you quoted mentioned me as happily thrusting in & out?

Timbuktou:

But if she surrenders it's no longer rape. Do you know how many times I've had to pound because I was requested to and not be I was interested? I consider it doing my duties, Mr. Coogar. I woke up one night to find my babe helpng herself to my manhood, I just lay there and let her have her fill. I didn't and don't consider myself raped. If she took out my car would that be theft?

surrendering isn't räpe!
every victim of rape must have surrendered - the key is consent. you are a man - you would always be ready for sex, so says the law. grin our law has no provision for a woman raping a man as well. cheesy

women are wired differently - so you cannot compare. there are 1 million & one reasons a woman may not want sex from her hubby and she shouldn't be forced to if she doesn't want it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 9:28am On Jun 17, 2015
SAMBARRY:

Tufiaaaaaaaaa undecided
Chai. See somebody's mother. Damn.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by coogar: 9:31am On Jun 17, 2015
Timbuktou:

Chai. See somebody's mother. Damn.

sambarry is a bush woman!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by SAMBARRY: 9:32am On Jun 17, 2015
coogar:

which sentence in the comment you quoted mentioned me as happily thrusting in & out?
I should be asking you that question.

Please define your statement by a married woman is expected to surrender for sex whether or not she's ready. Define what it means.
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by coogar: 9:35am On Jun 17, 2015
SAMBARRY:
I should be asking you that question.

Please define your statement by a married woman is expected to surrender for sex whether or not she's ready. Define what it means.

i was only explaining what the law of your country thinks about marital rape. a husband cannot rape his wife in nigeria - no such laws exist in our constitution. i am saying with such situations, women don't even know they are being raped cos such laws do not exist!

SAMBARRY:
Sharap there and answer the question i asked you

if you take time to read & follow discussion from the start, you wouldn't be talking nonsense. if you had followed the discussion from the start you would see i am against marital rape.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 9:35am On Jun 17, 2015
thorpido:
I agree too that the article is objective and seeks to reduce cases of domestic violence but to say Nigeria is a nation of wife beaters is like saying Nigeria is a nation of drug pushers or online fraudsters.
I wonder oo, calling Nigeria a nation of wife beaters is way overboard. .

Yeah, the article has some good points and violence still remains a cause for concern. .
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 9:37am On Jun 17, 2015
Timbuktou:

Awwwshhh shocked shocked grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by SAMBARRY: 9:37am On Jun 17, 2015
Ok so what does whether she is ready or not lipsrsealed

is it not the same thing as whether she likes it or not then speaking of women not capable of raping men i think I saw a thread Mr coogar created about 6wives raping their husband to death in Nigeria.then please and please when you are arguing argue with direction I hate blind argument
coogar:

surrendering isn't räpe!
every victim of rape must have surrendered - the key is consent. you are a man - you would always be ready for sex, so says the law. grin our law has no provision for a woman raping a man as well. cheesy

women are wired differently - so you cannot compare. there are 1 million & one reasons a woman may not want sex from her hubby and she shouldn't be forced to if she doesn't want it.
Re: Nigeria: A Nation Of Wife-beaters? by Nobody: 9:40am On Jun 17, 2015
coogar:

surrendering isn't räpe!

Hehehehe. Of course, she shouldn't be forced. If she says no and the man goes on anyway, that's rape. My point is she may not want to have sex but does so just to satisfy her man whether she's in the mood or not. I, for one, wouldn't go on to have sex with someone lying like a log, anyway. The schlong would shrink.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11)

Who Comes First - Husband Or Child? / Wife Asks Our Son To Beat Me Up Anytime We Quarrel —pastor Tells Court / Help! I Don't Know My Father. I Will Be 29 In Few Months

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.