Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,367 members, 7,853,643 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 08:44 PM

Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite - Culture (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite (48014 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 1:02pm On Mar 01, 2009
Ow11,

Dede1 is not even worth replying.

Later, when I have time I shall show why the battle for PH will forever cause conflict between Ijaw and Ndigbo.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 1:02pm On Mar 01, 2009
WTH? Ijaw people were slaves/servants who came with Europeans? Biggest joke of the day, where did you get that bullshit from?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 1:04pm On Mar 01, 2009
ijaw_girl:

WTH? Ijaw people were slaves/servants who came with Europeans? Biggest joke of the day, where did you get that bullshit from?

Label them as slaves, interlopers, recent migrants - to prepare Igbo minds for the time when they will steal Ijaw land.

It is an Imperialist tactic.

You don't know who you are dealing with - lets just say some Igbos are very complex. They pretend like we are brothers whilst all the while preparing to steal land.

Does Dede1 know the meaning of Opubo-Ama or even who Opubo is?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 1:15pm On Mar 01, 2009
Does Dede1 know the meaning of Opubo-Ama or even who Opubo is?

lol the guy is a fool, I am still trying to google out where he got his bs from

@dede1, srzly source ?
I don't know where to start from, speechless
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ow11(m): 1:23pm On Mar 01, 2009
Ibime:

Ow11,

Dede1 is not even worth replying.

Later, when I have time I shall show why the battle for PH will forever cause conflict between Ijaw and Ndigbo.

I didn't even bother with him. Udezue on the other hand accused me of ignorance when I said something along the lines of what Dede1 wrote. So i would like him to comment on the story as he seems to have a good idea about the history from an Igbo perspective.

ijaw_girl:

It is unimaginable to some how Ijaw people traded Igbo slaves just like how the English press couldn't understand how USA beat England 1-0 in the 1950 world cup and instead printed 10-0 for England. Since there was no press in those days, people would invent stories to prove the Ijaws were indeed the slaves.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 1:27pm On Mar 01, 2009
ijaw_girl:

@dede1, srzly source ?
I don't know where to start from, speechless

Don't even bother googling his nonsense.

Since he claims Ibani and Opubo-Ama were Igbo outposts, can he explain why the 'outposts' were big cities (with Opobo having reserves of £100,000.00) whilst the 'mainland' was still a collection of mud-hut and thatch-hut villages?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by dangermous: 1:30pm On Mar 01, 2009
What started as approachment between our Igbo and Ijaw brothers has since degenerated into somewhat of a lover's tiff. No, that would be err incestuous, errm, somewhat of a family tussle more like. Anyway if Igbos and Ijaws are brothers, it is obvious Yoruba and Hausas be una mama and papa.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ow11(m): 1:31pm On Mar 01, 2009
dangermous:

What started as approachment between our Igbo and Ijaw brothers has since degenerated into somewhat of a lover's tiff. No, that would be err incestuous, errm, somewhat of a family tussle more like. Anyway if Igbos and Ijaws are brothers, it is obvious Yoruba and Hausas be una mama and papa.

So what should we call people like you?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by dangermous: 1:34pm On Mar 01, 2009
Visionary comes to mind cheesy
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 3:54pm On Mar 01, 2009
This thread is gradually deviating.igbos and ijaws are highly related.why ijaws in the east look very different from bayelsa and delta ijaws is as a result of high igbo blood.many names that ijaws who have hardly entered inside igboland believe are exclusively ijaw does appear in igbo and have igbo meanings.oboama and umuokirika are in mbaise.the word 'ama' means either outpost or area in igbo.some igbos call it 'ogbe' or 'ogba'.in igboland ama occurs as much as it occurs in ijaw.mbiama(in orlu imo state) means 'end of area(boundary)' in igbo but might have ijaw meaning.amakama(in olokoro umuahia) means an 'area greater than others' in igbo but might have ijaw meaning.ubani is an ngwa(abia state) name and is extremely common there.opubo ama(he has not left area) in ngwa.masquarade is nwotam and i believe ijaws in opobo have their own version too.infact opobo culture has little difference with these three igbo groups ngwa,ndoki and asa.even the language i hear them speak at opobo(not central igbo) is thesame.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 4:24pm On Mar 01, 2009
I sent the last post to let those who didnt know that all those names occur in deep igboland not rivers igbo.another issue is the so-called land claim.we should note that in aba which is considered core igbo,there is a perceived antagonism between ngwas and other igbos whom they call ohuhu.ngwas feel marginalised in their own land for lots of reasons that i cant state.no ngwa man has occupied the seat of l.g.a chairman in aba north and south why?the answer is simple.non-indigenes far out number them there and nigerian government recognises them as part of igbo.that cannot happen in rivers state.an okrika man cant lead bonny even though they are ijaw.the land or oil claim is more of political weapon used in civil war.tell me has any anambra man gone to oguta to claim the oil there?has an akwette man gone to owaza to claim oil?has an elimgbu man gone to rukpokwu to claim oil?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ow11(m): 4:42pm On Mar 01, 2009
@Agbaworo

oboama and umuokirika are in mbaise

This would mean something If Okrika is what the people call themselves. It is actually Wakirike, Okrika is just a British mush-up version of the word Wakrike

Abagworo: opubo ama(he has not left area) in ngwa

Opubo- Ama means Opubo Town. Opubo literally means Big Man or Great person if you want to be more appropriate. It doesn't mean 'he has left the area' or anything of that sort.

There are many words in Ijaw and Igbo that would actually mean the same thing but I believe you can do same with Yoruba. Why is it impossible for neighbours to borrow words from one another? OR you just think that it is IMPOSSIBLE for Igbos to borrow words from Ijaw? If there are Igbo words in Ijaw, then they must be Igbo, very simplistic conclusion I would say.

This sentiment you have is just the crux of the matter. . . I have stated this in earlier posts and my thoughts are just being buttressed over and over again.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 5:06pm On Mar 01, 2009
@Abagworo

do you know they are bayelsa people that have igbo last names/Igbo sounding names? and we dont look different from people of the west,
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by doyin13(m): 5:17pm On Mar 01, 2009
Jeez, an igbo and ijaw confraternity. Doesn't look so good so far
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Afam4eva(m): 5:35pm On Mar 01, 2009
What crime did Ojukwu commit by saying that any tribe that was a minority in Nigeria will remain a minority in Biafra.

Why do u classify a tribe a minority? Is it not by population? The Ijaws that are claiming that they are the fourth largest Ethnic Group in Nigeria, they'll have to tell that to the Ibibios, Efiks, Urhobos, Idomas, Tivs etc. So how can so many tribes be majorities, don't u think it will cause another discord and may lead to another seccession, so it is only normal for the Igbos to be the only majority since they are by far the most populous.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 5:38pm On Mar 01, 2009
@ow11, i agree with u in many things but remember i never used those phrases as ijaw but igbo.i also pre-accepted their having different meanings.'orisa'(olisa) and 'kini'(gini) are two yoruba words that literally mean thesame thing in igbo.ijebu and ekiti(different tone though) also have igbo meanings.no igbo has ever claimed ijawland.never!why would an igbo do that?the issue is that igbos are very competetive and adventurous.an igbo can migrate as a slave and end up as master by out-performance.jaja is an obvious example.no igbo has claimed the next village not to talk of another ethnic group's land unless he bought it.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ow11(m): 5:56pm On Mar 01, 2009
afam4eva:

What crime did Ojukwu commit by saying that any tribe that was a minority in Nigeria will remain a minority in Biafra.

At that point, he didn't think it was a bad idea (many people in his shoes would do same) but history has shown it to be a bad one. It would be foolhardy for someone to use the same tactic that has failed in the past and expect a different result.

Abagworo:

@ow11, i agree with u in many things but remember i never used those phrases as ijaw but igbo.i also pre-accepted their having different meanings.'orisa'(olisa) and 'kini'(gini) are two yoruba words that literally mean thesame thing in igbo.ijebu and ekiti(different tone though) also have igbo meanings.no igbo has ever claimed ijawland.never!why would an igbo do that?the issue is that igbos are very competetive and adventurous.an igbo can migrate as a slave and end up as master by out-performance.jaja is an obvious example.no igbo has claimed the next village not to talk of another ethnic group's land unless he bought it.

Point taken! wink
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 5:57pm On Mar 01, 2009
@ijaw girl,i agree with you.ekpeye is the only group in the igbo family that is actually a different ethnic group.they are also found in bayelsa state.the problem with opobo and bonny is that igbo is a first language there.nobody has ever said eleme,okirika,ogoni,buguma,degema,ibibio,efik,isoko,urhobo is igbo,all these people have oil and access to sea.why then would they choose ikwerre,opobo and co?lets be logical for 1 minute.oron produces the most oil as a tribe in nigeria,why aren't igbos claiming them?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 6:01pm On Mar 01, 2009
Abagworo:

no igbo has claimed the next village not to talk of another ethnic group's land unless he bought it.

So answer the following questions definitely for me.

(1.) Is Opobo an Igbo or Ijaw land?

(2.) Where is the boundary between Igbo's and Ijaws in PH?

It is very important you answer Q2 correctly, otherwise, you may be considered a traitor to the future stability of your people.

Abagworo:

@ijaw girl,i agree with you.ekpeye is the only group in the igbo family that is actually a different ethnic group.they are also found in bayelsa state.the problem with opobo and bonny is that igbo is a first language there.nobody has ever said eleme,okirika,ogoni,buguma,degema,ibibio,efik,isoko,urhobo is igbo,all these people have oil and access to sea.why then would they choose ikwerre,opobo and co?lets be logical for 1 minute.oron produces the most oil as a tribe in nigeria,why aren't igbos claiming them?

Correction: English is a first language in all the tribes you mention. Igbo was a first language due to trade. Igbo was also the first language in Okrika, now its English.

I also hope you know that Ijaw-Girl is from Bonny. This information you guys have given her about Ibani being Igbos has completely collapsed her beleif system and sent her into shock.  grin

BTW, I never knew I was from Umuokirika till you told me so. I thought I was from Wakirike all this time.  grin grin grin

Ijaws must fight the aggressive renaming of their lands.

A name has never been a proof of ownership.

Do you know that we call Igbo land Osu-Ama?

By your logic, when we declare the Ijaw Republic, we shall be annexing all Igbo lands all the way up to Awka.

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by doyin13(m): 6:11pm On Mar 01, 2009
Ibime:

By your logic, when we declare the Ijaw Republic, we shall be annexing all Igbo lands all the way up to Awka.

Ijaw Republic. . .I like it walahi grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 6:22pm On Mar 01, 2009
uhmmm but the languages are becoming extinct

I must say that 90% of the Ibani youth that reside in the bonny town(biama) today cant speak igbo or any language
because of this, the Ibani is a compulsory subject in some bonny towns, like Ibime said English is our first language, very tru,

Once I see an Ijaw person, I see my brother or sister
our culture is the same from the Iriabo/ira/bibite ceremony(the Iria is the traditional coming-of-age ceremony for pubescent girls), from our rulers-Amanayabos, our masquerades, our names(Tamuno(most popular), Ibinabo, Tari, belema), fishing
the tradition of the war canoe house, alali oru( regatta boats) (They are backed by an impressive array of ancient canons that served in the effective defense of the City State and its expansive trade routes.)
our dressing,
our songs--all our songs are in Ijaw, our elders speak in Ijaw
our customs- Ijaw customs in general
the same for opobos, no difference

Bonny is mad up of four towns--Okoloma, Finima, Kalaibiama,Orubiri,  finima they speak the pure Ibani
bonny is just a name used to group  all the towns together

the last Kaiama declaration, Ijaw youth council was held in Kalaibiama and ereborokiri town in Opubo-ama(opobo)

1 Like

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by naijaking1: 6:31pm On Mar 01, 2009
@owb11
Don't trust anybody that comes on the pages of this thread and claims to know for sure what will or will not work, unless you're for example IBIME.
While I know that tribal congregations is not the answer to our problem, because it has not worked in places where it's been tried, I don't know for sure what's going to work.

It's easier to see what's not going to work, because the theory can easily be disproved. The problem of majority vs minority tribes is actually very global from Russia to US, from India/Pakistan to Africa. We certainly can't afford to make the mistake of replacing a bad system with a worse system again.

On the way forward? How about:
1. Honest and frank review of the past---we're doing that already
2. Mutual appreciation and respect for each other.
3. Life is a struggle, majority opinion wins, minority opinion is respected.
4. Who is a majority or a minority changes from time to time, and on any given issue.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Afam4eva(m): 6:33pm On Mar 01, 2009
Abagworo:

no igbo has ever claimed ijawland.never!why would an igbo do that?the issue is that igbos are very competetive and adventurous.an igbo can migrate as a slave and end up as master by out-performance.jaja is an obvious example.no igbo has claimed the next village not to talk of another ethnic group's land unless he bought it.

Thanks,
Igbos don't claim land that is not theirs, most of this lands that they are talking about were bought by their hard earned money.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by naijaking1: 6:49pm On Mar 01, 2009
Ibime:

So answer the following questions definitely for me.

(1.) Is Opobo an Igbo or Ijaw land?

(2.) Where is the boundary between Igbo's and Ijaws in PH?

It is very important you answer Q2 correctly, otherwise, you may be considered a traitor to the future stability of your people.

Correction: English is a first language in all the tribes you mention. Igbo was a first language due to trade. Igbo was also the first language in Okrika, now its English.

I also hope you know that Ijaw-Girl is from Bonny. This information you guys have given her about Ibani being Igbos has completely collapsed her beleif system and sent her into shock. grin

BTW, I never knew I was from Umuokirika till you told me so. I thought I was from Wakirike all this time. grin grin grin

Ijaws must fight the aggressive renaming of their lands.

A name has never been a proof of ownership.

Do you know that we call Igbo land Osu-Ama?

I have never seen anyone more obsessed with land, houses, property and boundaries the way you're. Igbo people are said to have more than 73% of the properties in Abuja today, does it make Abuja an Igbo city?
Igbos have legally acquired a lot of land in PH, why is that a problem for you?
If Igbos legally own and reside 90% of the houses in any part of PH, you could call that area Igbo. This happens all over the World, NYC has its famous China town, Chicago with its Polish town, don't forget Boston with it Itallian and Irish neighbourhoods. Even Enugu has Hausa sections, and nobody is scared of Enugu becoming an Hausa city.

Whether Opobo is an Ijaw or Igbo land is not important, the most important issue is whether the legal residents/occupants call themselves Ijaws or Igbos.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 6:54pm On Mar 01, 2009
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by naijaking1: 6:59pm On Mar 01, 2009
Guys: Wakirika, Okirika,Umuokoirka= same thing in Igbo; son of okirika.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 7:01pm On Mar 01, 2009
afam4eva:

Thanks,
Igbos don't claim land that is not theirs, most of this lands that they are talking about were bought by their hard earned money.

naijaking1:

I have never seen anyone more obsessed with land, houses, property and boundaries the way you're. Igbo people are said to have more than 73% of the properties in Abuja today, does it make Abuja an Igbo city?
Igbos have legally acquired a lot of land in PH, why is that a problem for you?
If Igbos legally own and reside 90% of the houses in any part of PH, you could call that area Igbo. This happens all over the World, NYC has its famous China town, Chicago with its Polish town, don't forget Boston with it Itallian and Irish neighbourhoods. Even Enugu has Hausa sections, and nobody is scared of Enugu becoming an Hausa city.

Whether Opobo is an Ijaw or Igbo land is not important, the most important issue is whether the legal residents/occupants call themselves Ijaws or Igbos.

Houses are occupied by people.

Lands and Roads are property of the State Government.

China owns nothing in UK except it's embassy.

Igbos are allowed to own as many houses as they wish, even 100% of the houses.

The only reason we try to identify what tribe owns what is because NO ONE believes in the future sustainability of Nigeria.

Igbos seem to be more obsessed with lands since they keep naming everything. There is a CONCERTED EFFORT on the part of Ndigbo leadership to create dispute in the minds of the people with all manner of folklore. This is with an eye to the future.

I am waiting for an Igbo man to provide an answer to Q2 since they keep talking about the 'blue sky' that they saw from afar.

We have records of what the British bought and we will accept that as evidence over any fables from our illiterate forefathers.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by naijaking1: 7:10pm On Mar 01, 2009
Ibime:

Houses are occupied by people.

Lands and Roads are property of the State Government.

China owns nothing in UK except it's embassy.

Igbos are allowed to own as many houses as they wish, even 100% of the houses.

The only reason we try to identify what tribe owns what is because NO ONE believes in the future sustainability of Nigeria.

Igbos seem to be more obsessed with lands since they keep naming everything. There is a CONCERTED EFFORT on the part of Ndigbo leadership to create dispute in the minds of the people with all manner of folklore. This is with an eye to the future.

I am waiting for an Igbo man to provide an answer to Q2 since they keep talking about the 'blue sky' that they saw from afar.

We have records of what the British bought and we will accept that as evidence over any fables from our illiterate forefathers.

My brother, I can't help you-o. You sound like somebody in a marriage who is actively prepearing for divorce instead of doing the right thing to save the marriage.
The boundary b/w Ijaw and Igbos? Ask the British.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ow11(m): 7:12pm On Mar 01, 2009
naijaking1:

Guys: Wakirika, Okirika,Umuokoirka= same thing in Igbo; son of okirika.

Wakirike does NOT mean son of Okirika as you think. Wakirike loosely means Our Land in the Ijaw language.I'm surprised Ibime missed that.

Do you guys ever want to admit anything? Why is it so important that the name of Ijaw towns in RV state are infact Igbo names that you would stoop so low to give meanings to non existent words in Igbo to prove your point?

Very soon Abonnema, Buguma and Bakana would have Igbo meanings abi? cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Afam4eva(m): 7:15pm On Mar 01, 2009
If there's any ethnic group that have laid claim to land that is not theirs, then it's the Ijaws, Most places they claim as theirs in present day Port-Hacourt where originally owned by Ikwerres who gave the river banks to them,since the only place they called home was the river, only for them to claim to most of the land.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by naijaking1: 7:24pm On Mar 01, 2009
ow11:

Wakirike does NOT mean son of Okirika as you think. Wakirike loosely means Our Land in the Ijaw language.I'm surprised Ibime missed that.

Do you guys ever want to admit anything? Why is it so important that the name of Ijaw towns in RV state are infact Igbo names that you would stoop so low to give meanings to non existent words in Igbo to prove your point?

Very soon Abonnema, Buguma and Bakana would have Igbo meanings abi? cheesy cheesy
I'll be glad if you had contradicted me by saying it meant a different thing in Ijaw. I told you what it meant in Igbo. I think the obsession with Ijawlizing Igbo names is a problem you people have. Now tell me the Ijaw meanings of Amechi, Nwuche(Wuche), Odili(Odiri, Odilichukwu), and Ebele(Ebere).
While I'm not personally from the riverine area, Igbos from that area, just like other tribes have a right to be named according to their own language and tradition.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 7:26pm On Mar 01, 2009
Ibime, Is creek road/area for Okrikas or Kalabaris?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (25) (Reply)

N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others / Who Is Superior Between Alaafin Of Oyo And The Ooni Of Ife??? / A Brief Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.