Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,512 members, 7,826,936 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:47 PM

Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite - Culture (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite (47767 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by RichyBlacK(m): 10:49pm On Mar 02, 2009
Ibime,

If you like talk from now till tomorrow, you can't deny the Igbo blood flowing through your veins. grin

You're Igbo!
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by grafikdon: 11:00pm On Mar 02, 2009
Yes o. . . Ibime is "Omo Ibo" alias "Nna Bros" a.k.a "Okoro Man" grin tongue
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 11:01pm On Mar 02, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Ibime,

If you like talk from now till tomorrow, you can't deny the Igbo blood flowing through your veins. grin

You're Igbo!

Damn! What a shame! grin

Ibime is Igbo/Etche/Ijaw/English/Dutch.

Some confuse him for a tribalist. grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by grafikdon: 11:04pm On Mar 02, 2009
Ibime:

Damn! What a shame!  grin

Ibime is Igbo/Etche/Ijaw/English/Dutch.

Some confuse him for a tribalist.  grin

You're Igbetchijengdu. . .  grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Nobody: 11:52pm On Mar 02, 2009
So have Igbo and Ijaw united or are they still playing the "he stole my candy" card?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by bawomolo(m): 1:14am On Mar 03, 2009
Ibima na chameleon o. Nairaland amoeba, man wey no get one tribe grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by RichyBlacK(m): 1:42am On Mar 03, 2009
grafikdon:

Yes o. . . Ibime is "Omo Ibo" alias "Nna Bros" a.k.a "Okoro Man"  grin tongue

I can just picture him with his white Ijaw cap and trouser-cover-belle Aba trousers! grin grin

Ibime, do not deny your Igbo roots, it's okay to be part of Ndi-Igbo, okay, no fear anybody! grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by naijaking1: 2:00am On Mar 03, 2009
@Rickyblack
Welcome back jo-o, I almost don give up for these people.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by naijaking1: 4:39am On Mar 03, 2009
These people!
Everybody has cousins from the wrong side of the family. You help them, help them, and help them even more; yet the more you help the more they demand.
Ironically, they never look to see how they can help you, instead, they seek to hold you bondage just because of your blood relationship with them.
Who would believe that despite the atrocious mistakes of Adaka Boro and Saro-Wiwa(that got them killed) somebody would stand up to argue as if this is 1967, and the Ijaws have another opportunity to sell out their eastern Nigerian cousins by joing with invading federal forces again.
Only in Nigeria.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Dede1(m): 5:26am On Mar 03, 2009
Ibime:

Ama = Town

Nyanabo = Councillor

WTF does Ama Onye Ana Abo mean in Igbo?

Kalabaris history is well known.

They used to live in present day Calabar, after migrating from Delta area. They subsequently moved from Calabar to Rivers State where they presently live.

Till today, Calabar is named after them after a misspelling by the Portuguese.

Kalabari are known as very fierce warriors. Igbo people in Haiti can attest to that. grin grin grin

I know your knowledge of history is in bad shape but did not know that your geography is also horrible.

Let me get the facts straight. Did you mean that Ijo people paddled from present day Ondo, passed where the River Niger entered the Atlantic Ocean and settled in Calabar? All of sudden, they realized that they read the compass wrongly and paddled back to River Niger estuary.

The Portuguese had no hand in the misspelling of Calaber to Kalabari. The fact remains that Portuguese landed to the place know as Calabar and named it “Calberia”. However, it was changed to “Calabar” by the English who subsequently named the River Niger Estuary as “New Calabar”. I am not surprised that Ijo kings or the Igbo who became kings among the Ijo people changed it to Kalabari.

Please do not let those Ijo kings who are trying very had to become English men grasp the fact that you have reduced them to ordinary "town councilor". I have provided you with certain names that founded Elem-Kalabari, Bile, ruled Ubani and founded Opobo. There is no doubt that they were Ndigbo, slaves or not. Mind you that Ndigbo also made the decisions too.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 5:48am On Mar 03, 2009
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 5:54am On Mar 03, 2009
So why did Ijaw leave all the land from Ondo, Morocco, and Calabar to settle on water grin

Ibime makes it seem like other ethinc groups had no land and were homeless and the Ijaw offered them land and moved into the creeks. hhmmmm how wonderful. I wonder why they now (Ibimes) care so much about every piece of land from Ondo to PH grin
Next he'll start telling us Enugu was given as a gift to the wawa ppl by Ijaw people. Ibime abeg stop being silly.

Time to stop thinking like primitive men. Wherever u find urself is what u are. We don't need to go back and trace that oh oh "Nnobi ppl came from Bini coz they were fleeing whatever. U are now Nnibo Igbo grin, the common Bini man don't give a shit bout that grin neither does the Yoruba give a hoot bout Ijaw cominh from Ife lol. People migrate abeg. Wherelse did Ijaw come from b4 Ife. Are u gonna travel there and start fighting for land and forests?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 6:05am On Mar 03, 2009
Ijo people changed it to Kalabari.

The name Kalabari was derived from their ancestor Kalabari or Perebo Kalabari who was the grandson of MEIN OWEI
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 6:30am On Mar 03, 2009
Bia ika Ijaw girl mechie ki eze ule ki and boogie to da beat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORfJwR50WZg
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 6:37am On Mar 03, 2009
hmmm I see you love Ijaw music
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 6:54am On Mar 03, 2009
hehe are u surprised?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by naijaking1: 7:30am On Mar 03, 2009
Ijaw-girl and Udezue: I smell love in the air. I can just see the two of you swinging to that Ijaw music cheesy
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ow11(m): 8:18am On Mar 03, 2009
Nice to see tempers have calmned down!
Let me re-ignite them, grin grin

For all our Igbo cousins especially Udezue, you can begin to learn Ijaw

www.ijawdictionary.com
www.kalabari-dictionary.org

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phTETkwgP6I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/flash]

Some history lessons people, do not rely on Ibime alone to provide them. Go here and read the PDF file http://www.ijawdictionary.com/menu/ijawhistory.php

I would like Dede1 to critique this PDF file and point out possible errors if any. Since he believes current Ijaw land was founded by Igbos but marauding  sea dwellers came to claim it and mingled with the Indigenous Igbos to form the Ijaw tribe.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Dede1(m): 8:37am On Mar 03, 2009
ijaw_girl:

Ijo people changed it to Kalabari.

The name Kalabari was derived from their ancestor Kalabari or Perebo Kalabari who was the grandson of MEIN OWEI

I will urge you to left your lazy arse off the Wikipedia and seek out books written by authors without ulterior motives.

Nwananaku(Amakiri Oboko) Ikwerre town of Obu Amafo led the Endeme( claimed ancestral lineage to Mein) of Ogobiri Clan to Owame –New Calabar later changed to Elem-Kalabari under King Kamalu.

In fact, one of the King Kamalu’s sons, the powerful King Agbonye Ejike, founded the town of Bile town also of Kalabari.

Please quit reading craps that had been twisted out of the original form and then posted on Wiki.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ow11(m): 8:43am On Mar 03, 2009
Dede1:

I will urge you to left your lazy arse off the Wikipedia and seek out books written by authors without ulterior motives.

Nwananaku(Amakiri Oboko) Ikwerre town of Obu Amafo led the Endeme( claimed ancestral lineage to Mein) of Ogobiri Clan to Owame –New Calabar later changed to Elem-Kalabari under King Kamalu.

In fact, one of the King Kamalu’s sons, the powerful King Agbonye Ejike, founded the town of Bile town also of Kalabari.

Please quit reading craps that had been twisted out of the original form and then posted on Wiki.

Why should we believe you or your sources are not free of ulterior motives?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 9:52am On Mar 03, 2009

excuze me, any Kalabari man will tell you that, thats so easy- PEREBO-KALAKEBARI(thats the real name)
And why should I believe anything you say, when you said Ijaw were slaves/servants who came with Europeans?
Whats wrong with you?
Pls provide yr sources? post it here, your scared?

okay you can say anything you want to say abt klbari, just dont bring that bs when it comes to Ibeni History
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Lagosboy: 11:33am On Mar 03, 2009
But what shall we achieve by all these ijaw this ibo that , efik betrayed ,hausa opressed bla bla bla. We are all Nigerians and we should see ourselves as that. The history we are looking at many of us never contributed to and we should have a diferent mentality to our parents who are damn tribal. Ijaws should not unite with ibo but Nigerians must unite as a whole and together fight evil in our country.

If there is one thing that all Nigerians are united on and no one tribe is better than the other it is stealing of public funds. So therefore, Nigerians should unite as well and fight this evil as a whole and not based on decentralised synergies of tribes.

Just my own take on the issue.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 6:43pm On Mar 03, 2009
Why cant we have an igbo,ijaw,urhobo,efik,legbo or ogoni president in nigeria?the answer lies in our inability to unite.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by SpiralEx(m): 7:46pm On Mar 03, 2009
@ Asha 80 and Co
the Opobos speak two major languages . . IGBO and Ubani!
I know someone who is a direct descendant of King Jaja of Opobo and speaks IGBO better than i do. All the Opobo people i know speak igbo extra-fluently. Their Igbo is even more similar to core igbo than that of the Ikwerres.
Come to think of it . . .Jaja of Opoba was an Igbo slave who went to the Island of Opobo and founded a new nation because of the jealousy of the people (due to his success) in the land where he broke out of slavery.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jaja_of_opobo

The Ikwerres are on the other hand igbos who decided willfully . . not out of migration or natural occurence over a long time . . .to disconnect themselves from igbos because of the stigma associated to igbos after the war.
After the war, every igbo account holder's deposits were reduced by a government order to a mere N20. As such ikwerres, quickly dissociated (in a cowardly manner) from the igbos not knowing that in a mere 30 year the igbos will rise to dominate the economy of the sam nation where they were left with N20.
Ask an Ikwerre man what RUMUIGBO, RUMUOLA, RUMUCHUKWU means, he cane tell you it makes meaning in "ikwerre" language. Those places were UMUIGBO, UMUOLA, UMUCHUKWU etc
Cowards who were trying to lick the asses of the nigerian side to gain favour . . . not knowing that the sam Nigerian side will turn around to kill their stateman Saro Wiwa!
I will rather Unite as an igbo with Ijaws, Opobos, Ibibios, Efik etc .than with an Ikwerre man! Simple!
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 8:04pm On Mar 03, 2009
I asked about the Opobo thing because i watched a documentary of the people there around a week ago.To be honest with you those guys where speaking 'Undiluted' igbo.When i mean undiluted you do not hear an english word in between or engligbo unlike what occurs in present south east geographical area.The dialect of igbo they spoke is similar to the one been spoken in the present Njaba,Nkwerre and Isu axis of imo state.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ellyptical: 8:22pm On Mar 03, 2009
My Sister,
Ther person who replied you is not from Opobo.
The Opobos admit being of Igbo Origin. They do not deny it and they celebrate their king jaja a lot. His statue is a everywhere in their town. And guess what, they even know his real original igbo name (before the British men shortend it to ja-ja). They even know the town in Igboland he is from.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 8:51pm On Mar 03, 2009
An Opobo man is proud to be associated with Ndigbo just like I am proud of my Igbo roots - it is all in friendship. But start an Ijaw vs Igbo debate and argue over their ethnicity and it is a different story. Of everyone on this thread, maybe one or two have bumped into an Opobo man. I grew up with Opobo people, Andrew-Jajas and such. Infact I was in love with one beautiful Opobo girl in secondary school. Opobo people are well known Ijaw-philes. Lest we forget, 16 Ibani houses make up present day Opobo. That is why they have an Amanyanabo, not an Eze or Igwe.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ChinenyeN(m): 9:00pm On Mar 03, 2009
asha 80:

I asked about the Opobo thing because i watched a documentary of the people there around a week ago.To be honest with you those guys where speaking 'Undiluted' igbo.When i mean undiluted you do not hear an english word in between or engligbo unlike what occurs in present south east geographical area.The dialect of igbo they spoke is similar to the one been spoken in the present Njaba,Nkwerre and Isu axis of imo state.
What's the name of the documentary? I'd like to get to watch it.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 9:07pm On Mar 03, 2009
I cannot remeber now.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by bawomolo(m): 9:10pm On Mar 03, 2009
is it available on the internet? i hope you remember the name
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ChinenyeN(m): 9:42pm On Mar 03, 2009
asha 80:

I cannot remeber now.
Okay. That's fine. If you can tell me the channel, and provider/organization that did the documentary, then I could start from there.

bawomolo:

is it available on the internet? i hope you remember the name
Yeah, that's what I've got in mind to do. I plan on seeing if I can find it online.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 9:54pm On Mar 03, 2009
it was actually NTA program.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (25) (Reply)

Bini Insults! / Who Is Superior Between Alaafin Of Oyo And The Ooni Of Ife??? / Badirat Olaitan-adeyemi Donates To School For The Handicap In Oyo (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.