Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,164 members, 7,842,345 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 06:41 AM

Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite - Culture (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite (47927 Views)

Intersting Facts About The Kalabari Ijaws Of Rivers State (PICTURES) / Warri- The Urhobos, The Itsekiris And The Ijaws : Facts And Factlets. / An Insight Into The Ijaws Of South South Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (25) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 10:38am On Mar 02, 2009
@udezue. that mindset is frustrating and based on lies told later generations by unwise parents.i dont know the gain.is it oil?how many of them own oil wells.why cant someone dream of success and property acquisition but rather depend on property seizure and inheritance from parents?why would someone plan with oil?we have oil in my hometown but i cant recall any oil worker kidnapped or even harassed.some may ask how many wells?the answer is 30 wells.do i work in an oil company?do i live there?do i deny my heritage?do we demand that only our townsmen do all the contracts?do we harass non-indigenes?do we even notice the oil?little is known about marching grant in the village.why cant all our ijaws of igbo origin prove themselves and revive the igbo in them and acquire lands in p.h.,aba,owerri,calabar,lagos,abuja,london,cotonou and focus less on the oil,land and water at the village.they believe just by 'hear say' that igbos are their enemy.if ijaw people had bought half of the land in aba problems for no dey.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 10:58am On Mar 02, 2009
It is an asinine comment to state that Ijaws need to 'revive the Igbo' in them and get back to hard work. Is hard work the preserve of the Igbo? When Ijaw city-states were flourishing during the palm oil trade, were they not working hard then? When they ride their canoes and go fishing in hard terrain, is it easy work? When they paddle for 5 hours just to find an island to settle, is it a piece of cake? To suggest that hardwork is a genetic trait is wholly misleading.

It is NEVER about property. FYI, Ijaws own property too, even in Ikwerre lands.

It is about forests, rivers, streams, natural environment which Ndigbo are trying to claim with all sorts of fables!

You think I am waiting for derivation from oil-field from home? And OW11 nko? And Ijaw-girl nko?

The fishermen whose livelihoods have been destroyed are the ones who deserve education, proper infrastructure etc so that their children can find alternative occupations, not a city slicker like me.

There is no civilised country where indigenous rights are not respected. We demand the same, but Biafrans keep acting like Barbarians - "Nna, let us use your resources, shebi we are brothers?" Hell No!

You will pay just like Scotland get paid for North Sea Oil, like Texas and Louisiana, like Panama and Egypt.

If we fight Nigeria over it, we will not accept the same from Biafra.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 11:17am On Mar 02, 2009
Look at the idiot. If u are calling us barbarians then u are equally one. Aint u part Igbo? Ode.

You have the guts to call any barbaric when Ijaw ppl are the ones doing the slaughtering from Ondo, Warri to PH. Kindly shut the fuk up. Paranoid fool. U can tell Igbos are trying to steal ur stinking forests but you couldn't see that when Hausa and Yoruba ppl cornered ur dumb asses? Point blank Nigerian Ijaw leaders gambled their lives away and its a damn shame that their actions now affects the whole ethnic and even the East that they betrayed for a few houses in PH. Come on how dumb can ur leaders be? When u got control of Rivers and then now got Bayelsa, what the hell did u do? Bayelsa aint got shit to show for all the oil wealth u like love to scream about like as if oil is only found in ur land. Are u gonna tell me that Igbos are now in control of Bayelsa? Point blank PH saw huge economic growth under the leadership of Eastern region. PH was growing b4 your Ijaw leaders introduced hateful ethnic politics and stealing of people's land. Like fools you drove people who could had a lot to contribute just coz of ur fear that some fuking creek will fall under Igbo control. What nonsense? Go to Calabar and you'll see they are growing because of their friendlier attitude towards neighbors and migrants from other places contributing to their economy. Ur obsession with freaking land and waterway makes you seem so bush and uneducated.

Define the word barbaric.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 11:22am On Mar 02, 2009
Nna, lack of comprehension dey worry you.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 11:24am On Mar 02, 2009
Ewu I said define barbaric.
U dey words wey u no fit understand the meaning. Fool use the right word at the right time if not just be quiet. Local champion.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 11:30am On Mar 02, 2009
This Udezue has a lot of fire in his belly.

If he had noticed, I had largely ignored him on this thread cos I knew of his penchant for hotheadedness.

I don't like arguing with people who blow gasket anytime someone offends their tribal sensitivity.

So far on this thread, people have called Ijaws slaves, lazy drunks, canoe people, interlopers etc but every reaction of mine is measured. I wonder if Udezue is one of those internet thugs.  grin grin grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by udezue(m): 11:34am On Mar 02, 2009
I said define Barbaric.

Before using certain words know the meaning and how it relates to ur argument.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 11:52am On Mar 02, 2009
Barbarian means many things my friend.

For all you know, Barbarian could just be an inference to the Germanic tribes of the early centuries of the Roman Empire.

In the context, I used it in, barbarian means someone who refuses to follow internationally accepted codes of conduct. In that sense, we could call Nigeria a barbaric country.

Dont worry, I understand that Igbos like to trade where there are no barriers to entry. Perhaps it would be more apt if I described them as 'disciples of the free market'. Accept my apologies.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 12:22pm On Mar 02, 2009
@ibime.you are deviating.i strongly quote that igbos supply most of nigerias oil.the offshore is nobodys.its continental.nobody goes to sea as his home period.so stop claiming oil because igbos actualy have it under their soil but are not crazy over oil.what i'm talking about is that ijaws should try and start travelling out and studying.start trading and be less dependent on oil.own their own gas stations.employ their brothers.stop making their land economically unattractive.igbos from imo have little land and yet own a lot of land outside their home state.40% of landed properties in aba are owned by imo indigenes.why cant ijaws acquire 20% of owerri or even 10% of calabar and leave their villages.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 12:23pm On Mar 02, 2009
@ibime.you are deviating.i strongly quote that igbos supply most of nigerias oil.the offshore is nobodys.its continental.nobody goes to sea as his home period.so stop claiming oil because igbos actualy have it under their soil but are not crazy over oil.what i'm talking about is that ijaws should try and start travelling out and studying.start trading and be less dependent on oil.own their own gas stations.employ their brothers.stop making their land economically unattractive.igbos from imo have little land and yet own a lot of land outside their home state.40% of landed properties in aba are owned by imo indigenes.why cant ijaws acquire 20% of owerri or even 10% of calabar and leave their villages.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 12:41pm On Mar 02, 2009
Tamuno o geez see insults, Please its not that serious
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 1:22pm On Mar 02, 2009
@ijaw girl.never meant to insult anyone.the point i'm trying to make is applicable to nigeria at large.dependence on oil is suicidal.i'm just concerned about ijaws case because the leaders are lying to their masses and they believe whole heartedly that the only way to survive is by bunkering or getting paid without working in an oil company.the youth president is a lucrative post.why?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by doyin13(m): 1:27pm On Mar 02, 2009
Na wa for naija oo.

I think this thread simply shows there can never be any basis for unity between any tribes however their geographical proximity
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 1:39pm On Mar 02, 2009
@Abagworo I wasnt referring to you

I will come back later and say what I feel abt dependency on oil and Militarization but I cant do that now, I have to attend my bio lab
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Dede1(m): 1:41pm On Mar 02, 2009
I am not interested what transpired and efforts engendered to twist the daylight out of certain person’s and village's names as to either suit colonial masters or certain hidden agendas put in motion by misguided cretins.

The words Opu, Ama, Obu and Abo in particular and others in general were Igbo words. The Opu is door or road while Ama is compound. The Obu or Obi is house and Abo is act of clearing as in clearing the farm, roads or person’s compound of weeds.  There was a title prominent in old Opu obu, Ubani (anglicized Bonny), Elem and Okirika.  I would want these loudmouthed punks to proffer what is the symbolism of “Amanyenabo”

Few contributors have labeled my assertions as flawed elementary history. However, I do believe that it is lack of elementary history, flawed or not, that is generating their unwanted imbecilic distortion of facts as in this case.

Be mindful that it is not only in Ijo land that names of persons or places have been twisted or anglicized to suit colonial masters. The differences between the Ijo and Igbo are that the former is in denial of itself or had ulterior agenda.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 1:44pm On Mar 02, 2009
loooooooooooooooooooool dede1 you crack me up lmao grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Nobody: 1:46pm On Mar 02, 2009
doyin13:

Na wa for naija oo.

I think this thread simply shows there can never be any basis for unity between any tribes however their geographical proximity

There can be unity, even a perfect one at that.
But it can only be achieved when there are effective and efficient agencies that can hold any miscreant responsible for his/her ill move; be it the president, the barrow pushers or almajiri jihadists.

Its no rocket science, unless nigerians are not yet tired of playing the ostrich every now and then.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 1:55pm On Mar 02, 2009
There is no need to discuss anymore.

This thread was completely derailed when Abagworo started talking about Ijaws needing to go to school and bla bla bla, using social problems to define the characteristics of a tribe.

Agitation for rights and respect is a new phenomenom in Ijaw land, although the intellectual classes have been engaged in it for decades.

Of course Abagworo will not be best pleased by the proliferation of kidnapping which is rapidly spreading to Imo and the South East and will not shy from giving us a discourse on the merits of the "Bakassi boy" syndrome which is gaining ground in the South East just like it did in the South-South. The fact that Nigerian society is degenerating is no excuse to label a tribe facetiously. South-South today, South-East tomorrow!

Perhaps, he may have seen the recent statistics which show Rivers State to be leading the rest of the country in education. How does this fit in with his sisters assertion that Ijaws and Riverine Igbos are lazy drunks?

Of course, Abagworo cannot tell us if we travel or not since we are small in number and will not be noticed even if we did travel. Besides, it is well known that traditionally, PH has been a pleasant city to live in and we have seen no need to travel within Nigeria unless we are going abroad. Maybe Abagworo would like to tell me what my grandmother was doing in London in the 1960's working for the Nigerian embassy whilst his forebears were still telling concocted fables about Igwe Ocha that only hold weight with the slow of thought. Perhaps he can also tell me why many of my cousins are here and visit me from Naija regularly since we don't travel.

If Abagworo had also cared to look at UN edicts, he would see that off-shore oil belongs to countries within 250 nautical miles of the oilfield. Indigenous rights also allow any community within 70 miles of such fields to derive revenue from it. By his logic, USA can also come and drill for oil on the Atlantic coast since it isn't 'under Nigerias soil'. Perhaps he neglects the fact that it is not his rivers that will be polluted and his livelihood destroyed. He neglects the fact that Ijaws traditionally live and die by the river and have no land to farm on. For a son of Oru, his rantings are very unpalatable.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 1:56pm On Mar 02, 2009
ijaw_girl:

loooooooooooooooooooool dede1 you crack me up lmao grin

The guy is real funny. I wonder if he thinks we are taking him serious. grin grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Dede1(m): 2:35pm On Mar 02, 2009
Ibime:

The guy is real funny. I wonder if he thinks we are taking him serious. grin grin

@Ibi

Please do not quit because this discourse is getting fundamental and straight to the roots of the beginning of this Ijo crap.

Whether the likes of you take me serious or not, I will teach you the history of the ancestral places and persons you are foolishly claiming.

For example, Ubani (Bonny) and from the great Kings of Ubani (Bonny) such as:

Alagbaria

Okpara Ndoli

Opu Amakubu ( Opu ama ka obu)

Okpara Asimini

Perekule (anglicized Pepple) Sons: Fubara and Opu obu

Allison Nwoju (Igbo slave who became King of Bonny)

Please choose the one to discuss but first, enlighten us on the issue of (Ama Onye Ana Abo)

Today’s Opobo is neither Ijo nor Igbo land but Ikot Abasi land founded by Igbo slaves tuned royalists and ordinary Ijo as in Jubo Jubogha aka King Jaja, Ichie Obomanu, Peterside and Oko Jombo (Cookey).
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Abagworo(m): 3:24pm On Mar 02, 2009
@ibime remember when i made mention of this problem beign nation wide.its that same reason that made nigerian states wait monthly for allocation from oil.so dont get mad at me.what i keep talking about is the issue of land.one must not be restricted to a particular area.you can find your destiny somewhere else.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by tpia: 5:07pm On Mar 02, 2009
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 5:22pm On Mar 02, 2009
Dede1:

Alagbaria

Okpara Ndoli

Opu Amakubu ( Opu ama ka obu)

Okpara Asimini

Perekule (anglicized Pepple) Sons: Fubara and Opu obu

Allison Nwoju (Igbo slave who became King of Bonny)

Please choose the one to discuss but first, enlighten us on the issue of (Ama Onye Ana Abo)

Discuss them one by one in descending order. grin

Also, I would like to hear your Amanyanabo = Ama Onye Ana Abo theory! wink
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ow11(m): 5:25pm On Mar 02, 2009
tpia:

this Dede1 na hot cake wey everybody dey find. undecided  cheesy

how many of us are struggling for this guy nah.

His history lessons are so bogus that it is quite difficult to respond to. You just laugh it off grin grin

His lessons reminds me of the spat between Kiwi992 and Quotasyste on the thread https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-161857.416.html. Anyone who's interested in the history of this Igbo/Ijaw spat and wants more information can visit that thread from pages 15 to 16. I think the same issues were also flogged on those pages.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by asha80(m): 6:03pm On Mar 02, 2009
Where the hell is quota system? grin that guy was something else.*although tribalistic*
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by chei: 7:23pm On Mar 02, 2009
Why should they unite? are they the same?
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Dede1(m): 8:45pm On Mar 02, 2009
Ibime:

Discuss them one by one in descending order. grin

Also, I would like to hear your Amanyanabo = Ama Onye Ana Abo theory! wink

Ibime

My friend, it was your choice to pitch your tenet wherever you saw fit and you exercised that prerogative with Ijo. I am very happy for you because you could not have gone wrong with either Igbo or Ijo as you did.

Since you know you have alleged that you know Ijo better than I do, I would want you to educate us on this issue of dynasty with regards to the Ubani (Bonny) kings as enumerated.

You and I know very well that a typical Ijo family lived on boats or canoes anchored off a structure onshore. The terrain in riverine swamp is hellish and highland is very hard to secure for inhabitants of the canoe houses. When eventually a highland is secured, a structure was erected on the land and it usually belonged to the chiefs and heads of canoe houses. There is doubt that the heads and chiefs of these canoe houses were occasionally chosen as kings.

The entire families of the canoe houses make sure that roads and compounds leading to the structure constructed for chiefs and heads of the canoe houses are kept clean because of the caliber of people that usually pay the chiefs homage. As evidential by the recorded events, the heads or leaders of these canoe houses became the kings of these city states like Elem, Bile, Nembe, Ubani, Okirika, Bakana, Degama etc. Now, I hope you have gotten my drift about Ama Onye Ana Abu.

Even if other structures for the commoners would spring around kings dwelling structures, it should not burdened upon the shoulders of the entire communities to keep them clean as in the case of the King.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Dede1(m): 9:08pm On Mar 02, 2009
ow11:

His history lessons are so bogus that it is quite difficult to respond to. You just laugh it off grin grin

His lessons reminds me of the spat between Kiwi992 and Quotasyste on the thread https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-161857.416.html. Anyone who's interested in the history of this Igbo/Ijaw spat and wants more information can visit that thread from pages 15 to 16. I think the same issues were also flogged on those pages.

Which of the history's planks are you not agreeing with me? There is no question the Kalabari is New Calabar even a suckling type like you would want us to believe otherwise. If there is anything I had to give up to those people marauding as Ijo, it must be their ability to twist original names out of its originality.

Are you still in shock the Elem-Kalabari is founded by Nwanneaku (Amakiri Oboko) who migrated from Ikwerre town of Obu Amafo? I speak the history that the town Elem-ama was ruled by King Kamalu. And his son, King Agbonye Ejike founded the town of Bile.

Like I rightfully informed my friend Ibime that Opu obu (Opobo), prior to 1870, was neither Ijo nor Igbo land but Qua Ibo. At least, it was founded by Igbo sons.
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 9:42pm On Mar 02, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin

Dede1 nor go kill pesin o!
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 10:03pm On Mar 02, 2009
Nwananku = Amakiri Oboko

lol dede1
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by Ibime(m): 10:13pm On Mar 02, 2009
Ama = Town

Nyanabo = Councillor

WTF does Ama Onye Ana Abo mean in Igbo?

Kalabaris history is well known.

They used to live in present day Calabar, after migrating from Delta area. They subsequently moved from Calabar to Rivers State where they presently live.

Till today, Calabar is named after them after a misspelling by the Portuguese.

Kalabari are known as very fierce warriors. Igbo people in Haiti can attest to that. grin grin grin
Re: Why Igbos And Ijaws Must Unite by ijawgirl: 10:21pm On Mar 02, 2009
@dede1

Okay whats "Amassoma" in igbo?

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (25) (Reply)

N1M Bride Price List Including 10k For Father's Cigarette, 20K Bush Meat, Others / Who Is Superior Between Alaafin Of Oyo And The Ooni Of Ife??? / Emir Sanusi & Ooni Of Ife Attend Graduation Ceremony Of Sanusi's Daughter In UK

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.