Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,926 members, 7,814,118 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:08 AM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (120) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (545733 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by RufusUzoma(m): 10:45am On Aug 26, 2010
@superbrain, could you please some answers 2 my question?
@ house, i dey beg una, make una giv me some answers 2 my question wey dey stated above,
I BEG!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 10:46am On Aug 26, 2010
Yes, it is his final score.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 10:54am On Aug 26, 2010
@ HOUSE,I am here again,i have gotten over the last interview,infact alot of thanks to superbrain and other all members who consoled me like senior AK47,Bomly and all the rest.That is not the end of the world,i take that as fate,My new interview date is 9th september,i have with me now the print out of the emails i exchanged with my would be research professors at CSUB,The CAC of my dad company and deeds of Memorandum showing i am a Director as well as a Geologist.I am also going to follow Superbrain advice about telling the consular about my research and how most of the profs in other unis are not in that line and also how to return back home to come take a senior position and creat a new department of Petroleum Data Analysis in the company(with my knowledge)Thus improving the company's profile and also make the company one of the ten indigineous oil companies in the petroleum sector.
N.B:Data Analysis are mostly carried out in foreign countries,Datas are taken here in Nigeria and sent Abroad for interpretation and analysis, I think this is a strong point.But,if there is anybody with more points for me,i will kindly appreciate it.Please,House always remember me and please let me know your suggestions and advises.
@Rufusuzoma,Your GPA cant be more than 3.0,all i know is that 2.1 here is 3.0(WES Evaluation).You can pay the wes fees at www.wes.org.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by djunit1(m): 11:32am On Aug 26, 2010
I greet the house, I am gradually settling down,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 11:52am On Aug 26, 2010
@ RufusUzoma, Did your school request that you evaluate your transcripts through WES? If they didn't then don't bug yourself. But if they did, then go to WES website and see the application procedures. It costs about $180 or so. You will have to mail them your transcript, then also request that they send it to your intended school. All these information is available on their website. Google it up. About your G.P.A. If don't think it will be more than 2.8/4.0 so target schools that accept such. Many times, your last 60 hours of undergraduate course-work determines the evaluated GPA.

@ OjaP, you're good to go. Keep absorbing every detail about your research and it's impact on the family business when you return. I'm glad your spirit is "gingered".
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 12:05pm On Aug 26, 2010
@Superbrain,Are you sure the school will give me a letter for a new resumption date?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by kwizzy212: 12:07pm On Aug 26, 2010
Ojap broda plz I sent you my result did you see it
superbrain I am goin thru it broda I add u to my yim ttyl
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 12:09pm On Aug 26, 2010
superbrain,what is your email?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 1:37pm On Aug 26, 2010
New letter for resumption? Don't know about that. What date were you supposed to resume? Drop your email so I can beep you.

@ kwizzy212, beeping you on ym but you're not responding.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 2:20pm On Aug 26, 2010
Thanks superbrain.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by charleskay(m): 3:17pm On Aug 26, 2010
all good friends that did gmat pls help oh, my friend wrote GMAT yesterday and has been panicking. his unofficial GMAT score as at yesterday is 370. is that his final score?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by RufusUzoma(m): 3:28pm On Aug 26, 2010
Hello brothers, i havnt applied yet bcause all schools i write to always tel me that my GPA of 2.92 wen converted to their own scale(4.0) wil not be enough. But i guess i havnt goten d right schs. Please house, help me with schs dat acepts fellas like me wit 2.92.
Thanks for your replies in anticipation.
@ojap, i hav d believe u wil hit it dis tym.
Just believe in your self and hav faith in God.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by electronic(m): 5:28pm On Aug 26, 2010
@superbrain wat do u think a 4.0/5 GPA wld translate to in 4.0 gp scale, And best of luck 2 all spring men!!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 6:47am On Aug 27, 2010
@ electronic, I can't say for sure but it should be between 3.4 and 3.6. A friend of mine who had 3.51/5.0 ended up with 3.1/4.0 after evaluation. Like I said, your last 60 hours of undergraduate course-work matters. What unis are you considering?

@ house, those that have already gotten their I-20 should hurry up and pay their SEVIS fees and try to book early appointments. All the best.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by masepat: 7:19am On Aug 27, 2010
@ Brain,
Please I am for spring 2011 entry. I have sent my financial documents to my school so that my I-20 can be processed and was told to hold on, as it will take several weeks before I get financial clearance. What is that likely to mean and what do you suggest I do in the interim?

@House,
All those for spring semester should please come out so we can rub minds.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 7:37am On Aug 27, 2010
Hello house, Spring 2011 applicants should find the information below useful. You can also use it as a checklist.

HOW DO I PREPARE FOR MY VISA INTERVIEW?

Prepare and bring the following to your visa interview:
• An international passport valid for at least six months

• Form I-20 (sign the form under Item 11)

• School admission letter

• A bar-coded confirmation page for the DS-160 online non-immigrant visa application form. (find DS-160 form at https://ceac.state.gov/GENNIV)

• Two 2”x 2” photographs in the prescribed format.

• A receipt for the visa application fee,(MRV and VFS which you get from UBA)

• A receipt for the SEVIS fee - If you have not received an official receipt in the mail showing payment and you paid the fee electronically, the consulate will accept the temporary receipt you printed from your computer. If you do not have a receipt, the consulate may be able to see your payment electronically if your fee payment was processed at least 3 business days before your interview.

• Financial evidence showing you have sufficient funds to cover your tuition and living expenses during the period you intend to study.
-Academic documents which may include high school certificates, university transcripts, Statement of Result, University Certificate, Test scores (TOEFL, SAT, GRE or GMAT), Award letters, Testimonials, NYSC certificate etc.

• Provide any information proving that you will return to your home country after finishing your studies in the U.S. This may include:
◦ proof of property, family, or other ties to your community.
◦ proof that one or both parents is working in the home country;
◦ that other family members have not immigrated to the United States;
◦ that family members are not illegally present in the U.S.;
◦ that the student has job prospects upon return home;
◦ that the student's family is able to economically support him/her;
◦ evidence of property or business interests in the home country, etc. • If the applicant for a visa is a student dependent, he or she must present evidence of the relationship such as a birth certificate or marriage certificate, as well as the types of evidence previously mentioned.

Remain calm and answer all questions asked to you openly and honestly.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 7:46am On Aug 27, 2010
@ masepat, you can request that they first email you a scan so you can see your SEVIS number to enable you make your SEVIS fee payment while you await the I-20. Once you get the number, make your SEVIS fee payment and also book an appointment. If they are sending your I-20 by courier, then book an appointment at least two weeks from the day your I-20 is sent. But make sure it is within the specified 90days before your school resumes.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by masepat: 7:58am On Aug 27, 2010
@Brain,
Thank you so much. Please keep up the good work.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by electronic(m): 9:18am On Aug 27, 2010
@superbrain keep up the good work. Wel my last 60hrs is around  4.0, so u definately right. Am considering Texas A&M, ASU, Iowa state 4 now. Wat scares me is thier requirements 4 phd (4 naija we no dey do research) but God dey. I realy need funding.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 9:25am On Aug 27, 2010
@ electronic, those are good schools. You can also try Oregon State University. There are lots of semi-conductor companies in that region. You should be able to get in with your undergraduate GPA but work hard on getting a good GRE score and writing a good SOP. It is well bro.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sparta2: 10:55am On Aug 27, 2010
• Provide any information proving that you will return to your home country after finishing your studies in the U.S. This may include:
◦ proof of property, family, or other ties to your community.
◦ proof that one or both parents is working in the home country;
◦ that other family members have not immigrated to the United States;
◦ that family members are not illegally present in the U.S.;
◦ that the student has job prospects upon return home;
◦ that the student's family is able to economically support him/her;
◦ evidence of property or business interests in the home country, etc.     • If the applicant for a visa is a student dependent, he or she must present evidence of the relationship such as a birth certificate or marriage certificate, as well as the types of evidence previously mentioned.   

Remain calm and answer all questions asked to you openly and honestly.[color=#006600][/color]

As i always tell most applicants each individuals case is entirely different from the other so are the documents required from you.
CASE STUDY
Two applicants going to the same program at the same the school.One is 16 while the other is 20.At the embassy,the same criteria wouldn't be used for both of them likewise the documents expected from them.A lot of factors determines the documents required of you.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 11:08am On Aug 27, 2010
I agree with you. But you will need to take as much documents as possible to be able to defend any claim you make or any question you are asked. In your case study, the older guy may have to show evidence of what he has been doing since graduation and how it relates to his course of study. But above are the basics. How have you been?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by ogunsam75(m): 11:35am On Aug 27, 2010
please, is anyone here who can help me? i wish to come to united state for holiday by December, i need more information on the necessary requirements and procedure, thanks i will appreciate contributions
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by electronic(m): 11:51am On Aug 27, 2010
@brain i'll check oregon out thanks
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by lapazo200: 1:56pm On Aug 27, 2010
Guys I need the cheapest flight to US,Someone should pls help.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by think2ce: 11:50pm On Aug 27, 2010
lapazo, cheapair.com

ojap, If you or anyone that knows you read this, right now, Sep 1 & 3 are respectively free for appointment at Lagos & Abuja US missions.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seniorak47(m): 12:11am On Aug 28, 2010
Hi House, am sorry for not coming on board in the last few days. I know those who have had their visas within a fews to their departure would understand that the pre-departure prep can be strenous. Anyways, I am booked to fly turkish air Tuesday 31st to NYC enroute Istanbul. When am settled I shall post a comprehensive detail of my interview. I have tried doing it severally but I guess becoz of the lenght, the typed stories just dey dissappear. Abi na Winch?

@ Benom; pls get at least another admission NOT Necessarily another I-20 since u have one and u are cool with it. If not then you better prepare to battle your interviewer on why you applied to just one school or why you were admitted in just 1 school. Some of them think if you chose just a school, then you are not serious.

That was the most interesting and tasking part of my interview but I had to fight it out with God on my side. Details shall appear in my post later on.

@ Ojap; someone seem to be checking out the free dates for you as well. Hurry and see if you can get an earlier date than 9th . Good luck!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by DASLEEKY: 6:31am On Aug 28, 2010
think2ce:

lapazo, cheapair.com

ojap, If you or anyone that knows you read this, right now, Sep 1 & 3 are respectively free for appointment at Lagos & Abuja US missions.

some one with OjaP's Phone number shud call him to cancel his appointment and reschedule to the earlier Sept 1 date now,

lapazo200:

Guys I need the cheapest flight to US,Someone should pls help.

Guy, shud still be d Airmarocs, Turkish airlines etc of this world but shay U no go share your success story wit us too?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by lapazo200: 12:36pm On Aug 28, 2010
guy no be say I no want share my success story, but it wasnt easy.
I was denied last week but later re applied and I got it.
Will share the detail in a short while.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 2:09pm On Aug 28, 2010
Dasleeky,Lapazo,thanx so much,i have cancelled the earlier date of 9th sept.Na God save me oh,i havent been online since yesterday,immediately i got the info not quite long,i came online straight and was lucky to still get the date,Immediately i picked it,there are no dates available earlier than 20th again.Thanx all,superbrain,what's happening?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 2:59pm On Aug 28, 2010
@House,Thanks alot for your concerns,mynew interview date is Ist September,However,i will be deceiving myself i pretend not to know where the consular picked faults, Let me repost where he picked faults.They are just three points.

Cons:Why do you chose CSUB?
Me:The University has my Major,GEOLOGY,The department has ultramodern research facilities and laboratories,They operate a small class that gives access to PROFESSORS.The university has strong connections with major oil industries in Calif,the location of my school in Central California is near amazing Geology and sits on top of one of the richest oil provinces in the USA,This strong connections will give me the opportunity to interact with these companies,attend their talks and seminars,Make use of their labs for research works,potentially work on a thesis using their data thus giving me a world professional experience.(He cuts in)
Cons:In a harsh voice,standing up as if he meant me,Why didnt u apply to Universities in louissiana,Texas,Nevada?
ME:told him it is because my school is near amazing Geology and sits on one of the richest oil provinces in the USA(He wasnt satisfied)I knew na Bleep up number one be that.
Cons:What have you been doing since you graduated in 2006
Me:Immediately i graduated i observed the one year mandatory NYSC,Immediately after that went for a computer training in Computer studies and finally picked a job at my father's company.(I didnt show him docs to ascertain this as he didnot even give me the slightest opportunity to bring out anything,Jst rushing from one questions to another).
Cons:Asked for the name and what we were into.
Me:I told him the name and told him the company is into oil exploration.
Cons:Where do you plan to work after your studies?
Me:I plan to work in my dad's company.
He didnt give me the opportunity to show any docs as he was just jumping to the next questions almost immediately.All he checked was my passport,vfs,WES transcripts and I-20.Since i knew i didnt give him a strong reason in my first Bleep up,i was disorganised.And i think that was what led to my refusal.
Considering all these,what do you suggest shold be my answer to the following and what docs should i use to back it?

1.Why didnt you choose top ranking schools(he mentioned their names and told me they sit on oil provinces too and are also near amazing Geology)
2.What have you been doing since you graduated in 2006?
3.Where do plan to work immediately you finish your m.sc?
These are the questions i think will need a strong answer against my next interview.In my next interview,will the consular ask why i was denied or will he have the records and re ask the questions to see if i now have a new answer?House,i need your suggestions.Superbrain,Dasleek,Djunit,Oyewole,seniorAk47,Bomly,Chiazogom,Lapazo and all the rest,i dey your hands ooo.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by oyewolejos(m): 4:00pm On Aug 28, 2010
@Ojap I don't think u proved beyond resonable doubt that u coming back. When u told the consular u coming back to work in your father's company then there is no exposure at all and the efforts of going to the US is defeated if there's no change of environment. Since u work in your Dad's company without a US degreee and when u bag a US degree u still gonna work there then whats the essence of wasting money only to come back and work at the same old place?
These people are psychologists they aint dumb so u no gonna sell them dummies. Let them know u coming back to contribute your own quota towards the development of Nigeria. They dont think it's patriotic for u to come back and work for your Dad's company. Why not work for your country since they needs professional like u? Let them know that the much talked about Vision 2020 will be a mirage if people like u are not allowed to get more knowledge in the US so u can come and use it for the economical growth of Naija. They need to see the patriotic zeal in you, the vision u have for Nigeria not for yourself.
On the School just tell them why the school is better off any school partaining to your Major not to Geographical location. The Consular was right to tell u that Louisanna is the Niger Dellta of USA not California. There are loads of errors in your response which u need to address. CSUB is a great school to link it to your major not to locations.

Finally, its not appropriate for the Consular to ask u first what your Dad's Company is into and the name. This should be your first statement before u say any other things about them. U have to let the consular know your role in the company not for him to ask u. Talk to the Consular with boldness and forget about the Computer training thingy its been a long story in the mouth of all Nigerians. Just tell him/her u been working with your Dad's coy since u left high school trying to gain work experience.
Computer Knowledge is for 3 years old kid in Yankee so it's no big deal to them.
Hope this helps and Good Luck in your Interview

(1) (2) (3) ... (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.