Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,990 members, 7,814,379 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (121) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (545748 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 4:14pm On Aug 28, 2010
@Oyewolejos,Thanx alot for that piece,but is it now appropriate for me to change the story line from working in my dad's company to another thing?Wont they have the records of all i have said?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 5:10pm On Aug 28, 2010
@seniourak47,
thanks for your info. i am already planning to make other applications. I need to know schools that can give me some form of tuition assistance.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seniorak47(m): 6:27pm On Aug 28, 2010
@ I left out one more question;

Con: How long is ur program?
Me: 24months for academics, 12-months for optional practical training making a total of 36-months
Con: Must the practical training be in US?
Me: If my school permits me to return home for the training, my sponsor would be very glad to have me back sooner than later.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sanciro: 12:04am On Aug 29, 2010
hello house,just want you guys to put me thru cos i will be going for my interview in the next 3wks.to my best knowledge i believe i have gotten all the necessary docs, which are

admission letter
i20 form
ds 160 confirmation
appointment letter
sevis fee confirmation and receipt
vfs receipt
mrv receipt
statement of account of ma old man
waec result
my skool transcripts(exempts from taking toefl or sat)
birth certificate
international passort
2passport photogragh

will be very glad if the house can tell me wat to add to all these i have mentioned.

REGARDS

SANCIRO
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 12:09am On Aug 29, 2010
Only Oyewole seems to have contributed to my last post.House,i am waiting for you oo.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seniorak47(m): 3:42am On Aug 29, 2010
I don't know why but my attempts to post my interview experience for like the fourth time failed after typing and posting; anyway I will split it in several posts maybe its due to the lenght;

As I took my seat next to a young lady awaiting her turn to interview, I quickly perused the additional attached piece of paper to my docs (handed over after biometrics). I found some coding in weight arranged in a box matrix format vis-à-vis my chances of refusal and approval. I quickly glanced at the lady sitting beside me and asked her for the similar coding on her own form. It matched and I felt a bit relieved that it could be a general thing after-all.
The lady was called up by a guy in the 4th cubicle and started interviewing her. The Chinese lady was in cubicle 1 and I was sitting right in front of her space but she had left her seat a while earlier. I prayed the guy completes the interview fast b4 the chinko lady returns but no it did not happen that way. The Chinese lady soon returned to her seat and I became convinced she going to interview me for two reasons; she was the only interviewer that was free while I was the only applicant waiting to be interviewed. She called and I got up with a strange confidence I never knew existed in me. I smiled and we greeted each other at the same time. She asked for my documents which I passed on and the interview began thus;
  Con: where are you going to school?
Me: New York Institute of Tech.
Con: New York Institute of Technology?
Me: Yes
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seniorak47(m): 3:44am On Aug 29, 2010
Con: How many schools did you apply to or were you admitted?
Me: I considered various schools before deciding on NYIT amongst which include Umich, Ann-Arbour… she cuts in
Con: Do you mean that you were admitted at University of Michigan?
Me: No, I did not eventually submit an application to Umich after my initial consideration and the outcome/feedbacks from my enquiries.
Con: So, you applied to Umich and you were not admitted?
Me: No, I said that I only considered Umich, Sounding irritated by the same question
Con: Excuse me Sir; let me finish asking the questions before you respond. You can then take the whole day to explain.
Me: Ok, go on with your questions.
Con: How many schools did you apply to?
Me: one
Con: Why just one?
Me: After an initial shortlist of schools with specialization in my chosen interest, I came up with Umich and NYIT. I made enquiries to these schools but got better feedbacks from NYIT than Umich…
Con: What kind of enquiries did you make?
Me: I inquired about chances of getting admitted considering my qualifications and experience… basically the potentials…. She cuts in
Con: How did you decide on NYIT then?
Me: NYIT gave me a better chance of getting admitted while Umich was not only unclear about my chances but also not as responsive as I would have expected a would be institution of choice…… she cuts in again
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seniorak47(m): 3:46am On Aug 29, 2010
Con: Why would chose NYIT for such program.
Me: Simply because of the practical approach to this course adopted by the school.
Con: What is your highest level of education as at today?
Me: B.Sc
Con: And this proposed study is for Master’s? She showed me the portion of my I-20 that says so.
Me: Yes, it is.
Con: Where did you study for your B.Sc?
Me: University of Lagos.
Con: what year did you finish that?
Me: 2005.
Con: What have you been doing since 2005.
Me: working.
Con: Where do you work?
Me: I work as a manager in-charge of procurements with a construction firm in Lagos.
Con: What did do at Laspotech?
Me: ND
Con: HND?
Me: No, OND, She cuts in and said yeah I can see that… looking at her computer, by this time she was relaxed and so was I. And I knew I had gotten the Visa but only a matter of seconds away,
Con: How old are you?
Me: I will be 31 on Friday
Con: Are u married?
Me: Yeah with a daughter too, one of my strong point I guess
Con: Are you going with your family?
Me: No.
Con: Why?
Me: My wife has a fledging business here and she needs to grow it. My daughter is still less than 2 and will start her crèche classes in a few weeks. Most importantly, my scholarship value can only take care of me.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seniorak47(m): 3:47am On Aug 29, 2010
Con: How will your family survive when you are in New York?
Me: I have made arrangement for monthly Stipends to be augmented by my wife’s income from her bizness.
Con: How am I sure you will return to Nigeria after your studies?
Me: I have a job waiting for me after the study duration here in Nigeria; it is attached to the scholarship as a bond condition.
Con: How much is your study cost.
Me: $29,000.00
Con: and …, government is going to pay $23,000
Me: Yes
Con: Who pays for the balance?
Me: I will.
Con: And how much is that?
Me: $6000
Con: How much do you earn in a year?
Me: N1.2M
Con: Can I see any document that shows you are receiving scholarship from …….government?
Me: Yes, I gave it to her and she returned them after just a glance.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seniorak47(m): 3:48am On Aug 29, 2010
Con: How long is your study?
Me:24months for academics, 12months for optional practical training which makes a total of 36months.
Con: Does the practical training have to be in the US?
Me: If my school permits me to return home for the OPT, my sponsor would be very happy to have back earlier than later.
Con: ok, I will give you this card and paper to pick up your visa on Friday at this address. If someone else will pick on your behalf… she turns the other side of the paper…, and I completed the sentence for her as follows…
Me: I will fill in these spaces as instruction to collect on my behalf.
Con: she smiled mischievously, (like say she Gbadun me but me I don marry) and said yes, that’s correct. Before she finished I don grab my ticket and paper from her and was on my way out.
I rushed out of the place b4 I start to dey shout. I was so happy I tipped the security guys on my way out at two points. Outside the Consulate, I cried tear of joy and appreciation for God Almighty. You want to know my reasons? Even with scholarship, a year ago, I was refused at another geographical entity and all hope seemed lost. Ironically, my bike passed thru the same coordinates on my way home and I almost swear for them if not for fasting…,
A lot of you may wonder that my interview was so long. Yes, it has to be for me to be successful. If the consular had based her assessment on docs, it may be a different story now. No Toefl, No GRE/GMAT, No WAEC certificate, just G-factor (GOD), waec scratch card, OND and BSC certificates and WES transcript. All of which she did not even ask for because GOD had substituted all…
Thank Him on my behalf, and for those who got theirs b4 me and learn from our experiences. One love!!!!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seniorak47(m): 3:57am On Aug 29, 2010
@Ojap; your response does not have to be the same neither does it have to be totally different. Your response could be ''though I can easily join my family business on returning but I would prefer to have experience first in a multinational oil and gas firm such as Mobil etc or our National oil and gas companies and/or regulatory agency like NNPC, DPR, NLNG etc immediately on arrival and then later take-up management position in my family biz after gathering hands-on experience from these places . When is your new date now? Or are still scheduled for the ninth? Best of Luck!!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 7:43am On Aug 29, 2010
@SeniorAK47,thanx for responding,if asked the reason why i chose CSUB,Should i just tell him the normal thing like it has my major,labs,easy access to Profs. etc and wait till he ask further why i do nt chose a particular university till i link it up with my research interest and options?About what i have been doing since i left school,i have just started working last year and it is indicated on my DS-160,What can i say to cover those gaps of 2006 to 2009 not forgeting he may ask for docs to prove this.I observed the NYSC between 2007 and 2008 february.This question is open to all members also.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 9:03am On Aug 29, 2010
@ OjaP, I've told you before and I will say it again. Research interest is your best bet is asked why you opted for CSUB. Almost all universities in the US have standard facilities, so you would have made no point if you end up saying that. Tell the consular that Professor X is currently working on Project Y, and that you communicated with him and got a good response from him. You should state that you're interested in that particular Project Y and the reasons for your interest. That should be an easy sell for why you opted for CSUB. About the job thingy, the consulars know the job situation in Nigeria. When did your family business start? And where do you work currently?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by RufusUzoma(m): 9:13am On Aug 29, 2010
@ojap: capitalise on d fact dat u finish NYSC during 2008. U were expected 2 graduate 2006 bt due 2 som problems d sch had at dat tym, u graduated latter dats why u rounded off nysc 2008. Now, u have two years left 2 cover, at dis point, u did a proffesion training on basic computer training and after dat, u got employed. And til dat u re stil employed.
4get about d fact dat yes alot of people uses computer training as an excuse, u can also use it too provided u can be able 2 link d neccesity of d traing 2 ur new job, But above all, do wat i told you earlier on YIM, and with faith, u are good to go,
Cheers!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 10:13am On Aug 29, 2010
@Rufus,i get u,superbrain,the company was registered with CAC in April 2009,while i started working there in Sept 2009.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 10:52am On Aug 29, 2010
@ OjaP, good. So you only have to explain what you were doing from February 2008 to Sept 2009 right? And the company was registered in April 2009, right? Another point you can make to the consular if asked is that you were involved in the pre start-up process of the company. Being a family thing, your involvement mattered and your family thought it important that you participate in the planning stage of the start-up company. You already had graduate school in view and thought it necessary to get involved at the start-up stage, then proceed for a masters, return to work in any of the multinationals for a period of time before returning finally to take on more senior roles at the company. At this stage, your masters degree and years of experience in a multinational coy or government agency will not only help bring expertise to the company but you would also have succeeded in building a strong network with other players in the industry which will prove invaluable to your company's growth. About the computer thingy, I'm indifferent. If you must mention it, be ready to show evidence of training in industry-related softwares like petrel, or other seismic stuff. It makes no sense to say you were doing basic computer training. For how long? Just my 2 cents.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 11:08am On Aug 29, 2010
@Superbrain,you are indeed the superbrain,i salute your intelligence,infact,u have said it all,i am going to follow all u said,i am going to compose and bring all the points together and post here so that people can criticize also.Seniorak47,dasleek,rufus,the super brain etc.Thanx alot.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seniorak47(m): 11:13am On Aug 29, 2010
@ Superbrain; well said. I would give the same advice as yours to Ojap. Thats well thought-out and covers all possible loopholes.

@Ojap; But what is most important is not the accuracy or correctness of the response but the confidence and conviction with which you say it matters alot. Anticipate possible questions and triggers from such questions and prepare ur responses, let it be spontaneous. There is one thing you have which is an advantage; you have been there before, no more suprises and the fear of a first-timer must have vanished by now. Just survive the first couple of questions and the flow will begin naturally.

Finally, start out with listing all possible questions extracted from the depth of materials on this forum. Add-up all other questions peculiar to your situation and proffer various responses modifiable from successful stories herein then pick one most conviniently truthful to your situation so much that irrespective of how the question come; you will respond spotaneously. The most unstabling situation can arise only when a question you did not anticipate or you do not have a ready answer for comes up. So, practice, prepare, pray and pray and pray. All is well!!!!!!!!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 11:18am On Aug 29, 2010
Superbrain,should i wait for when the consular ask y didnt choose some certain skuls b4 talking about my research interests or let him knw my research interests immediately he asks "Why do you choose CSUB"?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 11:34am On Aug 29, 2010
@ seniorak47, right on spot. One's confidence and spontaneity of reponses are prime qualities.

@ OjaP, once asked why you opted for CSUB, talk about the research interest and your communication with the Professor. Also state that though some other schools are into that research area, that particular Project Y which you're interested in is unique to CSUB. Then you can add other secondary reasons like good research labs, small department with a good faculty to student ratio, etc. Just make sure that you do not deviate from the truth (be as honest as possible) because it is easier to remember a truth than a lie.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 12:07pm On Aug 29, 2010
Thanks,i will compose and get back to the forum shortly.Pls,what other questions do you guys suggest they may ask?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 5:43pm On Aug 29, 2010
I am finlly done with the composition,here is what i am planning to say.

1.Why do you choose CSUB?
I chose the school because i have so much interest in the research presently carried out by a renowned Professor of Sedimentary and Petroleum Geology in the school(Quoting his name).He is currently studying Diagenesis and Porosity Development of San Joaquin Basin Sandstone Reservoirs.I got good response from him through emails exchanged with him telling him if he can accept me as his research student(will show him the emails) ,His research work interests me because my undergraduate research work was also on Sedimentological and Geochemical analysis of Ewekoro Formation which is also a type of Sedimentary rock,so working with this great researcher is like a continuity of my undergraduate researchwork work though in an advanced way,Not also forgetting that Petroleum found onshore are concentrated mostly in Sedimentary rocks in which he is currently studying.So,carrying out a research work in that aspect will give me an edge when i return back home after my studies because exploring oil onshore is less expensive,less harzardous,less pollutive and also save production costs because oil companies spend more exploring oil on sea and the oceans.

The University has good research labs and ultramodern research facilities to work on.
It has a small dept with good faculty to student ratio thus giving easy access to professors.

2.What have you been doing since you graduated in 2006?
Immediately,i graduated,i observed the 1year mandatory NYSC Scheme(I will show him Cert),immediately after the completion in 2008,i was involved in the start up process of the company where i am presently working(quoting the name),the company is into oil exploratin,Geological mapping,Borehole site investigation.Being a family Business,my involvement mattered alot and my family thought it was important that i participate in the planning stage of the start up company.Though,i already had graduate school in view and thought it is necessary to get involved at the start up stage,then proceed for a masters,return to work in any of the multinationals for a period of time before returning finally to take on more senior roles at the company.At this stage,my master degree and years of experience in a multinational company or govt agency will not only help bring expertise and add a professional touch to the comapany but i would have also succeeded in building a strong network with other players in the industry whuch will prove invaluable to my company growth.

3.Where do you plan to work after your studies?
Though,i can easily join my family business on returning but i would prefer to have experience first in a multinational oil and gas from such oil companies as Mobil,Chevron,Shell,Nigeria Agip or any of our National oil and gas companies and regulatory agency such as the NNPC,DPR,NLNG so that i can contribute my own quota to the actualization of the Nigeria Vision 2020 knowingfully well that Petroleum is the mainstay of the Nigerian Economy. then later take up senior positions in my family biz after gathering hands on experience from these places.

I just hope all these should should suffice and i hope the explanation is not too much,infact,i am planning to beg the consular to be patient with me while explaining all my points.All suggestions are welcome,Superbrain,SeniorAK47,Dasleek,Rufusuzoma and all house members,please critisize these.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 6:11pm On Aug 29, 2010
It is okay. Just be confident. I bet you that by the time you begin to go technical, the consular would cut you short. But be spontaneous. As the questions come, respond in a quick and calculated manner. Don't hesitate, stammer or look disgruntled.

And if asked why you were denied and how you hope to convince them you will return, emphasize on the fact that the oil and gas industry in Nigeria is at a revolutionary stage with the forthcoming implementation of the Nigerian Content Development bill, and that coming back after your masters will be best for you. Show your enthusiasm about returning. Goodluck bro. God be with you.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 7:12pm On Aug 29, 2010
Superbrain,what is the best answer to give if asked why i was denied?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 7:34pm On Aug 29, 2010
@seniorak47,
Please we need to talk one on one. nexxibenom@yahoo.com
some personal stuffs so i cant post it on the thread.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 8:18pm On Aug 29, 2010
Say exactly what the consular told you the last time but counter it immediately with your strong points. I meant Petroleum Industry bill not NCD bill. Sorry about that.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 8:26pm On Aug 29, 2010
superbrain,are u a consular in disguise?U answered all my questions correctly.May the Lord continuing to be with you and give you more knwledge and understanding.Thanx bro.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seniorak47(m): 10:49pm On Aug 29, 2010
@ benom; I have added you to my yahoo chat list. need u to accept my iv. I won't be online until I could a link either during stop over at Istanbul or until I get to Yankee. Send your enquiries. Will respond ASAP.

@ house; see you on the other side. Veteran house members now in yankee, kindly welcome the newest addition to the noble list of sojourners,

One love!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by omofavour: 7:53am On Aug 30, 2010
Hey family,
hope you guys are doing great.

Ojap, just calm down, u go get this visa by Gods Grace.

wen the guy asks u why you were denied the first time, just frankly with a smile tell him you were unable to clearly express yourself the first time.

Dont mention attachment/proof of coming back , etc, leading him into talking about those would just be like you are handing the
interview back to him 2 try to rattle you.

Once u reply as suggested, chances are that he will want to start afresh with you and give u a brand new opportunity.
that is wen all the very important lessons and tips learned on nairaland now come very handy in answering his questions.

that way, u possibly would have "reset" the whole situation and start afresh,

Go ahead bro, our testimony on the thred cant be complete without you guyz.
Keep praying, It is possible.

omofavour.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sanciro: 12:30pm On Aug 30, 2010
hello guys,i will be going for my interview in 3wks tyme which i av gotten all the necessary documents.dont know maybe i should include my NYSC certificate cos i graduated 2008 then went for service in 2009 which i now finished june2010.i am goin as a transfer student so that i could obtain B.ng in my major because i finished as an HND student here in 9ja,i will be very glad if you guys could put me thru and give me additional info which will be useful to me.

REGARDS

SANCIRO
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seniorak47(m): 3:10pm On Aug 30, 2010
@ Sanciro; take your NYSC certificate along it is a good tool if you know how to use it. Tell the consular you deliberately waited to observe the program to prepare for your return after the US masters. You can only work in Nija if you have the cert and you know you might have exceeded the age limit on your return hence you did it now instead of later.

(1) (2) (3) ... (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.