Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,019 members, 7,835,444 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (127) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (546832 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 4:28pm On Sep 11, 2010
@sanciro, you have basically 4 sets of documents to take to the embassy
1. Educational proficiency
2. Admission documents
3. Proof of funding to cover at least 1 yr
4. Ties to your country
5. Interview related fees (SEVIS and co)

Please get all documents to satisfy all categories above. Simply put, you should have
waec result
First degree result (if you are doing masters)
Standardised test scores
Transcript (very good but not a necessity)
Admission documents (I-20 and co)
Sponsor statement of account
Introduction letter from sponsor
Documents related to sponsor's source of income (payslip, certificates, etc,  Note that it is good to have these things but the VO might not even look at it)
Employment letter if any
your own payslip, statement, etc (not a must but its good if u have them)
Documentations for properties if you hve any.

All in all, do not 4get the biggest law in this house,  DO NOT PRESENT A DOCUMENT UNLESS ITS REQUESTED FOR OR ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED.

All these are the much I have gathered from this forum and others. I hope the veterans in the house will have much more to add.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sanciro: 4:42pm On Sep 11, 2010
benom:

@sanciro, you have basically 4 sets of documents to take to the embassy
1. Educational proficiency
2. Admission documents
3. Proof of funding to cover at least 1 yr
4. Ties to your country
5. Interview related fees (SEVIS and co)

Please get all documents to satisfy all categories above. Simply put, you should have
waec result
First degree result (if you are doing masters)
Standardised test scores
Transcript (very good but not a necessity)
Admission documents (I-20 and co)
Sponsor statement of account
Introduction letter from sponsor
Documents related to sponsor's source of income (payslip, certificates, etc, Note that it is good to have these things but the VO might not even look at it)
Employment letter if any
your own payslip, statement, etc (not a must but its good if u have them)
Documentations for properties if you hve any.

All in all, do not 4get the biggest law in this house, DO NOT PRESENT A DOCUMENT UNLESS ITS REQUESTED FOR OR ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED.

All these are the much I have gathered from this forum and others. I hope the veterans in the house will have much more to add.

@benom,really appreciate that.thanx bro i av gotten all wat you av mentioned but dont know maybe you know any frquent question dat might be asked aside from all these u av stated
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by aroy1: 10:17pm On Sep 11, 2010
sanciro: How old are you, what course are you going for, which school? The more you can furnish, the better. But note that you are not obliged to do so if you do not want to.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 10:29pm On Sep 11, 2010
@House,i got to Calif yesterday,the Journey wasnt easy at all,close to 12hrs from Lagos to Atlanta,close to 5hrs from Atlanta to LA,then another 2 hours drive to my school,I kavent settled down really but mere looking at what i am seeing,its not easy at all especially with accomodation here,Does anybody know when a student can transfer?Is it after a semester or session,I will also be happy if anybody knows of schools in Long beach or Maryland which gives a free tuition to transfer student.This is because i have relatives in those two places,so i will be staying with them,so accomodation and feeding will be easy for me,Abeg,i need quick responses.Spring hopefuls,i wish you all the best in your admission process,Just follow this thread and i am sure you will all laugh at the end.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 10:32pm On Sep 11, 2010
hi guys,
i need help ASAP. My gre and toefl score sheets have still not arrived since march. I am planning to order for fresh set of score sheets and i also plan to use an address in the US so that my friend can then use express registered courier to send it to me. This will also save time.
My reservation is that i do not want the VO asking me any questions on my relations in US if the address shows on my score sheet.
I need some answers please.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 10:39pm On Sep 11, 2010
Why not have the online print out?You can have them send it to your friend in as much you have a strong answer to back it up if asked if you ave a relation.Then you can tell them you heard about the school from your friend who atended the same school.does that make sense?You can also throw the questions to other Gurus.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 11:34pm On Sep 11, 2010
thanks for the response but i really need to know from those who have their gre and toefl results if the results have their address written on it.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 12:07am On Sep 12, 2010
OjaP:

@House,i got to Calif yesterday,the Journey wasnt easy at all,close to 12hrs from Lagos to Atlanta,close to 5hrs from Atlanta to LA,then another 2 hours drive to my school,I kavent settled down really but mere looking at what i am seeing,its not easy at all especially with accomodation here,Does anybody know when a student can transfer?Is it after a semester or session,I will also be happy if anybody knows of schools in Long beach or Maryland which gives a free tuition to transfer student.This is because i have relatives in those two places,so i will be staying with them,so accomodation and feeding will be easy for me,Abeg,i need quick responses.Spring hopefuls,i wish you all the best in your admission process,Just follow this thread and i am sure you will all laugh at the end.

OjaP, well i guess that wat everyone comes here to find out, anyways im also in maryland and if you talking about free tuition, don't waint for it cos there is none and since ur an international transfer student the more difficult, best il advise is transfer after d 1st semester or year and then if u talk about maryland, depends on the area where your folks stay so i can help tell u the closest school to them, holla
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Dantecmu(m): 12:43am On Sep 12, 2010
OjaP:

Now the party just started, welcome to cali cali e no easy ooo thank God say u don see am by urself anyways dont you fink finking of a transfer is still to early ma broderman you never reach 48hrs for the town naaa settle down 1st ok yanky n patience na d same spirit carry am calm down n rem all that glitters aint gold, have a 9ice stay
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 12:49am On Sep 12, 2010
Dantecmu:

Now the party just started, welcome to cali cali e no easy ooo thank God say u don see am by urself anyways dont you fink finking of a transfer is still to early ma broderman you never reach 48hrs for the town naaa settle down 1st ok yanky n patience na d same spirit carry am calm down n rem all that glitters aint gold, have a 9ice stay

well said
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by bomly(f): 1:04am On Sep 12, 2010
OjaP your are a funny guy, Just relax and calm down you will sort things out gradually. doh
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 2:04am On Sep 12, 2010
OjaP:

Thank God for a safe trip. Why are you thinking of transferring when you haven't even started classes? Get settled, start your classes and after a semester or two, you'll know whether to transfer or not. It ain't easy settling into a new place.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sanciro: 12:47pm On Sep 12, 2010
@aroy1 and others in the house

, am applying as transfer student with ma HND to northern arizona university in flagstaff with mechanical engineering major.am 27years old, i really need you guys help in the house cos got 8days to go for ma interview,no tyme to check tyme guys

aroy1:

sanciro: How old are you, what course are you going for, which school? The more you can furnish, the better. But note that you are not obliged to do so if you do not want to.
SANCIRO
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 5:21pm On Sep 12, 2010
sanciro:

@aroy1 and others in the house

, am applying as transfer student with ma HND to northern arizona university in flagstaff with mechanical engineering major.am 27years old, i really need you guys help in the house cos got 8days to go for ma interview,no tyme to check tyme guys

SANCIRO
good u have all your documents ready, basically most likely questions u'l be asked have already been tabled in this forum but it all bboils down to how u answer d question the consular throws at you since its basically, every reply generates next question so be careful with choice of words and like we all say KEEP YOUR ANSWERS OR REPLIES AS BRIEF,SHORT, STRAIGHTFORWARD AS EVER
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 6:19pm On Sep 12, 2010
@Vandops,My bro is in Baltimore in Maryland,it is not that i am in a haste but i want to start preparing and work towards it.I will be happy if you can do a little research about the school for me.M.sc Geology
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by bomly(f): 7:02pm On Sep 12, 2010
Hello OjaP, How are you doing? contact me bomny@yahoo.com
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by john4uu: 7:59pm On Sep 12, 2010
@@@Elpieda

I live in Dallas area also.Make we hook up.here is my email louispet6@yahoo.com. Just drop some notes.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 10:31pm On Sep 12, 2010
House,, please i need an advice.A brothers wife won a visa lottery and it was a fortunate thing for my brother and his wife.They both went to the Embassy for a scheduled interview.They went on MAY 11 and when they got there, they answered all the questions adequately, but the consular rescheduled them to come back on JULY 6, they came back and was questioned at the main lobby of the embassy.However,the official said they detected a few lapses, like the wife of my Brother was just 12years younger than her mom, which they said wasnt possible.The consular however told them to go and they would get in touch with them back, since then the embassy didnt call them and the visa lottery processing for everyone ends on September 30.however,since the embassy didnt call them since july,my brother feels its all over which i see as a wise mind-set.My Brother however went ahead to pick up a challenge against to go and school in the states and now he is afraid of making a move, as though he isnt sure maybe he has a rightful right to apply for a student visa, even after a latter signal of refusal for the visa lottery, please advice me so i can counsel him, should he apply for a student visa come spring or next year? Can he be considered? He wants to know if the Embassy allows him to apply for a studennt visa despite his condition.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by aroy1: 2:37am On Sep 13, 2010
ojap US laws presume every non-immigrant visa applicant to be an intending immigrant and subject to visa refusal unless they prove otherwise. Your brother, via the visa lottery, has already clearly shown his intention of immigrating to the United States. Do the maths.

You never know until you try, though.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Wilfem(m): 2:50am On Sep 14, 2010
@4ril & Superbrain, I'm also a Spring hopeful too. Although I initially applied for fall, but I experienced some delays with my Transcript evaluation from WES & Poly Ibadan. The evaluated transcript just got to the institution about a month ago. I'll still continue to keep in touch here and I'm quite sure that the Alpha & Omega will see us through. Kudos!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sanciro: 11:38am On Sep 14, 2010
hello goodguys in the house,is there any more info you can give me cos got 6days to go,i need someone that just went there successfully to respond to me plssssssssssssss cos i need AOC area of concentration .

SANCIRO
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 10:09pm On Sep 14, 2010
Sanciro,what exactly is your question?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by 4ril: 10:30pm On Sep 14, 2010
@ Wilfem
@4ril & Superbrain, I'm also a Spring hopeful too. Although I initially applied for fall, but I experienced some delays with my Transcript evaluation from WES & Poly Ibadan. The evaluated transcript just got to the institution about a month ago. I'll still continue to keep in touch here and I'm quite sure that the Alpha & Omega will see us through. Kudos!

Welcome friend. We shall all smile by the grace of God.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sanciro: 10:37pm On Sep 14, 2010
OjaP:

Sanciro,what exactly is your question?

@ojap,really appreciate ur concern.in a nutshell,i am applying as transfer student so that i could earn ma degree cos i have HND in ma major here in naija with ma nysc dischsrged certificate and i have gotten all the necessary docs including a letter from a notable company that will offer me job after ma schoolling in the state.just want the good guys in the house to put me thru with likely question that might be asked cos got 5days and some hours to go, hope to read from you guys ASAP.

SANCIRO
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sanciro: 10:44pm On Sep 14, 2010
Wilfem:

@4ril,superbrain and wilfem, just to let you guys know that am also for spring and ma interview is just around the corner.got 5days and few hours for ma interview,prceisely sept20.i pray for all spring applicant that we shall smile for success after our interviews, AMEN

SANCIRO
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by layric: 7:13am On Sep 15, 2010
[i]Hello Naira pals,Good Morning to you all i have been reading this forum for some months now and i am really impress for the grate and good job you guys are doing.I decided to join this forum so i can share with you all and contribute with the little i know .
To all student going for spring ,i am also for spring as well but still waiting for the school,they have not gotten back to me since they have received my application. So Spring student pls do let us share i deal together and lets achieve our aim.I wish everybody good luck and God will crown our effort.
Pls let me know who are for spring so we can communicate.Thanks Layric
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sanciro: 7:44am On Sep 15, 2010
layric:

[i]Hello Naira pals,Good Morning to you all i have been reading this forum for some months now and i am really impress for the grate and good job you guys are doing.I decided to join this forum so i can share with you all and contribute with the little i know .
To all student going for spring ,i am also for spring as well but still waiting for the school,they have not gotten back to me since they have received my application. So Spring student pls do let us share i deal together and lets achieve our aim.I wish everybody good luck and God will crown our effort.
Pls let me know who are for spring so we can communicate.Thanks Layric

@layric,welcome to the house where success reign and i pray we all succeed we the spring applicants , am for spring with lots of good guys in the house.

BEST OF LUCK IN ADVANCE TO ALL

SANCIRO
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by layric: 12:18pm On Sep 15, 2010
@sanciro thanks for the message ,wishing you good luck in your interview.Am still waiting for the school to reply me i hope for good as well.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by 4ril: 12:26pm On Sep 15, 2010
@sanciro

@ojap,really appreciate your concern.in a nutshell,i am applying as transfer student so that i could earn ma degree cos i have HND in ma major here in naija with ma nysc dischsrged certificate and i have gotten all the necessary docs including a letter from a notable company that will offer me job after ma schoolling in the state.just want the good guys in the house to put me thru with likely question that might be asked cos got 5days and some hours to go, hope to read from you guys ASAP.

SANCIRO

Welcome, and I understand your position. But I am not too comfortable about something. Why are you just speaking up when you  have just few days to go? Reading all through the post from page one to the end, would have given you all the answers you need. But I'm sure you don't want to hear that. Another short cut is for you to the skim through the pages, take note of the interview questions of some people then try to find your own answers to that. You have lots of interview questions from page 1-127.

Often times, be ready to tell them why you want to study in the US? why the school? how you knew about the school? how many schools you applied to? Of recent, the location of the school? also of recent, why you choose the particular course you are going for? the relevance to your job/career development? the relevance to the development of your country? who is your sponsor? if its not your biological parents, why would some one who is not your biological parent want to spend millions of naira on you? his account statement? then how to show you will come back.

That is not all my friend. I don't expect they will ask you all these because of limited time. And of course, the questions may not be limited to the ones I gave here. But you don't know which they will ask. and that is why i still advise you explore all pages of the thread. Hear on NL, I read about some one who was denied because he didn't know the location of the school on US map. another was denied because he couldn't answer some questions about the standardized test he took. Another was also asked to solve some arithmetic or mathematics (but these are very rare cases). But how do you know the one they will ask. So, I don't expect you to rely soly on what I said here. Do your research yourself, by trying to explore all the pages of this thread. When I first visited this thread, I read over 70 pages in a single day! So, if you are just looking for interview questions alone, you can do that in a day too. (except you choose to read other things that are irrelevant to you). And as  you can see, I have never been to the US embassy before. Most most of the the answers I am giving you come from this same thread.

The is one important question I want you to answer. Lets assume I am the consular, and you are the applicant:

Cons: How old are you, and what program are you going for?
You: I am 27 years old, going for a bachelors degree as a transfer student.
Cons: 27? angry angry why are you just going for a Bachelors degree at age 27? what have you been doing? sad
You: I was studying here for an HND.
Cons: So, you have an HND?
you: Yes
Cons: How many years did it take you to get your HND?
You: 4 years, plus one year IT making 5 years
Cons: So, why are you going for an undergraduate degree (transfer student for Bsc) with your HND? why not a graduate degree?
You?

So, please look for a good answer to that before your interview date

@ house. Just as I always said, I have never been to the US embassy before. I only made my inference from what I read on his thread, and I can't even count the numbers of those that have gotten their visas since i joined this thread. I may not be right with my advice to this guy. if you see anything wrong in what i said, please correct it. Then give your inputs too. I don't wish to mislead anyone. Thanks
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by 4ril: 12:52pm On Sep 15, 2010
@Wilfem

Welcome. Which program are you going for? Graduate or undergraduate. In WES evaluations, your OND could be equivalent to an AS (Associate degree in the US) while depending on your GPA (if strong) your HND could be equivalent to a Bsc in WES evaluations. So, in case you have a HND, please look for graduate school. Lets assume you are admitted with that. On the interview date, present your WES evaluations, which would have converted your HND to Bsc. It's safer to apply for a graduate school with your HND (provided your GPA is strong) than applying for an undergraduate course with an HND. Just the same way the consular could say; why do you want to get an Associate degree in the US since you have an OND already? The same way they could say; why a Bsc since you have an HND already.

Though, some schools might not admit you for masters directly with HND. You might be given some prerequisites for you to take. And to me, that is still cool. Far safer than applying for a Bsc with HND.

So, in case you have an HND, try to apply to some graduate schools. But if what you have is an OND, then you are cool with undergraduate courses.

You are welcome once again
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by deevick246(m): 2:17pm On Sep 15, 2010
l hail all the gurus here,l have just started learning from this wonderful thread.l had given up on going abroad for studies not untill l stubbed at this very informative thread.Pls l need a solution to the challenge of going to study at graduate level in the united states.l finised from a Polytechnic,Yabatech.l had a CGPA of 2.94 over 4.00 total,in Business Administration.l want to know if l am to apply for PostGraduate Diploma or MBA.
l need experienced people to please help to tackle this challenge.l dont want those who will rain insults on me in the name of profering solutions.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Wilfem(m): 3:09pm On Sep 15, 2010
@4ril, I'm applying for a Graduate Course, (Master of Science in Graphic Communications.) Although the required GPA was 3.0, but after the WES evaluation, my GPA was 2.89 as against the required 3.0, but I learnt on the school website that lower Gpa could be considered, based on experience on some of the aspects like photography, desktop publishing, colour mixing, etc. They do not also require TOEFL too, but I sat for one & I got 71, I'm thinking of applying to another institution, just not to keep all the eggs in one basket. I've been on the application issue since January, but the delay was between WES & Poly Ibadan.

(1) (2) (3) ... (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.