Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,276 members, 7,836,240 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:16 AM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (128) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (546892 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sanciro: 4:19pm On Sep 15, 2010
Insert Quote
@sanciro

@ojap,really appreciate your concern.in a nutshell,i am applying as transfer student so that i could earn ma degree cos i have HND in ma major here in naija with ma nysc dischsrged certificate and i have gotten all the necessary docs including a letter from a notable company that will offer me job after ma schoolling in the state.just want the good guys in the house to put me thru with likely question that might be asked cos got 5days and some hours to go, hope to read from you guys ASAP.

SANCIRO

Welcome, and I understand your position. But I am not too comfortable about something. Why are you just speaking up when you have just few days to go? Reading all through the post from page one to the end, would have given you all the answers you need. But I'm sure you don't want to hear that. Another short cut is for you to the skim through the pages, take note of the interview questions of some people then try to find your own answers to that. You have lots of interview questions from page 1-127.

Often times, be ready to tell them why you want to study in the US? why the school? how you knew about the school? how many schools you applied to? Of recent, the location of the school? also of recent, why you choose the particular course you are going for? the relevance to your job/career development? the relevance to the development of your country? who is your sponsor? if its not your biological parents, why would some one who is not your biological parent want to spend millions of naira on you? his account statement? then how to show you will come back.

That is not all my friend. I don't expect they will ask you all these because of limited time. And of course, the questions may not be limited to the ones I gave here. But you don't know which they will ask. and that is why i still advise you explore all pages of the thread. Hear on NL, I read about some one who was denied because he didn't know the location of the school on US map. another was denied because he couldn't answer some questions about the standardized test he took. Another was also asked to solve some arithmetic or mathematics (but these are very rare cases). But how do you know the one they will ask. So, I don't expect you to rely soly on what I said here. Do your research yourself, by trying to explore all the pages of this thread. When I first visited this thread, I read over 70 pages in a single day! So, if you are just looking for interview questions alone, you can do that in a day too. (except you choose to read other things that are irrelevant to you). And as you can see, I have never been to the US embassy before. Most most of the the answers I am giving you come from this same thread.

The is one important question I want you to answer. Lets assume I am the consular, and you are the applicant:

Cons: How old are you, and what program are you going for?
You: I am 27 years old, going for a bachelors degree as a transfer student.
Cons: 27? why are you just going for a Bachelors degree at age 27? what have you been doing?
You: I was studying here for an HND.
Cons: So, you have an HND?
you: Yes
Cons: How many years did it take you to get your HND?
You: 4 years, plus one year IT making 5 years
Cons: So, why are you going for an undergraduate degree (transfer student for Bsc) with your HND? why not a graduate degree?
You?

So, please look for a good answer to that before your interview date

@ house. Just as I always said, I have never been to the US embassy before. I only made my inference from what I read on his thread, and I can't even count the numbers of those that have gotten their visas since i joined this thread. I may not be right with my advice to this guy. if you see anything wrong in what i said, please correct it. Then give your inputs too. I don't wish to mislead anyone. Thanks

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@4ril,really appreciate ur concern.about the last question u asked,i believe an HND holder cant go straight for masters except applying for postgraduate which is a year duration then go for masters after that but in the state there is nothing like postgraduate that means you av to apply as transfer student for an undergraduate to spend 2 to 3 semesters which is also a year and i believe that covers postgraduate indirectly or wat do you fink ma bro and the fellas in the house cos i need to be more enlightened before the d day.

SANCIRO
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gulag: 5:44pm On Sep 15, 2010
So guy, whats the verdict- like which visa center and has a higher success rate is better abuja or lagos?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 6:21pm On Sep 15, 2010
my people, i am now ready to pay for my sevis fees. I heard it can be done online. Any clues from the house?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by 4ril: 6:56pm On Sep 15, 2010
@4ril,really appreciate your concern.about the last question u asked,i believe an HND holder cant go straight for masters except applying for postgraduate which is a year duration then go for masters after that but in the state there is nothing like postgraduate that means you av to apply as transfer student for an undergraduate to spend 2 to 3 semesters which is also a year and i believe that covers postgraduate indirectly or wat do you fink ma bro and the fellas in the house cos i need to be more enlightened before the d day.

This is the major reason why I blamed you in my earlier post because you spoke up when you have just few weeks to go. I don't know if it interests you to know that I applied to a graduate school with an HND, and I was admitted for masters. Yes, I was given a pre requisite to take. But I was not given a prerequisite because I applied with HND. I was given that prerequisite because  I need some knowledge of OOP (object oriented programing) for my Masters, which I didn't take while in my HND program. So assuming I took OOP during my HND, I would have been admitted for the Masters straight! That I'm sure. I think my GPA of 3.56 on 4.0, my work experience also helped me too. So, some schools can still admit you graduate studies with your HND. If you are applying with HND, just do your WES evaluation. Once you get the report, it would be converted to Bsc equivalent. Then when the school receives your WES reports, what they see is Bachelors and not HND.

@4ril, I'm applying for a Graduate Course, (Master of Science in Graphic Communications.) Although the required GPA was 3.0, but after the WES evaluation, my GPA was 2.89 as against the required 3.0, but I learnt on the school website that lower Gpa could be considered, based on experience on some of the aspects like photography, desktop publishing, colour mixing, etc. They do not also require TOEFL too, but I sat for one & I got 71, I'm thinking of applying to another institution, just not to keep all the eggs in one basket. I've been on the application issue since January, but the delay was between WES & Poly Ibadan.

@ wilfrem
Please look for other schools as well. You may still find some with G.P.A of 2.50 on a 4.o scale. but you have to do the research yourself. You may try http://www.univsource.com . You can search by state or type of ownership (either private or public). Then I will advise you take GRE or GMAT depending on the test required by the school. This way, even if your GPA is low, they may still consider your test scores if its high.

l hail all the gurus here,l have just started learning from this wonderful thread.l had given up on going abroad for studies not untill l stubbed at this very informative thread.Pls l need a solution to the challenge of going to study at graduate level in the united states.l finised from a Polytechnic,Yabatech.l had a CGPA of 2.94 over 4.00 total,in Business Administration.l want to know if l am to apply for PostGraduate Diploma or MBA.
l need experienced people to please help to tackle this challenge.l dont want those who will rain insults on me in the name of profering solutions.

deevick246
Please apply to a graduate school, and yes! Masters directly. If you have 2.94 on your school transcript, I am sure you will have above 3.0 on your WES evaluation. I am too sure about that! But you have to take GMAT. The exam is much more important for those going for MBA. Infact, if you go to MBA.com ( http://www.mba.com ) it will take you to the website which gives you information about GMAT. This tells you how important the GMAT is, for an MBA program. If you have a very good GMAT score, with a good WES evaluation of your MBA, its likely that some schools will admit you. For example, University of the District of Columbia (http://www.udc.edu ). I met with thew director or International programs and Exchange of that school last year when he came to Nigeria. He told me all I am telling you now. When he got to the US, he presented my case with the faculties. And they have been contacting me since to send my application. In fact, they said I am qualified, and Yes with the HND. It may interest you to know that the Associate Dean of the graduate school of Business is a Nigerian. An Igbo man. Please find below a copy of his last email to me.

"Thank you for your interest in the University of the District of Columbia graduate program. Please find attached the School of Business and Public Administration graduate admissions requirements. I encourage you to complete and submit your application for admission as quickly as possible and notify me. As you can tell, I am also a Nigerian. Rest assured that I will do my best to facilitate your admission and enrollment.
Happy New Year!

Sincerely,

Chigbo Ofong

Chigbo Ofong, Ph.D., Associate Dean
School of Business and Public Administration
University of the District of Columbia
4200 Connecticut Avenue NW
Washington DC 20008
Phone: 202-274-7000
Fax: 202-274-7105"

Why did I take my time to give you all these info? I just want to encourage you. Even if some good for nothing schools in our own country (Nigeria) will still not admit you directly for a Masters degree with your HND, some nice schools in the US will still appreciate what you have. See why the US is also called the God's own country?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 6:59pm On Sep 15, 2010
@veterans in the house
i found out i can pay my sevis fees at www.fmjfees.com
i need to know if the embassy here accepts online printouts because the website says the embassy should verify electronically.
I need to know what is acceptable here pls.
I need some urgent reply oh
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 7:20pm On Sep 15, 2010
benom:

@veterans in the house
i found out i can pay my sevis fees at www.fmjfees.com
i need to know if the embassy here accepts online printouts because the website says the embassy should verify electronically.
I need to know what is acceptable here pls.
I need some urgent reply oh

u should confirm dat cos normally dey dont accept online payment from Nigeria but some guys do make payment at seme, so be on the lookout
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by adeniyi7: 7:29pm On Sep 15, 2010
HI friends,Thank GOD 4 mi,l got my Entry clearance 2day, Regards & Repects
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sanciro: 10:00pm On Sep 15, 2010
adeniyi7:

HI friends,Thank GOD 4 mi,l got my Entry clearance 2day, Regards & Repects

@adeniyi7,am really hapi for u dude.will be very glad if you can post ur xperience so that we we could make reference to it cos ma interview is around the corner in the next 3working days
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 6:33am On Sep 16, 2010
@house, i checked the website. It says that i can pay for my sevis fee online or have someone do it for me. It also gives the option of paying for express delivery of the sevp receipt.
I just need to know if anyone has tried it in the house before.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 1:49pm On Sep 16, 2010
@house, thanks. I was able to figure out what i needed.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 7:13pm On Sep 16, 2010
@ all in the house
I need some info please. I finally received my I-20 today and discovered that I got a conditional admission.
Do you think i should go ahead with this I-20 to the embassy or just get a fresh admission from another school?
I need some quick response pls.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 10:25pm On Sep 16, 2010
Hi guys i need response fast oh!
Can I go for interview with a conditional admission??
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by vandops(m): 11:26pm On Sep 16, 2010
benom:

@ all in the house
I need some info please. I finally received my I-20 today and discovered that I got a conditional admission.
Do you think i should go ahead with this I-20 to the embassy or just get a fresh admission from another school?
I need some quick response pls.

why conditional in the first place?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 11:51pm On Sep 16, 2010
I have a BSc in Elect/Elect and I want to do MSc in Information Systems.
So the school said i have to take 2 extra courses when i get there
ACC201 and ACC202.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 1:51pm On Sep 17, 2010
@veterans in the house, where una dey oh! Abeg I need to know if I can go to the embassy with a conditional admission based on the fact that I have to take 2 accounting courses when i get there.
I need to know if this is a red flag so i can abandon it and source for another one.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by lekkynel: 2:23pm On Sep 17, 2010
hello guys, pls i want to apply for a student visa in a university in california, america, can you pls tell how amma go about it, pls you guys have to help me out, i need the information very urgently
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by lekkynel: 2:31pm On Sep 17, 2010
hello guys, pls i want to apply for a student visa in a university in california, america, can you pls tell how amma go about it, pls you guys have to help me out, i need the information very urgently, i mean wat process do i av to go tru first before i start to apply, pls i need an urgent guyz
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nethacker(m): 6:54pm On Sep 17, 2010
vandops:

why conditional in the first place?
oga where d Bleep hv u been all this while? angry angry whr in maryland r u?hit me up i am in baltimore wink
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sanciro: 10:56pm On Sep 17, 2010
hello good guys in the house.just want to let you guys know that ma interview is on monday sept20,will be very glad if u guys can give me some advise or more info on how to go about it apart from digesting all the pages in this thread which i av done already cos i cant wait to post ma success interview and i believe in ALMIGHTY ALLAH dat everything will work out fine for me on that day,

Hope to read from you guys ASAP especially from SUPERBRAIN.

SANCIRO
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by aroy1: 11:29pm On Sep 17, 2010
sanciro : You should stop being apprehensive. By the way, which post would you be appearing for the interview?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sanciro: 12:23am On Sep 18, 2010
aroy1:

sanciro : You should stop being apprehensive. By the way, which post would you be appearing for the interview?

@aroy1,aint being apprehensive,just trying to cover all angles cos no tyme to check tyme
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 3:20am On Sep 18, 2010
benom:

@veterans in the house, where una dey oh! Abeg I need to know if I can go to the embassy with a conditional admission based on the fact that I have to take 2 accounting courses when i get there.
I need to know if this is a red flag so i can abandon it and source for another one.

You can. Just make sure you can explain if asked. Try to take along an evidence too, probably an email from the school indicating a deficiency in your background and the reason for the conditional admission. If the deficiency is as a result of poor grades and it is indicated in the email, then tough luck. But if it is due to a deficiency the undergraduate coursework then you have leverage. Trust me, the consulars know that we have a terrible educational system.

sanciro:

hello good guys in the house.just want to let you guys know that ma interview is on monday sept20,will be very glad if u guys can give me some advise or more info on how to go about it apart from digesting all the pages in this thread which i av done already cos i cant wait to post ma success interview and i believe in ALMIGHTY ALLAH dat everything will work out fine for me on that day,

Hope to read from you guys ASAP especially from SUPERBRAIN.

SANCIRO

Bro, you'll be the first Spring 2011 candidate for interview. Abeg, start the victory chain reaction. As concerns your interview, post the documents you have with you, red flags you hope to cover-up, and your major other school details. No need to be apprehensive though I understand the anxiety part.  wink But you have just two days to go. Any suggestions now about what you should have done or shouldn't have will only make you more anxious. The ball is in your court.

lekkynel:

hello guys, pls i want to apply for a student visa in a university in california, america, can you pls tell how amma go about it, pls you guys have to help me out, i need the information very urgently, i mean wat process do i av to go tru first before i start to apply, pls i need an urgent guyz

Lekkynel, your starting point should be from page 1 of this thread. Trust me, you won't have much questions after you have perused the whole 127 pages. ( 127?  shocked) You can save them to a flash disk or harddrive and read offline.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sanciro: 7:08am On Sep 18, 2010
@superbrain and others in the house i pray and i wont let all the spring
applicants down cos i guess i am the first person going for the spring
interview which i believe with ALMIGHTY ALLAH and u guys in the house
that evrything will go well and smooth for me monday,cant wait to post my
success story.Here are the documents i willbe taking along and incase
i wll be adding any docs toit,u guys should let me know,

international passport

two passports photograph

admission letter

i20 form

ds 160 confirmaton

appointment letter

sevis fee confirmtion

VFS receipt

MRV receipt

waec result

Tanscipts{the school waived TOEFL,SAT and others exams for
nigerians

nysc discharge certificate

birth certificate

bank statement of ma dad

letter of sponsor

provisional appiontment letter from a big and notable company
in nigeria that want to offer me job after my studies in the
state from the HR manager

correspondece from the two schools applied for.

and above all GOD"S FAVOUR cos its not by all these docs

let me read from the house ASAP if there is need to add anny docs

SANCIRO

(1) (2) (3) ... (125) (126) (127) (128) (129) (130) (131) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.