Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,225 members, 7,825,865 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:28 AM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (125) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (546454 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 9:59pm On Sep 06, 2010
House,i no know wetin dey happen ooo,i tracked my passport with VFS but learnt the embassy havent submitted it.Whatdo you think is happening, I am afraid oo as my school resumes 10th sept.Superbrain,where are u?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by femiap: 10:09pm On Sep 06, 2010
@superbrain, femy804000@gmail.com
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by DASLEEKY: 10:11pm On Sep 06, 2010
OjaP:

House,i no know wetin dey happen ooo,i tracked my passport with VFS but learnt the embassy havent submitted it.Whatdo you think is happening, I am afraid oo as my school resumes 10th sept.Superbrain,where are u?

dude go ahead and book ur flight, ur passport go soon show, No doubt!
safe journey bro,

@God pikin, why have u not been on YIM/online, abi u still dey pay to surf web ?lol
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by aroy1: 10:17pm On Sep 06, 2010
ojap

It normally takes 2-3 business days after interview for issuance of US non-immigrant visa. Today is Labour Day in the United States and the embassy observes the public holiday. Do the maths.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 10:35pm On Sep 06, 2010
@afoy,theconsular said i should go and pic it up today,if today,it should have relected on their site,Kspecial tracked his and it is available for pick up,We had the interview same day,Can u now see what i am saying?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by aroy1: 10:46pm On Sep 06, 2010
Ojap

Then, maybe your visa has been revoked! In that case, they will call you sometimes this week to come for the collection of your blank passport.

You worry unnecessarily. At the end of tomorrow or Wednesday, your visa will be ready. I hope you haven't had a heart attack before then.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 11:03pm On Sep 06, 2010
@Aroy,abeg no kill me ooooo,wetin be revoke?Lol///no talk bad thing abeg, lol
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by 4ril: 12:22am On Sep 07, 2010
@ HOUSE, apart from myself,superbrain and benom,pls who else wants to join the train to yankee come spring oh,we need to start rubbing minds oh,this has bn the norms on this thread oh.abeg make una come out make una no use sand spoil my garri grin grin grin grin

My guy, I'm part of you guys. Looking forward to spring too. One love!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 2:12am On Sep 07, 2010
u are welcome on board 4ril. By God's grace we will all get it. Lets be free to share with one another cause together we can make it.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sparta2: 9:18am On Sep 07, 2010
OjaP:

Go to the collection centre,and find out what's happenning first hand.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by masepat: 9:28am On Sep 07, 2010
@OjaP, Not to worry. U will get it. Your friend who requires an admission to Penn State should please contact the school directly, as their departmental requirements vary. For my department, it was a min of 3.0 GPA. GRE wasn't required for admission but compulsory for assistnshp.

@superbrain, kindly drop your email address here so I can write you.

@femiap and 4ril, I am for spring,2011. Please we really need to work in this bond. Others should please identify themselves with us.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Abgovernor: 10:47am On Sep 07, 2010
@ Ojap: You will definitely have your stamped passport with visa. So, panic not!!!!!

House: My I-20 and admission letter has just arrived. Hep me to thank God, because when you praise him, he will do more. I am married and i am going for Bsc. I dont have TOEFL and SAT, though its stated on the I-20 that "the sc[b]h requires TOEFL but that i have English Proficiency"[/b]. Is there any red in the above?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gulag: 1:40pm On Sep 07, 2010
My friend was in the same situation. It is a US holiday on Monday, and so the US embassy are enjoying their holidays. No disturb them abeg, just relax, they did not revoke nothing
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Dantecmu(m): 2:00pm On Sep 07, 2010
@ojap i can imagine ur fears but guy u calm down monday was labour day ok nobody works on labour day even private guys here dont work on labour day abi u dey go work on workersday for naij anyways i fink collection of pasports starts by 1pm den the ups guys should have delivered ur visa to the vfs office ok so u calm down yankyy no run ooo infact after we die yankyy go still dey exist infact come self come join the hussle, lol
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 8:25pm On Sep 07, 2010
I finally got the VISA this fternoon around 3pm,i will be flying DELTA by thursday to Atlanta.@Spring hopefuls,dont worry,God will do it and you will be given the VISA.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by femiap: 10:15pm On Sep 07, 2010
@masepat, no wahala oh,so which skool r u looking @
@4ril, bro i feel you,which skool and course u looking @
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by 4ril: 10:30pm On Sep 07, 2010
@Ojap
I finally got the VISA this fternoon around 3pm,i will be flying DELTA by thursday to Atlanta.@Spring hopefuls,dont worry,God will do it and you will be given the VISA.
Thank God for you man! And have a safe trip. Catch you up there at spring.

For now, I can see that masepat, femiap, superbrain, benom and of course, myself have identified ourselves for spring 2011. Who else is for spring 2011? To start with, I think we should all start pouring out what ever seems to give us some worries here, so that others can give advices on that. For me, the only thing that seems to bother me a little bit, is that my uncle is my sponsor. He doesn't even share the same surname with me, because he is my mother's younger brother. However, I choose not to let that distract me, because I am confident that I will always have good answers for the consular. And about my application status; I was admitted for Fall 2010 before, but I had to defer to spring 2011. So, I am waiting for a new I-20 and admission letter for spring 2011.

Other Spring hopefuls. Is there anything that bothers you?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by 4ril: 10:54pm On Sep 07, 2010
@femiap
@4ril, bro i feel you,which skool and course u looking @
Thanks for contacting me. I am going for a Masters Degree in Management Information Systems, to specialize in E-Business at Bowie State University, MD. No GMAT is required for the program, but GMAT and GRE is required for MBA and some other Post graduate programs. Though GMAT is not required for the program, but a strong G.P.A is required and WES evaluation is compulsory! The GMAT is not required, yet I took it because of those naughty consulars, and so that I can apply to other schools that may require it. The graduate school says that the minimum GPA of any applicant should be 2.50 on a 4.0 scale. But according to my graduate counsellor, its unlikely that G.P.As less than 3.0 will get admitted because the low G.P.A requirement leads to some competition among applicants, and those with higher G.P.As are considered first. Well, I gave them a G.P.A of 3.56 on a 4.0 scale. I got admission decision over the phone in 2 weeks (though I initiated the calls), and my admission letter for Fall 2010 came a month latter. But I deferred to spring 2011.

That is all about my admission status. How about yours?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by kwizzy212: 12:01am On Sep 08, 2010
I am also here for undergrad spring 2011, sure we will all make it this spring again
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by DASLEEKY: 1:52am On Sep 08, 2010
OjaP:

Sup OjaP, dropped an offline message 4 u on your YIM, Pls dolet me know what's up wit that, I appreciate.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by masepat: 8:11am On Sep 08, 2010
@femiap, the school is Penn State Uni and I am in for a Masters program.

@4ril, don't worry, we will all put heads 2gether to answer the uncle/aunty issue when the time is appropriate. My aunty is my sponsor too with disimilar surnames. I defered to Spring to enable me have more time to prepare as I couldn't meet up with Fall, 2010.

@House, If you are a Niger Delta indigene and you applied for the scholarship scheme, kindly advise the house if you get contacted.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by 4ril: 3:30pm On Sep 08, 2010
@kwizzy212
I am also here for undergrad spring 2011, sure we will all make it this spring again
Welcome on board!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seniorak47(m): 5:24pm On Sep 08, 2010
House; am doing good here at NYC. My class starts today, can't wait to see what the experience will be like, lol!

Please, I have a friend who graduated with a GPA of 4.47/5.0 in Elect/Elect, has CCNA & CCNP, has had communication satelite experience for more than 3-yrs. He had GRE score of 1240/1600 some yrs back but am not sure if its still valid for new application. The questions are; can he go for Phd direct or Msc? He needs funding from the school, What moderately high ranking schools would be perfect and provide scholarship, assistantship, tuition waiver etc? He is intersted in telecommunications and Satellite controls engineering or some sort like that, What are his chances?

Please, help by responding, I will also appreciate direct email via senior4real@yahoo.co.uk

Thank you.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 7:57pm On Sep 08, 2010
@4ril, my uncle is sponsoring me too and we don't have thesame surname. I strongly believe in allowing God to do His work. I got admission to study MIS.
The main thing now is prayers so that we can say the right thing at the right time and get our visa.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by mohaka(m): 8:50pm On Sep 08, 2010
well spring guys count me in coz am also going 4 undergraduate n waiting for the admission from the school i applied to.my main worry is the fact that i got denied a month ago because i was naive enough and applied to a 2yr college rather than a proper university.but God willing the nxt time i go back to the embassy i'll be mo prepared and focused.my main worry now is what to tell the consular when he brings about reasons of my previous denial,any suggestions would rily boost me
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 9:06pm On Sep 08, 2010
Ok lest go there.
I have a laminated weac certificate. What do i do about it. Does it need some form of authentication before i use it? I'm asking because someone told me laminated documents cannot be verified @ embasies hence not accepted. How true is this?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 9:41pm On Sep 08, 2010
masepat:

@femiap, the school is Penn State Uni and I am in for a Masters program.

@4ril, don't worry, we will all put heads 2gether to answer the uncle/aunty issue when the time is appropriate. My aunty is my sponsor too with disimilar surnames. I defered to Spring to enable me have more time to prepare as I couldn't meet up with Fall, 2010.

@House, If you are a Niger Delta indigene and you applied for the scholarship scheme, kindly advise the house if you get contacted.

Oga, no worry. I'm also waiting on them (NDDC) too. I gbadun that your school. Wanted to apply there for Masters in EME but they never replied my mails and were always rude on the phone. "Deuces" to them,

OjaP:

Safe trip tomorrow bro. Keep in touch. See you next summer.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 10:14pm On Sep 08, 2010
House,i am preparing,what will i prsent at the Point of Entry?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by 4ril: 11:46pm On Sep 08, 2010
@ benom
@4ril, my uncle is sponsoring me too and we don't have thesame surname. I strongly believe in allowing God to do His work. I got admission to study MIS.
The main thing now is prayers so that we can say the right thing at the right time and get our visa.

which school admitted you?

Ok lest go there.
I have a laminated weac certificate. What do i do about it. Does it need some form of authentication before i use it? I'm asking because someone told me laminated documents cannot be verified @ embasies hence not accepted. How true is this?

What program are you going for? Graduate or undergraduate?

I also have my WAEC result laminated, but I choose not to get worried for the following reasons. First, I heard that the embassy only boarders so much on WAEC for undergraduate degrees. But I am going for a graduate degree, so I expect them to focus more on my transcripts or standardized tests. I will still go with the laminated WAEC with a scratch card. I heard here on NL too that laminated result could still be verified. But in case that is not true, then the scratch card could help in their instant verification. So, either its true or false, I full house for them. But I think the safest is that we shouldn't present any document to them, unless they ask for it. And do not make statements that could let them to ask for any documents to prove what you just said.

@ Mohaka
Welcome on board
well spring guys count me in coz am also going 4 undergraduate n waiting for the admission from the school i applied to.my main worry is the fact that i got denied a month ago because i was naive enough and applied to a 2yr college rather than a proper university.but God willing the nxt time i go back to the embassy i'll be mo prepared and focused.my main worry now is what to tell the consular when he brings about reasons of my previous denial,any suggestions would rily boost me.

Well, if I am in your shoes, I have two ways of answering that question. First, the complete truth. Second, I will say the truth, but spice it up with some lies that  would "rily boost me". So, you can choose any one you are comfortable with.

First response (The complete truth)

I was denied because I applied to a 2 year college. The consular who interviewed me then advised that; if I am really serious about studying in the US, I should go back and apply to a University and that is the when he could be of help.

Second Response (The truth with some spice ups (lies) "to boost me"(as quoted)

I applied to a 2 year college and 2 other universities. Unfortunately, the admission letter and I-20 of the college came faster than the universities. To meet up with the with the enrollment deadline of the college, I hurriedly appear for my visa interview without knowing the implication of what I was doing; and I was denied eventually. If the consular gives you the time, you may patch it up with past of the first response like this " The consular who interviewed me then advised that; if I am really serious about studying in the US, I should go back and apply to a University and that is the when he could be of help.

Note: Saying you applied to a college, and two other universities in second response could serve the purpose of "to boost me". So, you must try to go and find out two other universities to tell them. I will even tell them that one of the two universities admitted me eventually. If they ask me for the admission letter for that university that admitted me then, I would say I only bring the I-20 and admission letter that is relevant for this visa application.
On a final note: So, if you are not comfortable with telling lies, you may give response one and stop there. But if you are comfortable with telling lies, response two will not be a bad idea.

So, depending on how "spiri-koko" you are or your religious belief, you may choose which to tell. The truth or spice up the truth with some lies.

Please the gurus on the house; come and help this guy oo. I have not travelled to the US before. I only put myself in his shoes, to look for answers. Your answers might be better than mine. Come out and help!!!!!!!!!!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by aroy1: 11:48pm On Sep 08, 2010
ojaP: From Wuse, can you please give a detailed and cheapest description of getting to US embassy, Abuja? You need  your 1-20, passport, & SEVIS receipt at the POE. Depending at the USCIS staff at Atlanta, you might be ask some questions. Keep your answers related to the questions and you will be fine.

benom : The security feature is still discernible from the lamination. What that person said was misinformation.

mohaka: You tell nothing but the truth when asked the reason for your previous refusal. I see you as better qualified getting the visa if you present a University's I-20.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seniorak47(m): 12:55am On Sep 09, 2010
@house; am still awaiting response to my questions on behalf of my friend . Thanks, ,,.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by aroy1: 2:13am On Sep 09, 2010
seniorak: He is qualified to apply to either. Let him start doing the research himself on funding and others.

(1) (2) (3) ... (122) (123) (124) (125) (126) (127) (128) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.