Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,436 members, 7,861,215 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 07:21 AM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (207) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (547843 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 4:52am On Apr 19, 2011
hmmnnn,wat a gr8 answer, u self don turn to vo and applicant at the same time, kip it up bro, ooooooo.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by naggy: 5:09am On Apr 19, 2011
@dezzy101 getting admission into Dartmouth is like a camel passing through the eye of a needle <you didn't point that out> but nevertheless people still do get in there. It's more like an Ivy League and I know people don't wanna be spending their time waiting to get an admission decision in what would last for months.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by naggy: 5:24am On Apr 19, 2011
@shavel lol I ain't no Consular man and not an applicant either. I used to be one in this forum in the past though so I'm talking based on experience, if anyone feels like finding it useful, then fine, good for them. Otherwise they could kindly disregard it, after all taking one's opinion is voluntary.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by imperiouxx(m): 9:39am On Apr 19, 2011
naggy:

@dezzy101 getting admission into Dartmouth is like a camel passing through the eye of a needle <you didn't point that out> but nevertheless people still do get in there. It's more like an Ivy League and [B]I know people don't wanna be spending their time waiting to get an admission decision in what would last for months.[/B]

How soon does it takes to get decision from some schools?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by deezy101: 12:11pm On Apr 19, 2011
naggy:

@dezzy101 getting admission into Dartmouth is like a camel passing through the eye of a needle <you didn't point that out> but nevertheless people still do get in there. It's more like an Ivy League and I know people don't wanna be spending their time waiting to get an admission decision in what would last for months.

sure youre right naggy. Schools in massachusetts are hard to get into. But i just felt i should share the knowledge
@imperiouxxx, It depends on the school. Some schools would give you a decision in as litttle as 2wks while some would take about 2months, Its advisable that you always communicate with the admission office after applying.
@ house, The A&M schools in texas, and alabama have very relaxed admission policies, So if you havent applied, you might wanna check them out
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 1:19pm On Apr 19, 2011
naggy:

@deezy,am now online on ymsgr, u can com for chats.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 2:34pm On Apr 19, 2011
kaycome:

@shavel I have paid my sevis fee at seme last week. i can give you description of the place. Once you get to mile2, take a car or bus to seme it cost just 400 to 500 naira. Once you alight, take a bike and tell the hausa okada man that you want to cross. Please don't let them know that you are just new to the place. There is a corner that dose okoda men will take and within 3 minute you''ll arrive at your destination. Tell the okada man that you are going to ecobank. It is just a stone throw from the border. I gave the bike man 150 naira. Please don't go and meet the immigration men oooooooo!!!! and you don't need any yellow card. the security man at the bank will help you on how you can change you naira to cafter. He is very nice to people who want to pay sevis fee. finally i will advise you to prepare sometin around #35,000 for the fee and charges. wish you journey mercy!!!!!!!!!!!!
@deezy,u can also see this for urself on pg 205
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by deezy101: 4:33pm On Apr 19, 2011
@shavel: thanks very much bro, God bless you
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 4:48pm On Apr 19, 2011
deezy101:

@shavel: thanks very much bro,  God bless you
u welcome bro,@house,abeg where visuals dey make he com tell us how hin interview take go.oooo
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Emmanuelson(m): 4:56pm On Apr 19, 2011
abeg make hin kon talk how d interview be ooooooooooo.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by visuals(m): 12:04am On Apr 20, 2011
shavel:

u welcome bro,@house,abeg where visuals dey make he com tell us how hin interview take go.oooo

Interview ke? I just went to Ojuelegba today to go and book for Abuja trip for Wednesday's night bus,so as to get there on Thursday Morning before
heading for the embassy. If anyone knows how to get to the embassy from Ekene Park,should pls hint me o.
Is there anyone going for an interview on 21st of April too in the house?
Do I need to go with a GMAT for an MBA at the embassy?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by deezy101: 7:11am On Apr 20, 2011
@visuals
i think the best thing you should do is to take car drop from whereever you are straight to the embassy. The traffic situation in abuja is horrible now and you wouldnt wanna be late. Just go wit enough money sha
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by imperiouxx(m): 7:12am On Apr 20, 2011
deezy101:

sure youre right naggy. Schools in massachusetts are hard to get into. But i just felt i should share the knowledge
@imperiouxxx,  It depends on the school. Some schools would give you a decision in as litttle as 2wks while some would take about 2months,  Its advisable that you always communicate with the admission office after applying.
@ house,[B] The A&M schools in texas, and alabama have very relaxed admission policies,  So if you havent applied, you might wanna check them out[/B]

You call that relaxed admission policies? when all of them are asking for either TOEFL or GRE or they asked for both the two tests. I'm tired of replies from texas. They are all the same. Na state school in texas I dey talk about ooo.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by kidUrbane: 9:33am On Apr 20, 2011
@naggy:am planning to apply to a community college.what are my chances, I've been made to believe that the VO would automatically refuse anyone from Nigeria applying to community colleges, please I'd appreciate guidelines and advise regarding this issue.
Regards.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nnamdistan: 10:49am On Apr 20, 2011
Hi pple, I was referred here by a friend. I applied to 10 schools and 1 school early decision. I got into my early decision school on a full scholarship. I did both SAT and TOEFL and i got good scores including a record 119 on the toefl. smileyMy family is of modest means and I am worried that it could pose a problem for me when it comes to visa interview because my parents have neither large bank accounts nor landed property that i could show as source of ties.

Also I am to resume in August, is it too early for me to go to usatraveldocs to start booking for an appointment? Can I book an appointment without paying the visa fee? I read a post earlier by seedord that seems to say to but I want clarification because I am still trying to raise the money for visa fee.

Also do i need to tell the consular that I applied to 10 schools when i am asked.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Emmanuelson(m): 10:59am On Apr 20, 2011
@nnamdistan u nid to pay for visa fee and sevis fee bf u go for interview.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nnamdistan: 12:40pm On Apr 20, 2011
thanks emmanuelson. I would like to know if i have to pay for the visa fee and sevis fee before I am able to book a date for the interview on their website.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Emmanuelson(m): 2:05pm On Apr 20, 2011
nnamdistan
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Emmanuelson(m): 2:12pm On Apr 20, 2011
@nnamdistan i think u ll pay for visa fee before u buk appointment.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by deeprimix: 4:49pm On Apr 20, 2011
na wao, 2day maks my 2nd trial yet no show,i waz interviewed by a lady, i think a blakamerican in lagos,she isnt wyt, we raped wel but i'z suprised she refused me, although she askd my age-26 and wat am doin now-said on a diploma course n cutin a job castualy, i tire 4ds Bsc tin o,is it a crime 2v 2 undagraduate degrees b4 a masters,its my money i'l spend 4anoda bsc abroad,dnt dey get dat, fall is august! @solo4deji pls can i get ur yahoo id, so we culd share stufs 2geda,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by deeprimix: 4:58pm On Apr 20, 2011
pls any1 in d house help out wit were i can pay my visa fee dat's close to festac, i only knw of Gtbank in v.i but its too far 4me, pls help wit closeth adres. Of payment
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by solo4deji(m): 5:12pm On Apr 20, 2011
deeprimix ehen sorry well hook me up dis is my YM I.D solo4bean88@yahoo.com let talk
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by phy: 6:41pm On Apr 20, 2011
Shavel: @house,wats the chance of me getting my f1 on the 17th of may coz i'll be going along wit a community college's i20,my major is nursing and am jes 17+ of age

Hi Shavel, I reacted to your above post earlier relying on the info from it. Pls note that I never knew you were reffering to Dartmouth College, all that i could deduce was a 2-yr community college prog which is ND equivalent in Nigeria. Believe me, i was never trying to discourage you but help one another and not forgetting the fact that we are all not VOs.
For the purpose of clarity, in future always put the correct info to avoid any form of nagging. Wishing you and all the best as you prepare for your interviews.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by naggy: 12:47am On Apr 21, 2011
Dartmouth College (New Hampshire) is one out of the six colleges/universities in the entire US that offers "full need blind financial aid" to international students and it's also reputed as an Ivy. Because of this, you should be able to get a picture of how competitive it will be getting into that school, I got a Nigerian friend though who attends there and according to him, if you are very lucky to get in there then you will most certainly be able to finance your education all the way regardless of your families economic status. The admission requirements isn't what I can start counting out here but it is way too much. If you are a fire brain then sure you can give it a shot, all the best!!!!

Then one thing about Massachusetts is that the city is relatively small and majority of the population are students because of the number of institutions there are numerous. If you are applying to top schools, you should be aware that they receive thousands of application worldwide so your chances of getting an admission decision could take up to months unlike when your applying to moderate ranked schools which could take as little as 2weeks. So check with the school's admission policy before you get committed to them, that's my best advise.

And as for those paying SEVIS fee, why would you want to waste your time and resources traveling all the way to another place just to get the fees paid. I will tell you this! If you got families here or a highly trusted friend, simply send them the $200 and ask them to pay it for you via "Western Union Quick Pay" or "check or money order". That was how I paid mine during my time so I didn't have to go through all those hassles. Please I ain't in no way soliciting to help anyone make any payment. I am only but sharing my own experience which I hope someone would find useful.

@kidUrbane, thanks for sharing that. I give my words that there is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing a community college. If you're in the right age (not so important) , the school is licensed, you know what you want and reasons for choosing that school as well as being able to convey it to the consular, you are as good as being on the edge like other applicants who are going with four year college's I-20. Like I keep saying and would never stop, your chances of getting a visa is 100% if you put everything to God. Don't trust your instincts or what others might say to you. It's appalling how some fellaz here have instilled false information and fear to applicants concerning this issue. It's totally FALSE. Good luck to you and should you require more scopes please share it on here and I hope to assist however I can.

Best wishes to you all finding their way here soon and once again I want to use this opportunity to appeal to all members, particularly those who were actively participating on this forum last year. It is not good that you came here and got all the info you needed which helped you secure your visa or not and at the end of the day, you are no where to be found. It is being very ungrateful, you guys should please come back and assist these upcoming ones. Don't forget sometime ago you were in the same shoes as them - being very anxious and seeking for information. Now that you made it through by God's grace, please show some appreciation by returning and share your experiences or make intellectual contributions . Peace out!!! smiley smiley smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gendebs(m): 8:05pm On Apr 21, 2011
Pls house gurus wat d chance of getin an early decision frm a university dat waive applicatn fee. Waz also d chance of findin favour in d sight of d consular wit a university waiver i-20
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gendebs(m): 8:05pm On Apr 21, 2011
Pls house gurus wat d chance of getin an early decision frm a university dat waive applicatn fee. Waz also d chance of findin favour in d sight of d consular wit a university waiver i-20
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nnamdistan: 10:20pm On Apr 21, 2011
Thanks Emmanuelson for your reply. I am grateful. Please can anyone tell me if it is true that dates are a scarce commodity? I am confused because it seems there is no way i can fill my ds 160 without receiving my I-20. Yet my I-20 will arrive Naija by June 5 and my school expects me to resume by August 8. I am worried that by that time, I will be unable to schedule an appointment in time for my travel date.

Also I am in Abuja and I hear all this talk of going to Seme border to pay for SEVIS. I can't do that. Is there any other way I pay for SEVIS (I don't have relations abroad, only friends and I'm not sure they have a domiciliary account for me to send them money).

Thanks for answering guys.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by deezy101: 10:38pm On Apr 21, 2011
nnamdistan:

Thanks Emmanuelson for your reply. I am grateful. Please can anyone tell me if it is true that dates are a scarce commodity? I am confused because it seems there is no way i can fill my ds 160 without receiving my I-20. Yet my I-20 will arrive Naija by June 5 and my school expects me to resume by August 8. I am worried that by that time, I will be unable to schedule an appointment in time for my travel date.

Also I am in Abuja and I hear all this talk of going to Seme border to pay for SEVIS. I can't do that. Is there any other way I pay for SEVIS (I don't have relations abroad, only friends and I'm not sure they have a domiciliary account for me to send them money).

Thanks for answering guys.

hello there nnamdi, i think its true, but i wouldnt want you to entertain any fear. i received my own I-20 for the fall semester on tuesday and i booked my own appointment today. i didnt want a date in may(remaining available days in may were 25th, 26th and i think 31st) so i picked a date in june and the first available date in june was 21st, so since youre going to be getting your I-20 on the 5th of june, you should be looking at early to mid july. i would advise that you get your $140 ready so that you can pay immediately you get the I-20. As for the SEVIS fee, am sorry the only two options you have is to go to seme or to have someone in the US pay it for you. since you said you dont know anyone in the US, i suggest you start contacting people you know in Lagos so that they can help you about the seme thing, you can also try and contact members of this forum who are in the US if they can help you, but please be careful who you send money to, i wish you all the best
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nnamdistan: 10:46pm On Apr 21, 2011
Thanks deezy. Hey, I have a friend in the US who is wililng to pay for me through his credit credit card. Does anyone know if a US credit card is acceptable? Obviously, if Seme is the only way that means that Nigerian credit cards as well as paying western union is not acceptable. Just out of curiosity, does anyone know why those avenues of payments are not available?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 11:30pm On Apr 21, 2011
@hou,av got a problem to share, /d prob is av bukd an appt and i'll b going wit a comm coll's i20 and major is nursing, if am askd by vo why a comm coll and nt a uni,wat shld b d best response, pls nid d best reply.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 11:35pm On Apr 21, 2011
@hou,av got a problem to share, /d prob is av bukd an appt and i'll b going wit a comm coll's i20 and major is nursing, if am askd by vo why a comm coll and nt a uni,wat shld b d best response, pls nid d best reply.

(1) (2) (3) ... (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.