Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,448 members, 7,846,866 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 04:46 AM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (83) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (547212 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by waleprizu: 10:32pm On Jun 09, 2010
Hello house, pls is it possible to pay the sevis online, A friend of mine in europe want to help me pay the money with his card, house please reply ASAP,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 11:15pm On Jun 09, 2010
^^^no it is not possible to pay online if u r from Nigeria.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by shilling(f): 6:18am On Jun 10, 2010
True!!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by frankike1: 8:53am On Jun 10, 2010
AM HAPPY that such an interesting thread exist in this forum. pls i want to know if it is possible for USA embassy to issue visa without GRE test? my school does not require me to write any test.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nwaoma009: 12:21pm On Jun 10, 2010
@ seadog406 thanks alot, i have applied to 4 schools now, oakwood university lee university and south Carolina state university, now voorhees college gv me admission and am still waiting for my I 20 to reach me,i think by ending of this month i will get it.am worried because by d time i will get the 1 20 and my admission letter it will be late to apply because July dates might have finish.can i still book for ang ncase d July own is filled up. my school will open on 9Th ang. seadog406 pls help me with more interview question and answer.
Thanks smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seadog406: 1:47pm On Jun 10, 2010
nwaoma009:

@ seadog406 thanks alot, i have applied to 4 schools now, oakwood university lee university and south Carolina state university, now voorhees college gv me admission and am still waiting for my I 20 to reach me,i think by ending of this month i will get it.am worried because by d time i will get the 1 20 and my admission letter it will be late to apply because July dates might have finish.can i still book for ang ncase d July own is filled up. my school will open on 9Th ang. seadog406 pls help me with more interview question and answer.
Thanks smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley,

Well i think since you've been given admission and school resumes Aug 9th,can you ask the school to scan a copy of the I-20 to you,so that you can use it to book an appointment,against July.and also ask them what courier service was used for the documents sent,and if possible ask for the tracking number so that you can always track it online, and for interview question and answers, I can always bet it with u.go through this thread,and your visa is around the corner, All the best,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seadog406: 1:49pm On Jun 10, 2010
By this time tomorrow,i should have received God's favour, though still having cold feet, smiley wink grin grin
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Kenzema(m): 4:49pm On Jun 10, 2010
seadog406:

By this time tomorrow,i should have received God's favour, though still having cold feet, smiley wink grin grin
Go for the eagle man. The LORD will favour u in Jesus Name Amen.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by 2gd: 6:19pm On Jun 10, 2010
MAKE UNA PRAISE THE LORD 4 ME.

I HAVE A TESTIMONY!

Yesterday when I checked my mail around 8pm , I saw that I had been granted an emergency appointment at Abuja slated for 1pm today.
Travelled to ABJ this morning.

Consular(very pleasant man, handsome too  smiley ): Hello
Me: Good morning sir.
Consular: Can I have your documents please?
I hand them to him.

Consular: So why do u want to study this course at the JHU?
Me: Because it's the best school of public health in the US and the best in the world
Consular(cuts me short) Indeed it is.It's a good school.
Can I have your transcripts and GRE scores?(He looks through them, Makes some comments on the areas where I had high scores,asked what my  undergraduate project was in. He asked for the hypothesis)
How many years did you spend in school.
Me: I spent 7 years for a 6 year course because of ASUU strikes
Consular: What causes these strikes?It's really a shame that you have this in your educational system
Me: ASUU strikes are usually caused by a misunderstanding between the Federal Govt and ASUU. Not paying the right salaries or the govt  not funding education like they should.

Consular:So it's a problem with who pays the bills.
Me:Yes

Consular: Have u finished your undergraduate education?(Note this is a psychological question to see if I was lying.The guy was holding my transcripts in his hand.)

Consular: You've been refused a visa before? In 2008?
Me: Yes.

Consular: You have any siblings in the US?
Me: Yes.
Consular:Where are they and what are they doing? bla bla
Me: I told him.

Consular:Are you going to see one of your siblings once u arrive in the USA?
ME:No , I am going straight to school.

Consular: So they may come and visit  you instead?
Me: Yes,most likely.

Consular: What are you doing now?
Me: Nothing. I am not working(now this is a very risky thing to say.)

Consular: Where were you working before and what were you doing?
Me: I told him.

Consular:Why did you leave?
Me:Jos crisis

Consular: What are you gonna do after the program.
Me: I could work with the ministry of health, or the ministry of agriculture.Or NAFDAC.

Consular: Is rabies a problem here in Nigeria?They usually tell  our people who want to come here, to be very careful .
Me: Yes it is

Consular: But I have not seen any case of rabies
Me: I have .I have been exposed to a rabid's dog 's saliva before and had to take post exposure prophylaxis

Consular(smiling): I hope they didnt give it to you straight to your heart(gesturing with his hands)
Mesad I laughed)
Consular: I prefer the ones they give here(pointing to his arm)

Consular: So why are u as a veterinarian trying to study public health which is more about policy .bla bla,
Me: Public health is a very broad field.It accommodates people from different professions.Besides animal health is linked to human health.There are diseases that are transmitted between animals and man and vice versa.They are called zoonoses.(At this point I stopped talking because the guy wasnt even looking at me anymore.He was furiously typing away into his computer.)

SILENCE, more typing
SILENCE.more typing

At a point I began to wonder whether he wasn't just acting for me, The typing was just too fast and furious to be real, Maybe he was trying to decide whther to give me or not

Consular: I will give you your visa.Come collect on Monday.
He hands over all my docs to me.

SHIKENA
.God be praised

I am so grateful to God.I had less than 24 hrs notice and I had to travel from d southwest to ABj.I slept only 2 hrs yestrday.Was worried/trying to prepare for the interview.

He didnt even ask for my financial docs.
He only asked for the passport, i20, gre and transcripts.

God be praised.

Lesson learned:
1Trust God, it's not about the number of documents u carry.It's favor.
2 Be truthful.

1 Like

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by godash(m): 7:22pm On Jun 10, 2010
Great tips people!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Lekel(m): 7:32pm On Jun 10, 2010
Hello all,

Here's where the story started from,

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-240241.2368.html#msg6034689

then

www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-240241.2336.html#msg6028111

So today, I went for my Student Visa interview ,  and Praise God for His Blessing,  I got it.

I was asked basic questions (ofcourse) and thrown some curveballs. But didn't show a single document though i had a bag full of my entire life history.

Questions were,

* So you are going for some sort of advanced degree or something? ( )
* why do you what to do an MBA?
* what school is it?
* how long is the program?
* have you been to the school?
* what dates where you there?
* how many times have you been to the US?
* is your wife going with you?
* what visa is she on?
* green card?
* how did she get it?
* So she got it when she was like very young?
* so, what does she do in the states?
* do you have children?
* how old is the child?
* where does she work?
* where is that?
* has she filed for you? shocked
* why hasn't she?
* so you'll be leaving together?
* says in your I-20 you got a school loan, how did you get that?
* where do you work now?
* how long have you worked there?
* does your office know you are going?
* are you planning to come back to your work?
* when would you start you own company?
* where did you say your wife works? ( )

Then

"So am going to give you a visa without cancelling your existing Visitor's visa. Be sure to explain to the immigration officier at the port of entry that you are entering on your student visa and not the B1" and he handled me the green slip and VFS address. grin

In my excitment, I forgot to ask for pickup date. So people, pick up is usually three working days after the interview, just like the visiting visas, right?

Thanks for all the wonderful contributions on this forum. Particular to @oyewolejos and @Pittbaby for their insights.

My advise? Know everything you need to know and know it twice (front-to-back, and back-to-front wink ). And DO NOT give false evidence. It could hurt you.

Cheers
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by YoungM1(m): 8:31pm On Jun 10, 2010
Congrats to those that got their visas today,
@seadog406, May God Favour you tomorrow,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seadog406: 9:08pm On Jun 10, 2010
Young M:

@Young M.Gratitudes
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by frankike1: 10:16pm On Jun 10, 2010
pls i want to know if it is possible for USA embassy to issue visa without GRE test? my school does not require me to write any test. to be at the safer side, how should i go about the GRE test, i mean the enrolment and the exam date. i need ur assistance pls
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by DASLEEKY: 10:58pm On Jun 10, 2010
Young M:

Yes oh, @ seadog406, GO SEE AND CONQUER,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by frankike1: 8:40am On Jun 11, 2010
pls i want to know if it is possible for USA embassy to issue visa without GRE test? my school does not require me to write any test. to be at the safer side, how should i go about the GRE test, i mean the enrolment and the exam date. i need your assistance pls
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 9:09am On Jun 11, 2010
^^^Yes, it is possible to get a visa without writing GRE.
But to be in the safer side, write it to avoid long thing at the embassy.

Go to www.gre.org
All the info you need is contained there in.
smiley
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by akonamone(m): 9:18am On Jun 11, 2010
Just discovered this thread, great work everyone, i am going for MPH and my interview is next week friday, however i'm presently not working, my last engagement was just last month, but had to resign due to some issues. I have just been scared about this. I dont want to tell any lie, i just want to present my case exactly as it is, because i know its only God's favour that can help one through. Please house i need tips, thanks.color=#006600][/color][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Lekel(m): 9:27am On Jun 11, 2010
frank_ike:

pls i want to know if it is possible for USA embassy to issue visa without GRE test? my school does not require me to write any test. to be at the safer side, how should i go about the GRE test, i mean the enrolment and the exam date. i need your assistance pls

My take is, 

If it says so on the School's website, then simply provide that as evidence to the embassy. Or better still, if you can get the school to do you an official letter that'll specifically address the "no-GRE" requirement, awesome!

But then, remember ,

It's not a good idea to tell the embassy that this school was the only school you researched and/or applied to.

During my interview yesterday, a guy about 3 steps ahead of me was seriously drilled when he said he applied to other schools apart for the one that admitted him. Even to me, he sounded like he just made the decision to say that on the spot. Now, when he was asked to name the other schools, he equivocated for quite a while. With that kind of weak answer, even I would have asked him to produce some evidence of those other researches/applications. I really felt for the guy and started praying for him. Before he finished, I was called for my interview. So I really can't say for sure he was approved/denied. But it was already heading the wrong direction.

For me, I had to struggle some to mind my own business. I actually caught myself once trying to listen to what was happening at his stand even when I was at mine. So another piece of advice,  As soon as you're called for the actual interview, you need to block out everything else but the interviewer in front of you, his questions and your strong, clear and concise answers to those questions. Knowing that everyone behind you can hear your conversation and thinking about that during you interview can be a distraction.

Cheers
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Cappadona123: 10:07am On Jun 11, 2010
@lekel,thx 4da piece,my interview is on 29th in Abj for pilot training(M-1).DIS IS THE BEST THREAD THREAD,I RECOMMEND IT FOR AN AWARD!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by steve49ja(m): 11:27am On Jun 11, 2010
Hey house, I just got a call from Vandops, saying he got his visa today after being denied in May cheesy

Congrats bro. Share your story as soon as you can.

All remember, together we can rebuild Nigeria. wink
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by 2gd: 12:19pm On Jun 11, 2010
2akonamone:
I also am going for an mph.
I also have not been working for a while.since feb sef.
Read my last post.May God grant u favor before the consular officer.Amen

@ nethacker et all abroad. How do you make cheap calls to Nigerian lines ? Is skype pc to phone the cheapest option? Do you know if Zain has roaming facilities.OR MTN or Glo? I really need to keep in touch with someone here and I want to know the options available.Thanks for all ur help.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 1:38pm On Jun 11, 2010
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, Congrats Vandops!!! Been waiting for your victory report. It takes persistence and determination to go for your dreams. So where the party at? We're waiting to be updated about the interview.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by frankike1: 1:43pm On Jun 11, 2010
@gongo aso: God bless u, i will checkout immediately. pls if there is any way u can assist me with materials pls do. i want to know if i can still meet up this year since my school resumes September?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seadog406: 2:28pm On Jun 11, 2010
Hey Guys, Celebration Mode,
I just got my Visa today at the Lagos Embassy, Tanx to you guys, especially Nethacker,Khunleah,Young M.and the Rest,

Am goin to update you guys soon,have got mad headache afta goin thru diff exercise at the embassy,
Guys gist is comin on the way,
Yipeee grin wink grin grin
Brb
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Superbrain(m): 2:55pm On Jun 11, 2010
seadog406:

Hey Guys, Celebration Mode,
I just got my Visa today at the Lagos Embassy, Tanx to you guys, especially Nethacker,Khunleah,Young M.and the Rest,

Am goin to update you guys soon,have got mad headache afta goin thru diff exercise at the embassy,
Guys gist is comin on the way,
Yipeee grin wink grin grin
Brb

CONGRATULOBIA!!!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by YoungM1(m): 3:16pm On Jun 11, 2010
@ seadog406, Congratulations and thumbs up for you bro,
Sure God was on your side. Update us immediately man, we waiting
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by fagbon01: 5:23pm On Jun 11, 2010
congrats to every body that have gotten their visa,seadog were e dey happen.am hapi 4 u man,
I dey appear by july@abuja,surely i will come share mine joyful story also.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by akonamone(m): 5:30pm On Jun 11, 2010
Big Congratulations to seadog406 and vandops on success in their interviews, please give us details of how it went, i mean questions asked and your responses, so that we can get prepared. I am looking forward to sharing my testimony here next friday.

@2gd so been in employment is not a big deal after all? Thanks all the same.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seadog406: 9:09pm On Jun 11, 2010
Hey Guys,this was how the interview went,i got to the Embassy exactly 6:45am,and as usual i saw my fellow Nigerians already there,and i went inside,went through all normal protocols,dont go in wit ur phone,powder,comb,anointing oil blah blah blah says those VFS officials,guys that paid 131usd for their visa fees,you will pay additional 1400naira to your 20,960naira,they dont want to knw if you've paid before oo, anyway i got inside the main consular department where the interview was goin on, they were 3 consular.One was nice,the other was inbetween and the Last was Mean,
Anyway i prayed to be interviewed by the nice woman.and wel Gods favour came and the interview went as follows:

Consular(The Nice Woman):GoodMorning
Me:Goodmorning(with a smile)

Consular:Have you been to you USA before
Me:No

Consular:Anywhere outside Nigeria?
Me:Yes,Been to UK

Consular:Business or Visiting?
Me:Business

Consular:What kind of Business
Me:Went for a Leadership Summit

Consular:You going for Studies right?
Me:Yes

Consular:What School?
Me:i told her the name of the school,NAU

Consular:What Major are you going for?
Me:Marketing Management

Consular:Can you tell me why you choosed this school?
Me:Is one of the best schools in USA,and is internationally accredited according to Association to Advanced Collegiate Schools of Business.

Consular:Can you tell me more about the school?
Me:It is located in Arizona,(FLG),good environment,has 93 bachelors degree,46 Masters degree and 4Doctoral Degree,

Consular:Nods,typing into the system
Me:Watching and staring at her,checking the digits she was typing,If she was typing anything like denied.(Smiles)

Consular:Congratulations, I will give you your visa and please come back in 2 business working days to collect your Passport and visa.
Me:Thank You

Consular:Next Applicant
I just left and went away,gave other applicants a little smile and went out.

To other applicants going for their appointment,just pray for God's Favour and also be bold when you are at the front of those Consulars,even if you dont have an idea,i will advice,smile a little bit and tell them no idea.and for your info,i saw some applicants which their interview lasted for almost 20mins,so dont be too relaxed about 2-5mins interview ,

All the Best to other applicants going nextweek and other months,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by YoungM1(m): 9:37pm On Jun 11, 2010
@seadog406
Nice interview for you, i hope i get the same nice woman when i go for it next tuesday. I will be here to also share my good news.
@cappadona, i guess you changed your interview spot from lagos to abuja?
seadog406 got his in Lagos and i would also get mine in Lagos,
Need your prayers Y"all
Thanks
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seadog406: 9:52pm On Jun 11, 2010
Young M:

@seadog406
Nice interview for you, i hope i get the same nice woman when i go for it next tuesday. I will be here to also share my good news.
@cappadona, i guess you changed your interview spot from lagos to abuja?
seadog406 got his in Lagos and i would also get mine in Lagos,
Need your prayers Y"all
Thanks

@Young M.Am certain you gonna get it,just let God's Favour Locate you,and put a smile to ease the fear away,
Come over here and share the Good news,

(1) (2) (3) ... (80) (81) (82) (83) (84) (85) (86) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.