Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,929 members, 7,814,132 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:29 AM

Why Catholics Pray Through Mary - Religion (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Catholics Pray Through Mary (30225 Views)

Prophetess Mary Olubori Twerks For Her Husband (Pics + Video) / Can You Rock This Jesus And Mary Bathroom Slippers? (photos) / Why Catholics And Protestants Cant Unite. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by MiddleDimension: 3:29am On Nov 28, 2019
luckyCO:

Am happy that you find it humbly enough to respond my comment.
There is contradictions here, you think am insulting/underrating Mary mother of Christ, never! never!! never!!!
Am a Catholic just as you are until am quickened the real meaning of Salvation and I praise God. Nobody is greater than the other,God saw all has fallen away from his grace and He come in His Son born of a woman to redeem us back to Himself. Today we can say Abba Father!
Those who receive 30%,60% 100% grace worked with their ability according to grace given but to the glory of God the Father.

Mary was overshadowed and She conceived[b](no reward)[/b] also was there at upper room to receive Holy Ghost[b](grace for reward-hope of glory)[/b]. All the qualities you attributed to Mary was given to her by God, what will you gain by asserting so much effort studying/praising/venerating the gift instead of the giver.

We all are waiting for the white throne judgement where all of us who did good will come out and be rewarded for all the things we did while on earth including Mary mother of Jesus.

Remember God's aim on the earth is for all to be under Christ and Christ under God who place everything under Him!

The problem is we reason God just as if He is a man, that is why we say Mary of mother of God etc.

God bless you.

would i be wrong if i say you don't believe in the trinity? this is because i saw you quote up there that which looks like what paul said in ephisians. ''...putting everthing under christ, CHRIST UNDER GOD''.

ofcourse this is a bit off your discussion, but i am wondering if you see jesus as co-equal to god.
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by Jusmudi(m): 10:22pm On Nov 28, 2019
brocab:
I also believe in the trinity-Father Son and the Holy spirit these three are One, Christianity is based upon Love-it's about God changing us-allowing God to mold us 'sharp us-and build us up for His Glory-Mary was chosen and we all respect that-we are also chosen by God, to full fill His purpose.
{Ephesians 4:11-12} And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, to equip the saints for works of ministry, to build up the body of Christ,…
Praying always in spirit and in truth,, Mary and the saints before us have already finished their race, and now it's our turn to finish our race, and those after us will finish their race..

But do u believe in prayers of saints?
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by brocab: 1:23am On Nov 29, 2019
I don't pray for the dead-God is God of the living-the saints before us have finish their race and now they are with the Lord-its the saints that are left 'those who stand with us today, need our prayers daily..
Jusmudi:

But do u believe in prayers of saints?
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by Perfectbeing(m): 2:03pm On Nov 29, 2019
Mary along with all of mankind needed to believe in Jesus to be saved. Her status as the birth mother of Jesus Christ cannot save her from sin. Only faith in Christ alone can.
So it makes no sense to ask Mary to intercede on your behalf when both of you have only one way to God (Christ).

Imagine asking the mother of a gate man to help you tell her son to open a gate for you when you can ask the gate man directly..

Nowhere in the 4 gospels did Jesus ask his followers to pray to his mother for intersession... Neither in the epistles is anything like that found.

Praying to Mary, for whatever reason is unbiblical as there is no single verse in the bible to back it up

1 Like

Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by brocab: 6:03am On Nov 30, 2019
In different Asian countries, a country full of Catholic's have one day of the year-feeding their dead in cemetery's, they pray over there dead loved ones, praying the dead will carry the living through to the next life..
They leave gifts of gold and silver, food and drink expecting the dead to raise and be merry after the living have gone home.
Catholic's pray to the dead saints expecting them to ask God for eternal life.
They pray to Mary to save them-and in scripture nothing of the above is scriptural.
{Mark 12:27} He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living. "The Catholic's are therefore greatly mistaken.
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by Jusmudi(m): 10:18pm On Nov 30, 2019
brocab:
I don't pray for the dead-God is God of the living-the saints before us have finish their race and now they are with the Lord-its the saints that are left 'those who stand with us today, need our prayers daily..

Revelation 8:3-4 ESV /
And another angel came and stood at the altar with a golden censer, and he was given much incense to offer with the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar before the throne, and the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, rose before God from the hand of the angel

Revelation 5:8 ESV /
And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

Now therefore take seven bulls and seven rams and go to my servant Job and offer up a burnt offering for yourselves. And my servant Job shall pray for you, for I will accept his prayer not to deal with you according to your folly. For you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has.
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by Jusmudi(m): 10:22pm On Nov 30, 2019
Perfectbeing:
Mary along with all of mankind needed to believe in Jesus to be saved. Her status as the birth mother of Jesus Christ cannot save her from sin. Only faith in Christ alone can.
So it makes no sense to ask Mary to intercede on your behalf when both of you have only one way to God (Christ).

Imagine asking the mother of a gate man to help you tell her son to open a gate for you when you can ask the gate man directly..

Nowhere in the 4 gospels did Jesus ask his followers to pray to his mother for intersession... Neither in the epistles is anything like that found.

Praying to Mary, for whatever reason is unbiblical as there is no single verse in the bible to back it up

Mother of a gateman? What is d relationship between the gateman and the owner of the house? Are u calling Jesus a gateman? From ur illustration I don't think dey relate.
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by brocab: 1:16am On Dec 01, 2019
Your point is 'you are praying to and for the saints who have already made it to Heaven-expecting Mary and the saints to save you, expecting them to lay their hands upon you for healing.. It isn't our job to pray for those who have gone before us to be with the Lord, we are not expected to pray for Paul nor to Peter nor the other apostles or disciples, Jesus will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.
"Our job is to pray for those that need eternal salvation., laying our hands upon them for healing.
{James 5:16} Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.
I don't need to confess my sins to Mary nor the saint's who have gone before me, the bible is telling me to pray for those in need, do you obviously believe Mary and the saints who have gone before us, need healing? ..
{1 Timothy 2:1-2} First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.
I pray for kings and governments, to heal the land that we live a peaceful and quite life.
Jusmudi:

Revelation 8:3-4 ESV /
And another angel came and stood at the altar with a golden censer, and he was given much incense to offer with the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar before the throne, and the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, rose before God from the hand of the angel

Revelation 5:8 ESV /
And when he had taken the scroll, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each holding a harp, and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

Now therefore take seven bulls and seven rams and go to my servant Job and offer up a burnt offering for yourselves. And my servant Job shall pray for you, for I will accept his prayer not to deal with you according to your folly. For you have not spoken of me what is right, as my servant Job has.

Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by Jusmudi(m): 8:09am On Dec 01, 2019
brocab:
Your point is 'you are praying to and for the saints who have already made it to Heaven-expecting Mary and the saints to save you, expecting them to lay their hands upon you for healing.. It isn't our job to pray for those who have gone before us to be with the Lord, we are not expected to pray for Paul nor to Peter nor the other apostles or disciples, Jesus will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death' or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.
"Our job is to pray for those that need eternal salvation., laying our hands upon them for healing.
{James 5:16} Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.
I don't need to confess my sins to Mary nor the saint's who have gone before me, the bible is telling me to pray for those in need, do you obviously believe Mary and the saints who have gone before us, need healing? ..
{1 Timothy 2:1-2} First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.
I pray for kings and governments, to heal the land that we live a peaceful and quite life.

Did u read what I said? I ask dem to join me in prayers since dey are already in heaven. Just like a final year student ll b doing tutorial for those in 100 level
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by brocab: 10:08pm On Dec 01, 2019
Why pray to the saints who have already gone before us, go into your secret place and pray this:
Our Father,
who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one
Amen
Jusmudi:

Did u read what I said? I ask dem to join me in prayers since dey are already in heaven. Just like a final year student ll b doing tutorial for those in 100 level
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by GoldenPromise81(m): 10:34pm On Dec 01, 2019
Jesus said 'come to me all you that are heavly burdend and i will give you rest'. He didn't say come to me through my mother mary.Jesus also said about going to the Father through Him, and not through mary in john 14:6.Going to God through mary was never mensioned in the bible.Thanks

1 Like

Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by Jusmudi(m): 8:46am On Dec 02, 2019
brocab:
Why pray to the saints who have already gone before us, go into your secret place and pray this:
Our Father,
who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy kingdom come;
thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one
Amen

Are u saying u pray only d Lords prayer?
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by brocab: 12:27pm On Dec 03, 2019
I also pray the Lord's prayer-you shouldn't be ashamed to do the same-Mary and the saints will not save you, Jesus can, and will, if you would turn yourself over to Him today, ask Him into your life-allowing His Holy Spirit to set you free from all false literature and corruption within the Catholic Church..
{Hebrews 4:15-16} For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who was tempted in every way that we are, yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
Go into your secret place and pray to our Father who art in Heaven, and pray for those that truly need our prayers,, asking the Lord to bring salvation to you, and they, 'healing them, that all man kind will be saved.
Jusmudi:

Are u saying u pray only d Lords prayer?

Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by Jusmudi(m): 8:52pm On Dec 05, 2019
brocab:
I also pray the Lord's prayer-you shouldn't be ashamed to do the same-Mary and the saints will not save you, Jesus can, and will, if you would turn yourself over to Him today, ask Him into your life-allowing His Holy Spirit to set you free from all false literature and corruption within the Catholic Church..
{Hebrews 4:15-16} For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who was tempted in every way that we are, yet was without sin. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
Go into your secret place and pray to our Father who art in Heaven, and pray for those that truly need our prayers,, asking the Lord to bring salvation to you, and they, 'healing them, that all man kind will be saved.

Did I tell u I don't believe in God? U said Marys role ended after d resurrection of Christ but I'm telling u dt no matter how great u are, people must always ask about your parents. Mary is still performing her duty to those who seek for her intercession. Bros what are we arguing? U don't believe n I believe, den y can't u allow me to believe in peace? As far we worship same God(Jesus) den forget how I meet him. U see dis life eh, we can never be same even twins can never be same ooo. Anyway I'm happy there are some people who still believe n devote dia time for God.

Mary new people like u ll argue that was y she said in Luke 1:48
New American Standard Bible
"For He has had regard for the humble state of His bondslave; For behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed.
I'm proud of u bro
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by brocab: 3:46am On Dec 06, 2019
To be honest, anybody who can't seem to get Jesus right in the first place, didn't get Jesus at all-praying to Mary expecting her to save you, is something the Catholic Church made up, it isn't scriptural, 'most people who read their bibles already know we pray directly "To" the Father.
If you have peace believing a lie, then keep your peace, "But know this-believing all truth sets us free
I don't need to ask about my parents, family or friends, the Lord gave us a choice, heaven or Hell-the Lord said: by their fruit we know them..
Jusmudi:

Did I tell u I don't believe in God? U said Marys role ended after d resurrection of Christ but I'm telling u dt no matter how great u are, people must always ask about your parents. Mary is still performing her duty to those who seek for her intercession. Bros what are we arguing? U don't believe n I believe, den y can't u allow me to believe in peace? As far we worship same God(Jesus) den forget how I meet him. U see dis life eh, we can never be same even twins can never be same ooo. Anyway I'm happy there are some people who still believe n devote dia time for God.

Mary new people like u ll argue that was y she said in Luke 1:48
New American Standard Bible
"For He has had regard for the humble state of His bondslave; For behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed.
I'm proud of u bro
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by Jusmudi(m): 12:29pm On Dec 06, 2019
brocab:
To be honest, anybody who can't seem to get Jesus right in the first place, didn't get Jesus at all-praying to Mary expecting her to save you, is something the Catholic Church made up, it isn't scriptural, 'most people who read their bibles already know we pray directly "To" the Father.
If you have peace believing a lie, then keep your peace, "But know this-believing all truth sets us free
I don't need to ask about my parents, family or friends, the Lord gave us a choice, heaven or Hell-the Lord said: by their fruit we know them..
How do u know asking Mary to intercede for me is a lie?
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by brocab: 12:32pm On Dec 06, 2019
Read your bible! And if is not written in the bible 'then asking Mary to intercede for you, is deafeningly a lie..
Jusmudi:

How do u know asking Mary to intercede for me is a lie?
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by alexvic12: 1:42pm On Dec 06, 2019
The Mary Catholics pray to is actually a demon queen called The Queen of Heaven.

Pray and ask God to open your eyes, you'll see.
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by Jusmudi(m): 2:18pm On Dec 06, 2019
brocab:
Read your bible! And if is not written in the bible 'then asking Mary to intercede for you, is deafeningly a lie..
To u not to me
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by brocab: 12:07am On Dec 08, 2019
Question: "What does it mean that God sent Jesus in the “fullness of time”? Why did God send Jesus when He did? Why not earlier? Why not later?"
Answer: “But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law” (Galatians 4:4).
This verse declares that God the Father sent His Son when “the time had fully come.”
There were many things occurring at the time of the first century that, at least by human reasoning, seem to make it ideal for Christ to come then.
1) There was a great anticipation among the Jews of that time that the Messiah would come. The Roman rule over Israel made the Jews hungry for the Messiah’s coming.
2) Rome had unified much of the world under its government, giving a sense of unity to the various lands. Also, because the empire was relatively peaceful, travel was possible, allowing the early Christians to spread the gospel.
Such freedom to travel would have been impossible in other eras.
3) While Rome had conquered militarily, Greece had conquered culturally.
A “common” form of the Greek language (different from classical Greek) was the trade language and was spoken throughout the empire, making it possible to communicate the gospel to many different people groups through one common language.
4) The fact that the many false idols had failed to give them victory over the Roman conquerors caused many to abandon the worship of those idols.
At the same time, in the more “cultured” cities, the Greek philosophy and science of the time left others spiritually empty in the same way that the atheism of communist governments leaves a spiritual void today.
5) The mystery religions of the time emphasized a savior-god and required worshipers to offer bloody sacrifices, thus making the gospel of Christ which involved one ultimate sacrifice believable to them. The Greeks also believed in the immortality of the soul (but not of the body).
6) The Roman army recruited soldiers from among the provinces, introducing these men to Roman culture and to ideas (such as the gospel) that had not reached those outlying provinces yet. The earliest introduction of the gospel to Britain was the result of the efforts of Christian soldiers stationed there.
The above statements are based on men looking at that time and speculating about why that particular point in history was a good time for Christ to come.
But we understand that God’s ways are not our ways (Isaiah 55:cool, and these may or may not have been some reasons for why He chose that particular time to send His Son.
From the context of Galatians 3 and 4, it is evident that God sought to lay a foundation through the Jewish Law that would prepare for the coming of the Messiah.
The Law was meant to help people understand the depth of their sinfulness (in that they were incapable of keeping the Law) so that they might more readily accept the cure for that sin through Jesus the Messiah (Galatians 3:22-23; Romans 3:19-20). The Law was also “put in charge” (Galatians 3:24) to lead people to Jesus as the Messiah.
It did this through its many prophecies concerning the Messiah which Jesus fulfilled.
Add to this the sacrificial system that pointed to the need for a sacrifice for sin as well as its own inadequacy
(with each sacrifice always requiring later additional ones).
Old Testament history also painted pictures of the person and work of Christ through several events and religious feasts (such as the willingness of Abraham to offer up Isaac, or the details of the Passover during the exodus from Egypt, etc.).
Finally, Christ came when He did in fulfillment of specific prophecy.
[Daniel 9:24-27] speaks of the “seventy weeks” or the seventy “sevens.” From the context, these “weeks” or “sevens” refer to groups of seven years, not seven days.
We can examine history and line up the details of the first sixty-nine weeks (the seventieth week will take place at a future point).
The countdown of the seventy weeks begins with “the going forth of the command to restore and build Jerusalem” (verse 25).
This command was given by Artaxerxes Longimanus in 445 B.C. (see Nehemiah 2:5).
After seven “sevens” plus 62 “sevens,” or 69 x 7 years, the prophecy states, “the Anointed One will be cut off and will have nothing.
The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary” and that the “end will come like a flood” (meaning major destruction) (v. 26).
Here we have an unmistakable reference to the Savior’s death on the cross.
A century ago in his book The Coming Prince, Sir Robert Anderson gave detailed calculations of the sixty-nine weeks, using ‘prophetic years,’ allowing for leap years, errors in the calendar, the change from B.C. to A.D., etc., and figured that the sixty-nine weeks ended on the very day of Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem, five days before His death.
Whether one uses this timetable or not, the point is that the timing of Christ’s incarnation ties in with this detailed prophecy recorded by Daniel over five hundred years beforehand.
The timing of Christ’s incarnation was such that the people of that time were prepared for His coming.
The people of every century since then have more than sufficient evidence that Jesus was indeed the promised Messiah through His fulfillment of the Scriptures that pictured and prophesied His coming in great detail.
So I do hope you do understand this, only Jesus can save you, because asking Mary or the saints, anybody in this matter to save you is a waste of your time..
Jusmudi:

To u not to me
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by brocab: 11:37pm On Dec 08, 2019
The Lord said: read the Word of God, study it, and learn by it, he said pray for each other, asking the elders of the Church to lay their hands on you for healing, Mary and those saints who had already passed, they have finish their race, which means Mary and the saints who have already passed can not lay their hands on the sick, but we can, In Jesus's name-and now it's up to us to finish our race, and after us the next generation to finish theirs.
I believe my sister is with the Lord, and I thank the Lord for making that happen, I don't pray to her-or for her, she's with the Lord-Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercession, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings who are in authority that we may lead a quite and peaceful life in all godliness and reverence.
For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our savior.
Who desire all men to be saved, and come to the knowledge of the truth-for there is one God and one mediator between God and man, the Man Jesus Christ, so my prayers go straight to our Father, Jesus said: Heaven and Earth will pass away, but His Word will always stay.
Someday when it is my turn to pass, I pray I will be with my "New sister, since the "Old sister had passed away, I am so grateful, I had the opportunity to tell her about Jesus 'before she died..
I believe she is with the living in spirit singing Psalms a new song to the Lord, a song that can only glorify His Holy Name, a Name written that every knee will bow before Him, and worship Him as He is the King of kings and the Lord of lords.
God Almighty is His Name-Jesus Christ is Lord ''Amen ''Amen ''Amen..
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by brocab: 8:35pm On Dec 10, 2019
Quite honestly, praying for those already in Heaven, doesn't sound like a bad idea, but to be frank about it, we don't know for sure who actually made it to Heaven?
We could believe all the disciples had made it, but is there any evident's to prove such a theory!!
So if we were praying to them-and later found out they weren't in heaven, then obviously we were praying to the dead, not the living.
In scripture-Jesus said: let the dead bury their dead, now we do know God wants us to care for the needs of our families {Mark 7:10-13; 1 Timothy 5:8} but not to neglect our spiritual calling in the process.
So who's to know-which of the disciples actually finish their race.
When we look in scripture-we see John and Paul, Peter, Mathew, Mark Luke, Timothy etc... But are we sure some of these apostles made it home?
{Matthew 19:28} Jesus said to them, "Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
So we don't really know if all the 11 actually followed Jesus, but we do know Judah one of the 12 didn't. I suppose this is a good reason why God said: Focus on the Father-so it is not surprising that it is profoundly rooted in Scripture:
{Hebrews 4:14–16} Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace.
“Pray to the Father in the power of the Spirit, in the name or by the authority and the merit of the Son. That is the Bible’s trinitarian prayer structure "We only can come to God in prayer pleading for grace, because we have a high priest, which is why we pray in Jesus’ name.
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by Jusmudi(m): 10:45pm On Dec 10, 2019
brocab:
Question: "What does it mean that God sent Jesus in the “fullness of time”? Why did God send Jesus when He did? Why not earlier? Why not later?"
Answer: “But when the time had fully come, God sent his Son, born of a woman, born under law” (Galatians 4:4).
This verse declares that God the Father sent His Son when “the time had fully come.”
There were many things occurring at the time of the first century that, at least by human reasoning, seem to make it ideal for Christ to come then.
1) There was a great anticipation among the Jews of that time that the Messiah would come. The Roman rule over Israel made the Jews hungry for the Messiah’s coming.
2) Rome had unified much of the world under its government, giving a sense of unity to the various lands. Also, because the empire was relatively peaceful, travel was possible, allowing the early Christians to spread the gospel.
Such freedom to travel would have been impossible in other eras.
3) While Rome had conquered militarily, Greece had conquered culturally.
A “common” form of the Greek language (different from classical Greek) was the trade language and was spoken throughout the empire, making it possible to communicate the gospel to many different people groups through one common language.
4) The fact that the many false idols had failed to give them victory over the Roman conquerors caused many to abandon the worship of those idols.
At the same time, in the more “cultured” cities, the Greek philosophy and science of the time left others spiritually empty in the same way that the atheism of communist governments leaves a spiritual void today.
5) The mystery religions of the time emphasized a savior-god and required worshipers to offer bloody sacrifices, thus making the gospel of Christ which involved one ultimate sacrifice believable to them. The Greeks also believed in the immortality of the soul (but not of the body).
6) The Roman army recruited soldiers from among the provinces, introducing these men to Roman culture and to ideas (such as the gospel) that had not reached those outlying provinces yet. The earliest introduction of the gospel to Britain was the result of the efforts of Christian soldiers stationed there.
The above statements are based on men looking at that time and speculating about why that particular point in history was a good time for Christ to come.
But we understand that God’s ways are not our ways (Isaiah 55:cool, and these may or may not have been some reasons for why He chose that particular time to send His Son.
From the context of Galatians 3 and 4, it is evident that God sought to lay a foundation through the Jewish Law that would prepare for the coming of the Messiah.
The Law was meant to help people understand the depth of their sinfulness (in that they were incapable of keeping the Law) so that they might more readily accept the cure for that sin through Jesus the Messiah (Galatians 3:22-23; Romans 3:19-20). The Law was also “put in charge” (Galatians 3:24) to lead people to Jesus as the Messiah.
It did this through its many prophecies concerning the Messiah which Jesus fulfilled.
Add to this the sacrificial system that pointed to the need for a sacrifice for sin as well as its own inadequacy
(with each sacrifice always requiring later additional ones).
Old Testament history also painted pictures of the person and work of Christ through several events and religious feasts (such as the willingness of Abraham to offer up Isaac, or the details of the Passover during the exodus from Egypt, etc.).
Finally, Christ came when He did in fulfillment of specific prophecy.
[Daniel 9:24-27] speaks of the “seventy weeks” or the seventy “sevens.” From the context, these “weeks” or “sevens” refer to groups of seven years, not seven days.
We can examine history and line up the details of the first sixty-nine weeks (the seventieth week will take place at a future point).
The countdown of the seventy weeks begins with “the going forth of the command to restore and build Jerusalem” (verse 25).
This command was given by Artaxerxes Longimanus in 445 B.C. (see Nehemiah 2:5).
After seven “sevens” plus 62 “sevens,” or 69 x 7 years, the prophecy states, “the Anointed One will be cut off and will have nothing.
The people of the ruler who will come will destroy the city and the sanctuary” and that the “end will come like a flood” (meaning major destruction) (v. 26).
Here we have an unmistakable reference to the Savior’s death on the cross.
A century ago in his book The Coming Prince, Sir Robert Anderson gave detailed calculations of the sixty-nine weeks, using ‘prophetic years,’ allowing for leap years, errors in the calendar, the change from B.C. to A.D., etc., and figured that the sixty-nine weeks ended on the very day of Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem, five days before His death.
Whether one uses this timetable or not, the point is that the timing of Christ’s incarnation ties in with this detailed prophecy recorded by Daniel over five hundred years beforehand.
The timing of Christ’s incarnation was such that the people of that time were prepared for His coming.
The people of every century since then have more than sufficient evidence that Jesus was indeed the promised Messiah through His fulfillment of the Scriptures that pictured and prophesied His coming in great detail.
So I do hope you do understand this, only Jesus can save you, because asking Mary or the saints, anybody in this matter to save you is a waste of your time..
Make I read all of them?
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by brocab: 7:45pm On Dec 11, 2019
No one is forcing you to do anything..
Jusmudi:

Make I read all of them?
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by brocab: 9:36pm On Dec 12, 2019
The truth is there if anybody wants it, God doesn't force anybody to believe, it's completely up to us to make the right choice.
Our future destiny starts with us today, we may even find what destiny we have chosen as we pass away, but the bottom line is-we can't afford "not to make the right choice.
And then the question begins, facts are" certain Church tradition stopping us from studying the truth, that helps us to make the right choices to be with Jesus..
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by Jusmudi(m): 2:30pm On Dec 13, 2019
brocab:
No one is forcing you to do anything..
Ok bro. But is too long
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by DownChelsea(f): 3:00pm On Dec 13, 2019
Who told the op that Catholics pray through Mary?
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by ochibuogwu5: 5:51pm On Dec 13, 2019
Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
the Lord is with you,
Blessed are you among women
and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus Christ.
Holy Mary Mother of God,
pray for us sinners
now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by DownChelsea(f): 6:08pm On Dec 13, 2019
ochibuogwu5:
Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
the Lord is with you,
Blessed are you among women
and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus Christ.
Holy Mary Mother of God,
pray for us sinners
now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
that is not the prayer! It is just part of the rosary recitation which is part of the entire prayer which starts with, “in the name of the father son and holy spirit”

Catholics do not pray through Mary, seeking for intercession is a whole different idea.
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by ochibuogwu5: 6:12pm On Dec 13, 2019
Revelation 19:9 And he saith unto me, Write, Blessed are they which are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb. And he saith unto me, These are the true sayings of God.
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by DownChelsea(f): 6:15pm On Dec 13, 2019
Good thing... I have made my point
Re: Why Catholics Pray Through Mary by brocab: 10:30pm On Dec 13, 2019
The bibles can take years to read, but some how we manage to read through that,, But when it comes to reading little bits from the bible, no-one seems to be interested..
Jusmudi:

Ok bro. But is too long

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (Reply)

As A Christian, How Far Should You Go With Your Girlfriend Physically? / Peter Obi: Social Media Cannot Control Voice Of Prophecy - Fr Mbaka / MKO Tibetan: Funke Felix-Adejumo Is Playing With Sudden Death Over Dollar Seeds

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 177
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.