Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,296 members, 7,815,519 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? (29691 Views)

How High Can You Work? Check These High Altitude Jobs(Photos) / How An Office Cleaner Outshined 6 'graduates' Today / As A Graduate, Can You Work In Restaurant That Pays 80k And Above? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by chiwuike20: 7:35pm On Jul 25, 2015
It is both ways. Some people are fortunate to start from being a cleaner in a big company to becoming a top executive in the company. This is because they have very high chances of being recruited when employment opportunities are available since they have close relationship with important figures in the company. Having said that, many have tried that method without success, as they do not find favour with top figures in the company.

On the other hand, many have started small in their respective disciplines and we're able to grow out of little income to becoming top business executives. This however, is not absolute as some have started small and have either remained small or became smaller from their resolve.

So, whether one starts small in a big firm doing what he loves doing or earns better income in a big firm doing the dirty work does not guarantee one's success
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Nobody: 7:36pm On Jul 25, 2015
Osahon7:
bros its obvious you are one of the few Nigerian Graduate that really know the worth of their BSc..@Topic,cleaning isn't a dignified job for a graduate

Bro the real worth of a B.sc in whatever career you choose is being always on the move, driving towards the goal, even if you have to pass through a path ladden with faeces and shit.

The OP has presented an offer of 80k, a very focused career minded graduate, incapacitated with no job, may not mind but go for it for like a year. Like someone stated above, he could save upto 720k in that year, then throw a chunk of like 300-500k of it into one of those solid high class professional courses in line with his career that even promises to fix you a job after you graduate.

To him it is all about his dreams and being presented with an opportunity to clean for a year to raise capital he would grab it. That is who a true graduate is. You need to read about the likes of Isaac newton and Einstein and how they picked up their dreams being jarnitors or ordinary library boys.

But after all said and done, such decisions are not really palatable. Because no matter how you look at it a graduate cleaning especially in a Nigerian society is shameful. It would a graduate who does not care anymore or one who is too focused on his dreams and has clear plan to tow that path.
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jul 25, 2015
oyb:

the problem is that most of you are little more than dreamers with no actual grasp on reality
what's the reality?

oyb:
a large number of people in paid employment will not leave paid employment;
the large number are those who don't have entrepreneur skills
oyb:
by your lame argument, a cleaner will save a large portion of hi salary and start a danfo business in four years;
only a reasonable cleaner can do that, one who got into the job with goals to achieve. Why do you think he accepted such a shitty job in the first place? To remain there for life? He only saw it as a means to an end.
oyb:
you may as well say that anyone earning a salary of over 100k will save 90% of it and then start a danfo business.
saving 40% can still get you to your destination. Planning matters.

oyb:
most of you cannot even think big; which is why you see owning four danfos [ a business model that lasg will soon kill once metro comes online] as a business achievement

isn't it better than just earning only 30k in an airconditioned office? So you mean lagos metro line will kill all other transport biz in the state? Na wah o!

Well, I just used the transport biz as an example. There are still better biz than it.
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jul 25, 2015
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by dammytosh: 7:38pm On Jul 25, 2015
FriedPlantain:
As a graduate, I'd rather work in an audit firm or a small company earning 30K per month than work as a cleaner in a multinational and earn 100K as long as I enjoy what I am doing and have a higher chance of growing career-wise in it.

Friedplantain

Smart One.
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by clemz85(m): 7:41pm On Jul 25, 2015
just gimme 2 months in the job and see me modify it
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jul 25, 2015
Generals03:

Bro the real worth of a B.sc in whatever career you choose is being always on the move, driving towards the goal, even if you have to pass through a path ladden with faeces and shit.

The OP has presented an offer of 80k, a very focused career minded graduate, incapacitated with no job, may not mind but go for it for like a year. Like someone stated above, he could save upto 720k in that year, then throw a chunk of like 300-500k of it into one of those solid high class professional courses in line with his career that even promises to fix you a job after you graduate.

To him it is all about his dreams and being presented with an opportunity to clean for a year to raise capital he would grab it. That is who a true graduate is. You need to read about the likes of Isaac newton and Einstein and how they picked up their dreams being jarnitors or ordinary library boys.

But after all said and done, such decisions are not really palatable. Because no matter how you look at it a graduate cleaning especially in a Nigerian society is shameful. It would a graduate who does not care anymore or one who is too focused on his dreams and has clear plan to tow that path.

cc my angel, pelmet
shocked shocked shocked lipsrsealed undecided
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Skoopy(m): 7:45pm On Jul 25, 2015
80k na money! I'm shocked.
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by redcliff: 7:45pm On Jul 25, 2015
FriedPlantain:
As a graduate, I'd rather work in an audit firm or a small company earning 30K per month than work as a cleaner in a multinational and earn 100K as long as I enjoy what I am doing and have a higher chance of growing career-wise in it.

Friedplantain

You are sooo foolish
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by jasper83: 7:46pm On Jul 25, 2015
Osahon7:
bros its obvious you are one of the few Nigerian Graduate that really know the worth of their BSc..@Topic,cleaning isn't a dignified job for a graduate

We are talking about prosperity and u are talking of dignity!!! Dignity my foot! Diamonds are found rough, show me a man who's too conservative about life and dignifies himself too much and I show u and average man. Stupendously rich people lack shame, that's why they can pay any prize to get what they want. Like the saying there is dignity in labour.

Robert Kiyosaki says " if u want to be rich never engage in excuses". I'm a graduate i can't do this is a devilish excuse to remain in poverty for ever.

Since God has opened my eyes to shun shame and excuses, my life has never remain the same again, I'm a living testimony. I have learnt to pay prices in life so far its Godly and within the law because nothing comes without a price. I want to pay prices now so that my kids can have a better future. To create wealth you really need to be rugged, but you will surely be ahead of your peers. #think...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Nobody: 7:46pm On Jul 25, 2015
juicee1:
what's the reality?

the large number are those who don't have entrepreneur skills only a reasonable cleaner can do that, one who got into the job with goals to achieve. Why do you think he accepted such a shitty job in the first place? To remain there for life? He only saw it as a means to an end. saving 40% can still get you to your destination. Planning matters.

what most of you dont realize is that most of teh cleaners /security guards/ drivers below a particular age are saving not to start some silly danfo biz, but to further their education. there are several retired big ogas in my company who actually started as messengers/office boys, though they are a dying breed, as those things are outsourced today. the cleaner see the ogas making the big deals that wil net far more than any petty trading and knows thats where the money really is

isn't it better than just earning only 30k in an airconditioned office? So you mean lagos metro line will kill all other transport biz in the state? Na

it come back to what i said before - you are thinking of immediate returns. a cleaner job is a complete dead end; and like all other salary earners, cleaners also have responsibilities, people to feed , money for transport, etc.

you also fail to realise how hard it is for people in low paying jobs to save money; perhaps because you think 80k is actually money in the first place. a low income automatically forces you into expensive choices like nigerian used cars that eat up all your meager income in the mechanic, poor health insurance, ietc

1 Like

Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Tanimola26: 7:48pm On Jul 25, 2015
I will gladly accept it and use the opportunity to proof that I am more than a cleaner and become a regular staff.
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by bigiyaro(m): 7:52pm On Jul 25, 2015
@op it dosen't have to be in a multi nat. Sef. @op i can b cleanin ur room n still be ur PA for dat amnt.
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by lonelydora: 7:55pm On Jul 25, 2015
FriedPlantain:
You laugh that I'd rather earn 30k as a graduate in a small company than 100k in an oil company working as a cleaner?

This is where young graduates get it wrong, everything isn't just about money, money, money. Do you agree with me that a young graduate with over 5 solid years experience in a small audit firm earning 30k has a better chance of earning 300k soon enough with his wealth of experience compared to his graduate counterpart that works as a cleaner in an oil company and has vast years of experience mopping floors and mixing detergents? He also has a higher career prospect as well.

Friedplantain

In 2007, while i was still searching for job, through an uncle I was offered an employment in ECOWAS SECRETARIAT in abuja as a TEABOY with 50k salary per month. I looked at my certificate as engineer and rejected the work. My family almost disowned me for that. In 2008 I got a better job than a TEABOY and see me today. Back to the topic, I WON'T ACCEPT THAT AS A GRADUATE.
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by ceejay80s(m): 7:58pm On Jul 25, 2015
My secondary school classmate was once a Vulcanizer to cleaner to security guard in an oil company now he is an oil distributor, he has 2 cars and his own house in ikorodu, make una sidon there dey find experience, make time. Dey pass
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Neplusultra(f): 7:59pm On Jul 25, 2015
Indeed! No one is talking about the Health implications, the body aches and co! undecided
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jul 25, 2015
Pelmet:
Just reply my pm first.
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Nobody: 8:01pm On Jul 25, 2015
Pelmet:
Just reply my pm first.
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by teewhydope(m): 8:01pm On Jul 25, 2015
juicee1:
You have a great point which can only move the less enlightened.

Let's put it this way: he earns 80k mopping floors while you earn 30k seated in an airconditioned office typing on a desktop computer.

Assuming the amount the both of you spend on transportation and feeding for every month is 20k each, he will have 60k left for savings while yours will be 10k.

60k x 12months= N720,000

10k x 12months= N120,000

What can you investments 120k in? I don't know for now. Probably something that produces little, not even up to the 30k you earn from being an auditor. I stand to be corrected.

As for his 720K, if he's not a spendthrift, he can invest in transport biz. Placing a danfo bus on the road in lagos can fetch him 80K per month asides the 60K he earns from mopping floors.

80K + 60K= N140,000

140K x 12months= N1,680,000

While he's saving N1,680,000 after 2yrs, you will only have N240K after 2yrs of your comfortable audit job.

In the 3rd year, if he's extra smart, he can add another bus to increase his margin of profit. He can continue the trend in the 4th and 5th year.

By the 5th year, he would have become an employer of labour with 4 danfo buses, each fetching an income of 80K per month asides his cleaner job of 80K per month. Don't forget about the amount he would have saved during those periods.

As for you, your sure believe of nabbing a job worth 300K might get dashed when reality hits you in the face. Even if you finally land the job, you are still going to remain a "yes sir" kind of person cos you've programmed yourself to work for others instead of employing people. Your mentality of comfort at work is one of the reasons why many youths are unemployed or not doing well in employment.

Sometimes, we are suppose to get muddy and dirty before we look shinny. Remember that diamonds are found in the rough.

Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Jul 25, 2015
pwetyquin:
In dis life is nt all ur position u see ur self bt d challenge 4 a greater 2moro. Will gladly do times without no grin
A WOMAN OF GREAT SENSE, YOU DESERVE MY UNINTERRUPTED RESPECT
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jul 25, 2015
Neplusultra:
Indeed! No one is talking about the Health implications, the body aches and co! undecided
undecided GIRL!! EVERYTHING HAS A RISK IN LIFE, JUST YOUR PHONE ALONE IS A RISK..

SORRY TO SAY BUT YOU ARE NOT MAKING ANY SENSE AT ALL

1 Like

Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Cutehector(m): 8:06pm On Jul 25, 2015
Yea.. Why not... I will clean it better dan d best...
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Oluschenco(m): 8:06pm On Jul 25, 2015
na @all @all bad pass.
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jul 25, 2015
lonelydora:

In 2007, while i was still searching for job, through an uncle I was offered an employment in ECOWAS SECRETARIAT in abuja as a TEABOY with 50k salary per month. I looked at my certificate as engineer and rejected the work. My family almost disowned me for that. In 2008 I got a better job than a TEABOY and see me today. Back to the topic, I WON'T ACCEPT THAT AS A GRADUATE .

I SWEAR YOU ARE A BLOODY LIAR....

A REAL ONE FOR THAT MATTER.

INFACT!! A BASTARD LIAR
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jul 25, 2015
Generals03:

Just reply my pm first.
why?
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jul 25, 2015
Cutehector:
Yea.. Why not... I will clean it better dan d best...
MANY PEOPLE ARE SAYING HELL NO!

WHY WILL I DO IT?

BLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLA.
I KNOW THAT THERE ARE ALL KIDS
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jul 25, 2015
juicee1:

Let's put it this way: he earns 80k mopping floors while you earn 30k seated in an airconditioned office typing on a desktop computer.

Assuming the amount the both of you spend on transportation and feeding for every month is 20k each, he will have 60k left for savings while yours will be 10k.

60k x 12months= N720,000

10k x 12months= N120,000

What can you investments 120k in? I don't know for now. Probably something that produces little, not even up to the 30k you earn from being an auditor. I stand to be corrected.

As for his 720K, if he's not a spendthrift, he can invest in transport biz. Placing a danfo bus on the road in lagos can fetch him 80K per month asides the 60K he earns from mopping floors.

80K + 60K= N140,000

While he's saving N1,680,000 after 2yrs, you will only have N240K after 2yrs of your comfortable audit job.

In the 3rd year, if he's extra smart, he can add another bus to increase his margin of profit. He can continue the trend in the 4th and 5th year.

By the 5th year, he would have become an employer of labour with 4 danfo buses, each fetching an income of 80K per month asides his cleaner job of 80K per month. Don't forget about the amount he would have saved during those periods.

As for you, your sure believe of nabbing a job worth 300K might get dashed when reality hits you in the face. Even if you finally land the job, you are still going to remain a "yes sir" kind of person cos you've programmed yourself to work for others instead of employing people. Your mentality of comfort at work is one of the reasons why many youths are unemployed or not doing well in employment.

Sometimes, we are suppose to get muddy and dirty before we look shinny. Remember that diamonds are found in the rough.

Beautiful
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jul 25, 2015
Tanimola26:
I will gladly accept it and use the opportunity to proof that I am more than a cleaner and become a regular staff.

I JUST KNOW IT WHEN I SEE A MAN OF WISDOM..

YOU ARE INDEED A MAN OF WISDOM
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jul 25, 2015
juicee1:

60k x 12months= N720,000

10k x 12months= N120,000

80K + 60K= N140,000

MY NIGGA!! IS THEY ANYTHING GREATER THAN MY UNINTERRUPTED RESPECT?? IF THERE IS, PLS DO LET ME KNOW
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jul 25, 2015
Neplusultra:

"We are talking money and you talking nonsense"

-----rick ross
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by lonelydora: 8:15pm On Jul 25, 2015
sonofananimal1:

I SWEAR YOU ARE A BLOODY LIAR....

A REAL ONE FOR THAT MATTER.

INFACT!! A BASTARD LIAR

At my age I don't respond to dullards like you.
Re: Can You Work As A Cleaner If The Pay Is Good? by Cutehector(m): 8:16pm On Jul 25, 2015
sonofananimal1:
MANY PEOPLE ARE SAYING HELL NO!

WHY WILL I DO IT?

BLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLABLA.
I KNOW THAT THERE ARE ALL KIDS
don't mind them... They aint humble.. Money is all they care for...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Would You Do THIS To Get A JOB In Nigeria? / Npower Portal Open For Batch C Registration 2020/2021 | Apply / Aso Villa Demo: 30 Nigerians Shortlisted (List)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.