Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,940 members, 7,835,134 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? (1880 Views)

Unravelled Girlfriend Past / Advert In Port-Harcourt: Do You Need A Wife Or A Husband? / Advice Needed! Her Fiance Doesnt Touch Her! How Can She Know His Sexual Status? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by zizman: 12:03am On Jul 29, 2015
How do men feel when they know the woman they are marrying has a dirty past? Is it ok for a lady to tell her man graphic details of her past? Should a man try to know? Twice I have had had women tell me their pasts (out of love I guess) and it wasn't easy living with it. Is it just me or do men generally feel same?
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Nobody: 12:05am On Jul 29, 2015
undecided
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Nobody: 12:38am On Jul 29, 2015
for me I'd say if your past has so much graphic details then it should stay in the past,no need bringing up ugly events...most times people want to know these things,but they really cannot handle what they end up finding out.

so if it isn't extremely necessary,forget your past and live in the present!

2 Likes

Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by donkarly(m): 12:43am On Jul 29, 2015
wife- yes,girlfriend- no..
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by jamex93(m): 12:45am On Jul 29, 2015
if u wish to know, u r free

1 Like

Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Captainswag225(m): 12:47am On Jul 29, 2015
YES so he can decide whether to accept her or not.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Nobody: 12:51am On Jul 29, 2015
I'm not interested in her past. I'm only interested in her present and future aspirations

1 Like

Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Captainswag225(m): 12:53am On Jul 29, 2015
Jacksparrow0712:
I'm not interested in her past. I'm only interested in her present and future aspirations
not knowing her past can come back to affect ur marriage.

2 Likes

Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Nobody: 12:55am On Jul 29, 2015
Since I live in present, I'm really not bothered bout her past tbh. If her past comes hunting, then she'll have to pay for it
Captainswag225:
not knowing her past can come back to affect ur marriage.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Captainswag225(m): 12:56am On Jul 29, 2015
Jacksparrow0712:
Since I live in present, I'm really not bothered bout her past tbh. If her past comes hunting, then she'll have to pay for it
lol, okay ur majesty.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Nobody: 1:21am On Jul 29, 2015
I think if you can't handle the truth of her past you shouldn't bother to ask.

Live in the present.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Gurgle(f): 1:44am On Jul 29, 2015
It depends whether that past could affect their future

It would be unfair on him if you withhold info from him that you know will definitely affect him later on

Its difficult but if youre getting married you have to speak up

BUT you have to use your discretion. Some guys may use the info against you later on. So be careful with details and just know the kind of fellow he is

Don't need to go and blurt everything out with no filter; you are still a human being and you don't need to debase yourself for any reason, not even marriage

And you don't need to say anything unless the relationship is serious. Otherwise how many people will you end up telling?

Also you should seek spiritual counsel before all of that to make sure you handle it logically, without getting carried away and the guy shouldn't use it to manipulate you. Maybe seek spiritual counsel afterwards if the info is disturbing him

I would mention something about guys being honest about their pasts too but I know nobody cares so let me go and watch tv

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by skyfullofstars(f): 2:29am On Jul 29, 2015
Mmm well, all I can say is that if I'm dating a man, I want to know everything about him, including his past. As a matter of fact I'm angry at my hubby because he has lied to me by telling me a wrong number of women he's dated in the past. I think it is important to know who the person has been in the past, as much as who he/she is in the present. Just my opinion
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Gurgle(f): 3:06am On Jul 29, 2015
zizman:

Twice I have had had women tell me their pasts (out of
love I guess) and it wasn't
easy living with it. Is it just me or do men generally feel
same?

Were you grateful for their honesty or did you wish they hadn't told you?
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Nobody: 4:28am On Jul 29, 2015
knowing her past is important.at least not too graphic details .girls with too graphic past hardly find man stay by their side long
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by whizqueen(f): 8:01am On Jul 29, 2015
If he is gonna love me then he should love me just the way I am regardless of what my past entails. embarassedAnd if not he should shut the door on his way out undecided

On a lighter note, it depends on what happened in the past, how bad was it?
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by sebali: 8:08am On Jul 29, 2015
Gurgle:
It depends whether that past could affect their future

It would be unfair on him if you withhold info from him that you know will definitely affect him later on

Its difficult but if youre getting married you have to speak up

BUT you have to use your discretion. Some guys may use the info against you later on. So be careful with details and just know the kind of fellow he is

Don't need to go and blurt everything out with no filter; you are still a human being and you don't need to debase yourself for any reason, not even marriage

And you don't need to say anything unless the relationship is serious. Otherwise how many people will you end up telling?

Also you should seek spiritual counsel before all of that to make sure you handle it logically, without getting carried away and the guy shouldn't use it to manipulate you. Maybe seek spiritual counsel afterwards if the info is disturbing him

I would mention something about guys being honest about their pasts too but I know nobody cares so let me go and watch tv

Mam u re so on point. If d past wud affect d future I shud be in d kn e. g U lost ur womb via an abortion, u murdered someone and u re on d run or ur ex is a friend i kn and am still friends with etc otherwise i dnt care hw many men u've slept with or hw many successful abortion u ve done... Wat matters most is d present and not d past.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by babyfaceafrica: 8:08am On Jul 29, 2015
I will like to know as much as I can..so I will be prepared for anything in the future,it is better she tells me naw..so we can settle it than when I hear it from third party,cos then even my late mum will not be able to settle the fight!!...I cherish honesty!!!!
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by hrhobi1(m): 8:17am On Jul 29, 2015
That's why I settled down with a virgin. No reason to think of her past because there's actually nothing to know about her past. I became her past and present and future.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Nobody: 8:31am On Jul 29, 2015
I think it's impossible not to share some things from your past with someone you're in a relationship with. However, there are things that I think one should take to the grave if they have nothing to do with the relationship or won't interfere with the relationship long term. How do you get off telling someone about your abortions & things of that nature? That's oversharing. It's none of their damn business what you did before them, UNLESS, it's something that might pop up in the future & jeopardise the relationship if you kept mum.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Johnnoah1st: 9:24am On Jul 29, 2015
zizman:
How do men feel when they know the woman they are
marrying has a dirty past?
Is it ok for a lady to tell her man graphic details of her
past? Should a man try to know?
Twice I have had had women tell me their pasts (out of
love I guess) and it wasn't
easy living with it. Is it just me or do men generally feel
same?
if i luv her deeply i can easily waid it off any bad past, even if she was fu*k in my presence, but someone i dont like so much, or someone i married to only because of some reason. MEHN! dats a great escuse 4 me to log her out
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by xkris11(m): 9:35am On Jul 29, 2015
The past should remain the past.No man can deal with a ladies past,it will only hurt the man s feeling.if he truly loves her,he won't bother about her past.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by scribble: 9:45am On Jul 29, 2015

Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by tosyne2much(m): 10:04am On Jul 29, 2015
It's RISKY to tell your man about your past, it's even RISKIER withholding your past from him

To each his own opinion cool
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Gurgle(f): 10:36am On Jul 29, 2015
sebali:

Mam u re so on point. If d past wud affect d future I shud be in d kn e. g U lost ur womb via an abortion, u murdered someone and u re on d run or ur ex is a friend i kn and am still friends with etc otherwise i dnt care hw many men u've slept with or hw many successful abortion u ve done... Wat matters most is d present and not d past.

Yeah I think most of the time its not the actual incident that annoys people its just that they didn't tell the guy in time. Although it will be very difficult
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by no1madman(m): 10:52am On Jul 29, 2015
yes!EVERY FACKIN DETAILS. . .
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Mznaett: 12:06pm On Jul 29, 2015
D man wan die young ni?? undecidedD
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by ksbusari(m): 12:22pm On Jul 29, 2015
Good and bad. Good in d sense dat quick decisions to stay or leave r made and bad in d sense if d Man or d woman eventually finds out.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by jackpot(f): 1:33pm On Jul 29, 2015
Me, I don't normally ask. But I have got no dirty past myself and I don't expect my partner to have.
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by sebali: 3:37pm On Jul 29, 2015
Gurgle:

Yeah I think most of the time its not the actual incident that annoys people its just that they didn't tell the guy in time. Although it will be very difficult

Lik my boss wud say.... "Some things are better left unsaid"
Re: Should A Man Know His Wife Or Girlfriend's Past? by Gurgle(f): 3:57pm On Jul 29, 2015
sebali:

Lik my boss wud say.... "Some things are better left unsaid"

But the problem is what if somebody else says it for you

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Is It What Ladies Want Or Guys Are Getting It Wrong? / Husband Returns From Work, Catches Their Pastor Sleeping With His Wife / My Relationship Is Officially Over

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.