Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,601 members, 7,809,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:39 AM

Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters (41917 Views)

Isiaka Adeleke Died Of Drug Overdose – Sahara Reporters / It’s Too Early To Panic, Jimoh Ibrahim Replies Fayose / Ikpeazu To Appeal High Court Judgement: Tells Abians Not To Panic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by ObamaSonnn: 7:06am On Jul 30, 2015
Is It Time for Ndi Igbo to Panic? By Chinedu George Nnawetanma
Sahara Reporters

I will keep this write-up as short as possible and straight to the point. Ever since the Muhammadu Buhari-led federal government assumed office on the 29th of May, 2015, the Igbos have been massively and thoroughly shortchanged.

Out of the more-than-a-dozen appointments that have been made by President Buhari over the past two months, there is no single Igbo man, woman, or child among them. The only Igbo that managed to rise to the leadership of a government parastatal under the present dispensation, NIMASA to be precise, was quickly booted out in controversial circumstances just days after he took over on the so-called principle of seniority.

A few weeks ago, the service chiefs that were appointed by ex-president Goodluck Ebele Jonathan were sacked and replaced by four new service chiefs along with two security advisers. Surprisingly, out of the six, none was Igbo.

In the legislature, the situation is not different. On Tuesday the 28th of July 2015, the House of Representatives' All Progressives Congress' caucus appointed its 4 principal officers. The Majority Leader came from the Southwest (which had already produced the Deputy Speaker), the Deputy Majority Leader came from the North-central, the Chief Whip came from the Northwest, while the Deputy Chief Whip came from the South-south. None of the 4 principal officers of the lower chamber, in addition to the Speaker and the Deputy Speaker, is from the Southeast.

The Senate has since appointed its APC principal officers. As expected, no one from the Southeast was deemed worthy of holding any position over there. The Senate Leader is from the Northeast, the Deputy Senate Leader is from the Northwest, the Deputy Chief Whip is from the South-south, while the vacant post of the Chief Whip is reserved for the Southwest.

The events in the Senate did not come as a surprise, because no APC member from the Southeast made it to the 8th Senate. However, what happened in the lower chamber on the 28th of July paints the true picture of the situation the Igbos have now found themselves in Nigeria.

The implication of these arrangements in the country's lawmaking organs is that there's no APC principal officer from the Southeast. This goes to show that the Igbos have, by and large, been reduced to nonentities and mere passengers in the present Nigerian political setup.

Is this the agenda the All Progressives Congress has for the Igbos? Is it a sign of what is to be expected in the next 4 years? Yes, it's true that the Igbos did not support the APC in the past election, but what are they doing to support and justify the actions of the few who, against all odds, risked their lives, reputations, and those of their families by throwing their weight behind the Party?

The beauty of democracy is that everybody is FREE and AT LIBERTY to choose whomever he wants to be governed by. He is not to be victimized, punished, or marginalized for doing so. If the reverse were the case, then the American region popularly referred to as the "Bible Belt" would have been marginalized and severely dealt with by President Barack Obama for rejecting him, not once, but twice, in a presidential election. His predecessor, the Republican Party's George W. Bush, would have also done the same to the US Northeast, which repeatedly votes in favor of the Democratic Party.

These are true democrats who have had democratic principles ingrained in them from infancy. Nigerian politicians must also learn to be democrats, not vindictive and self-serving tyrants.

The sine qua non reason why the Igbos voted so overwhelmingly against the APC in the past general election was that the Party had, prior to the election, made no effort whatsoever to identify with them. The Igbos were treated as irrelevant while the People's Democratic Party warmed up to them. With the way things are going, the APC is all but making those suspicions well founded.

Democracy is all about making people feel included. Thomas Jefferson, one of the men who penned what became known as the American Constitution, once said that "government exists for the interests of the governed, not for the governors." So does leadership.

Be that as it may, the Igbos have clearly lost out in this current set-up. Now is the time to start re-strategizing for 2019. 2019 is not as far away as some of us may think. I still remember 2011 like it was yesterday; that was four years ago. 2019 is four years from now and it will come faster than expected. It is only wise that the Igbos meet it prepared.

All Igbos must come together to build a formidable political bloc devoid of the usual infighting and divided loyalties; a new sociopolitical platform that will not be driven by lust for power or wealth, but by a burning desire to represent the interest and meet the needs and aspirations of the Igbo nation. It should be led by a coalition of seasoned politicians and statesmen, leaders of thought, and intellectuals, as well as brilliant, vibrant, and focused youths.

If anything, the events of the past few months have proven that the time has finally come for Ndi Igbo to put their heads together, evaluate their current state in the Nigerian entity, and work towards a future with or without it.

I also wish to seize this opportunity to appeal to dear President Buhari to carry everyone along in his administration. Need I remind him that he's the president of the entirety of Nigeria, and not just a section of it?

I usually don't conclude my write-ups with quotes because I believe it's a bad way of writing. But I'll have to break protocol for this one by leaving you with a quote from Chinua Achebe in his magnum opus, Things Fall Apart: "The bird says that since hunters have learned to shoot without missing, he has learned to fly without perching."

SOURCE

78 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by INTROVERT(f): 7:07am On Jul 30, 2015
Well spoken. I don't think much will change after all the President has said on live tv that he won't treat the various regions in the country fairly based on "electoral votes" which if truth be told is very undemocratic, myopic and callous. Just like the examples given in the write up of "true" democracies in the world. GMB and APC are further eroding the trust and belief that we can coexist as one country in peace.

I must however add that despite all said GMB is a man of intergrity and even though the SE might not get many political offices as many have pointed out that in GEN administration many appiontees where of southern extraction. This north south east west divide will eventually break Nigeria and lead us to ruin because a house divided among itself cannot stand.

100 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by kossyablaze(m): 7:08am On Jul 30, 2015
Hmmm...Beasts of no nation by FELA comes to mind.Itz very clear dat Nigeria is pocketed by the North.Is there really anything like Federal Character Principle in Nigeria?Code of Conduct Bureau?Igbos are clearly oppressed in the political cum economical affairs of the nation.I posit and opine that its better this country divides n let everyone know peace.

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by Uncleodi(m): 7:09am On Jul 30, 2015
Panic for Wetin nah? Na today??

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by ORACLE1975(m): 7:09am On Jul 30, 2015
fear.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by OtunbaJega: 7:09am On Jul 30, 2015
Igbos don dey panic since 1960 naw

The ethnic group with the most number of wailing wailers

151 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by helpee(m): 7:11am On Jul 30, 2015
I am yoruba but so far I am very disappointed that this Govt is actively promoting ethnic marginalisation of Ndigbo. Igbo didn't vote for APC fine. A democratic Govt should by now make them see reason why they made a mistake by embracing them in his Govt. They said they want Biafra. You said no yet you are marginalising them in their own country. Obama made one of his opponent vice president and the other opponent became secretary of state. So far buhari has only be vindictive. Like it or not, he will divide nigeria faster than radio Biafra if he continues to play his arewa ethnic card.

387 Likes 49 Shares

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 7:12am On Jul 30, 2015
On one hand, you guys claim you don't need to be in govt.

On the other hand, you claim that you're not being appointed into govt.

Biafra is another issue. The author didn't say anything about this.

Which one we go believe?

By the way, how can u conclude with a dozen appointments made by buhari?

The south east locked itself out of the legislature by not voting for any apc member. Who u go blame for that? Better rejoice over that of Ekweremadu which your article even failed to acknowledge.

132 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by jay2pee(m): 7:12am On Jul 30, 2015
igbos re d pillars of Nigeria, but Nigerians don't know that

93 Likes

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 30, 2015
Well, it was expected...thats why we didn't vote for him at the first place.

A petty president if you ask me. The north never liked GEJ but he favoured them more. That's democratic.

Trust me, after his 4 years is over, the igbo nation would have advanced further while the nigerian nation (zoo) would be left with more criminals and a pitiable state

112 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by luvinhubby(m): 7:17am On Jul 30, 2015
As an Igboman myself, i do not see any reason for Igbos to panic as i have never expected any unusual favours from Buhari for the Igbos. Most of the developmental projects in my hometown is either through self help or state govt.

179 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 7:19am On Jul 30, 2015
OtunbaJega:
Igbos don dey panic since 1960 naw

The ethnic group with the most number of wailing wailers
yea, and you're the ethnic group with the highest number of assassinated leaders, betrayed and used dummies

189 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by Omenkata: 7:20am On Jul 30, 2015
igbos are not cowards we face our enemy in the eyes and dare unlike one sophisticated tribe that you can kill in their own land and they will be praising you sai baba and the same time moaning like a local calabar rabid dog called eku-uke to their superiors the igbos.

we are better off than the self acclaimed sophisticated hunger infested tribe that depends on donated benevolent free rice for survival.

Buhari is a damn terrorist - Elrufai

139 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by Asuokaa: 7:21am On Jul 30, 2015
Well true thou...

I bliv most of d ministers should b IBO, nigeria is fall all not for some cause if we keep doing this they will feel marginalized which I bliv its wrong...

Ibo r very much part of nigeria cause dey deserve a place in this govt

http://evilla.com.ng

6 Likes

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by wordcat(m): 7:23am On Jul 30, 2015
I want to know how many yorubas that were principal officers in d national assembly during GEJ's term?

85 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by prof17(m): 7:24am On Jul 30, 2015
[/color][color=#990000]Ka chukwu mezienu okwu!

3 Likes

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by nnachukz(m): 7:25am On Jul 30, 2015
the only people to blame are Zik and Gowon.

10 Likes

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by 2kris(m): 7:25am On Jul 30, 2015
And only the violent take it by force......northerners have been following these method since the time of uthman dan fodio

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by Pangea: 7:26am On Jul 30, 2015
A classical wailing write up!

Igbos and double speak,
Igbos who like to reap where they did not sow,
Igbos who wants Biafra and at the same time juicy positions in government.
Igbos who are busy berating and fighting everybody and at the same time wants everybody to stand by them.
Igbos this and igbos that.
You lot better make up your mind and stop dancing and jumping about like an headless chicken in the market place.
If you want to play opposition, play opposition!
If you want to join the government , then join the government.
You can't do the two at the same time!

In the last government when Jonathan was busy short changing the yorubas, we took it in the chin and play the opposition.
We built coalition to change the government.
Can't the igbos do the same instead of wanting everything to be handed to them on a platter.

162 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by hakeem4(m): 7:27am On Jul 30, 2015
Eyin omo wailing wallers

33 Likes

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by madridguy(m): 7:27am On Jul 30, 2015
Very insightful article but I still believe the igbos caused it all themselves. At times they say its not a good ideal putting all your eggs in a basket. You should expect things like this. Even if the federal government throw a big project to the region you will still not be okay cos no one from the region in the government. If the igbos play the card very well you should have allow Chris Ngige unopposed by now nobody will drag the senate president seat with him but the leaders of the region played blind man politics. Well, you people should bear the consequences as 2019 is around the corner.

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 7:28am On Jul 30, 2015
Typing
Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by seunmsg(m): 7:29am On Jul 30, 2015
I really don't understand the thinking of some of you guys from the south east. Today, you will come here and tell us you don't need the government's patronage/appointments and tomorrow, you will start wailing that the president who has not even started making major political appointments is marginalising your people.

The writers argument about the none inclusion of south east members in the APC principal officers of the senate and house of reps is sheer hypocrisy. The south east have just two members who are not ranking in the house of reps and none at all in the senate. On the other hand, PDP have over 15 members from the south west in the house of reps and not even one of them was considered for any of the minority principal positions. So, should the south west also start crying that PDP is marginalising them?

You guys should quit playing the victim card always. A time will come when nobody will take you serious again.

71 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 7:31am On Jul 30, 2015
Activa:
On one hand, you guys claim you don't need to be in govt.

On the other hand, you claim that you're not being appointed into govt.

Which one we go believe?

By the way, how can u conclude with a dozen appointments made by buhari?

The south east locked itself out of the legislature by not voting for any apc member. Who u go blame for that? Better rejoice over that of Ekweremadu which your article even failed to acknowledge.

I'm coming back to unlock your brain, wait lemme get the key because I think it is deep inside Atlantic Ocean

31 Likes

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by Candyrain(m): 7:33am On Jul 30, 2015
helpee:
I am yoruba but so far I am very disappointed that this Govt is actively promoting ethnic marginalisation of Ndigbo. Igbo didn't vote for APC fine. A democratic Govt should by now make them see reason why they made a mistake by embracing them in his Govt. They said they want Biafra. You said no yet you are marginalising them in their own country. Obama made one of his opponent vice president and the other opponent became secretary of state. So far buhari has only be vindictive. Like it or not, he will divide nigeria faster than radio Biafra if he continues to play his arewa ethnic card.

Well said. Hope it's not too early for a bottle of orijin because you deserve one grin

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by Nobody: 7:35am On Jul 30, 2015
OK
Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by fulanimafia: 7:35am On Jul 30, 2015
These are the smart Igbos.

While the wise ones are reconciling and retracing their steps to see where they fell while planning the future, the ignorant ones are still defiant, chest beating and insulting the President.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by cheruv: 7:37am On Jul 30, 2015
helpee:
Brother don't bother yourself that much
The youths of Igbo land know Nigeria has no future for them..that's why majority are crying for secession while the ones who can leave the country are leaving.
Everybody shouted that Jonathan was corrupt.. But that same GEJ was rated higher by TI than buhari or OBJ.
Buhari has confirmed the reservations we had about him so its good we don't expect anything from him

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by hakeem4(m): 7:38am On Jul 30, 2015
helpee:
is a lie!!!!!!! Igbos are just playing victim.. When GEJ picked only few Yoruba's in his cabinet, did we decide to destroy Nigeria?

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by azzima(m): 7:40am On Jul 30, 2015
liberty300:
Well, it was expected...thats why we didn't vote for him at the first place.

A petty president if you ask me. The north never liked GEJ but he favoured them more. That's democratic.

Trust me, after his 4 years is over, the igbo nation would have advanced further while the nigerian nation (zoo) would be left with more criminals and a pitiable state
if the north never liked Gej, they wouldn't have voted overwhelmingly for him in 2011 ,same with Yorubas. The fact of the matter is...GEJ let everyone down by sleeping while he was in charge

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is It Time For Ndi Igbo To Panic? - Sahara Reporters by azzima(m): 7:45am On Jul 30, 2015
cheruv:

Brother don't bother yourself that much
The youths of Igbo land know Nigeria has no future for them..that's why majority are crying for secession while the ones who can leave the country are leaving.
Everybody shouted that Jonathan was corrupt.. But that same GEJ was rated higher by TI than buhari or OBJ.
Buhari has confirmed the reservations we had about him so its good we don't expect anything from him
i never heard of igbos crying for secession during GEJ's time but once they lost by going all out even more than GEJ's Ijaws, they started talking about Biafra. Confused sets!

33 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Buhari Expresses Outrage Over The Murder Of Ahmed Gulak / Musa Gowon Debuts New Look + Meet His Mother! / Uche Mefor Resigns As IPOB Deputy Leader, Floats New Radio Station

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.