Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,269 members, 7,836,213 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 11:20 PM

The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land (3631 Views)

Waiting For Your Fiancée To Get Pregnant Before Going To Pay Her Bride Price / 5 Stunning Bible Facts About Bride Price / Why She Does Not Deserve That Bride Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by shantti(m): 7:17pm On Apr 24, 2022
Penssuwa:
I'm from a place in Enugu where bride price has become very symbolic and not a medium for fund raising or the such. My elder sister was married off two years ago. My father only took N100 from the bride price and returned the rest, telling the groom's family that all he needs is for her to be taken care of.
Honestly, I don't really see the relevance of bride price now. Why take huge bride price when your daughter remains your daughter. Besides, the groom's family in most cases benefits more from the new family, because ladies never forget their family. The new family is more or less an offshoot of her paternal. I advocate for its abolishment because bride price turns the lady into a merchandise which when the services for which she is "bought" is not well rendered makes the union weak. Sometimes you hear the husband saying, "imagine this lady i used my hard earned money to marry (buy) is acting this way...

Am from Enugu too. I took only #10 for my elder sister's bride price and returned the rest. I needed all the money but my uncle gave me the advice

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Tall Dark Skinned Married Yoruba Guy! / See What she Did After She Broke Up With Her Boyfriend(picture) / When My Gf Decides To Take The Loss Of Her Ex Too Far.....advise Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.