Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,833 members, 7,813,780 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:10 PM

The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land (3598 Views)

Waiting For Your Fiancée To Get Pregnant Before Going To Pay Her Bride Price / 5 Stunning Bible Facts About Bride Price / Why She Does Not Deserve That Bride Price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by naijasaint: 11:03pm On Aug 02, 2015
As narrated by my grandfather:

Before the the arrival of missionaries, the Igbo land has strong moral laws which carries with it severe penalties..
A lady found to have engaged in premarital sex and gotten pregnant stand the risk of being ostracized or outright banishment until the gods are appeased..

The bride priced was then paid as a sign of appreciation to the father for having imparted strong morals on his daughter..
After the wedding the man is to return the blood stained handkerchief to prove that indeed the lady is a virgin...
He may also double the price as a sign of gratitude...but if no white handkerchief is returned the father is to returned all the entitlements he collected including the bride price..

With the coming of Christianity we have successfully abolished the hard part of our traditional. and adopted the easy one.....
I therefore conclude that the purpose of bride price does not apply to this our libidinous and over sexed generation where a lady might have lost count of her sexual encounters and aborted few times going by latest research....

Finally the purpose of bride price is not for monetary gain In those days but an appreciation for good moral parenting........

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Heromaniaa: 11:06pm On Aug 02, 2015
custom and tradition must be respected. we Igbos make no apology for demanding bride price.
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Femiartalade(m): 11:11pm On Aug 02, 2015
Believe it or not everything in this world seems to be sexually portrayed like wtf really! can't anything be done morally without exposing boobs asses and shit

Shit is becoming disturbing
From the Internet to the TV,
flyers
The media is all messed up
Seems we ve lost it
Gospel singers exposing cleavages wtf
Are u wining souls for Christ or u just some cheap_lonely_looking_for_attention_whore

Y'all should get ur act together and stop being a sex object cus that's what we see you as when u keep exposing and exposing

How can one be in the church and all I can see is sex images from left to right

Cus of what u people are wearing
It seems you all have turned everywhere to places where u can just portray sex sex sex and sex

Please you people should be decent at least with the way u dress

And I just made one common sense like Ben Murray Bruce

#NoToIndecncyCusKonjiNaBastard

2 Likes

Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by misspicy(f): 11:16pm On Aug 02, 2015
Not only igbo,dat is how every tribe practiced bride price,but if dis is done in dis our generation,most ladies wunt get married,
So Op are u suggesting we abolish d bride price tyn coz of d pollution in our generation or pride price should be paid on virgins only
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by sinaj(f): 11:17pm On Aug 02, 2015
Femiartalade:
Believe it or not everything in this world seems to be sexually portrayed like wtf really! can't anything be done morally without exposing boobs asses and shit

flyers
Seems we ve lost it
Are u wining souls for Christ or u just some cheap_lonely_looking_for_attention_whore

Y'all should get ur act together and stop being a sex object cus that's what we see you as when u keep exposing and exposing

It seems you all have turned everywhere to places where u can just portray sex sex sex and sex

did u read d ops post

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Toks2008(m): 11:23pm On Aug 02, 2015
Heromaniaa:
custom and tradition must be respected. we Igbos make no apology for demanding bride price.

Oh boy did you read that write up at all? Gosh!
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Toks2008(m): 11:25pm On Aug 02, 2015
misspicy:
Not only igbo,dat is how every tribe practiced bride price,but if dis is done in dis our generation,most ladies wunt get married,
So Op are u suggesting we abolish d bride price tyn coz of d pollution in our generation or pride price should be paid on virgins only

Nice question and i am happy that fer the first time im seeing a story from the aged that corroborates with the exact biblical injunction that bride price are only for virgins.
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Toks2008(m): 11:30pm On Aug 02, 2015
naijasaint:
As narrated by my grandfather:

Before the the arrival of missionaries, the Igbo land has strong moral laws which carries with it severe penalties..
A lady found to have engaged in premarital sex and gotten pregnant stand the risk of being ostracized or outright banishment until the gods are appeased..

The bride priced was then paid as a sign of appreciation to the father for having imparted strong morals on his daughter..
After the wedding the man is to return the blood stained handkerchief to prove that indeed the lady is a virgin...
He may also double the price as a sign of gratitude...but if no white handkerchief is returned the father is to returned all the entitlements he collected including the bride price..

With the coming of Christianity we have successfully abolished the hard part of our traditional. and adopted the easy one.....
I therefore conclude that the purpose of bride price does not apply to this our libidinous and over sexed generation where a lady might have lost count of her sexual encounters and aborted few times going by latest research....

Finally the purpose of bride price is not for monetary gain In those days but an appreciation for good moral parenting........

FANTASTIC.

My article is now vindicated.
https://www.nairaland.com/2495212/7-facts-bride-price-shock
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Femiartalade(m): 11:33pm On Aug 02, 2015
sinaj:

did u read d ops post
Ask me again dumboro
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Nobody: 11:40pm On Aug 02, 2015
Femiartalade:

flyers
Seems we ve lost it

May God bless you in fold for this plain Truth.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Nobody: 11:49pm On Aug 02, 2015
misspicy:
yes. undecided
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Heromaniaa: 11:54pm On Aug 02, 2015
Toks2008:

Oh boy did you read that write up at all? Gosh!
y do u ask??
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by henribj(m): 12:41am On Aug 03, 2015
just passing by...
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Gurgle(f): 12:45am On Aug 03, 2015
Yeah this is an interesting post. Wonder what happened to all those girls who were born without hymens or broke them innocently. hm
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by nelandrewz(m): 2:08am On Aug 03, 2015
From pple's comments here on this post, its not hard to knw d virgins among them. Most have been disvirgined long ago.
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by naijasaint: 2:43am On Aug 03, 2015
misspicy:

Am not saying we should abolish the bride price but don't u think its selfish for the society to take only the easy and sweet part of there tradition and refer to it as their Inheritance from forefathers?

Let a bride price for virgins be higher than that of non virgins
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by naijasaint: 2:45am On Aug 03, 2015
nelandrewz:
From pple's comments here on this post, its not hard to knw d virgins among them. Most have been disvirgined long ago.

Not only that most of them had sex every weekened including this Sunday
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by naijasaint: 2:47am On Aug 03, 2015
Gurgle:
Seeking for ATTN?
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Gurgle(f): 2:55am On Aug 03, 2015
naijasaint:

Seeking for ATTN?

No, just booking space until I read your post since it sounded interesting

..Whats your problem? undecided
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Richy4(m): 4:04am On Aug 03, 2015
I understand what you mean Op but some of our people are too greedy.

Imagine a man demanding for a guy to buy him brand new motorcycle among other things just because a man came to seek for her daughter's hand in marriage.

According to him, his daughter fetches water for him at home. Since their was no one to do it, the motorcycle is necessary. Mind you, they got borehole at home.

On top of that the guy will buy him brand new native clothes and walking stick he will be wearing on the traditional wedding day.

Her mother came with her own list on what needed to be done for her and her fellow women in her kindred.

They forgot that the girl in question is gonna eat when she became the "golden" wife.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by tpiander: 4:25am On Aug 03, 2015
but your Igbo brother said he doesn't support marriage involving family.
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Adaeze003(f): 5:45am On Aug 03, 2015
I guess rabbits slept with the girls...
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Adaeze003(f): 5:50am On Aug 03, 2015
Toks2008:

Nice question and i am happy that fer the first time im seeing a story from the aged that corroborates with the exact biblical injunction that bride price are only for virgins.

Lol... you again cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Nobody: 7:04am On Aug 03, 2015
If all girls should go to whoever did it to pay their bride price, some guys go pay for 30 girls, but that's how it should be.

1 Like

Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by naijasaint: 9:52am On Aug 03, 2015
Gurgle:

No, just booking space until I read your post since it sounded interesting
..Whats your problem? undecided
make ya observation
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by misspicy(f): 9:53am On Aug 03, 2015
naijasaint:

Am not saying we should abolish the bride price but don't u think its selfish for the society to take only the easy and sweet part of there tradition and refer to it as their Inheritance from forefathers?

Let a bride price for virgins be higher than that of non virgins
Then know it today dat most virgins will never get married,why? The economy of nigeria is making it difficult for guys to pay bride price now talk abt increasing it...in the end those so called virgins will get disvirgined in order to get married.

See even the bible said it,the law was made for man and not man for the law,meaning some laws might be changed according to the changing time...
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by misspicy(f): 9:56am On Aug 03, 2015
Teempakguy:
yes. undecided
Shey u know say as u say yes so,u fit no see wife marry or worst still get scammed with fake virgin bloodtongue
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Nobody: 10:22am On Aug 03, 2015
Richy4:
I understand what you mean Op but some of our people are too greedy.

Imagine a man demanding for a guy to buy him brand new motorcycle among other things just because a man came to seek for her daughter's hand in marriage.

According to him, his daughter fetches water for him at home. Since their was no one to do it, the motorcycle is necessary. Mind you, they got borehole at home.

On top of that the guy will buy him brand new native clothes and walking stick he will be wearing on the traditional wedding day.

Her mother came with her own list on what needed to be done for her and her fellow women in her kindred.

They forgot that the girl in question is gonna eat when she became the "golden" wife.
GBAM!!!!
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by Penssuwa(m): 10:23am On Aug 03, 2015
I'm from a place in Enugu where bride price has become very symbolic and not a medium for fund raising or the such. My elder sister was married off two years ago. My father only took N100 from the bride price and returned the rest, telling the groom's family that all he needs is for her to be taken care of.
Honestly, I don't really see the relevance of bride price now. Why take huge bride price when your daughter remains your daughter. Besides, the groom's family in most cases benefits more from the new family, because ladies never forget their family. The new family is more or less an offshoot of her paternal. I advocate for its abolishment because bride price turns the lady into a merchandise which when the services for which she is "bought" is not well rendered makes the union weak. Sometimes you hear the husband saying, "imagine this lady i used my hard earned money to marry (buy) is acting this way...
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by naijasaint: 9:18pm On Aug 03, 2015
Penssuwa:
I'm from a place in Enugu where bride price has become very symbolic and not a medium for fund raising or the such. My elder sister was married off two years ago. My father only took N100 from the bride price and returned the rest, telling the groom's family that all he needs is for her to be taken care of.
Honestly, I don't really see the relevance of bride price now. Why take huge bride price when your daughter remains your daughter. Besides, the groom's family in most cases benefits more from the new family, because ladies never forget their family. The new family is more or less an offshoot of her paternal. I advocate for its abolishment because bride price turns the lady into a merchandise which when the services for which she is "bought" is not well rendered makes the union weak. Sometimes you hear the husband saying, "imagine this lady i used my hard earned money to marry (buy) is acting this way...

Ya so on point
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by wowmagonline: 6:42pm On Apr 24, 2022
Make igbo people try dey reduce this bride price na
See what u just did to this girl now
Now her boyfriend have broke up with her.see long list Nah
This is too much abeg
https://www.immigratefly.xyz/2022/04/bride-price-list-in-igbo-land.html?m=1
Re: The Truth About Bride Price In Igbo Land by ibkonekt(m): 6:55pm On Apr 24, 2022
Personal opinion

Virgins should get the full bride price

Non virgins should get reduced or zero bride price (depending on how much of a simp the man is)

There is nothing like hymen got broken by mistake or i was raped or born without hymen. Thats all cap and lies

If this was the way of things watch how women will suddenly start keeping their bodies for marriage. The ultimate goal for women is marriage above all else in this world.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Eight Ways To Make A Man Happy / She Has Been Cheating On Me! / I Am Married But Pregnant For My Boyfriend

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.