Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,659 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:30 PM

Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo (3641 Views)

Ohanaeze Sets Up Committee To Design Economic Blueprint For Ndigbo / KANO PROTEST: A Trap For Ndigbo / Anioma State: A Priority Long Overdue. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by Donarozzi: 1:10pm On Aug 10, 2015
ANIOMA STATE: THE BEST CHOICE FOR NDIGBO

The continued absence of a homogeneous Igbo state on the west bank of the River Niger, had always left the Igbo politically incomplete. This side of the Igbo divide, boasts of great personalities such as Augustine Esogbue the NASA scientist, Mike Onwuejeogwu the renowned anthropologist, Peter Eloka Okocha the business mogul, Sunny Odogwu the insurance magnate, Eddy Okonta the trumpet maestro, Tony Elumelu the dynamic CEO of UBA, Bernard Odogwu the czar of the then Biafran intelligence, Prof. Chukwuma Okonjo, Prof.Pat Utomi, Amb.I .Olisaemeka, Denis Osadebey, and the list goes on.

The political anomalies facing them today, were what their early leaders foresaw and began the campaign for a separate region, or inclusion with the rest of their brothers in the East. Prominent among those leaders of the time were the Late Denis Osadebey and Ogoegbunam Dafe. Their requests were not totally met by the then Nigerian authorities. But, In return Mid-west was offered. An idea that was to be bankrolled from the coffers of Michael Okpara's Eastern regional Government. This financial effort became the corner stone that was to aid an easy agreement between the stake holders in the emerging region, and which saw an Igbo, Dr. Osadebey emerge the premier.

The movement to protect their culture, and the demand for a state, that began with the name Aniocha to Anioma didn't start today. It can be argued unequivocally that the agitation by Anioma Igbos for a state/region of their own was one of the earliest in Nigeria,and by default the earliest within the Igbo nation.

As Ndigbo and Ohaneze Exco move to agree on the location of a state to be created out of Igboland, and as recommended by the rest of Nigeria, history should be born in mind. What must guide us should be the territorial concern of the four cardinal points of the entire Igbo land. There is a need for the Igbo to reclaim her denied political, numerical and geographical space in Nigeria. But, how do we we achieve that? It can't be realized with a parochial approach to our body politic. Ndigbo have to practice informed politics, with vision,sophistication and intellectual flamboyance. The treatment meted to us so far in Nigeria should lively us up to a positive political renaissance.

The argument for Anioma state is far more superior than any other in Igboland. The area and its people, have since the creation of modern Nigeria been repressed,with non-Igbo leadership hoisted on its people. There is an historic precedent to this, dating back to centuries of hostile invasions and forced acculturation by the ancient ruling houses of the then Benin Empire.

One of such legacies was the Ekumeku war of resistance, fought against the British for over thirty years by the Anioma Igbos, and which Benin had to do with the colonial policy at that time. Moreover, there have been attempts throughout history by external political forces to re-invent a different ethnicity for the people, or re-baptize them with names foreign to the Igbo lexicon.

The climax came in 1995,when the present monarch of Asaba,Eze Prof. Chike Edozien, warned that any more move to rezone them outside Igboland would be resisted. Last September,an Anioma organization cried out on the gradual erosion of their culture,and vowed to enthrone the study of Igbo language in secondary and post-secondary institutions.These statements were instructive, and did actually go a long way to silence the pundits that have always assigned Anioma people to a different origin.

Concerning the new state, my take is that Ndigbo should unanimously accept the submissions of the Anioma delegates to the Abakaliki hearing, and concede the new state to them. Apart from the political emancipation of the people,a viable state would be found in Anioma. Our Urhobo brothers and others would happily want to go back to their "Core delta".

In the event of a new state conceded to them, the Anioma people will have their God given right to occupy the Government House Asaba. Having done so, a homogeneous Igbo state, and an extended Igbo political territory would have been established comfortably on the western flank. This would cover 97% of our north western border in the present Delta state, leaving perhaps Igbo akiri (Igbanke) for Edo state for another time.

Politicians from the South-East needed not to be reminded about the geo-political benefits of such a state. Though most indigenes of Anioma are counted as ethnic Igbos,but an Anioma state will make that enumeration more incisive. It is noteworthy that Oshimmili local government Area of Anioma zone lies within Anambra River basin. The area noted for big crude oil reserves. Again, there is a population explosion in Igbo land, east and west,but an Anioma state would help to break the mental barrier,and afford more movement and co-habitation of one people.

The Ohaneze youth Council speaking through their leader Nnamdi Nwokocha, have thrown their weight behind the choice of an Anioma state. He went further to compare the case of Anioma to the lose of Southern Cameroons by the then Eastern regional government.,and warned those responsible to opt for an Anioma state without further delay.

Chief Iwuanyanwu, Joe Irukwu and the South East Governors should peep through history. The Anioma people have always stood by us when it mattered, and this is the time to pay them back by conceding the state to them. Such a state when created, of course, would have some parts of Anambra state annexed to her. And which history would record as an emancipation gift from a big brother.

And for my message to those who dispute the Igbo wholeness of Anioma : the name "Anioma" can only point to one direction. The complete survival of Igbo language,custom and tradition in this area, was made possible by the presence of Igbo aboriginal groups. For a group of non-Igbo speaking migrants or refugees, to have founded an area,and yet loose their language is simply a hoax. Such a thing could only take place if there was,on their arrival, an existing, larger Igbo population.

(written by Ossie Ezeaku, March 2006)

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by dialfa: 1:14pm On Aug 10, 2015
States are the fabrics of the oppresive zoo
We need a separate Igbo country with only Igbos as citizens.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by megamank(m): 1:14pm On Aug 10, 2015
all the people crying for their own states and country if they decide to give una sef watin una go use am take do?

united states is not excellent because they have so many state but it is what it is today because they have Good leadership and also citizens that love the country........how many Nigerians really even love Nigeria? every body want his small street to become a state. if we have 1,000 states without goof leaders or citizen that love the state we will still remain where we are.

3 Likes

Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by ELTON123(m): 1:16pm On Aug 10, 2015
megamank:
all the people crying for their own states and country if they decide to give una sef watin una go use am take do?
united states is not excellent because they have so many state but it is what it is today because they have Good leadership and also citizens that love the country........how many Nigerians really even love Nigeria? every body want his small street to become a state. if we have 1,000 states without goof leaders or citizen that love the state we will still remain where we are.
warri weed is working grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by kingofpool: 1:17pm On Aug 10, 2015
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by hakeem4(m): 1:17pm On Aug 10, 2015
Hmmmmmm
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by ELTON123(m): 1:21pm On Aug 10, 2015
hakeem4:
am waiting for you to talk trash
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by dialfa: 1:21pm On Aug 10, 2015
ELTON123:
shaarap there what do you know about the igbos? Ofe mmanu

lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by ELTON123(m): 1:26pm On Aug 10, 2015
dialfa:

lol
were do you rep?
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by dialfa: 1:29pm On Aug 10, 2015
ELTON123:
were do you rep?

You don't know alfa yet?
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by ELTON123(m): 1:33pm On Aug 10, 2015
dialfa:

You don't know alfa yet?
yep so were u rep?
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by dialfa: 1:38pm On Aug 10, 2015
ELTON123:
yep so were u rep?

I rep Satan.
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by ELTON123(m): 1:41pm On Aug 10, 2015
dialfa:

I rep Satan.
I mean were are you from
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by dialfa: 1:46pm On Aug 10, 2015
ELTON123:
I mean were are you from

I know what you mean.
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by ELTON123(m): 1:51pm On Aug 10, 2015
dialfa:

I know what you mean.
so were
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by Demdem(m): 1:52pm On Aug 10, 2015
No longer Biafra? grin grin
Kanu must hear this. grin
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by ezeagu(m): 2:09pm On Aug 10, 2015
ELTON123:
so were

Hell, nau.
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by explorer250(m): 4:59pm On Aug 11, 2015
Cc:trapQ

Where art thou? Abi na you the claim delta and you won make our delta brother hate us. I know that you will avoid this thread like plague

1 Like

Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by trapQ: 5:00am On Aug 12, 2015
You can't do without coming in my mentions right? Continue
explorer250:

Where art thou? Abi na you the claim delta and you won make our delta brother hate us. I know that you will avoid this thread like plague
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by kettykin: 5:06am On Aug 12, 2015
I thought some fools said Anioma people are not igbos

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by cheruv: 10:10pm On Aug 12, 2015
Donarozzi:
ANIOMA STATE: THE BEST CHOICE FOR NDIGBO

The continued absence of a homogeneous Igbo state on the west bank of the River Niger, had always left the Igbo politically incomplete. This side of the Igbo divide, boasts of great personalities such as Augustine Esogbue the NASA scientist, Mike Onwuejeogwu the renowned anthropologist, Peter Eloka Okocha the business mogul, Sunny Odogwu the insurance magnate, Eddy Okonta the trumpet maestro, Tony Elumelu the dynamic CEO of UBA, Bernard Odogwu the czar of the then Biafran intelligence, Prof. Chukwuma Okonjo, Prof.Pat Utomi, Amb.I .Olisaemeka, Denis Osadebey, and the list goes on.

The political anomalies facing them today, were what their early leaders foresaw and began the campaign for a separate region, or inclusion with the rest of their brothers in the East. Prominent among those leaders of the time were the Late Denis Osadebey and Ogoegbunam Dafe. Their requests were not totally met by the then Nigerian authorities. But, In return Mid-west was offered. An idea that was to be bankrolled from the coffers of Michael Okpara's Eastern regional Government. This financial effort became the corner stone that was to aid an easy agreement between the stake holders in the emerging region, and which saw an Igbo, Dr. Osadebey emerge the premier.

The movement to protect their culture, and the demand for a state, that began with the name Aniocha to Anioma didn't start today. It can be argued unequivocally that the agitation by Anioma Igbos for a state/region of their own was one of the earliest in Nigeria,and by default the earliest within the Igbo nation.

As Ndigbo and Ohaneze Exco move to agree on the location of a state to be created out of Igboland, and as recommended by the rest of Nigeria, history should be born in mind. What must guide us should be the territorial concern of the four cardinal points of the entire Igbo land. There is a need for the Igbo to reclaim her denied political, numerical and geographical space in Nigeria. But, how do we we achieve that? It can't be realized with a parochial approach to our body politic. Ndigbo have to practice informed politics, with vision,sophistication and intellectual flamboyance. The treatment meted to us so far in Nigeria should lively us up to a positive political renaissance.

The argument for Anioma state is far more superior than any other in Igboland. The area and its people, have since the creation of modern Nigeria been repressed,with non-Igbo leadership hoisted on its people. There is an historic precedent to this, dating back to centuries of hostile invasions and forced acculturation by the ancient ruling houses of the then Benin Empire.

One of such legacies was the Ekumeku war of resistance, fought against the British for over thirty years by the Anioma Igbos, and which Benin had to do with the colonial policy at that time. Moreover, there have been attempts throughout history by external political forces to re-invent a different ethnicity for the people, or re-baptize them with names foreign to the Igbo lexicon.

The climax came in 1995,when the present monarch of Asaba,Eze Prof. Chike Edozien, warned that any more move to rezone them outside Igboland would be resisted. Last September,an Anioma organization cried out on the gradual erosion of their culture,and vowed to enthrone the study of Igbo language in secondary and post-secondary institutions.These statements were instructive, and did actually go a long way to silence the pundits that have always assigned Anioma people to a different origin.

Concerning the new state, my take is that Ndigbo should unanimously accept the submissions of the Anioma delegates to the Abakaliki hearing, and concede the new state to them. Apart from the political emancipation of the people,a viable state would be found in Anioma. Our Urhobo brothers and others would happily want to go back to their "Core delta".

In the event of a new state conceded to them, the Anioma people will have their God given right to occupy the Government House Asaba. Having done so, a homogeneous Igbo state, and an extended Igbo political territory would have been established comfortably on the western flank. This would cover 97% of our north western border in the present Delta state, leaving perhaps Igbo akiri (Igbanke) for Edo state for another time.

Politicians from the South-East needed not to be reminded about the geo-political benefits of such a state. Though most indigenes of Anioma are counted as ethnic Igbos,but an Anioma state will make that enumeration more incisive. It is noteworthy that Oshimmili local government Area of Anioma zone lies within Anambra River basin. The area noted for big crude oil reserves. Again, there is a population explosion in Igbo land, east and west,but an Anioma state would help to break the mental barrier,and afford more movement and co-habitation of one people.

The Ohaneze youth Council speaking through their leader Nnamdi Nwokocha, have thrown their weight behind the choice of an Anioma state. He went further to compare the case of Anioma to the lose of Southern Cameroons by the then Eastern regional government.,and warned those responsible to opt for an Anioma state without further delay.

Chief Iwuanyanwu, Joe Irukwu and the South East Governors should peep through history. The Anioma people have always stood by us when it mattered, and this is the time to pay them back by conceding the state to them. Such a state when created, of course, would have some parts of Anambra state annexed to her. And which history would record as an emancipation gift from a big brother.

And for my message to those who dispute the Igbo wholeness of Anioma : the name "Anioma" can only point to one direction. The complete survival of Igbo language,custom and tradition in this area, was made possible by the presence of Igbo aboriginal groups. For a group of non-Igbo speaking migrants or refugees, to have founded an area,and yet loose their language is simply a hoax. Such a thing could only take place if there was,on their arrival, an existing, larger Igbo population.

(written by Ossie Ezeaku, March 2006)
Realizing Anioma state is the first step towards unifying Igbo land and freeing the western Igbos from the shackles of mental slavery.
All Igbos and deltans should ensure that Anioma is born..as for me as an ukwangwa,I'd for the Igbo nation support Anioma state creation over that of Aba state anytime any day.
With ika,enuani & ukwuani senatorial zones, Anioma is already a state waiting to be born

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by MrCounselor: 10:14pm On Aug 12, 2015
Alryt. My stamp, gbam!
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by cheruv: 10:25pm On Aug 12, 2015
explorer250:

She's dumbfounded that we've made a clarion call for Anioma to be state No 6 in the SE. Anioma is a full state in this sense
Name: Anioma
Capital: Asaba
Language(s): Igbo
Senatorial zones: Ika(west), Enuani(east), Ukwuani(south)
Geopolitics: SE region of Nigeria

If we then as Eastern region could pay balewa £8M for liberation of Midwest from western Nigeria bkos of the Igbos and ijaws there,then Anioma state is next!!
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by MrCounselor: 10:30pm On Aug 12, 2015
dialfa:
States are the fabrics of the oppresive zoo
We need a separate Igbo country with only Igbos as citizens.

Reasons why you ain't gonna develop at all, you feared too much and don't like yourselves talkless of outsiders.
Check it out, how do indigeneous Igbo family relate? The disposition is "Me and my family", no one else. That would hv bn a very funny country. Lots of love though.
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by MrCounselor: 10:32pm On Aug 12, 2015
megamank:

I wonder. USA is actually multi-racial as well and tolerates outsiders, never homogenous -Africans, Latinos, Asians, Hispanics, Europeans everytn join. Not much hard feelings.
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by Jman06(m): 10:59pm On Aug 12, 2015
I support the creation of Anioma state any time any day.
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by dialfa: 11:09pm On Aug 12, 2015
MrCounselor:

Reasons why you ain't gonna develop at all, you feared too much and don't like yourselves talkless of outsiders.
Check it out, how do indigeneous Igbo family relate? The disposition is "Me and my family", no one else. That would hv bn a very funny country. Lots of love though.

How my family relations take concern you? Amebo
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by Donarozzi: 11:31pm On Aug 12, 2015
Jman06:
I support the creation of Anioma state any time any day.

1 Like

Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by Omololu007(m): 11:41pm On Aug 12, 2015
kettykin:
I thought some fools said Anioma people are not igbos
so u ibos don't want biafra againgrin
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by mensdept: 1:41am On Aug 13, 2015
Anioma state is well overdue. Too bad Ohaneze leaders scuttled that effort with 30+ state proposals during GEJ tenure.

1 Like

Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by illiad: 2:58pm On Nov 16, 2015
K
Re: Anioma State: The Best Choice For Ndigbo by tck2000(m): 1:04pm On Jun 16, 2019
Noise makers

(1) (2) (Reply)

See Photos Of ISIS - Boko Haram Militants Repelling Military Advance In Borno / The Richest Senator In Nigeria / Nigerian Coat Of Arms Modified. See Pix For Proof.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.