Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,555 members, 7,816,344 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY (102191 Views)

Apply for 2018 MSc and PhD Commonwealth Scholarship In The UK / 2017 NDDC Foreign Msc And PhD Scholarship / Apply For 2017 Msc And Phd Commonwealth Scholarship In The Uk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by Dongreat(m): 4:41pm On Aug 19, 2015
I graduated from a UK university with first class. Please how can I be nominated for this scholarship. Help needed. I contacted UNIPORT, but they said it's only their students that they can nominate

mizskyhigh:

I think they are trying to avoid a situation where you'll be given scholarship without admission.
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by lantessy(m): 5:09pm On Aug 19, 2015
Dongreat:
I graduated from a UK university with first class. Please how can I be nominated for this scholarship. Help needed. I contacted UNIPORT, but they said it's only their students that they can nominate

I think you will need to use Nigerian Federal Scholarship Board as your nominating agency.

2 Likes

Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by lantessy(m): 5:10pm On Aug 19, 2015
FSB website is not functioning. Who knows if they will nominate students this year?
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by tshoboy(m): 5:15pm On Aug 19, 2015
mizskyhigh:

I applied last year,wasn't offered tho,but I was given admission. Deferred my admission to next year so I can give it a try again. I hope to be considered.

@Mercythrone,radiantochi,jamanuka,busdebbie,dongreat,chaymastic....,there are different forms of CommonWealth scholarship(partly funded,fully funded etc),first you have to know which one you want to apply for,then you check the list of schools participating in the scholarship and the eligible courses(note that not all courses are eligible for scholarship).

A nominating agency is just an organization that serves as an intermediary between you and the CommonWealth scholarship board e.g ministry of Education,a Uk organization,the school you are applying to etc...applicants are not allowed to forward their application directly to the scholarship board hence the need for a nominating agency,and as the name implies"nominating" they are the ones who nominate you for the said scholarship.

Just download the guidelines and you'll be fine.

In case of any question(which I doubt if there will be any after downloading and reading the applicant's guide) I'll be here to answer to the best of my knowledge.

CommonWealth scholarship is a very prestigious one and competitive,brace up,have 24hrs internet access and have faith.

I wish us all,goodluck.

According to what i have read, it means we still have to wait for fsb to announce the scholarship. their website is not opening atm or where did you send your application bro.
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by lantessy(m): 6:00pm On Aug 19, 2015
tshoboy:

According to what i have read, it means we still have to wait for fsb to announce the scholarship. their website is not opening atm or where did you send your application bro.
You can start your application on-line, then you will send your application when they call for nominations
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by soulhighman(m): 6:36pm On Aug 19, 2015
mizskyhigh:

I applied last year,wasn't offered tho,but I was given admission. Deferred my admission to next year so I can give it a try again. I hope to be considered.

@Mercythrone,radiantochi,jamanuka,busdebbie,dongreat,chaymastic....,there are different forms of CommonWealth scholarship(partly funded,fully funded etc),first you have to know which one you want to apply for,then you check the list of schools participating in the scholarship and the eligible courses(note that not all courses are eligible for scholarship).

A nominating agency is just an organization that serves as an intermediary between you and the CommonWealth scholarship board e.g ministry of Education,a Uk organization,the school you are applying to etc...applicants are not allowed to forward their application directly to the scholarship board hence the need for a nominating agency,and as the name implies"nominating" they are the ones who nominate you for the said scholarship.

Just download the guidelines and you'll be fine.

In case of any question(which I doubt if there will be any after downloading and reading the applicant's guide) I'll be here to answer to the best of my knowledge.

CommonWealth scholarship is a very prestigious one and competitive,brace up,have 24hrs internet access and have faith.

I wish us all,goodluck.

I love this. I will be asking you from time to time about the stuff. I want to write my ielts exam first, then I can apply for those scholarships. I also want to o apply for chevening scholarship.

1 Like

Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by Sunnystooth(m): 7:00pm On Aug 19, 2015
Hmmm... Can someone who is about to go for NYSC by November 2015 apply for this scholarship as well?
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by lantessy(m): 7:10pm On Aug 19, 2015
Sunnystooth:
Hmmm... Can someone who is about to go for NYSC by November 2015 apply for this scholarship as well?
Yes, I think you should be able to apply, afterall, the scholarship is for 2016 /2017 session
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by Sunnystooth(m): 7:16pm On Aug 19, 2015
lantessy:

Yes, I think you should be able to apply, afterall, the scholarship is for 2016 /2017 session
Ok, Thanks. I'll do just that.
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by tshoboy(m): 8:06pm On Aug 19, 2015
soulhighman:

I love this. I will be asking you from time to time about the stuff. I want to write my ielts exam first, then I can apply for those scholarships. I also want to o apply for chevening scholarship.
is there a thread for chevening here?
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by mizskyhigh: 8:25pm On Aug 19, 2015
tshoboy:

Dongreat:

A lot has changed o,last year when I applied,the UK university I was applying to served as my nominating agency,but now from all indications,they want to involve applicant's home country.
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by soulhighman(m): 8:26pm On Aug 19, 2015
tshoboy:
is there a thread for chevening here?
Nope, there isn't.
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by soulhighman(m): 8:28pm On Aug 19, 2015
mizskyhigh:

A lot has changed o,last year when I applied,the UK university I was applying to served as my nominating agency,but now from all indications,they want to involve applicant's home country.
Wow, that means I can just go over to my school here in Naija to nominate me then. Also, am presently serving in a fed uni. Can they be my nominating agency?
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by mizskyhigh: 8:37pm On Aug 19, 2015
soulhighman:

Wish you luck@IELTS,though UK universities don't request for it but its good you write it so you can apply to schools in other places.

Applying for as many scholarships as one is eligible for is actually a very smart idea. Will also try other scholarships.
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by soulhighman(m): 8:53pm On Aug 19, 2015
mizskyhigh:

Wish you luck@IELTS,though UK universities don't request for it but its good you write it so you can apply to schools in other places.

Applying for as many scholarships as one is eligible for is actually a very smart idea. Will also try other scholarships.
Thanks. From what i understand, UK universities request for it most times. It is either ielts or TOEFL. That's why I want to write it.
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by mizskyhigh: 8:56pm On Aug 19, 2015
soulhighman:

Wow, that means I can just go over to my school here in Naija to nominate me then. Also, am presently serving in a fed uni. Can they be my nominating agency?
Lols, going by what was in that prospectus,the school can't be your nominating agency,you'll have to apply through federal scholarship board.

But I'll say we hold on with this nominating agency ish 1st,personally,I'll so not want FSB to be involved sef,I no trust them.

If you are applying,I'll say you worry about getting all your documents ready,checking out the school and course amongst others,nominating agency is a minor issue,it in fact comes last.
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by elShakes(m): 9:41pm On Aug 19, 2015
From what I discovered from their 'FAQs' we should apply through the EAS application system, then when we submit, the nominating agency ie FSB should see it if they are active.......You can also check your status if the nominating agency has received it or not on your application tray
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by lantessy(m): 10:10pm On Aug 19, 2015
mizskyhigh:

Most UK schools require you to write IETLS or TOEFL
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by Nobody: 11:50pm On Aug 19, 2015
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by Sunnystooth(m): 12:00am On Aug 20, 2015
SSGUniport:
I won't advice you to apply for some obvious reasons.

I applied in 2013 for this scholarship, and towards the end of November 2013 (2weeks to the international deadline), FSB called for interviews.

N/B: I was NYSC 2013 Batch B.

We were invited to do the normal documentation, at FSB Abuja, and this was based on Geopolitical Zones (Different Dates for Different Zones).

One of the COMPULSORY requirements for the documentation was "NYSC DISCHARGE/EXEMPTION CERTIFICATE" and your NYSC Certificate number starting with A0***** MUST be printed on the documentation form.

From what I understand, Commonwealth member-countries are free to set their own requirements in addition to the minimum requirements set by the International commission, and the FSB added NYSC as theirs.

Luckily for me, I did the documentation and my NYSC discharge certificate wasn't even asked for, since it was very late, and most of the FSB staff were very tired.

Fast-forward to the day of Interview [The interview held at Nanet Suites, Abuja, close to Thisday dome (Former COZA)], we were called in Threes, and we handed them all our original documents and questions like "What is the Capital of Zamfara, and Kwara", "Who is the Minister of Information", "What Extracurricular activities are you involved in" etc. were asked, before the Professor with my documents demanded my NYSC Discharge certificate.

Anyway, that was the end of my Commonwealth scholarship hunt, as I was plainly told to come back the next year. I was serving in Abuja so I didn't spend money for TP and Accommodation.

If you get money for TP, Accommodation, Food and Time to waste, then you can try your luck.

Lolz... Thanks a lot though. I think i needed a personal experience like yours.... Anway, are you gonna try it again this time around?
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by Nobody: 12:19am On Aug 20, 2015

1 Like

Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by Dongreat(m): 12:53am On Aug 20, 2015
Getting a place of study for me is already sorted as I have a PHD place at surrey uni. The problem now will b the nominating source. Just can't understand y our federal schools can't nominate us dat study abroad. Weird

1 Like

Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by lantessy(m): 12:57am On Aug 20, 2015
Dongreat:
Getting a place of study for me is already sorted as I have a PHD place at surrey uni. The problem now will b the nominating source. Just can't understand y our federal schools can't nominate us dat study abroad. Weird

cheesy, why should they nominate those that are not their students? Unless, you are planning of pursuing the PhD at the school
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by Dongreat(m): 1:50am On Aug 20, 2015
Well u are right somehow. But since am a citizen of the federal republic grin it should be done. Please I know this request sound awkward but what shud I write at "home country benefit" section. I b very grateful for any help smiley

lantessy:

cheesy, why should they nominate those that are not their students? Unless, you are planning of pursuing the PhD at the school
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by donkripton(m): 10:28am On Aug 20, 2015
am trying to apply but the site isn't loading

i think i will have to do it in the night on friday
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by femotechno(m): 11:30am On Aug 20, 2015
Please I saw something ielft... Must u write the Ielts before submitting ur application?
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by femotechno(m): 11:45am On Aug 20, 2015
Please... If u r apply for the scholarship... Pls add me on 55B743C4.. I need clarification on the English requirement
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by femotechno(m): 11:48am On Aug 20, 2015
Sunnystooth:

Lolz... Thanks a lot though. I think i needed a personal experience like yours.... Anway, are you gonna try it again this time around?
Pls how do u go abt d ielft then
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by femotechno(m): 11:50am On Aug 20, 2015
SSGUniport:
Lol...You're welcome
No I won't be applying. Maybe some other time.
Pls how do u go abt the Ielts then?
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by Sunnystooth(m): 11:52am On Aug 20, 2015
femotechno:

Pls how do u go abt d ielft then
I'm not gonna apply anylonger... I don't have NYSC Discharge Cert. yet... So maybe next time. You can ask others above me that are applying.
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by femotechno(m): 11:55am On Aug 20, 2015
Sunnystooth:

I'm not gonna apply anylonger... I don't have NYSC Discharge Cert. yet... So maybe next time. You can ask others above me that are applying.
I meant when u applied then... We're u called for the interview without writing the English requirement(ielft)
Re: APPLY FOR 2016 COMMONWEALTH SCHOLARSHIP FOR MSC AND PHD AT UK UNIVERSITY by Sunnystooth(m): 11:58am On Aug 20, 2015
femotechno:

I meant when u applied then... We're u called for the interview without writing the English requirement(ielft)
Please ask the guy i quoted. He's the one that has tried it before. I've never applied for it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (22) (Reply)

Nigerian Army DSSC/SSC 2012 / Monthly Salary Of A Federal Road Safety (FRSC) Officer? / Ernst And Young (EY) 2019 Graduate Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.