Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,475 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:11 AM

Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? (60750 Views)

"I Make N45,000 Monthly" - Local Nail Cutter Reveals / Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis / 10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by secretsofpeace(m): 2:50pm On Aug 18, 2015
Cheer up and don't give up! keep pushing as your big break might just be around the corner grin

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by MadCow1: 2:50pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:
I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. So much that I didn't know when tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I am getting frustrated. To think I did everything right in school to ensure I left with with a 2:1 grade. I ask myself ,where did I go wrong? To make matters worse, my family members think all is well since I am a "barrister".

I am slowly beginning to regret my decision to be a lawyer. Though I am still serving as a batch C corps member,I get scared. So scared that I may have to take up work in a firm that pays 15000 naira. God knows I have tried. I have sent out more than 200 applications, yet nothing!

Which job recuitment site have I not signed up with? This was not what I envisaged for my career when I was being called to bar. Even in the midst of the mass failure of my set, I bagged a 2.2 from law school; still nothing to show for it. I know people from my university that graduated with 3rd class now working with top law firms.

Well, I have been told to stop wasting my time by applying for associate jobs on the websites of law firms. The reason being that they rarely employ lawyers anonymously. It is mostly through recommendation or connection. God knows I really want to practice law, but the job is not forthcoming. I have my rent to pay, bills to take care of and cannot survive on 15k a month after 6 years of going to school. I am open to suggestions anyways.

Someone even adviced I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me the cold shoulder. I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

After december, I may have to think of something else to do.

So what Branch of Law are you specialized in or good at?

I grew up with Lawyers and all of them are very successful in their practices including my Mother.

3 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by seedorfg(m): 2:50pm On Aug 18, 2015
All goes hand to hand, don't worry op
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Thespecialone(m): 2:50pm On Aug 18, 2015
swtchicgurl:
Op, check your profile picture again.

Then pray to God.

Well said.

The answer is found there.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by refreshrate: 2:50pm On Aug 18, 2015
chinoasa:
tongue... U made a mistake seein from a wrong perspective.. Nutin is coincidence... Jut change d'mindset.. And everytin changes along wit it..
Vola!! smiley

Who ees dees geh?
You need to see how proud i am reading this.
chop knuckle for pristine (&uncommon) wisdom

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Joeace3000(m): 2:51pm On Aug 18, 2015
What saddens me about your lamentation is that you think starting a business is 'being at your lowest ebb in life'. I graduated from UNIBEN with 2'2 in a relatively unknown course Physiology. The chances at getting a job was already short before i even left school, but i didn't sit down mopping and complaining that God hates me or should i go do something crazy to survive. Bcause of mind unrestricted open mind, I researched and in the course of doing that i discovered fiverr and i can say its been God all the way. From delivering a multitude of services there, i learned to write top notch Articles for top Blog and Website owners all over the world, I could design beautiful Logos, business cards, flyers, Ebook Covers and so many other designs i can't even remember. As if offering those weren't enough i learned how to create Explainer videos and whiteboard videos, web designing using coding and non coding with webflow.com, i leaned how to manage social media handles of top American and UK firms, even Law firms(imagine if i told them i was a Lawyer, like in your case), now with all these knowledge you think companies won't fight over me...Definitely they will and already are.

All these i learned and began offering on Fiverr because i opened my mind and saw possibilities beyond my career and implore you to be open minded too. I have offered them for many years and now i am bringing people in. The number of complaints like this on this forum prompted me to team up with a group of fellow fiverrians to present this.

[b]

Check out the complete Fiverr training packages HERE, get one and start offering unique services professionally on Fiverr while generating income in your room.

Fiverr is the world's foremost website for freelancers selling their skills starting from $5. That is $5 is the basic amount you can start selling a gig but you can have gig extras of upto $100, $200 and you can be making more than $1000, $2000 selling your skill on fiverr every month! For some people this may be too good to be true but it is true and hundreds of thousands are making money off it every day. all it requires is possessing the knowledge of how to build profitable accounts, optimizing them for constant orders and delivering with continuous positive reviews and high ratings.

The complete training packages covers five Hot in-demand services from Article Writing to Graphics Design, Video and Animation, Web Design and Social Media Management. Training videos created by our experts on each service covering opening a service specific professional fiverr account, creating attractive gigs with captivating gig images and gig videos, delivering orders, receiving your payments in Nigeria as well as tools on every service like Adobe Photoshop, to Camtasia for Gig images and Gig videos creation respectively along with tools specific to that service.

Learn how to create profitable accounts for each specific service, create attractive gigs and Develop specialized in-demand skills to deliver your orders as a professional, stop creating accounts that have no potential for profit.Get the skills that you can sell not only on fiverr and other freelance sites but sought by businesses offline, even better, create businesses for yourself and stop complaining about lack of jobs, wicked requirements or jobs already arranged for the connected[/b]

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Aug 18, 2015
@OP

The world at large owe you nothing , but you owe the world everything . Now , if truly you want to practice law and you don't want to work FOR a law firm that will pay you say 15,000 per month , instead you wish to work WITH a law firm where you will be treated as an associate from the ongoing and partake in profit sharing from the earnings of the law firm , then do what is expected and needed of you . It's unfortunate that I will not be giving you a free secret to climb the ladder of success in the law practice because the truth is that I am a proponent of the saying " people are not paid for what they know ; instead people are paid for what they do with what they know " . For more information , you should know what to do .

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 2:52pm On Aug 18, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
Cc gaborone

I actually just went through the original post before seeing your 'invite'. Will make my comment when I'm chanced later in the day.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Tunguy01(m): 2:53pm On Aug 18, 2015
I thought I wanted a career bt now I want notin dat just a paycheck evry month., Now I cnt continue wit dis garri again , hiAaaaaannn !!!!.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 2:54pm On Aug 18, 2015
Nihilist:
To be honest, yes you did

Lol What kind of a human being are you. There is a reward in encouraging people
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by KingAdeOluomo1(m): 2:54pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:
I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. So much that I didn't know when tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I am getting frustrated. To think I did everything right in school to ensure I left with with a 2:1 grade. I ask myself ,where did I go wrong? To make matters worse, my family members think all is well since I am a "barrister".

I am slowly beginning to regret my decision to be a lawyer. Though I am still serving as a batch C corps member,I get scared. So scared that I may have to take up work in a firm that pays 15000 naira. God knows I have tried. I have sent out more than 200 applications, yet nothing!

Which job recuitment site have I not signed up with? This was not what I envisaged for my career when I was being called to bar. Even in the midst of the mass failure of my set, I bagged a 2.2 from law school; still nothing to show for it. I know people from my university that graduated with 3rd class now working with top law firms.

Well, I have been told to stop wasting my time by applying for associate jobs on the websites of law firms. The reason being that they rarely employ lawyers anonymously. It is mostly through recommendation or connection. God knows I really want to practice law, but the job is not forthcoming. I have my rent to pay, bills to take care of and cannot survive on 15k a month after 6 years of going to school. I am open to suggestions anyways.

Someone even adviced I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me the cold shoulder. I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

HAY IFEDAYO oooooooooooooo WERE ARE YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU??
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Pluslargent(m): 2:55pm On Aug 18, 2015
swtchicgurl:

Then pray to God.

lol this cracked me up when i did check her profile....and like a friend once said..."blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall never be dissapointed".
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 18, 2015
You can hate me after reading this but it's a bitter truth!

It's best you start learning that trade while you are still serving! It doesn't mean you will end up using it but it's best you have an option B power!

So that (God forbid' when you start trekking the whole city for Job,) you will have something to fall back to!

Nobody told me this before I started learning how to make hair upon being one of the best student in my class then. Though I work buh I still have my trade as a support.

Be smart about this and shake off your worries. All the best@OP

2 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 18, 2015
Joeace3000:
What saddens me about your lamentation is that you think starting a business is 'being at your lowest ebb in life'. I graduated from UNIBEN with 2'2 in a relatively unknown course Physiology. The chances at getting a job was already short before i even left school, but i didn't sit down mopping and complaining that God hates me or should i go do something crazy to survive. Bcause of mind unrestricted open mind, I researched and in the course of doing that i discovered fiverr and i can say its been God all the way. From delivering a multitude of services there, i learned to write top notch Articles for top Blog and Website owners all over the world, I could design beautiful Logos, business cards, flyers, Ebook Covers and so many other designs i can't even remember. As if offering those weren't enough i learned how to create Explainer videos and whiteboard videos, web designing using coding and non coding with webflow.com, i leaned how to manage social media handles of top American and UK firms, even Law firms(imagine if i told them i was a Lawyer, like in your case), now with all these knowledge you think companies won't fight over me...Definitely they will and already are.

All these i learned and began offering on Fiverr because i opened my mind and saw possibilities beyond my career and implore you to be open minded too. I have offered them for many years and now i am bringing people in. The number of complaints like this on this forum prompted me to team up with a group of fellow fiverrians to present this.

[b]

Check out the complete Fiverr training packages HERE, get one and start offering unique services professionally on Fiverr while generating income in your room.

Fiverr is the world's foremost website for freelancers selling their skills starting from $5. That is $5 is the basic amount you can start selling a gig but you can have gig extras of upto $100, $200 and you can be making more than $1000, $2000 selling your skill on fiverr every month! For some people this may be too good to be true but it is true and hundreds of thousands are making money off it every day. all it requires is possessing the knowledge of how to build profitable accounts, optimizing them for constant orders and delivering with continuous positive reviews and high ratings.

The complete training packages covers five Hot in-demand services from Article Writing to Graphics Design, Video and Animation, Web Design and Social Media Management. Training videos created by our experts on each service covering opening a service specific professional fiverr account, creating attractive gigs with captivating gig images and gig videos, delivering orders, receiving your payments in Nigeria as well as tools on every service like Adobe Photoshop, to Camtasia for Gig images and Gig videos creation respectively along with tools specific to that service.

Learn how to create profitable accounts for each specific service, create attractive gigs and Develop specialized in-demand skills to deliver your orders as a professional, stop creating accounts that have no potential for profit.Get the skills that you can sell not only on fiverr and other freelance sites but sought by businesses offline, even better, create businesses for yourself and stop complaining about lack of jobs, wicked requirements or jobs already arranged for the connected[/b]

Well done. God will continue to prosper the business
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:

nooo u didnt make mistake
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Aug 18, 2015
Gaborone:

I actually just went through the original post before seeing your 'invite'. Will make my comment when I'm chanced later in the day.
we need a professional advice plz.

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by mentorandfriend(m): 2:58pm On Aug 18, 2015
Eluala:
I think your problem is more of poor mental attitude than lack of jobs. Lawyers are known to be imaginative and creative. You have not convinced me that you possess those qualities. It appears to me your focus while in school was just to pass and have the certificate without taking time to add valuable skills that will be useful for the workplace. In a nutshell, you are not employable, the certificate notwithstanding.

Be more creative. Walk into a firm and offer free services. Do some volunteering. In the process, people will begin to take you seriously while you build practical experience. Look for people who need legal services eg writing of agreements, writing of MoUs or even business plans, identify niche areas where you can connect sellers/vendors with potential buyers and make money on commission. Look for people you can represent to manage their brand/services/goods. Do something to solve someones problem and trust me they will pay for the service happily. You need to stop being negative and complaining. You have what it takes in you so rise up and shine.
Dumb comment. Poor mental attitude ke.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Gboliwe: 2:58pm On Aug 18, 2015
Queenfav, be strong. It's always darkest before dawn. You are in that darkest time, soon you will see the light. It may sound like mere words but trust me, it's the truth.

I've been there and I know exactly how you feel. At some point, I was even considering going to sell ponmo, tomato and crayfish in a table in the market since I wouldn't even be able to afford rent. It was that bad. I have some parts of my down time period detailed somewhere in my posts on this forum and I leave it there as encouragement to any who may need to be encouraged. I felt awful then.

Like you, I was offered a job that would pay N17k, I took it. And funny as it may sound, I started climbing gradually but steadily. Today, I look back and laugh at that time/period. But then, it had prepared me in no small way into the wonderful person I have become. So, if the 15k can solve one of your many needs, please take it. It worked for me, it will work for you. It will build you and make you respect values and people more. Cry when you feel like it but don't have a pity party, get up, dust yourself and go get your hands dirty. It will pay off in "the fulness of time"

I wish you the very best.

7 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by cromz(m): 2:59pm On Aug 18, 2015
Op since u graduated with 2:1 call this number there is a lawyers job at Ibadan for 50k 08035797548 the man is willing to pay more as long as you are of good conduct

2 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Aug 18, 2015
ECOTERRORS:
we need a professional advice plz.

Will a sister-to-sister advice pass as professional?
grin
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by darepoju(m): 3:00pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:

sir d only way is prayer....don't ppray alone this time..report ur case to men of God u need to b delivered..good luck..
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by samdelaw(m): 3:00pm On Aug 18, 2015
True talk
SaiBuharii:
Law and Medicne are overrated in Nigeria.

Wanted to study law, but was discouraged it's not worth it. I'm sure I will have easily finished with a min of a 2.1 in both uni and law skul.

Put in for a 4 year course and I'm earning my cash. My mates dt put in for law are still eida in law skul or serving, when they come to the labour mkt, no advantage.

Start doing courses that will feed you well, not that will give u title.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by gazilion: 3:00pm On Aug 18, 2015
swtchicgurl:

Then pray to God.

I was going to commend you on your response until I looked at your profile ( I normally do not do this).
When your body is that of a human being but your head is that of a red cock...you need more prayers than the op.

Gazilion
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by worlexy(m): 3:00pm On Aug 18, 2015
hmmm

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by mctech(m): 3:00pm On Aug 18, 2015
OP append your e-mail address to your post. As it made front page, thousands will see it and help will come to you in Jesus name. You could send your CV to omerianconsult@gmail.com.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Aug 18, 2015
swtchicgurl:

Then pray to God.
queenfav , this is the best direction you can get... that's if you can figure it out. I hope you do.a
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by AreaFada2: 3:03pm On Aug 18, 2015
My dear, it's way too early to regret anything. You read something you are passionate about. If only you can afford it, go for an LLM now that you're still young. If not keep your options very open. You may have to work in civil service or legal departments of private firms. There are many ways to apply your legal knowledge.
Keep your head up.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by AdeniyiA(m): 3:04pm On Aug 18, 2015
see life... undecided

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by door2(m): 3:06pm On Aug 18, 2015
Pls friend,froget abot that pls do not kill ur self. God is up there call on mii. ....Ore bi jesu ko si...
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by boyesola: 3:06pm On Aug 18, 2015
fear of unknown is worst than fear of reality, such person hangs himself before the expected change comes. be calm my brother, enter your future with courage and stop assuming evil, with God on your side sky is your limit.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Aug 18, 2015
In this present Nigeria, the people who survives are those who knows how to create jobs for themselves than to depend on white collar jobs. I nearly made that mistake of studying law if not for the grace of God. Am an enterprenuer. I advice you review ur cv, keep applying and at the same time, do something else to pay ur bills and put food on the table. When the time comes, u will surely rise. I understand the emotional trauma u are passing through. Keep fighting!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

The Perfect Resignation Letter / KPMG Salary Structure: Salary Payment Of Staffs Of KPMG Nigeria / Manager By Day, Sugar Baby At Night: A Week In The Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.