Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,897 members, 7,814,034 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? (60802 Views)

"I Make N45,000 Monthly" - Local Nail Cutter Reveals / Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis / 10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 6:59pm On Aug 18, 2015
nunzk:
No u did not. I got licensed as an estate surveyor and valuer and I'm trying to go back to school for a law degree. Will like to reach u maybe I can link you up with some legal friends of mine.
ok..thanks
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by kilode100(f): 7:01pm On Aug 18, 2015
RedBenson:
Op, which state are you? May be i can talk to my brother on your behalf. He also had rough moment both when in school and after school but today, by God's grace, he's able to put food on his table comfortably and afford other basic things of life. Let me know the state you are if it's within my area. I always feel bad seeing people in pains and willing to help within my little capacity though most at times, people dont want to help me when i need their help.

ReallY?
You wAnt to help her?..
Op, this one na professional ashawo man o... Contact him at Your own peril.

This one dey tear Toto and him Blockous big o.. He no dey even pay better money sef.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Vikky014(f): 7:04pm On Aug 18, 2015
SaiBuharii:

The pay has even reduced. The suffer > The benefit.
na waoh lipsrsealed
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 7:05pm On Aug 18, 2015
josite:
im a lawyer for over 2 decades and what i can telll you right now is you are the one with a wrong mindset and a wrong approach to the market.You don't start any race discouraged .My best advice for you right now is to seek scholarship and do masters and possibly phd and get yourself started on a ladder that leads to professorship or perm sec.

You sounds surely as someone who is not prepared for the tough career of a legal practitioner in Nigeria which is even getting tougher by the seconds.Better still you can join customs or police or immigration or politics.

I will do one thing for you .send your cv .we can arrange a probation for you for a limited time in chambers but believe me if you cant add value,the probation will not be extended and you will certainly get more far in excess of 15000 during the probabtion and more than enough empowerment to finetuned your career direction.supply your gsm here and i will give you the email.

stop being pessimistic,start praying and never stop praying and hoping and working,even 2000 failed applications doesn't mean all the applications will always fail.you owe apologies to the profession because we dont know of any firm paying 15k monthly.
please make your findings.there are firms that even pay 5000 naira.other lawyers in the house can testify.In warri,the highest paying firm is t.j okpoko and the salary is 40000.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by kilode100(f): 7:05pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:
ok..thanks,please mail me favouremonefe@gmail.com

See this learner o.. Dem go fvck your Toto for free o...

He better make keyamo knack you, than for these spƩrmful ambition-less that the only thing they got going is their Blockous.

Na you sabi.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Crispels(m): 7:07pm On Aug 18, 2015
Okestra01:
i have just one advice for you.Never depend on anyone for anything,nobody owes you any ladeer to success.Go after your own mind and be an entrepreneur and you will be amazed how successfull you will be.When you give people the impression and allow them to come to your aid consciously they will start laying madening claims on your success in the nearest future.Your future is in your hands and the future is now.Forget about law or whatever,be flexible with your thinking and your actions and you definitely will come out victoriously financially.The future belongs to those who take action by taking the bull by the horn.I studied international relations and during my nysc,i leanrt ICT and today when i do presentations for the DG and the board of directors,they keep asking if it was ict i did back in school due to my flexibility in it and they were even giving me an offer to come and work fully as a staff,but i declined.i prefer they pay me my millions and i leave as a consultant.The society is rotten already and everything seems to be going the opposite direction of normal.never allow that to pull you down but rather think out of the box of LAW.That you studied law doesnt mean you will be successfull through it.Dont relent and remember,its not over untill you win.

Wow bro! am a student of History and International relations.... Can we chat sir?? will like you to answer some questions for me.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by kilode100(f): 7:08pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:
please make your findings.there are firms that even pay 5000 naira.other lawyers in the house can testify.In warri,the highest paying firm is t.j okpoko and the salary is 40000.

40,000 for a whole Lawyer? shocked shocked shocked

When I dey do ashawo work, I dey earn more than that everyday that is if you include the ones I steal froM customer's trousers.

Na wa.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 7:10pm On Aug 18, 2015
kilode100:

ReallY?
You wAnt to help her?..
Op, this one na professional ashawo man o... Contact him at Your own peril.

This one dey tear Toto and him Blockous big o.. He no dey even pay better money sef.

To tear toto and to tear fellow man's anus, which one better pass? Even if i wan tear her toto, she no go follow enjoy am?
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 7:10pm On Aug 18, 2015
aribs:
Hey there,
I totally understand the way you feel right now. Its the same way I felt about 9 years back after youth service. my first salary was 5, 000 in Ibadan and I remembered thinking to myself "what have I gotten myself into?". now know this- the law profession is a great profession but it is a profession for hardworking people. the fact is the Nigerian economy is taking its own toll on the practice abilities of colleagues like yourself to sustain themselves. The seniors in the profession do not help the matter too. this is where you have to be creative and daring. for instance in my case I went to become a state counsel and later travelled out for my masters in the US. today I am an international tax counsel with knowledge in economics and finance. be creative ma'am. take whatever comes your way for now and get into the system. from there, drop the lawyer stiffness and talk to people and increase your social contacts . the connections will come like a trickle but nurture them till they become a flood. do what comes to you diligently and learn as much as you can. you have a unique knowledge not many people have . use it . I remember while I was a lawyer working for Oyo State, I volunteered for the difficult land cases. this made me know lots of people then in Ibadan. I went on radio to talk about new areas such as Alternative Dispute Resolution. the law certificate is just a mere ticket to the party. what you make of it is entirely up to you. I managed properties, sold land, marketed same , drafted agreements, sold diesel, formed companies for people, did divorces, evicted nonpaying tenants and so many more things I could not count. All legal and honorable. Get going and roll up your sleeves ma'am. I wish you all the best. Let me know how you are doing .
thanks a lot..at least someone underdtands what I am going thru.many are here screaming mindset up and down.When you spend over a million naira in law school,and close to 200k for call to bar expenses;only for most firms to be payin10-15k,u will understand fully that it goes beyond mindset.The seniors are not helping.My friend works with an AG,d man makes millions yet cannot even pay the guy 5k.his reason being that the govt pays him 19800.Wheras my friend works like a horse to keep the firm running.

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by kilode100(f): 7:11pm On Aug 18, 2015
RedBenson:

To tear toto and to tear fellow man's anus, which one better pass? Even if i wan tear her toto, she no go follow enjoy am?

Shun Sir!! grin grin

Ride on Sir!!
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Treash(m): 7:12pm On Aug 18, 2015
kilode100:

40,000 for a whole Lawyer? shocked shocked shocked

When I dey do ashawo work, I dey earn more than that everyday that is if you include the ones I steal froM customer's trousers.

Na wa.

Na God go punish u. Na so u steal my #6,500. So na u take am
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by kilode100(f): 7:14pm On Aug 18, 2015
Treash:

Na God go punish u. Na so u steal my #6,500. So na u take am

Shuo shocked shocked shocked

8 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 7:18pm On Aug 18, 2015
dam007:

Listen queenfav, I felt this same way too and really, I must admit, the thought of being unemployed and being used recklessly without good pay is appalling. till a couple of months back, I was in that trouble too. I have one thing I can guarantee, God. I finished with the last set of law school students (Lagos Campus). The result came out recently and thankfully, I made it... That's not all, I submitted my cv in two companies In the state where I reside and now currently work... one of the two companies didn't respond.. these companies lest I forget aren't Law firms but they have a legal unit that handles all their legal matters including follow up of their pending suits, official letters and all sort. I'm yet to serve in fact but somehow, God came through for me.. the invitation for the job interview came, went for it and shortly after, I was called and just like that, I got the job. do not give up just yet, you're more than you think you are, its frustrating I admit but really, you don't really have to start with a law firm to get into something.. believe me dear.. tons of people are out there with the same problem, cast your net again, this time not for one but other kinds of fish too... don't let the demeaning things people on this thread or anywhere else get to you.. for the record queen, I finished law school in may, i'm not in anyway connected to anyone in my workplace but the only one I k now is God. And believe me when I tell you.. God is indeed amazing, if he fixed me, ohh c'mon.. He'll fixya.. cheer up girl wink wink
thanks a lot dear..I know nairaland has a lot of immature and myopic minded people.so,it doesn't bother me.I just created this post to pour out my mind..I don't even enjoy telling people how I feel,cos they will just end up making me feel worse than I already do.I am praying and I know God will see me through.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by otiigba1(m): 7:19pm On Aug 18, 2015
shut:
Very deep dilemma, I feel your pain darling.
Just keep your head high,seek for options a little bit not common but somehow within your field,try many other things.

Don't just sit and apply,take a stroll,go places,meet people. Don't give up just yet.

This country tho,everyone fends for himself. We've got no government at all angry
which country don't have a government? cheesy, we do have a government, it's David cameron's conservative tongue
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 18, 2015
kilode100:

Shun Sir!! grin grin
Ride on Sir!!
I fit tear your toto?
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by otiigba1(m): 7:22pm On Aug 18, 2015
I wish i was a lawyer, you don't know how much i want to be a lawyer? sad
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by mon2lisa2: 7:23pm On Aug 18, 2015
My Dear, its always hard not impossible to begin life as a young lawyer,but what you have to realise first is the fact that nobody can pay you your worth as a lawyer.
I graduated from a foremost university with a 2.1, from law school with a 2.1 and the first job offer I got was for 40k, imagine! But I took it and then I started networking on a massive scale, it took me more than a year but now I earn nothing less than 200k everymonth from my own network and persistence. My advice: Join the Nba branch where you are, speak up! tell evryone you are looking for a place to offer your skills as a young lawyer. Have you heard of young lawyers forum? Attend! you will meet young people to help you too.keep applying and then pray. Always dress well and tell evryone you are a lawyer.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by safarigirl(f): 7:23pm On Aug 18, 2015
emusmith:
Safarigirl
hian! Bet why are you calling me? undecided
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Anaskie(m): 7:24pm On Aug 18, 2015
josite:
im a lawyer for over 2 decades and what i can telll you right now is you are the one with a wrong mindset and a wrong approach to the market.You don't start any race discouraged .My best advice for you right now is to seek scholarship and do masters and possibly phd and get yourself started on a ladder that leads to professorship or perm sec.

You sounds surely as someone who is not prepared for the tough career of a legal practitioner in Nigeria which is even getting tougher by the seconds.Better still you can join customs or police or immigration or politics.

I will do one thing for you .send your cv .we can arrange a probation for you for a limited time in chambers but believe me if you cant add value,the probation will not be extended and you will certainly get more far in excess of 15000 during the probabtion and more than enough empowerment to finetuned your career direction.supply your gsm here and i will give you the email.

stop being pessimistic,start praying and never stop praying and hoping and working,even 2000 failed applications doesn't mean all the applications will always fail.you owe apologies to the profession because we dont know of any firm paying 15k monthly.
Sir, the Op is a friend of mine and we are also exactly in the same shoes. Sir, its not a matter of being pessimistic. The seniors in the profession and the NBA in general are really doing nothing to encourage young lawyers.

I stay in Port Harcourt and sir, I can boldly say that majority of the private firms there will pay a new wig between 10- 20k only. Despite this, you'll still been expected to work as a slave for free. A friend of mine who's also a corp lawyer works as the firm's typist, secretary, generator attendant all for 15k. What is most annoying is when the seniors say that we are there to learn, so we shouldn't expect any pay from them.
Its only natural to be discouraged, especially when we start thinking of the time and money spent at the University and Law school, coupled with huge expectations from friends and family.

Its really not fair at all. Personally, i feel all these issues should be raised and addressed next week at the NBA conference.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 7:26pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jeneral4:
If u are nt ashamed of urslf, I am on ur behalf... ds is conduct incompatible with the status of a lawyer.. Onadeko must b biting his fingers in regret over calling u to the Bar. if I unearth ur identity, heaven knows dt I will personally drag u to the Legal Practitioners' Disciplinary Committee
please send me your statement of account..let me see the money you have made that is giving you the temerity to spew crap.I no blame you!olodo,na omadeko call you to bar?abi na body of benchers?mumu!
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 7:26pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jeneral4:
If u are nt ashamed of urslf, I am on ur behalf... ds is conduct incompatible with the status of a lawyer.. Onadeko must b biting his fingers in regret over calling u to the Bar. if I unearth ur identity, heaven knows dt I will personally drag u to the Legal Practitioners' Disciplinary Committee
please send me your statement of account..let me see the money you have made that is giving you the temerity to spew crap.I no blame you!olodo,na onadeko call you to bar?abi na body of benchers?if you don't have anything smart to say,shut the hell up!let me not pour my pent up anger on you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by kilode100(f): 7:29pm On Aug 18, 2015
RedBenson:

I fit tear your toto?

You no fit sir cheesy cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by ogawisdom(m): 7:30pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:
I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. So much that I didn't know when tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I am getting frustrated. To think I did everything right in school to ensure I left with with a 2:1 grade. I ask myself ,where did I go wrong? To make matters worse, my family members think all is well since I am a "barrister".

I am slowly beginning to regret my decision to be a lawyer. Though I am still serving as a batch C corps member,I get scared. So scared that I may have to take up work in a firm that pays 15000 naira. God knows I have tried. I have sent out more than 200 applications, yet nothing!

Which job recuitment site have I not signed up with? This was not what I envisaged for my career when I was being called to bar. Even in the midst of the mass failure of my set, I bagged a 2.2 from law school; still nothing to show for it. I know people from my university that graduated with 3rd class now working with top law firms.

Well, I have been told to stop wasting my time by applying for associate jobs on the websites of law firms. The reason being that they rarely employ lawyers anonymously. It is mostly through recommendation or connection. God knows I really want to practice law, but the job is not forthcoming. I have my rent to pay, bills to take care of and cannot survive on 15k a month after 6 years of going to school. I am open to suggestions anyways.

Someone even adviced I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me the cold shoulder. I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

After december, I may have to think of something else to do.

law is difficult to make it in without strong background and connection. most law firms will pay u less than 50k ie if u r exceptional n they consider ur application. keep praying n hoping i kw abt three young lawyers in Abj with masters and no job they r jst hussling.
advice think survival first by starting out any biz to earn a living u can still go to practice law later start agro biz or anything dt will earn u a living.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by kilode100(f): 7:32pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:
please send me your statement of account..let me see the money you have made that is giving you the temerity to spew crap.I no blame you!olodo,na onadeko call you to bar?abi na body of benchers?if you don't have anything smart to say,shut the hell up!let me not pour my pent up anger on you.

With this anger, you can conquer dear.
Weakness is a curse.

Channel it properly ok?

8 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by paulkollins: 7:34pm On Aug 18, 2015
Engage yourself in church activities, get to know people from there let them know you are a lawyer, then begin to write contract agreements at 10% of value considerations for church members, gradually you will bail culprits from the police cells and courts, people will get to know you more and more, and you will begin to enjoy being a lawyer. Don't worry. It is one of the best professions you ever dreamt of. Ensure you write back to Nairalanders when this piece of advise works for you. Thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by kilode100(f): 7:36pm On Aug 18, 2015
Anaskie:
Sir, the Op is a friend of mine and we are also exactly in the same shoes. Sir, its not a matter of being pessimistic. The seniors in the profession and the NBA in general are really doing nothing to encourage young lawyers.

I stay in Port Harcourt and sir, I can boldly say that majority of the private firms there will pay a new wig between 10- 20k only. Despite this, you'll still been expected to work as a slave for free. A friend of mine who's also a corp lawyer works as the firm's typist, secretary, generator attendant all for 15k. What is most annoying is when the seniors say that we are there to learn, so we shouldn't expect any pay from them.
Its only natural to be discouraged, especially when we start thinking of the time and money spent at the University and Law school, coupled with huge expectations from friends and family.

Its really not fair at all. Personally, i feel all these issues should be raised and addressed next week at the NBA conference.

10-20k?

Buhari is working o...

2 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 7:37pm On Aug 18, 2015
Anaskie:

you will live long..this is what many people don't know.Thanks for pointing it out intelligently.

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Aug 18, 2015
kilode100:

You no fit sir cheesy cheesy
Why?
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Aug 18, 2015
Look dude, my story is exactly the same, I even got a postgraduate from abroad hoping it will boost my employment prospects...nothing! What I can advice is that you should look for a small law firm where you can do attache for a year or two, your NYSC year should be spent in a chambers, don't mind the salary or lack thereof; afterwards, start your own chambers. As we speak am still hustling for work; Law doesn't really matter in Nigeria, it's all past glory things.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by sketcherJ(m): 7:45pm On Aug 18, 2015
Crispels:

Wow bro! am a student of History and International relations.... Can we chat sir?? will like you to answer some questions for me.
sir..how s did course?have u graduated...? And how are u fairing after graduation? I love did course and am going for it...
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by aribs(m): 7:45pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:
thanks a lot..at least someone underdtands what I am going thru.many are here screaming mindset up and down.When you spend over a million naira in law school,and close to 200k for call to bar expenses;only for most firms to be payin10-15k,u will understand fully that it goes beyond mindset.The seniors are not helping.My friend works with an AG,d man makes millions yet cannot even pay the guy 5k.his reason being that the govt pays him 19800.Wheras my friend works like a horse to keep the firm running.
the way new wigs are treated is something I would hope the NBA would address. lip service has been paid to it for far too long. new wigs should be mentored properly to keep the ones with the most potential in the profession. However , it is clear that the law profession is very different in practice now from what was obtainable in the past. please read my recommendations and work as hard as possible. go for what is at hand and start from there.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by benedict100(m): 8:07pm On Aug 18, 2015
Wen dey say make una read agricultural engineering una no gree....agriculture is d future

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

The Perfect Resignation Letter / Is Sweeping Of Roads The Riskiest Job In Lagos? (see PHOTOS) / KPMG Salary Structure: Salary Payment Of Staffs Of KPMG Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.