Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,247 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:11 AM

Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? (60756 Views)

"I Make N45,000 Monthly" - Local Nail Cutter Reveals / Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis / 10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Osisie(m): 8:42am On Aug 19, 2015
queenfav:
I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. So much that I didn't know when tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I am getting frustrated. To think I did everything right in school to ensure I left with with a 2:1 grade. I ask myself ,where did I go wrong? To make matters worse, my family members think all is well since I am a "barrister".

I am slowly beginning to regret my decision to be a lawyer. Though I am still serving as a batch C corps member,I get scared. So scared that I may have to take up work in a firm that pays 15000 naira. God knows I have tried. I have sent out more than 200 applications, yet nothing!

Which job recuitment site have I not signed up with? This was not what I envisaged for my career when I was being called to bar. Even in the midst of the mass failure of my set, I bagged a 2.2 from law school; still nothing to show for it. I know people from my university that graduated with 3rd class now working with top law firms.

Well, I have been told to stop wasting my time by applying for associate jobs on the websites of law firms. The reason being that they rarely employ lawyers anonymously. It is mostly through recommendation or connection. God knows I really want to practice law, but the job is not forthcoming. I have my rent to pay, bills to take care of and cannot survive on 15k a month after 6 years of going to school. I am open to suggestions anyways.

Someone even adviced I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me the cold shoulder. I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

After december, I may have to think of something else to do.

Welcome to the real world, bro. I get upset when undergrads act like they'll be in sch for ever. All the partying and fun fair will end one day, it's as certain as death is to every man. So, y not prepare? Start planning ur life from ur first year in sch. U could even become rich by the time u're graduating.....but no! They'll keep partying and merrying about. It's ok to practice law....ur passion. But it's far better to be able to deep hands in ur pocket and pay the bills conviniently.

I advice u embark on a quest to become rich....legitimately. Then u can even own ur own law firm, if law is ur passion. Take a clue from Tunde Bakare, Femi , and Banire.

Go and read "The Richest Man In Babylon". That should get u started.

Goodluck.

Btw, I'm a 100L student of Kogi State Uni. And I already got a life plan.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Osisie(m): 8:42am On Aug 19, 2015
queenfav:
I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. So much that I didn't know when tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I am getting frustrated. To think I did everything right in school to ensure I left with with a 2:1 grade. I ask myself ,where did I go wrong? To make matters worse, my family members think all is well since I am a "barrister".

I am slowly beginning to regret my decision to be a lawyer. Though I am still serving as a batch C corps member,I get scared. So scared that I may have to take up work in a firm that pays 15000 naira. God knows I have tried. I have sent out more than 200 applications, yet nothing!

Which job recuitment site have I not signed up with? This was not what I envisaged for my career when I was being called to bar. Even in the midst of the mass failure of my set, I bagged a 2.2 from law school; still nothing to show for it. I know people from my university that graduated with 3rd class now working with top law firms.

Well, I have been told to stop wasting my time by applying for associate jobs on the websites of law firms. The reason being that they rarely employ lawyers anonymously. It is mostly through recommendation or connection. God knows I really want to practice law, but the job is not forthcoming. I have my rent to pay, bills to take care of and cannot survive on 15k a month after 6 years of going to school. I am open to suggestions anyways.

Someone even adviced I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me the cold shoulder. I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

Welcome to the real world, bro. I get upset when undergrads act like they'll be in sch for ever. All the partying and fun fair will end one day, it's as certain as death is to every man. So, y not prepare? Start planning ur life from ur first year in sch. U could even become rich by the time u're graduating.....but no! They'll keep partying and merrying about. It's ok to practice law....ur passion. But it's far better to be able to deep hands in ur pocket and pay the bills conviniently.

I advice u embark on a quest to become rich....legitimately. Then u can even own ur own law firm, if law is ur passion. Take a clue from Tunde Bakare, Femi , and Muiz Banire.

Goodluck.

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by darmilolah(m): 9:01am On Aug 19, 2015
Richal20:
Dear, the truth is that we Nigerians we hate business apart from the igbos others hate business bcuz of laziness and they thought that biz is for illiterates. See lemme tell you somethin if u bcum an entrepreneur you will never regret it and you will be the boss of your own and help the govt in creating job opportunities ( dangote, bill gate, warren buffet, emeka offor, innosin motors, and all the richest men in the world today are entrepreneurs) so do involve in business than to die looking for job when we know that we graduate more than 1 million people per year so how many job opportunities is available. My fellow youths lets think,,, as for me after school na biz and investment as igbo man wey i be,,,, gbagam ?

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 9:18am On Aug 19, 2015
swtchicgurl:

I hope he does too. Thanks smiley
Yup smiley
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by dam007(m): 9:34am On Aug 19, 2015
queenfav:
thanks a lot dear..I know nairaland has a lot of immature and myopic minded people.so,it doesn't bother me.I just created this post to pour out my mind..I don't even enjoy telling people how I feel,cos they will just end up making me feel worse than I already do.I am praying and I know God will see me through.
Indeed.. I strongly believe in him. With respect to Nlanders... trust me, ive been on NL for 3 years now, its never going to stop being like that.. and hey, did you send that man your e-mail address? he might just be the help you've been hoping for.. and should you need materials, laws and practice materials (soft copies tho), just quote me or just send me you e-mail address.. smiley smiley be good.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 9:40am On Aug 19, 2015
Osisie:

I advice u embark on a quest to become rich....legitimately. Then u can even own ur own law firm, if law is ur passion. Take a clue from Tunde Bakare, Femi , and Muiz Banire.

Goodluck.

Thank u eh..when u are done with school,and no longer receiving a dime from your family,you would be in a better position to advice me..except you are already independent.

2 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by dam007(m): 9:45am On Aug 19, 2015
Osisie:

Goodluck.

your course?? remember, what rocks your boat might sink another's... besides, I feel you were a bit judgmental when you said #they party and merry# trust me, there are certain things you have to understand when you're in a tertiary institution. if you have your hands tied well enough you'll understand what the pleasure of letting off steam whenever you can really means to students under real pressure . I remember a time back in the university when all I had for myself each day was roughly 2 hours of 24... you cant really appreciate it now, you're only a 100 level student.. you'll get there.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Osisie(m): 9:46am On Aug 19, 2015
queenfav:
Thank u eh..when u are done with school,and no longer receiving a dime from your family,you would be in a better position to advice me..except you are already independent.

Bros, I pay my own bills. Pls read that book, pls. It is very rich and helpful.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Osisie(m): 10:02am On Aug 19, 2015
dam007:
your course?? remember, what rocks your boat might sink another's... besides, I feel you were a bit judgmental when you said #they party and merry# trust me, there are certain things you have to understand when you're in a tertiary institution. if you have your hands tied well enough you'll understand what the pleasure of letting off steam whenever you can really means to students under real pressure . I remember a time back in the university when all I had for myself each day was roughly 2 hours of 24... you cant really appreciate it now, you're only a 100 level student.. you'll get there.

Perhaps, I was a bit judgmental. I'm only human!

The university isn't my first higher institution. I graduated from Benue State Polytechnic in 2012. Ordinary Diploma in Mass Comm. I was the best graduating student. Got an award, one I now rather stamp under my feet.

Cos after I finished, I realized the race is not for the swift. And fastest runners don't always win the race. So, now I know better.

Good Luck to everyone.

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by dam007(m): 10:13am On Aug 19, 2015
Osisie:

The university isn't my first higher institution. I graduated from Benue State Polytechnic in 2012. Ordinary Diploma in Mass Comm. I was the best graduating student. Got an award, one I now rather stamp under my feet.

Cos after I finished, I realized the race is not for the swift. And fastest runners don't always win the race. So, now I know better.
Good Luck to everyone.
fair enough.. but really I feel if you ever want to compare situations, its pertinent to note that the margin between the courses and the institutions isn't small. no sentiments...
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by dam007(m): 10:15am On Aug 19, 2015
Osisie:

Good Luck to everyone.
plus, being human is no excuse to be judgmental...
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by TatyTan: 10:18am On Aug 19, 2015
Remember queenfav, it's always hard when you doing the right thing. It's kind of test to make sure that you are ready to fight for your dreams and goals. So if being lawyer is your dream don't even think to give up. When I was studying in university my biggest problem was writing essays, term papers, anything, and once I saw advertisement that essay writers required in usa, I couldn't even think that I could be able for it but I had no choice, I needed job, so I tried. It was hardest think I've ever did, but I did it, I achieved my goals. And you will also smiley Wish you all the best.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by fadconsult(m): 10:38am On Aug 19, 2015
same with ARCHITECTURAL PRACTICE , the seniors in the practices pay peanuts to the younger ones after spending over 6years in school, i kind of regret studying the course
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Okestra01(m): 11:27am On Aug 19, 2015
Crispels:

Wow bro! am a student of History and International relations.... Can we chat sir?? will like you to answer some questions for me.
Definitely,through what medium?
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Zillionglobal(m): 11:46am On Aug 19, 2015
queenfav:

@ opp where do u base. Reach me via my profile contact.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by bummyla(m): 11:48am On Aug 19, 2015
Start Applying for Admin Work, you might be lucky there! don't give up so soon! http://www.bummyla.com
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Zillionglobal(m): 11:48am On Aug 19, 2015
I knew a lady whose story was like your for 3 yrs but help came her way. If you are in abuja, reach me via my contact and am sure that help will equally come your way.
queenfav:

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by FANE4Naija: 12:31pm On Aug 19, 2015
SaiBuharii:
Law and Medicne are overrated in Nigeria, the stress is less than the benefit...unless u plan to relocate.

Wanted to study law, but was discouraged it's not worth it. I'm sure I will have easily finished with a minimum of a 2.1 in both uni and law skul...so it's not even the difficulty.

Put in for a 4 year course and I'm earning my cash. My mates dt put in for law are still eida in law skul or serving, when they come to the labour mkt, and they come to my industry, no advantage, they become my junior, even in the public service, they put them on grade 8

Start doing courses that will feed you well, not that will give u title. Don't impress your parents because they want to be "papa Lawyer, they will not feed your children. Since you are after the money, you must not practice. Banking industry, oil and gas, Agricultural industry, taxation industry await you with good offers.

By the way, you are still serving. You can't get paid for what is compulsory. No dey give yourself grief.
wait wait wait... i don't think you get it. I'll be back with a reply
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by FANE4Naija: 12:37pm On Aug 19, 2015
obailala:

No you did not make a mistake studying law and you are not making a mistake by being worried this early. However, you seem not to appreciate the terrible unemployment situation in the country yet, hence you complain about unsuccessful applications even though you are still serving.

Are there opportunities out there for you to practice your profession?... The answer is yes. But coming fresh from the university, the truth is that you do not yet know what is involved or what is obtainable in your field. Now is the time for you to start networking and socialising and doing all the mingling you can. When you mingle enough with people in your profession, you would be able to appreciate the vast range of options you have as a lawyer. When you appreciate the vast range of options you have as a lawyer, then you will be able to make an informed decision on which field you intend to build your career.

Whatever the case, now is too early to give up on your course; the problem you have presently has absolutely nothing to do with your course.
Mehn, you're smart! Wish I can give you a thousand likes.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Crispels(m): 12:52pm On Aug 19, 2015
Okestra01:
Definitely,through what medium?
Bbm or whatsapp sir
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Jeneral4: 12:59pm On Aug 19, 2015
U were called to the Nigerian Bar under Prof Onadeko's reign, so recourse to nomenclature of Body of B is pedestrian.. The diction u elected in ur earlier rejoinder doesn't send u out as a loya,. Yet, I'll progress in d assumption dt u are one.Words like OLODO are exclusive to d weak in intellect, bt dt is d very word dt holds sway in ur tongue . The NBA is the forum to express one's challenges in d profession, yet u hv humbly allowed urslf to b misled dt nairaland is d forum for it. All d loyaz in Nigeria will gather in Abuja ds month, yet u encourage urslf dt an appeal to pity on nairaland is more potent. The military short service forms are out n open to loyas n other professionals, bt u blv dt lachrymal posts wud ship in goodies. Bus conductors n OKADA riders, hv hijacked d thread to d extent of having to call for ur email, wch u gleefully sent,yet u declined to b critical to kno dt dey are only up for d GRAB.. I dnt want to b drawn into trifles since DE MINIMIS NON CURAT LEX (D law doesn't venture into trifles )..... Law pays every patient practitioner @its own time, nt wen u just close d cottons of d university. u chose law independent of any external pressure VOLENTI NON FIT INJURIA
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Okestra01(m): 1:03pm On Aug 19, 2015
Crispels:

Bbm or whatsapp sir
okay
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by seyenko(m): 2:03pm On Aug 19, 2015
There are so many estate and property development going on, you may need to understudy the industry and become a professional and well qualified estate lawyer
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by NaijaEcash(m): 2:28pm On Aug 19, 2015
No, you didn't make a mistake by studying law.
But you're are about making a mistake by giving up on yourself. Don't allow the fear of the unknown overwhelm you. If you survived the rigor of University and Law school, then I can bet that you are more equipped than the average entrepreneurs who had to struggle to survive amidst harsh competition in Nigeria.

What you need now is not money, but Godly counsel by "professionals" in the field you wish to work in. I will love to make recommendation, but I can't publish people's details on a social media like this.

I'm sure you're are getting encouraged with the tons of good wishes in responses to your post. Never give up on yourself! Stars do have scars! The test is what makes TESTimony captivating!

God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Olril18(m): 5:48pm On Aug 19, 2015
emmkid:

uuhnm, dz one is strong, bufness, olril18, Innocentkay4, cum n read ds oooo
its funny though.the beginning is usually tough in every profession..the op wants to start earning millions from the beginning.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by bufness(m): 5:51pm On Aug 19, 2015
Olril18:

its funny though.the beginning is usually tough in every profession..the op wants to start earning millions from the beginning.
abi, buh cum to fink of it, how can a lawyer b earning d same as a cleaner undecided
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Olril18(m): 6:14pm On Aug 19, 2015
bufness:
abi, buh cum to fink of it, how can a lawyer b earning d same as a cleaner undecided
lol..but law is all about experience..if u work hard and put ur head down,over time.its a rewarding profession.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by bufness(m): 6:35pm On Aug 19, 2015
Olril18:

lol..but law is all about experience..if u work hard and put ur head down,over time.its a rewarding profession.
hmmm true
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by celestinaona: 2:12pm On Aug 20, 2015
Mr Barrister, I want you to ask yourself these salient questions and if you can answer them correctly then the answers can set you in the right track.

What actually informed you to study Law?
What were you taught that law is?
What university did you attend private or public?
when you were in school were you in tune with reality ( Naija hassles and hustling) ?

My advice for you is that you should stop sounding defeated so early and face reality. The world at large is very tough, it really takes the grace of God and resilient to survive the hardship.

I was once told that in Law you must pay your dues before pleasures. so what dues have you paid? As barristers who knows his onions there are a lot legitimate ventures you can delve into but be ready to learn from your senior learned colleagues. Once you are able to understand what studying law entails in reality then you will be grateful to God that you study law. Remember its a noble profession, you can decide not to work in any firm be it law or whatever (na hustling profession).

I have a cousin who studied law his first salary with a law firm was 8k monthly he never quit but after 8 years he has his own law firm, own a personal house, married with 3 kids he changes is car almost every two years. Note : he from a poor family back ground so no family connection he always says law is the best profession on planet earth.

Myself, I have M.Sc. Geophysics from Uniben but today am yet to get a job in that line of profession but i still very grateful to God because i was able to get a job placement in an oil firm. But before now the hussles was not actually easy in-fact i saw my self selling clothes on the streets of Benin.

You can succeed if you want to even in this harsh economy. Remain focus and be determine...................Remember when the going gets tough the tough gets going.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by CBNIM: 2:16am On Aug 21, 2015
op, I think enough variant and valid responses have been given you. All you need do is go through them, you might pick one or two things from them.

Above all, remember the God factor, it's a sine-qua none to every genuine success.
Goodluck.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Ifediba88: 9:59am On Sep 08, 2015
kilode100:

40,000 for a whole Lawyer? shocked shocked shocked

When I dey do ashawo work, I dey earn more than that everyday that is if you include the ones I steal froM customer's trousers.

Na wa.

You no get shame?
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Venom104: 3:05am On Sep 23, 2015
fadconsult:
same with ARCHITECTURAL PRACTICE , the seniors in the practices pay peanuts to the younger ones after spending over 6years in school, i kind of regret studying the course

Brother in practice.. Kindly mail me

Venom_104@yahoo.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

The Perfect Resignation Letter / KPMG Salary Structure: Salary Payment Of Staffs Of KPMG Nigeria / Manager By Day, Sugar Baby At Night: A Week In The Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.