Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,968 members, 7,814,263 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:10 AM

Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? (60807 Views)

"I Make N45,000 Monthly" - Local Nail Cutter Reveals / Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis / 10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by tonychristopher: 8:08pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:
I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. So much that I didn't know when tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I am getting frustrated. To think I did everything right in school to ensure I left with with a 2:1 grade. I ask myself ,where did I go wrong? To make matters worse, my family members think all is well since I am a "barrister".

I am slowly beginning to regret my decision to be a lawyer. Though I am still serving as a batch C corps member,I get scared. So scared that I may have to take up work in a firm that pays 15000 naira. God knows I have tried. I have sent out more than 200 applications, yet nothing!

Which job recuitment site have I not signed up with? This was not what I envisaged for my career when I was being called to bar. Even in the midst of the mass failure of my set, I bagged a 2.2 from law school; still nothing to show for it. I know people from my university that graduated with 3rd class now working with top law firms.

Well, I have been told to stop wasting my time by applying for associate jobs on the websites of law firms. The reason being that they rarely employ lawyers anonymously. It is mostly through recommendation or connection. God knows I really want to practice law, but the job is not forthcoming. I have my rent to pay, bills to take care of and cannot survive on 15k a month after 6 years of going to school. I am open to suggestions anyways.

Someone even adviced I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me the cold shoulder. I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

After december, I may have to think of something else to do.

Its a pity that its got you but to be honest there are courses that I will never allow my person to study one if them is law ...they answer big name but earn small and I will advise you try opening a chamber though ..it works take all the these small agreement.. I have a guy that did it now he is a big boy..he hates litigation like hell but bring land matter or property to sell he is on it
Forget going to court leave that to the gray men face the streets in short hit the streets

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by megastu(m): 8:08pm On Aug 18, 2015
@OP,

If you are the one that sent me C.V on sunday, remember i said i was at a function with a practice administrator of a top law firm who i also showed your C.V and she said i should forward to her.

One advice i have for you is never to come vent anger this way. It has not been easy for most people. You dont just set out from school and expect to make money all the time. When i interview people i look out for voluntary work as well. Try and volunteer in a reputable organisation. It will also help your C.V.

Also as someone wrote earlier, you might need to re write your CV with the help of a professional. Have you signed up on linkedin? if not, please do. People get jobs there too.

Good luck.
queenfav:
I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. So much that I didn't know when tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I am getting frustrated. To think I did everything right in school to ensure I left with with a 2:1 grade. I ask myself ,where did I go wrong? To make matters worse, my family members think all is well since I am a "barrister".

I am slowly beginning to regret my decision to be a lawyer. Though I am still serving as a batch C corps member,I get scared. So scared that I may have to take up work in a firm that pays 15000 naira. God knows I have tried. I have sent out more than 200 applications, yet nothing!

Which job recuitment site have I not signed up with? This was not what I envisaged for my career when I was being called to bar. Even in the midst of the mass failure of my set, I bagged a 2.2 from law school; still nothing to show for it. I know people from my university that graduated with 3rd class now working with top law firms.

Well, I have been told to stop wasting my time by applying for associate jobs on the websites of law firms. The reason being that they rarely employ lawyers anonymously. It is mostly through recommendation or connection. God knows I really want to practice law, but the job is not forthcoming. I have my rent to pay, bills to take care of and cannot survive on 15k a month after 6 years of going to school. I am open to suggestions anyways.

Someone even adviced I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me the cold shoulder. I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by deolumike(m): 8:12pm On Aug 18, 2015
viazi:
@ Op,
Here is my advice for U. First Calm down. I graduated from both University and Law School 11 (Eleven) years ago with the same grades U have. I took up practice Job with a Law firm in Abuja and my take home couldnt take me home but I persisted for experience sake while looking for a good paying Job,I never got the good paying job. After 2 years I resigned and offered the same office my free service in return for me to use their office and facilities carry own my Private Practice and hustle my own Clients. In summary, it paid off, I presently live in my own house, I have bagged my masters and married with 2 kids, I have commenced Phd and am about changing my Car to an SUV.

LESSON: The beginning is very rough, its a near death experience but it will always be worth it. Above all be, be filled with the holy spirit.
I'm curious. Please, how did you get so much clients?

2 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 8:17pm On Aug 18, 2015
GogobiriLalas:
Look dude, my story is exactly the same, I even got a postgraduate from abroad hoping it will boost my employment prospects...nothing! What I can advice is that you should look for a small law firm where you can do attache for a year or two, your NYSC year should be spent in a chambers, don't mind the salary or lack thereof; afterwards, start your own chambers. As we speak am still hustling for work; Law doesn't really matter in Nigeria, it's all past glory things.
my dear,I wil attach myself to a small firm for 2 years and learn.I really want to practice,but d reality on ground is scary.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by GiftUbani: 8:19pm On Aug 18, 2015
Barrister, Gods time is d best, be patient.you wl get a gud job. I knw how u feel, Infact, am discouragd ryt now because am in my final year nd i cnt imagin masef in d labor market. I dnt tink i am ready for d rejection. I hate rejection!!!. Am rili scared of graduating bkos i dnt knw if i can cope being unemployed bkos am d 1st daugter nd i av 6siblins lukin up to me. I dnt want to fail dem. Dey so much trust me. And wit d rizing state of unemployment i jst dnt knw...
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 8:24pm On Aug 18, 2015
aribs:

the way new wigs are treated is something I would hope the NBA would address. lip service has been paid to it for far too long. new wigs should be mentored properly to keep the ones with the most potential in the profession. However , it is clear that the law profession is very different in practice now from what was obtainable in the past. please read my recommendations and work as hard as possible. go for what is at hand and start from there.
its sickening o..God will help us.Only a lawyer wil fully understand what new wigs go through.I have a male friend who was in the same law school campus with me.After our call to bar,he set up his own fish farming company in delta and is doing ok.Then I thought he was making a mistake since he is extremely good in advocacy.But now,I totally see why he dumped his wig and gown.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by babeface3: 8:32pm On Aug 18, 2015
Please follow this step. I tried to get ur contact. Go to court esp if you r in Lag. Get those adverts for new lawyers and start with one. You may not start earning big but stick with the training. Like that you will get the experience and move. Please this is how it works. Student lawyers, intending lawyers and new layers pls take note. This is the usual way in practice. Usual emphasised
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by aribs(m): 8:38pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:
its sickening o..God will help us.Only a lawyer wil fully understand what new wigs go through.I have a male friend who was in the same law school campus with me.After our call to bar,he set up his own fish farming company in delta and is doing ok.Then I thought he was making a mistake since he is extremely good in advocacy.But now,I totally see why he dumped his wig and gown.
if practice is what you want to do, stick to it. the limitations of our legal training blinds we lawyers to see the opportunities that are revolving around law. a few folks here have talked about being an in-house counsel or legal officer. you can look for that. also , learn and learn. I know it is hard because bills have to be paid and backgrounds are different but take the little and work as hard as possible to learn. that knowledge would speak for you when the opportunities come your way. if you are able, look at niche areas you can identify after getting grounded. law is a jealous profession. you have to covet and serve it with all your being before it begins to serve you
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by dom(m): 8:54pm On Aug 18, 2015
Hmmmmmm. Hold yourself together, counsel. Nil desperado. U are giving up when u haven't even started. Haba. Though I do not know what they teach u guys at the law school these days, but when we left Bwari over a decade ago, we did so with our heads held very high and confident we've been imbued with what it takes to take on the world. Today there's none of us that haven't stabilised ,( having paid our dues), doing very well in whatever sector each person decided to veer into. Many are even on the bench, some are special assistants (legal) to ministers, governors and the like. Those who persisted in litigation have set up flourishing legal practices. You too must gird ur loins and prepare to pay your dues. Law has a long gestation period. The bible enjoins us to despise not the days of little beginnings.But U can also decide to veer off law. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. But whatever u decide to do, be patient enough to learn the ropes, mix up with senior colleagues, and always tell God u are a pencil in his hands. God bless u immensely and grant u the confidence to persevere and conquer.

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by simdam500(m): 8:56pm On Aug 18, 2015
Well I'll say u didn't make a mistake studying law and u didn't make a mistake by complaining! That all I have to say.

I think I'll be the last person you will ever need to hear an advice from. But just do what you know how to do best.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by captianfreeman(m): 9:10pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:

Bros but why ? wetin you for study sef ? did you say you are still serving? anyway, you are just too scared of the future, and you know what? God fit vex for you. Talking about studying law, it is one of the best course to study in the university. Now,this is my own piece of advice: Try going into practice, it is not easy but at the end, you will carve a niche for yourself. Good luck
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by TheAdvocate(m): 9:27pm On Aug 18, 2015
SaiBuharii:
Law and Medicne are overrated in Nigeria, the stress is less than the benefit...unless u plan to relocate.

Wanted to study law, but was discouraged it's not worth it. I'm sure I will have easily finished with a minimum of a 2.1 in both uni and law skul...so it's not even the difficulty.

Put in for a 4 year course and I'm earning my cash. My mates dt put in for law are still eida in law skul or serving, when they come to the labour mkt, and they come to my industry, no advantage, they become my junior, even in the public service, they put them on grade 8

Start doing courses that will feed you well, not that will give u title. Don't impress your parents because they want to be "papa Lawyer, they will not feed your children. Since you are after the money, you must not practice. Banking industry, oil and gas, Agricultural industry, taxation industry await you with good offers.

By the way, you are still serving. You can't get paid for what is compulsory. No dey give yourself grief.

Scammer!!!
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Gboliwe: 9:28pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:
thanks a lot..u are wise beyond your years..I will take up a job with the firm that will pay 10k by january if I don't get anything better.God dey!

Where is your location? You may be lucky someone may give you recommendation and remain sleepless for your case. Stay positive always.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by adadadon(m): 9:40pm On Aug 18, 2015
Hidentity:
My friend,

Ordinarily, I don't enjoy making comments on issues like this, but I was touched by some of your lines. First, I must admit that the situation of things is not fair enough. But there are a couple of questions that I have come to figure out from your complaint and I think that answering them will help:

1: Why did you study law? What was the driving force? The motivation?

2: Outside law, what other things can you do?

3: What is your professional plan like?

4: Who are the calibres of people you move with?

5: What is your attitude like? Like your personality and what people can say about you if they are asked in a sentence.

6: What do you do with everyday that comes by?

My dear, I am a lawyer- less than a year at the Bar and currently serving too. Here is my point, I was as worried as you are a couple of months back- though not for the same reasons. Mine was the fear of underachievement. However, after my call, I applied for job in a few firms and I was lucky to get like 4 of 6. Now look at this scenario, I got one for a pay of close to #100,000 and one below #50,000 in different firms. What did I do?

I went back to my strategy and professional chart table. What did I want? I am passionate about advocacy and I know that given the avenue to showcase that in a certain number of years, I'll be somewhere, but then the firm that would pay me higher won't afford me that chance. Why? I am a young counsel and they have no time for test running, so I'll be carrying files about behind senior colleagues and earning money. No, I won't be driven by cash, money can't buy my dream. At the other firm, tasks abound for me, but the pay isn't much. Yes, I'll go for that- I'll be directly involved in the practice of law, judges will note my ability, clients would and I'll grow along the line.

I went for the lesser pay, luckily the firm was owned by a special adviser to the Governor of a state. Very brilliant colleagues to compete with, but guess what? I write, they don't. Yet, we are all deft at the knowledge of law and advocacy for our ages. My boss discovered that, I became a sort of pal. Anytime she is going for a meeting, I'd be invited and right there she would introduce me as 'a colleague'. This woman is over 15 years at the Bar and yes, one of the most influential female lawyers in the state. In addition to law practice, I was writing speeches for her, doing researches and all. But I had an ace up my sleeve the day I got called to Bar- I won't serve for more than a year with any firm and I'll always leave when the ovation is the loudest. In 6 months, I indicated interest in resigning and whao, I got an incredible remark, words and all. Till now she still calls me for some tasks and I am certain the doors of the firm are open for me anytime.

She had refused to employ another lawyer to fill my vacant seat for over a month. She then invited me for a conference, but my schedule in my new job didn't allow it. I recommended a friend and verbatim, this was her reply via text: I don't know if he has your skill and versatility. I am looking for specific qualities. My friend, does that look like she wanted just a lawyer? NO! What other things do you do?

Now, I serve at the legal department of INEC. I must admit that as per pay, I'm not getting what I want but I'm convinced I'm walking the right path. Just today, while in Court, my boss was to object to something on a point of law and I whispered something to him to add. Dear, after all his submission, the sentence I whispered to him was what the Court kept repeating while during recess, some people came to him to write down that exact line. I don't know if you are getting my point.

About the people you move with, i used to write for the love of it- poetry, opinion piece, legal articles etc. People read and comment. A friend had told me one day 'since writing for you is like breathing for a healthy man, convert that.' That night, I wrote to all media outfits using my articles to stop if they can't pay me. I didn't get reply from some, some replied. Dear, for every article I write today, while some comment to commend me and some idle thinkers insult me, I can boast that thousands are entering my bank account. Recently, i was sent a screenshot of a book selling on Amazon, dear I was one of the 11 African writers that contributed in the anthology. It is the first of its edition. I was not even contacted by the publisher but i was acknowledged. Wanted to sue them, but I thought 'they are selling me.' Was I taught that in the University or the law school? Friend, I can go on and on. As a corp member, I have gotten invitation for interviews in not less than 6 firms and organisations but I couldn't go due to my schedule. Recently, one Human Rights organisation contacted me to negotiate on the pay for a job. I was also recently part of a team that met Mr. Dele Odule for a proposal on a certain task. Mr. Dele Odule had asked after my presentation: you studied in the UK? I said No. He was dazed. You know why, i have discovered my strength and I am leveraging on it to achieve my goals. You can do the same.

I was graduated by a Federal University, I wasn't from a rich background and I have never been given any letter to deliver somewhere for job, but I am doing well for my age and ability. I used to negotiate with my weakness in mind- I just need a few thousands, I am not a senator's son etc. It has changed- I negotiate with my strength and the status of the other party.

About what people know about you, everyday, I get tons of works to edit for people- speeches, addresses, articles, research works and coaching on public speaking. It is so tasking. In fact, on a lighter note, there is this crazy dude that can't send a common text to his girlfriend without my input. Sounds petty? I hope you understand. I have to combine official works with some of it. Yet, I don't appear like I'm laboured- I have successfully merged passion and talent with dreams.Guess what? I never start at all. I'm still WARMING UP.

I am not where I intend to reach, but I can boast that I am not where I was some months back. The only person on your way is the one in the mirror- YOU. Not those law firms, the low pays or anybody.

Be good.
sounds like an ex-student of OAU...
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by MhizLehwayche(f): 9:41pm On Aug 18, 2015
i love your advice to him obailala.... its not about the profession... unemployment is a nigerian/world situation.
obailala:

No you did not make a mistake studying law and you are not making a mistake by being worried this early. However, you seem not to appreciate the terrible unemployment situation in the country yet, hence you complain about unsuccessful applications even though you are still serving.

Are there opportunities out there for you to practice your profession?... The answer is yes. But coming fresh from the university, the truth is that you do not yet know what is involved or what is obtainable in your field. Now is the time for you to start networking and socialising and doing all the mingling you can. When you mingle enough with people in your profession, you would be able to appreciate the vast range of options you have as a lawyer. When you appreciate the vast range of options you have as a lawyer, then you will be able to make an informed decision on which field you intend to build your career.

Whatever the case, now is too early to give up on your course; the problem you have presently has absolutely nothing to do with your course.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by jornie(m): 10:08pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:

bro,start your own firm.with a 2.1 i think what you need is the right people and right energy around you.TBH,i know a lawyer,who's very ok today,who started his chambers immediately after NYSC.although,he had hard times in the beginning,now if he's having any hard time,its not because of his job or career.i can remember he started with registering businesses for people(CAC sh**),managing properties and then drafting legal papers for agreements in 2012.you just need to put your self out there and make people know that you render these services.....Good luck!!
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by osy77(m): 10:28pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:

having gone tru ur "constraints" I must say I do not share ur views about d legal profession...I will only advice u to be patient as 2 carve a nitch 4 urself has alot to do with experience. being that ur still a serving corper I'll encourage u not to give up on ur dream/passion of indulging in d practice of law as every great lawyer today practically has a story to tell...I was called some 8 years ago & trust me I started with 5k a month but today I bless God 4 d journey thus far as we can afford some luxuries...where are u located u might get get a lil push...

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by grandstar(m): 10:30pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:

Many start with such pitiful salaries but eventually they rise.

What really counts is experience. That is what it really takes to get the very good jobs.

So advise you to gather the experience no matter how small the pay.

Note that after a while and if you advertise yourself as a lawyer, you'd be getting jobs here and there while working so you won't be 100% dependent on your salary. How do you think most survive.

After like the 5 years at most, you can move up. By then, company secretary won't be a bad thing grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Claroo(m): 10:55pm On Aug 18, 2015
Jeneral4:
If u are nt ashamed of urslf, I am on ur behalf... ds is conduct incompatible with the status of a lawyer.. Onadeko must b biting his fingers in regret over calling u to the Bar. if I unearth ur identity, heaven knows dt I will personally drag u to the Legal Practitioners' Disciplinary Committee
Shut up please....go drag her naa
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Richal20(m): 10:57pm On Aug 18, 2015
Dear, the truth is that we Nigerians we hate business apart from the igbos others hate business bcuz of laziness and they thought that biz is for illiterates. See lemme tell you somethin if u bcum an entrepreneur you will never regret it and you will be the boss of your own and help the govt in creating job opportunities ( dangote, bill gate, warren buffet, emeka offor, innosin motors, and all the richest men in the world today are entrepreneurs) so do involve in business than to die looking for job when we know that we graduate more than 1 million people per year so how many job opportunities is available. My fellow youths lets think,,, as for me after school na biz and investment as igbo man wey i be,,,, gbagam ?

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by aribs(m): 11:03pm On Aug 18, 2015
dam007:
I'm really encouraged by your words sir..
I am glad I encouraged you
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by SmartMugu: 11:14pm On Aug 18, 2015
YerYer:
You have no experience yet and you want overnight success. Be patient, you are highly educated, no knowledge acquired can be taken away from you. I don't know any hungry lawyer, be patient and you will succeed.
Perfect answer!
OP, I do know u still need some on-the-job experience, and what I can suggest is for you to volunteer with ur professional skills while job searching. Not sure how it works in the legal area, but I know a lot of people end up with various charges that could be dismissed if they had legal representation. You are adding to ur experience in the process. Afterwards, u may start thinking of starting ur own firm; unless u prefer working for someone.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by SmartMugu: 11:23pm On Aug 18, 2015
Why is everyone using him for OP? The handle appears feminine.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by queenfav(f): 12:39am On Aug 19, 2015
SmartMugu:
Why is everyone using him for OP? The handle appears feminine.
I observed it too..maybe most of them can't believe a lady is lamenting about getting a job.Wheras others just want to get married and lean on their husband for everything.To each his own.I am more focused on making sth of my life before I even think M..let alone marriage.

2 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Beowulf(m): 12:45am On Aug 19, 2015
OP, I feel you. I have tried to send you an email. I am not promising anything but send me your CV and if it is as good as you make out I will try my level best to get you a job in a top law firm in Lagos. I am sure many may sneer at this but I am being 100% with you. Not to toot my own horn I have met at least two friends on here who I helped get something.

In any event, all the best and keep your head up. Law really pays once you are keyed into the right place by God's grace.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by tablu: 1:49am On Aug 19, 2015
I really understand your plight my brother which has compelled me to say a word or two just to inspire your sad countenance.
The poor educational institutions are the cause of this current orientation that bewilders the mind of graduates on the streets searching for jobs and soo these ivory towers have failed to instill the value of community service to the undergraduates thereby disallowing the graduates to appreciate the privilege of acquiring knowledge from these various institutions
I also graduated from a public tertiary institution 9yrs ago, served in a secondary school as a literature teacher in a remote village in the southeast that had no water or light.As a batch B corp member I was welcomed with a heavy thunder storm that blew off the metal zinc roof of the j.s.s 1-3 block and saddled with the mindset of serving the community I saw to it that I assisted the school in replacing the zinc roof with help from State Universal basic Education.Coupled with this project I also organised a capacity building in collaboration with Small and medium enterprise developement agency to train women within the community in soap makin, palm kernel extraction, insecticide making, airfreshners and the enterpreneural skills to manage these small scale businesses.Registering them as a cooperative society to secure a loan to start the business was another diificult task which I accomplished 2days after my P.O.P.Eventhough the money the women received was not much,what mattered the most was their level of gratitude and appreciation and the point that I had the priviledge of attending an ivory tower that instilled some form of value inside of me.
This story is not to make you feel like you have not done enough or you must serve in one jungle to make your inpression felt but all it intends to do is to ingnite a passion to serve and the humility to start small no matter the circumstance you find your self.Yes I got a recommendation by the state govt, a merit award by the presidency and eventhough I was denied the privledge of workin with one of the most prestigious NGO's due to the politiking that evolved but that did not deter me, i changed 3 jobs after my youth service and I am currently studying LAW in one of the Federal institutions.
Finally, the legal profession is an enviable and noble one at that please search your inner self to serve your society with your creative passion, challenges here and there may abound regarding how much you will be paid and all but I want you to look at every disadvantaged point and challenge as an opportunity to build character.I will leave you with quotes from the most perfect book ever written 'The Bible' "...God causes rain to fall on the good and evil..." "Whatever your hands findeth to do, do it well...'"God will reward the works of ur hands and always remember that where knowledge and education cannot take you character will elevate you....
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by babilicious: 2:37am On Aug 19, 2015
queenfav:

THis is my candid advice ....i am also a lawyer and love the legal/ noble profession with a passion, litigation Doesn't pay...especially when you're a new wig and don't have contacts yet, my advice is that you go into corporate practise immediately, u can work as a legal secretary or legal adviser or any relevant position in a company, employers respect lawyers a lot cos they see them as an added advantage in their company and pay from 80k above....also working in a company will gv u opportunity to do incorporation of new companies....pls don't ever regret studying law in school cos if you know the opportunities, respect and privileges waiting for u both in the labour market and beyond u will be sooooooo thankful to have studied law...wish u success in your future endeavour
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by emmadejust(m): 4:57am On Aug 19, 2015
[size=20pt]

Every career have its location to thrive or succeed.......
NO...1 law........... Locations is everything
Location position you for opportunity
Most firm checks your resident address before considering you for a job

An architect cannot succeed in a village where everybody is a farmer

Mechanical engineers cannot succeed in a place where everybody rides okada, or no factory.....

Go out from your comfort zone and know more places in Nigeria where your career is in more demand and paying...

[/size]
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Teespice(f): 6:52am On Aug 19, 2015
swtchicgurl:
Op, check your profile picture again.
Then pray to God.
tell me what her profile picture has to do with the post she made.
judgemental lot.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by tinziemaine(m): 6:54am On Aug 19, 2015
It's [size=20pt]BETTER GO BEG THOSE OLD PEOPLE IN THE VILLAGE[/size]
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by swtchicgurl: 6:55am On Aug 19, 2015
Teespice:

tell me what her profile picture has to do with the post she made.

judgemental lot.

Lol
It's not my fault you arrived late to the party.

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Teespice(f): 6:57am On Aug 19, 2015
OP,

please dont feel discouraged. review your CV and keep applying for jobs. you will see that patience pays at the end of the day.

if that does not work, try your hands on a skill and make the most of it.

cheers.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

The Perfect Resignation Letter / Is Sweeping Of Roads The Riskiest Job In Lagos? (see PHOTOS) / KPMG Salary Structure: Salary Payment Of Staffs Of KPMG Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.