Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,876 members, 7,813,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? (60800 Views)

"I Make N45,000 Monthly" - Local Nail Cutter Reveals / Can I Make A Living Out Of Data Analysis / 10 Professions In Nigeria You Can Still Practice Without Studying them (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Aug 18, 2015
Safarigirl
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by eleko1: 3:38pm On Aug 18, 2015
That is even beta than being jobless/nuisance
steppin:
Barrister indeed! Op na "Charge and bail" lawyer...LWKMD grin
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by josite: 3:44pm On Aug 18, 2015
im a lawyer for over 2 decades and what i can telll you right now is you are the one with a wrong mindset and a wrong approach to the market.You don't start any race discouraged .My best advice for you right now is to seek scholarship and do masters and possibly phd and get yourself started on a ladder that leads to professorship or perm sec.

You sounds surely as someone who is not prepared for the tough career of a legal practitioner in Nigeria which is even getting tougher by the seconds.Better still you can join customs or police or immigration or politics.

I will do one thing for you .send your cv .we can arrange a probation for you for a limited time in chambers but believe me if you cant add value,the probation will not be extended and you will certainly get more far in excess of 15000 during the probabtion and more than enough empowerment to finetuned your career direction.supply your gsm here and i will give you the email.

stop being pessimistic,start praying and never stop praying and hoping and working,even 2000 failed applications doesn't mean all the applications will always fail.you owe apologies to the profession because we dont know of any firm paying 15k monthly.

5 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by bigerboy200: 3:45pm On Aug 18, 2015
Dhotseal:

Spoken like one of those lawyer wannabes who didn't make the cut. She needs encouragement, so if u dnt have any to offer, just bug off. I am a lawyer, and i am certain I earn more in a month than u make in a year. So, it got nothing to do with ur 4yrs in uni...depends each person's will to succeed.
U are not in anyway different from d person u were mayb correcting.. all I see in both of u is pride which cometh b4 a fall...stay humble..u won't fall IJN..
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by aribs(m): 3:45pm On Aug 18, 2015
Hey there,
I totally understand the way you feel right now. Its the same way I felt about 9 years back after youth service. my first salary was 5, 000 in Ibadan and I remembered thinking to myself "what have I gotten myself into?". now know this- the law profession is a great profession but it is a profession for hardworking people. the fact is the Nigerian economy is taking its own toll on the practice abilities of colleagues like yourself to sustain themselves. The seniors in the profession do not help the matter too. this is where you have to be creative and daring. for instance in my case I went to become a state counsel and later travelled out for my masters in the US. today I am an international tax counsel with knowledge in economics and finance. be creative ma'am. take whatever comes your way for now and get into the system. from there, drop the lawyer stiffness and talk to people and increase your social contacts . the connections will come like a trickle but nurture them till they become a flood. do what comes to you diligently and learn as much as you can. you have a unique knowledge not many people have . use it . I remember while I was a lawyer working for Oyo State, I volunteered for the difficult land cases. this made me know lots of people then in Ibadan. I went on radio to talk about new areas such as Alternative Dispute Resolution. the law certificate is just a mere ticket to the party. what you make of it is entirely up to you. I managed properties, sold land, marketed same , drafted agreements, sold diesel, formed companies for people, did divorces, evicted nonpaying tenants and so many more things I could not count. All legal and honorable. Get going and roll up your sleeves ma'am. I wish you all the best. Let me know how you are doing .

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by 247notire(m): 3:45pm On Aug 18, 2015
tolusan:

Abeg inbox me details of your organization make I tell my competent colleagues who need jobs grin
Lol. U think say I no like the job abi? Meanwhile we neva start recruitment now. But when we do I'll let u guys knw. How? well till then. U may need to keep tabs on my posts from time to time
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by millionboi(m): 3:47pm On Aug 18, 2015
YerYer:
You have no experience yet and you want overnight success. Be patient, you are highly educated, no knowledge acquired can be taken away from you. I don't know any hungry lawyer, be patient and you will succeed.
wat did u jst said?com my area thy plenty
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by dayodare49o: 3:51pm On Aug 18, 2015
otijah:
@op I feel like shedding tears on your behalf to God, this country is a shit for all I care but our president too. I prophesy to u that by this time next month u will hit another FP with smiles and testimonies for us. Amen

@guy above me is a SCAMMER

this guy has not even done any bo-boy in any law firm before he starts to complain. Go to court see your mates begging for work. Where does he thing he is? The most common professionals are lawyers. Every street you enter in nigerian 36 states has hundres on law firm. Some can not even afford to pay secretary. Their office always empty.

2 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by metorichmond(m): 3:55pm On Aug 18, 2015
Can't recall the last time I saw my result self, m a 2 1 graduate of geology from fut minna, got tired of waitn for d so called oil job n the white collar big salary job, had to fling the result one side n pick up a sales job where results are not relevant rather figures u can deliver in terms of sales, started from the lowest position in the company Sales merchandiser with a salary of 10k, today m a key account officer/sales executive with a salary of 70k excluding incentives. I am 2yrs old in d company. The sales job is stressful but I think m enjoying it.

3 Likes

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by saudatu(m): 3:55pm On Aug 18, 2015
Okestra01:
i have just one advice for you.Never depend on anyone for anything,nobody owes you any ladeer to success.Go after your own mind and be an entrepreneur and you will be amazed how successfull you will be.When you give people the impression and allow them to come to your aid consciously they will start laying madening claims on your success in the nearest future.Your future is in your hands and the future is now.Forget about law or whatever,be flexible with your thinking and your actions and you definitely will come out victoriously financially.The future belongs to those who take action by taking the bull by the horn.I studied international relations and during my nysc,i leanrt ICT and today when i do presentations for the DG and the board of directors,they keep asking if it was ict i did back in school due to my flexibility in it and they were even giving me an offer to come and work fully as a staff,but i declined.i prefer they pay me my millions and i leave as a consultant.The society is rotten already and everything seems to be going the opposite direction of normal.never allow that to pull you down but rather think out of the box of LAW.That you studied law doesnt mean you will be successfull through it.Dont relent and remember,its not over untill you win.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by millionboi(m): 3:55pm On Aug 18, 2015
obailala:
I also know so many rich lawyers and like you said, the mindset is the primary factor. The Op is just a fresh graduate from one of our Nigerian universities glorified secondary. She only studied the course to pass and right now, has absolutely no idea or exposure regarding what to do with her certificate.
u r fool?.....if u dnt ve anytin important 4d op,u shut up nd stop foolin urself
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by steppin: 3:57pm On Aug 18, 2015
eleko1:
That is even beta than being jobless/nuisance
Wow! You're jobless? Pele.
God will give you a job!
Ode!
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 3:58pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:
I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. So much that I didn't know when tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I am getting frustrated. To think I did everything right in school to ensure I left with with a 2:1 grade. I ask myself ,where did I go wrong? To make matters worse, my family members think all is well since I am a "barrister".

I am slowly beginning to regret my decision to be a lawyer. Though I am still serving as a batch C corps member,I get scared. So scared that I may have to take up work in a firm that pays 15000 naira. God knows I have tried. I have sent out more than 200 applications, yet nothing!

Which job recuitment site have I not signed up with? This was not what I envisaged for my career when I was being called to bar. Even in the midst of the mass failure of my set, I bagged a 2.2 from law school; still nothing to show for it. I know people from my university that graduated with 3rd class now working with top law firms.

Well, I have been told to stop wasting my time by applying for associate jobs on the websites of law firms. The reason being that they rarely employ lawyers anonymously. It is mostly through recommendation or connection. God knows I really want to practice law, but the job is not forthcoming. I have my rent to pay, bills to take care of and cannot survive on 15k a month after 6 years of going to school. I am open to suggestions anyways.

Someone even adviced [/b]I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. [b]Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me cold shoulders[/b]the . [b]I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

After december, I may have to think of something else to do.

Let me analyse some of the things wrong with the bolded portions in the order that they appear:

1. you are still serving, that presupposes that you're currently working. Why not be grateful for what you have now and trust God (if you believe in him) to provide for tomorrow.

2. never allow fear in your life, it paralyzes you. Fear is False Evidence Appearing Real. Who told you, you would take up a job in a firm of 15k?! Even if you did that isn't your bus stop. No one should despise little beginings and honest labour.

3. How hasty of you to conclude, in less than 3 years at the Bar, that you have nothing to show for your hard work and industry in school.

4. Don't live your life watching other people live theirs, Live your life!

5. I strongly advise that you change your company. you have the wrong advisers. I delibrately pick my friends, friends who are headed for success. Let me boast; there is no top law firm that in Lagos, and by extension Nigeria,that i don't have a personal friend or a friend of a friend. Change your company!

6. You see, don't ever depend on anyone. people don't help sometimes not because they dont want to help, they just don't have the means to and you can't blame them. I try as much as possible not to tie my destiny to what men can do for me, rather I look to God and trust him to use men to favour me. gerrit?

7. No dear, you're responsible for yourself. The person who gave you the privilege to be alive today is the one responsible for you. Look to him. If he can bring you this far, then I dont think he's incapable of providing just that opening that you need.

Cheers smiley

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Aug 18, 2015
247notire:
Lol. U think say I no like the job abi? Meanwhile we neva start recruitment now. But when we do I'll let u guys knw. How? well till then. U may need to keep tabs on my posts from time to time

I'll follow you on NL then...
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Obaf16(f): 4:02pm On Aug 18, 2015
Op u too dey rush,you r still serving. Okay wot do u expect me to do,i did my pop February 20 nothing yet, don't regret anything just pray
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by dam007(m): 4:03pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:
I woke up this morning with a lot on my mind. So much that I didn't know when tears started rolling down my cheeks.

I am getting frustrated. To think I did everything right in school to ensure I left with with a 2:1 grade. I ask myself ,where did I go wrong? To make matters worse, my family members think all is well since I am a "barrister".

I am slowly beginning to regret my decision to be a lawyer. Though I am still serving as a batch C corps member,I get scared. So scared that I may have to take up work in a firm that pays 15000 naira. God knows I have tried. I have sent out more than 200 applications, yet nothing!

Which job recuitment site have I not signed up with? This was not what I envisaged for my career when I was being called to bar. Even in the midst of the mass failure of my set, I bagged a 2.2 from law school; still nothing to show for it. I know people from my university that graduated with 3rd class now working with top law firms.

Well, I have been told to stop wasting my time by applying for associate jobs on the websites of law firms. The reason being that they rarely employ lawyers anonymously. It is mostly through recommendation or connection. God knows I really want to practice law, but the job is not forthcoming. I have my rent to pay, bills to take care of and cannot survive on 15k a month after 6 years of going to school. I am open to suggestions anyways.

Someone even adviced I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me the cold shoulder. I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

Listen queenfav, I felt this same way too and really, I must admit, the thought of being unemployed and being used recklessly without good pay is appalling. till a couple of months back, I was in that trouble too. I have one thing I can guarantee, God. I finished with the last set of law school students (Lagos Campus). The result came out recently and thankfully, I made it... That's not all, I submitted my cv in two companies In the state where I reside and now currently work... one of the two companies didn't respond.. these companies lest I forget aren't Law firms but they have a legal unit that handles all their legal matters including follow up of their pending suits, official letters and all sort. I'm yet to serve in fact but somehow, God came through for me.. the invitation for the job interview came, went for it and shortly after, I was called and just like that, I got the job. do not give up just yet, you're more than you think you are, its frustrating I admit but really, you don't really have to start with a law firm to get into something.. believe me dear.. tons of people are out there with the same problem, cast your net again, this time not for one but other kinds of fish too... don't let the demeaning things people on this thread or anywhere else get to you.. for the record queen, I finished law school in may, i'm not in anyway connected to anyone in my workplace but the only one I k now is God. And believe me when I tell you.. God is indeed amazing, if he fixed me, ohh c'mon.. He'll fixya.. cheer up girl wink wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by dam007(m): 4:07pm On Aug 18, 2015
SaiBuharii:
Law and Medicne are overrated in Nigeria.

Wanted to study law, but was discouraged it's not worth it. I'm sure I will have easily finished with a min of a 2.1 in both uni and law skul.

Put in for a 4 year course and I'm earning my cash. My mates dt put in for law are still eida in law skul or serving, when they come to the labour mkt, no advantage.

Start doing courses that will feed you well, not that will give u title.
cheesy easier said
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by eleko1: 4:07pm On Aug 18, 2015
If u need job,come to Elephant House.I dnt engaged a kiddo like U.omo ale jatijati
steppin:

Wow! You're jobless? Pele.
God will give you a job!
Ode!
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by kkboy(m): 4:08pm On Aug 18, 2015
Your mindset need to be reset to the reality on ground. It seems that your target was to be employed rather than generate your own opportunity. This is the mistake a lot are making now. It’s not too late to come to the realization that you need to create your own job rather than searching for who will employ you.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by walexpal(m): 4:08pm On Aug 18, 2015
Believe in yourself and the future. I equally started my career as Senior Accounting clerk with 40k/month with One of the Breweries then even as a chartered accountant. I can remember vividly that I do not even want to accept the offer then if not for the second person that was equally recruited for the same position out of more than 50 people that were interviewed then. Grudgingly, I accepted the offer. To cut the long story short, I was able to acquire relevant experience during my stay until I moved to one of the big 4s. Currently my salary is X8 of what I was initially paid at the start of my career.
Sometimes, it is not about the money you start with it, but about the knowledge and experience you are able to acquire which will in turn translate to money in the nearest future. If you are passionate right from the onset studying law, do not let money be your gauge now, let your focus be on knowledge acquisition and experience for now, sooner than you expect, your experience will start fetching you good money. All is well!

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 18, 2015
Guy, u are still serving and u are complaining like dis. There are people who after service, have spent yrs and are yet to get a job. So relax

I don't know ur location but u can apply to teach in pri or sec schs for a start.

1 Like

Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 18, 2015
Guy, u are still serving and u are complaining like dis. There are people who after service, have spent yrs and are yet to get a job. So relax

I don't know ur location but u can apply to teach in pri or sec schs for a start. While u continue searching for ur dream job.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 18, 2015
sucess001:

I have gone through this phase before...

However, its not as bad as you paint it. i served in Lagos and earned 25k (later 30k) as a youth corper in 2007. I expect that will be more now.

I worked my way through the dregs including law firms and small companies and now i am here. lets just say now i earn seven digits closer to eight digits) and i feel like i shud be earning more. The most important thing is to focus on enjoying your current state, improving your ability and capacity. recruiters will come for u.

Law jobs aint so hard to get. If this story is yours @OP...then...

Send me ur cv ayo_esq@yahoo.com

Mr Ayo! I see you!
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by emekaxy: 4:15pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:

Someone even adviced I start a business or learn a trade! Yes, that's how sad it is. Many may feel am overreacting. All fingers are not equal. Family members and friends I thought would be able to help out are now giving me the cold shoulder. I have cause to be worried since I am solely responsible for myself now. I can't even bear the thought of going back home to depend on my parents. If I had known it was going to be this way, I wouldn't have wasted my time and resources becoming a lawyer. What's the point? I am still looking and bringing myself to apply to firms.

Opp @ family members giving cold shoulder.
Go back to your profile and check #Rule 1.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by dam007(m): 4:17pm On Aug 18, 2015
josite:
im a lawyer for over 2 decades and what i can telll you right now is you are the one with a wrong mindset and a wrong approach to the market.You don't start any race discouraged .My best advice for you right now is to seek scholarship and do masters and possibly phd and get yourself started on a ladder that leads to professorship or perm sec.

You sounds surely as someone who is not prepared for the tough career of a legal practitioner in Nigeria which is even getting tougher by the seconds.Better still you can join customs or police or immigration or politics.

I will do one thing for you .send your cv .we can arrange a probation for you for a limited time in chambers but believe me if you cant add value,the probation will not be extended and you will certainly get more far in excess of 15000 during the probabtion and more than enough empowerment to finetuned your career direction.supply your gsm here and i will give you the email.

stop being pessimistic,start praying and never stop praying and hoping and working,even 2000 failed applications doesn't mean all the applications will always fail.you owe apologies to the profession because we dont know of any firm paying 15k monthly.
With profound respect sir, its the news that keeps flying around.. that gist has been on and subsisting for years.. only a few are brave enough to look past the discouragement the news brings...
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by ifyalways(f): 4:20pm On Aug 18, 2015
Where are u currently serving?

Find a law firm after service and apply to work with them for 3 months. An established firm oo and at any capacity. If u are really as good as u paint here, I'm sure they will retain u.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by oribi(m): 4:20pm On Aug 18, 2015
Alejhandro:

I don't know ur location but u can apply to teach in pri or sec schs for a start.

brother frustration fit make u forget say u dey serve feeling for the op but nigeria is really downward spiral...government need to put structures for future development of the youth
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by SaiBuharii: 4:21pm On Aug 18, 2015
ignis:
Sweetheart, It's not a mistake. Stop hating yourself for studying law.
The problem is not with law but the labour market is saturated like you rightly said. As a result most position is based on referral and connection.
Tell me the course you would have studied other than law, and I will tell you the number of first class and 2.1 graduates in that field still applying and searching for job.

Well, am a 2.1 Geology graduate, graduated as the best student of my department. Still searching for a career job. Does that mean I should start hating and blaming myself for studying Geology for five years? No ma.

The labour market is saturated with people that can't even pass a common test, people that can't look at managers eye ball to eye ball in interviews. Like I tell people, you don't need to know anybody to get a job. I finished in the popular class, and had several offers...just by passing tests and interviews.
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by dam007(m): 4:22pm On Aug 18, 2015
aribs:
Hey there,
I totally understand the way you feel right now. Its the same way I felt about 9 years back after youth service. my first salary was 5, 000 in Ibadan and I remembered thinking to myself "what have I gotten myself into?". now know this- the law profession is a great profession but it is a profession for hardworking people. the fact is the Nigerian economy is taking its own toll on the practice abilities of colleagues like yourself to sustain themselves. The seniors in the profession do not help the matter too. this is where you have to be creative and daring. for instance in my case I went to become a state counsel and later travelled out for my masters in the US. today I am an international tax counsel with knowledge in economics and finance. be creative ma'am. take whatever comes your way for now and get into the system. from there, drop the lawyer stiffness and talk to people and increase your social contacts . the connections will come like a trickle but nurture them till they become a flood. do what comes to you diligently and learn as much as you can. you have a unique knowledge not many people have . use it . I remember while I was a lawyer working for Oyo State, I volunteered for the difficult land cases. this made me know lots of people then in Ibadan. I went on radio to talk about new areas such as Alternative Dispute Resolution. the law certificate is just a mere ticket to the party. what you make of it is entirely up to you. I managed properties, sold land, marketed same , drafted agreements, sold diesel, formed companies for people, did divorces, evicted nonpaying tenants and so many more things I could not count. All legal and honorable. Get going and roll up your sleeves ma'am. I wish you all the best. Let me know how you are doing .
I'm really encouraged by your words sir..
Re: Did I Make A Mistake Studying Law? by ayooyee: 4:27pm On Aug 18, 2015
queenfav:

U didn't mak any mistake, wait fr ur time trust in God. V done 6k montly job bt today I thank God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

The Perfect Resignation Letter / Is Sweeping Of Roads The Riskiest Job In Lagos? (see PHOTOS) / KPMG Salary Structure: Salary Payment Of Staffs Of KPMG Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.